Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm trying to talk myself out of the 4K 65in yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I just bought a 65 inch Hisense G7. It's very nice!
Vast improvement over my 7 year old LG. Don't suspect I would have gotten much additional value out of the C1 for double the price. Just lack the aesthetic sophistication.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I'm guessing you mean the Costco R7G5 model? Did you compare it to the U6GR5?

Also, the Costco website shows that R7G5 has VRR support, which I highly doubt. Is there any indication that feature is available.?

Or did you mean the U7G?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
U7G.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Oh, of course, you said it was half the price of the C1, not 1/4 the price.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Looks like the 65in A95K is going to be launching around $4k according to Digital Trends. I'm looking forward to getting one around Thanksgiving when it's hopefully down to under $3k.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

So I'm trying to give in to the world of Smart TVs and retire a dumb Sony TV that did me well through the 1080p era. I managed all of my streaming apps on consoles in its lifespan.

Are there any TVs that have an acceptably snappy interface and decent remote for using smart apps?

My goal here is basically a mounted TV with no cabling / entertainment center type furniture at all -- the video games will go elsewhere. But I'm still having PTSD from built in guide functions on various cable boxes and TVs over the years -- responsive quick loading UI is seriously my number one concern. I once had a hotel room TV that lagged on the loving volume UP/DOWN controls and that is unacceptable in my house.

Or should I be getting something like an NVidia Shield or Apple TV and hiding something small like that behind the mounted TV?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 5, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got a Sony X90H and find it to be snappy with its AndroidTV implementation. Works great running Moonlight to stream games from my PC with an Xbox controller paired to the TV via Bluetooth. I don't have an antenna connected but use TVIRL to manage IPTV streams and EPG info. Feels just like I'm plugged into an antenna for all my local Australian TV channels. I assume the X90J/X95J/Ax0 OLED series are the same.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I am amazed at how fast and responsive the UI and app loading speeds of my LG CX are compared to my previous 8 year old LG TV.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I am amazed at how fast and responsive the UI and app loading speeds of my LG CX are compared to my previous 8 year old LG TV.

Unfortunately with c1 they made the homescreen unusable. Netflix or Plex work fine, but the homescreen is awful

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just ignore my CX smart features and have a chromecast with google tv that works very well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My Google tv is like an Android phone; much better with a factory reset after a year of updates.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm a fan of the Roku implementation in TCL/Hisense sets but I understand that switching out a streaming stick may be better than struggling with a TV UI.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw the Sony interface is almost exactly the same as Chromecast with Google TV. I still have one hooked up to an old LG dumb TV.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Or should I be getting something like an NVidia Shield or Apple TV and hiding something small like that behind the mounted TV?

I have a A80J and it's just barely good enough in my opinion, if you're very sensitive to button lag a shield is the way to go. On my last tv I had one double sided taped to the back of the TV with a 1 foot HDMI cable and it worked great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Roku is more stable but less versatile than Android TV. The poo poo that populates the theme and screen saver store is pathetic as well. Unfortunately not easily personalized either

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I need a basic 65" TV for a spare room. Only things running through it will be a RasPi running emulators, Plex, and maybe streaming platforms. Not a terribly bright room, and the lighting in it is fairly dim, as well. I'd like to keep it cheap because it won't get a lot of usage aside from kids. I've had the Hisense A6G at the top of the list, but I'm wondering if the U6G is worth the small bump in price? I am left curious if the A6G is really as poor as the rtings review makes it sound. Audio will be handled by a cheap soundbar I already have in the room. I don't have any affinity for a particular brand or OS and I'm open to other makes and models as well, but I'm aiming to keep it under or close to $500, if possible.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

MikusR posted:

Unfortunately with c1 they made the homescreen unusable. Netflix or Plex work fine, but the homescreen is awful

It's much better with ads blocked with a pi-hole or similar.

Another neat thing about LG's OLEDs is you can decline the EULA and use it as a dumb TV.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NickPancakes posted:

It's much better with ads blocked with a pi-hole or similar.

Another neat thing about LG's OLEDs is you can decline the EULA and use it as a dumb TV.

Roku TVs have an option to select an input as the default when you turn it on.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Roku TVs have an option to select an input as the default when you turn it on.
The LGs do as well, and you can assign any app or input to numbers so you never have to see the home screen if you don't want to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The latest GoogleTV OS has a "dumb TV" mode now, I use it on my TCL R646

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I much much much prefer the Roku UI (not cluttered bullshit) to the other smart UIs but you probably shouldn’t buy a tv based solely on that.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Is there any way to stop the pop-up menu from displaying every time I boot up an LG C1 to otherwise do something on a console I have hooked up to the TV?

