Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think it's more likely that the dipshits started doing it off their own backs, and then russia / right wing thinktanks / kochs / whoever noticed them and realised that funding these dipshits could pay off. And now you have a 2nd tier of dipshits who are copying the 1st tier purely to get their hands on the funding.

The entire mechanism would be a worthy book/long form podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it makes a lot more sense to suggest that we live in a fairly globalized society and horrible gits across the world are perfectly capable of having the same response to liberatory social movements independently, and find identical allies in the flag family faith weirdos.

Especially as it is very easy to draw lines between the complaints offered by the usual suspects in our current round of stupid whingeing from their side about everything under the sun, and the complaints that have been offered by their forebears all the way back through the centuries. It doesn't necessitate an external cause, they're just like that, they've been like that for a very, very long time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 6, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's a lot more evidence that nutters from the US are deliberately stoking the culture war than there is that nutters from Russia are doing it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most of the UK anti-trans stuff is funded by US fundies isn't it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they throw a lot of money at it but I think the impetus is decidedly domestic.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

This guy
https://www.ft.com/content/143bb08e-4d5d-11e8-97e4-13afc22d86d4

quote:

A British MP has used parliamentary legal protections to accuse Christopher Chandler, a New Zealand billionaire, of having been suspected of links to Russian intelligence.

Mr Chandler founded the investment company Legatum Group which set up the think-tank Legatum Institute. The group traded in shares of Russian companies in the 1990s

funded GB news.
https://www.legatum.com/news/article/investors-give-go-ahead-for-gb-news

There are frothing idiots pushing this poo poo for sure, but I'm very interested where the money comes from.

How does spiked online exist, for example? breitbart?

Even if the money isn't all russian, it seems a good moment to cast a light on it and say "look who's agenda this is"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

How does spiked online exist, for example?
Frank Furedi's mind worms are far too powerful to be contained within his head.

Also if you write "hmm actually shooting yourself in the dick is very good, but taxes are very bad" enough times Charles Koch appears and throws money at you like Prince Andrew trying to flirt at a school disco.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Donald trump literally supports the russian invasion and they still love him. You can draw a direct line between the stupid trans panic poo poo and the gay panic that came before it and the current rhetoric applied by far right idiots around the world, it just doesn't matter, they want it to happen. The people who believe the horrible poo poo fully internalize their beliefs and will not be dissuaded by trying to associate them with russia or whatever, and attempts to do that I think really only serve to try to externalize the problem from our society and ignore that it is our society that produces these people and these ideas and that the people who comprise and lead our society love those ideas irrespective of external provocation or support.

It didn't work when the liberals tried to say that donald trump, or brexit, or whatever else was a russian conspiracy, because whether it is even true is irrelevant, it is loved, advocated for, and enacted by people who live next door to you with their own minds and ideas as much as anything else in their life is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 6, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Manufacturing consent is a good book even if it is about bad poo poo. I'm glad it exists even if it didn't really help anything

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All you pasta scrubs need to get on the new hot pasta shape - cascatelli

https://theconversation.com/agnolotti-bucatini-and-the-innovative-new-cascatelli-a-brief-history-of-pasta-shapes-157747

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The BBC is now doing WW2-style shortwave broadcasts to Russia, which is kinda neat I think.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Quite like that one, I'll give it a try.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

jiggerypokery posted:

I have a pet theory that 90% of the "culture war" grifters have Russian money involved, either backing them or amplifying them.

I don't think that the whole thing is a psyop but I do think that pouring gasoline on the division it sows and the horrible politics that ensues is a no brainer investment for the kremlin.

Has anyone ever pulled this thread? Any books or anything that have dug in?

I've never read it, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics?wprov=sfla1 gets trotted out as Putin's playbook now and then.

Apparently recommends causing essentially Brexit, and weakening America by funding both sides of cultural conflicts & race wars.

Anyone ever read it?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

gently caress me, that is incredible

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
British exceptionalism at its finest:

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.[9]

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think that was also in the monster raving loony party manifesto

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like fairly standard fascist mythologizing tbh which you would expect from dugin given he is literally a nazi.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The BBC is now doing WW2-style shortwave broadcasts to Russia, which is kinda neat I think.

They only stopped the AM and shortwave World Service in like 2011, moving it all to the internet despite everyone pointing out the *extremely* large problem with that when dealing with totalitarian states.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They only stopped the AM and shortwave World Service in like 2011, moving it all to the internet despite everyone pointing out the *extremely* large problem with that when dealing with totalitarian states.

Case in point: Egypt 27th January 2011 (revolution officially started 25th Jan)

Apart from a few government connections and the Egyptian bourse, it was like that for almost a week.

I remember that evening, we were chasing proxies and they gradually closed down the proxies, then they simply took out the DNS tables, so if you had a dial-up (non-dial-up phone services were knocked on the head too) and knew the IP numbers of sites which were helpfully being broadcast on the tv, you could just about get through. Just enough to stick a message on facebook then that was it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2022

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So this might have been covered, but I was 'affected' by that big data breach of Labour's a while back.

I'm no longer a memeber, but I see theres a law firm trying to put together a class-action against them.

