Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or a car is a small enough purchase for them that any sympathy is a waste of time when the scale of their petty conflict is life changing for most people.

It definitely trends that way, but if a car is such a trivial thing that you think you need to buy another one, why do you expect the husband to do it instead of just buying one on your own?

It edges into ESH territory just for the fact that neither of them are talking to each other enough to understand what they're buying for their children on their birthdays, but the OP is absolutely the greater rear end in a top hat for her wild assumptions and not remotely understanding the difference between "18 year old with disability" and "16 year old with a hot-off-the-press license".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for taking the money I had for my sister's party so I can replace the iPad she stole?

quote:

My(17F) sister(15F) has the habit of takings things from my bedroom and keep them or lose them. My father has talked to her, ground her, make her pay them back but she just doesn't listen, my mom always takes her side and makes excuses for her. M dad had enough so he bough me an small safe (against my mom's wishes) and I keep some jewelry, make-up, my diary and gifts from my boyfriend (19M) Caleb.

Cal comes from a upper class family and he's always buying me stuff, most of it gets stolen by my sister but the most precious gift I have for him is an iPad pro he gave me for my 17th birthday on feb 14. I love to draw, is my hobby, my form of expression and how I relax. I used to do it in my laptop, but since Cal gave me the iPad now I can do it in my free time during classes, in the train, the garden, I have more options now. Cal also made a custom case that he paint with a lot of things for me. When I'm out of home I leave it in my safe because is one of the only things I didn't want to lose. And to be honest I don't want my sister putting her hands on it.

I spent two days at my brother's(21M) apartment planning my lil sister's birthday party, when I came back I went to take the iPad to sketch some ideas but I only found the case. I thought I had leave it somewhere else but I was sure I didn't, I also never took the case because is my favorite thing, I looked around my whole room, my dad's office and the garden, since I'm usually there all the time. I also called Cal and asked if I left it in his house but he said no. When my family came back I was awfully crying in the kitchen.

My dad asked what happened and I told her that I couldn't find my iPad. My mom said very lazily ''your sister lost it in the train yesterday''. I asked what and she said ''Your sister took it to school and lost it. Accidents happen, let it go''. I was actually livid, I said that my sister opened my safe (dunno how) and STOLE my tablet. My mom told me to shut up and to never call my sister a theft again, my dad got involved and after much fighting he said that my sister had to pay me back, my sister just said that she didn't had money and attempted to go to her room so I told her that I'll take the money for her party and just keep it for my iPad, she came right at me and told me that I couldn't do it, my mom sided with her and demanded the money but I said ''No, she owes me. I get to keep it'' and ran to my room.

My father said that I could do it and buy another one, my brother transferred the money a few hours ago and is sitting in Cal's account (because I don't have one yet), my sister has been crying because she just lost her sweet sixteen party and says a tablet is worth much less than that.

ETA: my brother is coming home in around 20 min to talk to my parents, I don't know why but it might be about my sister. Cal is also on his way here to install the lock:)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mx. posted:

AITA for taking the money I had for my sister's party so I can replace the iPad she stole?

Never thought I’d be like “go live with your 19 year old boyfriend, 17 year old girl!” But here we loving are.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would also argue that the 16yo is a bit of a sook. Storming off and sulking in his bedroom coz he didn't get a car.

*puts on old man voice* When I was his age I'd have been thrilled to get a brand new gaming console for my 16th birthday. And to expect to be gifted a car when you are still a teenager reeks to me of *old man voice intensifies* the entitlement of the youth of today

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

IOwnCalculus posted:

It definitely trends that way, but if a car is such a trivial thing that you think you need to buy another one, why do you expect the husband to do it instead of just buying one on your own?

It edges into ESH territory just for the fact that neither of them are talking to each other enough to understand what they're buying for their children on their birthdays, but the OP is absolutely the greater rear end in a top hat for her wild assumptions and not remotely understanding the difference between "18 year old with disability" and "16 year old with a hot-off-the-press license".