I can hit one button on the remote to do so, so if there's no option to make that permanent it's not the end of the world. However, I'd like to not have to hit that one button so I can start enjoying the quality of the picture on this TV because drat three months in and it is leaps and bounds over the TCL LCD TV I had before and I'm real glad the thread convinced me to buy one.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

am I missing something or can I not do picture in picture with two HDMI inputs on my c1

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

My Google tv is like an Android phone; much better with a factory reset after a year of updates.

Seconding this - I use a stupid Toshiba Fire TV and the Amazon poo poo was crashing all the time. I begrudgingly factory reset it and it's better. Still kind of sucks but I don't want to buy a new TV anymore, at least until I can justify an OLED at some point.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Is there any way to stop the pop-up menu from displaying every time I boot up an LG C1 to otherwise do something on a console I have hooked up to the TV?

I can hit one button on the remote to do so, so if there's no option to make that permanent it's not the end of the world. However, I'd like to not have to hit that one button so I can start enjoying the quality of the picture on this TV because drat three months in and it is leaps and bounds over the TCL LCD TV I had before and I'm real glad the thread convinced me to buy one.
My pop-up menu goes away after a few seconds. Does your pop-up menu eventually go away? Maybe there is a menu setting on the C1? I setup my C1 about 6 months ago so I cannot recall any specific settings.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Has anyone come up with a good reuse for TV screen protectors? A big sheet of sticky plastic like that has to be good for something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm sorry, what the gently caress

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Baby Proof posted:

Has anyone come up with a good reuse for TV screen protectors? A big sheet of sticky plastic like that has to be good for something.

A disgustingly large fly trap?

:psyduck:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know how many schmucks are out there with awful children they refuse to discipline, and the number of broken TVs as a result of them? I mean I'd never heard of a TV screen protector either but I can see it

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

codo27 posted:

You know how many schmucks are out there with awful children they refuse to discipline (…)

I got this far and thought you were gonna suggest rolling bad kids up in the screen protector, like a burrito of punishment

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

You know how many schmucks are out there with awful children they refuse to discipline, and the number of broken TVs as a result of them? I mean I'd never heard of a TV screen protector either but I can see it

I used to have a coworker that shot his new tv with an airsoft gun when he thought it wasn't loaded :v:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tatsuta Age posted:

am I missing something or can I not do picture in picture with two HDMI inputs on my c1

I'm interested in hearing this too as I was disappointed to find that my QN90a could not do dual HDMI split screen (let alone 4 including apps, it's loving big enough) and the only options for the other side are Samsung's BS TV service and Youtube. Not sure why I can't use any other app on the other side, that'd service it well enough.

Finishing up my basement now and considering going the LG route depending on things like this.

e: Oh, and SO much wasted screen space on the multiview, huge missed opportunities to get closer to recreating the Back to the Future 2 experience.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Has Sony announced any plans for a ~75" QD-OLED?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

morestuff posted:

Has Sony announced any plans for a ~75" QD-OLED?

QD OLED are only coming in 55 and 65 inch this year regardless of brand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think most (if not all) TVs are unable to do dual HDMI for picture in picture. There's likely a technical limitation in how complicated it would be to wire up both inputs at once vs one being from an internal tuner or app.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Incessant Excess posted:

QD OLED are only coming in 55 and 65 inch this year regardless of brand.

nuts

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

bull3964 posted:

I think most (if not all) TVs are unable to do dual HDMI for picture in picture. There's likely a technical limitation in how complicated it would be to wire up both inputs at once vs one being from an internal tuner or app.

That probably makes sense. Can the LG do built-in apps on the other view? Having Comcast or an Xbox on one side and the ESPN, Netflix, or Comcast app on the other would also suffice.

How much wasted space is on the LG multiview?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I used to have a coworker that shot his new tv with an airsoft gun when he thought it wasn't loaded :v:

Better than the alcoholic up the road who literally shot himself in the foot while cleaning his gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

TraderStav posted:

That probably makes sense. Can the LG do built-in apps on the other view? Having Comcast or an Xbox on one side and the ESPN, Netflix, or Comcast app on the other would also suffice.

How much wasted space is on the LG multiview?

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w19/dvb/Contents/livetv/multiview_e_c_a/eng/w45__livetv__multiview_e_c_a__eng.html Seems like a lot. Also the options seem to be live TV one one and HDMI ports on the other. I'll try this out tonight if I remember.