Obviously I don't really care much and I'm wary about giving my details to shady lawyers, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jabby posted:

So this might have been covered, but I was 'affected' by that big data breach of Labour's a while back.

I'm no longer a memeber, but I see theres a law firm trying to put together a class-action against them.

Obviously I don't really care much and I'm wary about giving my details to shady lawyers, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

Have a look in 'the other place' on CSPAM. There's a link to the form. Check out Jose's posts.
I decided to abandon mine after reading the legal agreement in full despite the law firm's reassurances which were along the lines of "we have to write it like that but don't worry it doesn't mean that".

Ed: found the link for you:

https://kellerlenkner-databreach.co.uk/labour-party/

Ed2: you need to still have the email (or a pdf or word version of it) you were sent else they can't proceed with your claim.

ed3: email dated 3/11/21 from privacy@labour.org.uk

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 7, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities and are increasingly frustrated that nobody is willing to drive blankets and bags of rice 1500 miles. They might be on board with donating via booking a 'holiday' in a house that probably doesn't exist any more.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities and are increasingly frustrated that nobody is willing to drive blankets and bags of rice 1500 miles. They might be on board with donating via booking a 'holiday' in a house that probably doesn't exist any more.

A lot of people on my FB are sharing it. Apparently AirBnB have also dropped any of their charges relating to the books.

People also recommending check it is an individual not a company hosting.

https://twitter.com/AirbnbHelp/status/1499780965316575235

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Eh I mean 5+% of power generated is lost to transmission over the grid. That's 3m peoples' power consumption. Local generation helps to lower that, I believe.

Yes but OP specifically wanted to generate it locally where it was much less efficient than that to do so....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities

....ANY charity? Why?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

....ANY charity? Why?

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have a look in 'the other place' on CSPAM. There's a link to the form. Check out Jose's posts.
I decided to abandon mine after reading the legal agreement in full despite the law firm's reassurances which were along the lines of "we have to write it like that but don't worry it doesn't mean that".

Ed2: you need to still have the email (or a pdf or word version of it) you were sent else they can't proceed with your claim.

I've no idea if that group case will get off the ground or not but that company are massively in debt and set off alarm bells.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 7, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lady Demelza posted:

I think AirBnB is a dire company driving people out of their homes so no, I'd not advise that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

As an admin person for a charity I can safely say that I don't even earn enough to pay tax. The TOTAL salary budget for this year for our charity is under £50k - that is 4 employees on part-time hours including the CEO. Well over 70% of our donations go out to our projects overseas (and very little of that is on salaries for our project partners - their salaries tend to be under £100 per month in sterling).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

I've no idea if that group case will get off the ground or not but that company are massively indebt and set off alarm bells.

Have you a link about that?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's as far as I've got too.

The email saying "our legally binding agreement states you are agreeing to pay our fees and costs but don't worry, if we lose we won't charge you anything" wasn't exactly reassuring.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1500521963642630148

:gary:

#WeStandwithUkriane

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 7, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you a link about that?

Only their companies house filings https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11937792/filing-history.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

#WeStandwithUkriane
We stand with UK, Riane

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hm yes. Nearly £7m.
Two charges registered and I've skimmed and can't find how much for. Not going to read all that to find the big numbers!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

:cry: :cry: :cry:

torygraph/business/2022/03/07/britains-private-schools-face-funding-shortfall-sanctions-wealthy

quote:

Britain’s private schools face funding shortfall as sanctions on wealthy Russians tighten
Institutions have been told they cannot accept fees or donations from clients on sanctions lists, or from banks subject to an asset freeze

(paywall or free for a month)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As an admin person for a charity I can safely say that I don't even earn enough to pay tax. The TOTAL salary budget for this year for our charity is under £50k - that is 4 employees on part-time hours including the CEO. Well over 70% of our donations go out to our projects overseas (and very little of that is on salaries for our project partners - their salaries tend to be under £100 per month in sterling).

Very laudable, Jaeluni. And then there's the Captain Tom Foundation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Very laudable, Jaeluni. And then there's the Captain Tom Foundation.

Yes I know. I would hope that many more charities are like the one I work for and not the big-salaried or rip-off merchant charities.

This is the top 50 (the rest of the top 100 are on a different image).

source: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2021-biggest-earners/management/article/1713966

So out of 166k charities in the UK (source: https://howcharitieswork.com/about-charities/how-many-charities/)

So there are about 166000 charities in the UKand the top 100 have highest pay £150k + so approx 99.9% have a top salary of less than £150k.

I'm not shilling for charities here (yes I am LOL) and I know there are different types of issues with charities as there are with any organisations but it's not really fair to categorize them all on the basis of the misdeeds of a tiny %.

Charity Salaries
"The average Charity salary is £27,987. Working in Charity you can earn between £20,020 and £41,581". (source: https://www.checkasalary.co.uk/salaries/charity)

I'm assuming that's full time.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 7, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Some of those being charities seems more than a little suss, to put it mildly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

The email saying "our legally binding agreement states you are agreeing to pay our fees and costs but don't worry, if we lose we won't charge you anything" wasn't exactly reassuring.
They literally do have to word it like that, that's not suspicious (however, check what they charge if they do win)