Depending on the state he may not even be able to get his real license for a few months/a year.

I get him feeling like poo poo because his mom set him up to. When I was 16 if my mom had hinted that I would be getting a car I wouldn’t been an insufferable little shut about it. I put it 98% on his mom and 2% on the step dad for never, like, talking to his wife at all about a several hundred dollar purchase of a gift for her son.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would also argue that the 16yo is a bit of a sook. Storming off and sulking in his bedroom coz he didn't get a car.

*puts on old man voice* When I was his age I'd have been thrilled to get a brand new gaming console for my 16th birthday. And to expect to be gifted a car when you are still a teenager reeks to me of *old man voice intensifies* the entitlement of the youth of today

I mean, a console is a great present, but I figured that was the difference between getting a console for your birthday, and getting a console for your birthday after you've essentially been told you're getting a car.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I mean he expected it because his mom hinted at it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean he expected it because his mom hinted at it.

yeah being disappointed is fine, going to sulk in your room in the middle of your birthday party is decidedly not, 16 or not

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChickenDoodle posted:

Never thought I’d be like “go live with your 19 year old boyfriend, 17 year old girl!” But here we loving are.

Wanna know how sister got in the safe and how the hell dad remains married when he seems decently reasonable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Barudak posted:

Wanna know how sister got in the safe and how the hell dad remains married when he seems decently reasonable.

Its especially weird because she claims no one else knew the password and she came up with an essentially random one (birthday of an anime character when she doesn't give a poo poo about anime so no one was likely to guess it).

I would assume there's some master key or override depending on the model and mom has it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

yeah being disappointed is fine, going to sulk in your room in the middle of your birthday party is decidedly not, 16 or not

16 year olds are still pretty lovely and given the behavior of this kid's mom, it's probably not much of a stretch to say the kid hasn't been taught the best set of skills to handle life in general.

And, again, was set up for this expectation by mom.

Zore posted:

I would assume there's some master key or override depending on the model and mom has it.

Probably this, and/or it's just a hilariously unsecure piece of poo poo. Watch some Lockpickinglawyer videos, the vast majority of "security" products on the market are a blatant lie. Yes, he's a skilled lock picker, but most things he's able to defeat with very rudimentary tools and methods.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
I wanna know what the entitled mom got her stepson for his 18th birthday. I'm guessing nothing, since it wasn't mentioned.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Hughlander posted:

AITA for leaving early from my husband's work event?

Just because your dad died you left a party early!?!? YOU MONSTER!

there's gotta be some massaging of the facts going on here or something. i refuse to believe this is truth. no one can really ask if they're an rear end in a top hat for leaving a party upon finding out their dad died

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

its_my_birthday posted:

there's gotta be some massaging of the facts going on here or something. i refuse to believe this is truth. no one can really ask if they're an rear end in a top hat for leaving a party upon finding out their dad died

Throwaway account on an AITA post, with a huge bait-and-switch title. Take with a pinch of salt.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Cars, like pets, shouldn’t be surprises, for very similar reasons, because they require care and upkeep, and they need to fit into the life of the recipient. As such, it should be a conversation. That way, everyone’s on the same page and on board with what’s going down.

So dad’s an rear end for not communicating, OP’s an rear end for baselessly leading 16YO on, and 16YO is kind of an rear end for pouting over a pretty generous gift, but at least has the excuse of being that bubbling vat of emotions and hormones known as a teenager.

I’d say the real potential problem is two years from now, should dad try to rationalize not buying the kid a car. Dad gave a whole host of reasons to buy the older kid a car, and most of them will ring true for the younger kid too, excepting the disability. And since dad hasn’t just said “Well, this is something we can revisit in two years when your situations are more alike,” I feel like he’s really gearing up for that.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's what I always heard too and yeah, I've seen it a few times in practice.

