Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

How do I get to buy smithing stones

You find Bell Bearings you give to the hub merchant husk that increase their inventory with new items. They're usually dropped by a boss.

Exploring every mine that shows up on the map is a good idea if you have a good strike weapon and/or magic weapon. They're full of stones of all kinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Barudak posted:

In the sewers in the capital city (which are completely optional) do not go all the way through them to find the hidden shrine, then go through an invisible way to descend to the bottom of a great pit where a door made of fleshy fire stands and get nude and go through it. Thats the only lockout afaik.

That's extremely specific. Why nude

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am having trouble getting guard counters, is there some trick that I am missing?
Used to get the signal regularly in the early game, but it practically never shows up now. I am using the turtle shield, but tried some others. I also recently switched from ricard's rapier to the bleed spear, and have no breaks with both.

Also, the sleep sword is hilariously dumb. Opponents lying down to sleep so slowly that it makes more sense to just keep attacking.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

styls trill epic posted:

Is that what I'm supposed to do OP? Kill all of the guards? then what happens?

Have a look around for a cellar to get some stuff from. Take things from the stage coaches. Once you've had enough go somewhere else!

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

Have a look around for a cellar to get some stuff from. Take things from the stage coaches. Once you've had enough go somewhere else!

Then i go up and those guys shoot me with arrows and i can't even get near them

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

pentyne posted:

You find Bell Bearings you give to the hub merchant husk that increase their inventory with new items. They're usually dropped by a boss.

Exploring every mine that shows up on the map is a good idea if you have a good strike weapon and/or magic weapon. They're full of stones of all kinds.

I’m asking because I just did a mine in Atlus and the bosses were basically immune to my fire sword that I exclusively use. I had to use a base level hammer and thought I should upgrade one to carry around just incase, but no stones :arghfist:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Excuse the washed out HDR screenshots, but this made me laugh

:eyepop:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I’m asking because I just did a mine in Atlus and the bosses were basically immune to my fire sword that I exclusively use. I had to use a base level hammer and thought I should upgrade one to carry around just incase, but no stones :arghfist:

Yeah the boss who drops the bell bearing which lets you buy smithing stones 1 and 2 also requires a blunt weapon.

You can use an unupgraded one and be basically fine, it's not super hard. I did it with a +1 flail.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you don’t need upgrades if you use blunt weapons. Those crystals have poo poo poise so they go down every two hits so keeping them contained in a loop is pretty easy

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Anyone know why the Bloodflame Blade incantation doesn't work on some weapons?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ograbme posted:

Anyone know why the Bloodflame Blade incantation doesn't work on some weapons?

Some special weapons cannot have any changes made to them

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
There's a phase 2, go gently caress yourself Elden ring

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Cool. I need help for the first time on Malenia, blade of Miquella and of course I can't summon anyone because the signs are gone before I can even tickle them. Doesn't help that they're basically loading in from the past either.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is there a table/spreadsheet with the scaling values/multiplier ratios for the weapons yet? Trying to figure out how much effort is worth putting in to hunting down Smithing Stone [5,6,7]

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah you don’t need upgrades if you use blunt weapons. Those crystals have poo poo poise so they go down every two hits so keeping them contained in a loop is pretty easy

If you have a non-blunt weapon that's upgraded (a little? I don't know how much it takes), a wound up heavy should delay/stagger them enough to get a second follow up heavy attack in, which will break their poise allowing you to crit or light attack for the last bit of health.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Millicent is one of my fav fromsoft NPCs in a while, haven't finished her quest yet tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Is there a table/spreadsheet with the scaling values/multiplier ratios for the weapons yet? Trying to figure out how much effort is worth putting in to hunting down Smithing Stone [5,6,7]

If you have a non-blunt weapon that's upgraded (a little? I don't know how much it takes), a wound up heavy should delay/stagger them enough to get a second follow up heavy attack in, which will break their poise allowing you to crit or light attack for the last bit of health.

That does work (in fact I did it verses the first one) but atlas has two so relying on heavy attacks can get really annoying

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

VictualSquid posted:

I am having trouble getting guard counters, is there some trick that I am missing?

Guard counters are just guard (L1) an attack, then heavy attack (R2). You still have to actually block an attack though, it won't work raw. If you're getting a regular heavy attack you're probably not pressing the button fast enough.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
note that enemy attacks can stagger you before your guard counter connects, so only do it at the end of enemy attack strings

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Artelier posted:

Guard counters are just guard (L1) an attack, then heavy attack (R2). You still have to actually block an attack though, it won't work raw. If you're getting a regular heavy attack you're probably not pressing the button fast enough.
No, I mean I am standing in front of that dog I use to test. Holding L1, for around 20 attacks until I get bored. And I expect the sound cue for the guard counter, but it never appears.
If I try with other enemies, I hold L1 until I run out of stamina.