In my experience it's still okay for a healthy conservative to get angry at cops for speed traps. Because, y'know, any talk of widespread corruption or racial bias would just be unamerican to even consider, but the instant they come after my money....:argh:

wtf is a healthy conservative lol

One step beyond speedtraps is red light/speed cameras, which even cops themselves disapprove of because they can't say "hey, i'm a cop too, don't give me a ticket" to a robot and they like to speed in their personal cars.

value-brand cereal posted:

Yeah I'll admit I've picked this up in passing from rare, random youtubes about whoa, scary things around the word caught on camera door bells, so the trafficking bit might be full of poo poo, for the clicks. Do you have any article links or info about the qanon stuff you mentioned? I don't doubt you, but I'm interested in knowing this better so I'm not repeating hateful conspiracy poo poo like flat earth antisemitism. Thank you, if you do.

In addition to what's been said, here is some additional detail on human trafficking, urban myths about it spread by the fox news crowds, and how human trafficking actually works if you are interested in learning more.

AITA for telling my daughter to rush her art project

quote:

My (47M) autistic daughter (F17) used to be good in all her classes when she was in grade 8 to the point where her grammar tutor suspected that she might have been gifted. We never got her tested since she would go on to IB in high school. Recently, in grade 11, she was struggling a lot in her classes. We got her tutors for math, chemistry, and French since she was struggling in all of them, and she needs her math credit for the uni program she wants to after graduating.

Two days ago, she confided in me about how she was suffering a lot from burnout and felt bad since she's afraid that she'd never get good grades in her classes, let alone be a functioning adult. I understood and told her that she shouldn't overwork herself and we can get her therapy to help her overcome her burnout. Today was her first therapy session and she told us that she and her therapist were able to come up with a trial schedule for this week.

Since yesterday, she's been working on a project for her art class (regular program, not IB). My wife (43F) and I kept telling her to finish it ASAP, but our daughter kept insisting that she needs a few days. Today, I walked into her room and saw her colouring. I told her that it was beautiful but she should rush it. She said she can't. I reminded her that her uni required math credit was more important than a class that wasn't even IB. She snapped telling that she's already doing getting mediocre grades art and her friends who are better artists than she is needed to take several days to finish theirs. I told her that her friends are almost better at all their classes than hers and that I bet that they wouldnt need to catch up over the school break next week (at this point, she was behind in her homework and classes). She reminded me that her homework either dont have a defined deadline or theyre for classes that she doesnt need to worry until after the break.

Then I told her that we made several bad decisions and "letting her go into IB was the biggest one". That if I could go back a few years when she was in grade 8 and she asked us if she could apply, I'd say no, and that we won't make the same mistakes for her brothers. She went silent and her face turned into an angry scowl. I told her that she should lower her art project quality and rush it so she work on her other class. I'm just concerned that she's wasting all her time on her art project when she could work on her other classes.
Future estranged parent time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
*Rhythmic table pounding*
Ac-id Vat! Ac-id Vat! Ac-id Vat!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

oof, bodied

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for “forcing” my roommate to miss her finals exam that she spent 2 years studying for?

quote:

Context: I live with a roommate and her 3 year old child. Roommate is a fourth year medical student and is really struggling, having to balance with child, intense study workload, chores and part time jobs to afford rent, babysitter and necessities.

On the day of the biggest exam of her entire degree, her babysitter canceled last minute. She was absolutely frantic and hysterically called every-one of her contacts to help. Of course, she asked me. She has asked me before to babysit and I always give a stern no. It’s not the time that I need to spend (since I’m perfectly fine with swapping around chores), but the principle that I must be responsible for the child for the duration, eg if the child hurts himself, no matter how badly, it would be on me. And I refuse to take that responsibility for something like that so I always refuse to babysit.

She begged and begged me, and since the journey to her exam center is almost 2 hours and she needed to go NOW, she just said “I don’t loving care” and left the house. Frankly I found this quite disrespectful as it is trying to push me to babysit without my consent.

Right after she left, I grabbed my coat and also left. She was starting her car when she saw me and asked what I was doing. I told her I was going to watch a movie (I lied, I just refused to babysit without consent). Her eyes dropped and I could see the tears forming as she started begging me more to help her. I still explained the same thing that it’s not the time or effort, but the responsibility. She told me she would sign a waiver that states I am 100% not responsible no matter what happens. I am not an expert in law and not sure if such a waiver is even legally enforceable. Even so, it still carries the responsibility risk, so I stand my ground.

Eventually, she became quiet and start sobbing whilst hitting herself. I, as respectably as I can, ask if there is anything I can help with that does not involve babysitting the child. She told me to “gently caress off”, so I did and actually went to watch a movie.

It’s been a few weeks and she still absolutely refuses to communicate with me. She does still do her share of the chores and we were pretty separate beforehand so it wasn’t that much of a difference in day to day life.

I do feel pretty bad, since I’ve seen for the past 2 years we’ve lived together that she has almost no free time, and always sleeps later than me and wakes up earlier than me to cram in a little bit of extra study. I know the exam meant a lot to her and missing the exam might jeopardize her entire degree of four years (I didn’t think it would be appropriate for me to ask). It sucks that her efforts for the past 2 years has gone down the drain but that’s not an excuse to cross my bottom line.

AITA?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
While normally I'm pretty pro-acid vat, A 16 year old kid who is hormonal and upset leaving to sulk in his room is definitely a healthier reaction then going to the party and being depressed around everyone else. Even if it's noticeable it's better to extricate yourself and feel your emotions in private then blare them like a siren at a party that's all about you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boba Pearl posted:

While normally I'm pretty pro-acid vat, A 16 year old kid who is hormonal and upset leaving to sulk in his room is definitely a healthier reaction then going to the party and being depressed around everyone else. Even if it's noticeable it's better to extricate yourself and feel your emotions in private then blare them like a siren at a party that's all about you.

i don't think anyone thinks the kid is acid vat worthy, his mother is obviously a real piece of work

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

AITA for “forcing” my roommate to miss her finals exam that she spent 2 years studying for?

This one's gotta be fiction designed around "how can I make myself look the most bad"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

if you're that loving weird about kids why the gently caress do you live with that person?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

mediaphage posted:

i don't think anyone thinks the kid is acid vat worthy, his mother is obviously a real piece of work

To be fair, I had no clue what this meant and tried to use context clues.

That mother loving sucks though, Idk why she'd do that unless buying a car was like buying a beer or something

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mx. posted:

Thankfully Reddit has come to the unanimous decision that this person is a monster and an rear end in a top hat and are wondering why the gently caress she is living with this woman who has a child unless she was waiting for the chance to pull this "I'm technically correct so I'm allowed to pull this rear end in a top hat stunt" move.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Invisible Clergy posted:

So, I'm guessing here that "IB" doesn't mean irritated bowel?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, I'm guessing here that "IB" doesn't mean irritated bowel?

International baccalaureate (https://www.ibo.org/)

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

I both wish I had access to such a school and am glad I didn't. I was supremely bored in high school, but I would have burned out as quickly in high as I did in college if was given a harder curriculum. At least I was able to graduate high school easily instead of failing like I did in college.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Yeah but no more of a sook than is common at 16.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
guys just a friendly reminder to wash flush and rotate your acid vat regularly. you do NOT want to know how much those acid vat repair guys charge. and the questions... imagine having to explain how the intake filter got clogged with "hair and what appear to be bone fragments". embarassing beyong belief

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

They're a bit like AP classes in that they're a way to get college credit while still in high school, but more rare in the U.S. They also trend towards wanting the student to take the classes on as part of an overall IB program (where critical thinking skills are emphasized across all classes), rather than the a la carte model of AP classes.

So the daughter is getting her butt kicked a bit by ramping up her classes and her mom is handling the fallout poorly. The parents are doing the Good Parent™ moves of therapy and tutoring, but the mom doesn't really understand burnout and is trying to micromanage her daughter back to success. With the kicker of saying that the daughter joining an advanced program is one of her biggest regrets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

They're a bit like AP classes in that they're a way to get college credit while still in high school, but more rare in the U.S. They also trend towards wanting the student to take the classes on as part of an overall IB program (where critical thinking skills are emphasized across all classes), rather than the a la carte model of AP classes.