What is the special method for making this count as blocking an attack? It used to work, but I lost whatever habit made me accidentally do the correct thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you have any trouble with the awful spider-hands, strafe right on them, you may have to block or roll a time or two, but they miss more from that angle and then you can start hitting their gross wrist meat and I don't know if true, but it felt like I made them flinch way more hitting them there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

VictualSquid posted:

No, I mean I am standing in front of that dog I use to test. Holding L1, for around 20 attacks until I get bored. And I expect the sound cue for the guard counter, but it never appears.

What is the special method for making this count as blocking an attack? It used to work, but I lost whatever habit made me accidentally do the correct thing.

The chime comes when you hit R2. Anything hitting your shield should be enough and the timing window is pretty generous, just hit R2 after the dog attacks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

That's extremely specific. Why nude

Whats behind that door wants to touch you. Not your armor, you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

VictualSquid posted:

There's no sound cue. It plays a sound after you press R2, before the attack.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

The chime comes when you hit R2. Anything hitting your shield should be enough and the timing window is pretty generous, just hit R2 after the dog attacks.

Are you sure? I remember it differently.. Need to test some more.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yah… great. Dungeons boss: A scarlet toy giant tree snake. Thankfully optional. and my loving mimic keeps falling thru the floor. This thing is insane. Probably the hardest thing I’ve faced so far.

What reduces scarlet building? Mushroom? Is there something that can make it feel like nothing?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

there's no sound cue dude just press heavy attack after you block something with your shield

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

late game boss:

people are complaining about fire giant but i think that was actually one of the better bosses in this

visually impressive and no move spam while hitting hard.

of course i had mimic tear, hoarfrost and i also used my rot dagger on him in the first half.

still took me 5 tries.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yup, the chime sound is just there to tell you that you successfully pulled off a guard counter (or that an enemy pulled off their guard counter on you).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yes, I get it again now. No idea how I got confused like this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank you resetera, for never failing to amuse me with your hottakes. This late game boss is impossible (underleveled, undergeared, refuses to use ashe summons, doesn't use ashes of war, doesn't use bleed or other status effect weapon modifiers)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don’t even know what a “guard counter” is but I do know that the special critical hits only work some of the time for me. I can be behind an unaware enemy or even next to the glowing attack here spot of a stunned enemy and half the time I hit swing and my guy just swings normally.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I don’t even know what a “guard counter” is but I do know that the special critical hits only work some of the time for me. I can be behind an unaware enemy or even next to the glowing attack here spot of a stunned enemy and half the time I hit swing and my guy just swings normally.

make sure you stop moving before you try it, if you're doing anything else when you try to get a critical shot in, it overrides it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

for the reduvia bleed dagger, does anyone know if the bleed effect stacks up faster if you use strong attack or powered-up strong attack or jump attack vs light attack? same # of hits, or?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

endgame: how do you avoid taking damage from radagon when he does that air to ground missile attack, no matter when I dodge the radius is so larget I always take some damage

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 7, 2022

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

pmchem posted:

for the reduvia bleed dagger, does anyone know if the bleed effect stacks up faster if you use strong attack or powered-up strong attack or jump attack vs light attack? same # of hits, or?

Generally status is flat amount per hit, so faster is better than stronger

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm willing to claim that the fallingstar beasts are just Bad Design all around

they're permanently furious bullfight bosses made of living rock with projectile attacks, AOE and gravity powers. one of those things is bad enough, let alone all of the above. and you fight one in a space the size of a master bedroom

if there's a way to bring them down other than rot spam i'd be happy to hear it

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i'm willing to claim that the fallingstar beasts are just Bad Design all around

they're permanently furious bullfight bosses made of living rock with projectile attacks, AOE and gravity powers. one of those things is bad enough, let alone all of the above. and you fight one in a space the size of a master bedroom

if there's a way to bring them down other than rot spam i'd be happy to hear it

Hoarfrost

Stomp

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
So I manged to kill Radhan but he killed me with one of his stray black hole missile thingies so it doesn't count.

I have died to him a ton, but I never raged once, because unlike Sister Friede and her bullshit dash-into-20 hit combo I can't help but think he's bad.... on purpouse.

From him riding around on a hilariously small horse like a grown up on a kid's tricicle to his hilariously edge lord chaos meteor moves .
They even gave him his own cinematic that's basically "Once there was a great warrior, then he had some variant of "going hollow", and now you have to put him down"
Even the quest ends up being Everyone is lining up to get stomped by the baddes motherfucker ever , you know, kinda how everyone wants to know who the hardest new boss will be every time a new souls game is released .

He kinda feels like an elaborate joke on the players by From, as opposed to something unintentionally made poo poo like the Bed of Chaos, or the Singing Frog Semen of Dong.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also endgame, the boss after radogan used a magic attack that went on for at least 15 seconds, killing me when I finally ran out of stamina to roll, wtf???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That guy at the Royal Grave Evergaol sure gets chumped by parrying huh?