They're also notable for rejecting "pure STEM" and insisting on foreign-language, art etc as part of mental development.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Is this cheating?

quote:

So, my boyfriend and his friends got drunk and dared one of them to drink a shot of cum. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea? Anyway, it ended up being my boyfriend who came in a cup, and his friend drank it.

I got very upset by this and he didn't understand why, i told him I was upset because that is an intimate thing, he still didn't get it. I need to know if this is cheating, it's been months and I can't look at him the same ever again. Am I being crazy or is this a valid reason to be upset?

(added paragraph breaks)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is this cheating?

(added paragraph breaks)

It's not cheating but it's a great loving reason to break up if that's representative of his main social group

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My experience with IB was that it was just an extra set of workload ontop of the normal HS stuff. It's only in effect one big essay for the student while making sure you're taking a bunch of classes you where gonna take anyways (the syllabus is mostly for faculty to figure out). That was several decades ago however.

Seemed like a cool opt-in foreign thing when I did it, compared to the other opt-in foreign thing which was the study-for-the-exam-not-the-knowedge and pay-to-win approach SATs seemed to have.

edit: to be ontopic, acid vat that lady, but unless you're specifically trying to use the IB to enter uni then differentiating between IB and non-IB-adapted HS courses is dumb as hell.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 7, 2022

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Invisible Clergy posted:

Future estranged parent time.

highschool sucks, my daughter is in therapy, she wants to spend more time working on projects that are actually enjoyable to her, and berating her isn't helping :iiam:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for buying a Tesla without consulting my wife?

quote:

It's not secret gas is getting unbearable. Yesterday I told my wife we should get an electric car. She agreed.

We talked about a few different kinds and I said I wanted a Tesla. She made some comments about not liking Elon Musk but didn't say anything about the actual CAR besides that I should test drive one before setting my heart on it.

So today I went to go test drive one and one thing led to another and I qualified for a really great deal and I ended up starting the financing for the car and signing the paperwork. There was limited time as apparently everyone else has the same idea of moving to an electric car. There are some things let to finalize but everything should be good to go Monday and we should have the car in two weeks. I was really excited but to say my wife is pissed is an understatement.

She says we can't afford the payments which obviously isn't the case since the financing is pretty much approved and if we can't afford it the financing won't be finalized Monday. Also we can't afford gas as it is so long term this is going to be cheaper. Also the downpayment I took from our savings will be replaced when we sell our current car.

I'm banished to the couch and she is demanding I go back tomorrow and undo everything but I don't think that's even possible at this point and I don't want to. We agreed that this was a good idea, she suggested I do the test drive. I don't think I'm the rear end in a top hat but clearly she does so AITA?

Update: So I read all the comments and slept on it. My wife came this morning and threw a lot of numbers I hadn't considered fully at me like our utilities bills and maintenance and possible repairs on the car and reminded me we are still paying off my car for 8 more months (I thought it was already paid off because I stopped seeing the monthly but I forgot we switched it to come out of the joint account which she manages mostly.) So I won't get as much as I thought for selling my car because the remaining loan needs to be accounted for.

So I'm calling tomorrow and seeing if I can cancel everything. My wife says I can. I was really excited and obviously let that cloud my judgment. I'm scared of what will happen if gas keeps going up but my wife has some solutions so thanks for priming me so well for her dressing down Reddit I definitely deserved it and will not be doing anything like this again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Funktastic posted:

AITA for buying a Tesla without consulting my wife?

Is getting financing from the dealership ever not a complete scam?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Why would the car dealership give me financing that wasn't something I could afford???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Significant other is a physician and we have a friend who almost exactly matches OPs roommates (not wealthy single mom med student with little extended family support) so that really boiled my blood for a sec.

It’s thankfully probably not real because it would be step 2 exam and it’s way way too late in my understanding for a 4th year to be taking step 2 around this time.