Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

if there were in a scenario where ukraine could end the invasion solely by recognizing crimea and donbas independence, they would be complete idiots to not take it. that is giving up poo poo they already don't have and can't get back anyway.

No, because giving them up simply ensures that Russia will do it again with new regions then invade them again in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ynglaur posted:

If Ukraine mobilizes 1M people, that's about 200 brigades on paper. Probably less, but even at 200 brigades that's about one Javelin for every single squad of infantry. That doesn't count NLAWS. That doesn't count existing inventory. That doesn't count the RPG-7s, RPG-12s, and all the rest.

So, yeah : Russia will run out of armored vehicles long before Ukraine runs out of Javelins.

Which is crazy. I mean civilian vehicles getting hit by an nlaw or javelin seems like it would do an insane amount of damage to both the truck and cargo. But this threat will never be contained. Russia will lose this war either now or in a while because they won't have a loving vehicle larger than a Schwinn.

<--- I cannot stop laughing at this white text and photo combo hahahaha holy poo poo

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I think these guys are saying Putin is making bank.

https://twitter.com/RobinBrooksIIF/status/1500468395573231621
and
https://twitter.com/elinaribakova/status/1500615240505085952

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

if there were in a scenario where ukraine could end the invasion solely by recognizing crimea and donbas independence, they would be complete idiots to not take it. that is giving up poo poo they already don't have and can't get back anyway. it would be a massive defeat for russia, they'd have gained literally nothing for all their losses.

In terms of PR Russia could spin it at home as a win, though. That may be very important.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looks like the next objective must be sanctioning oil and gas

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

This may be true but if u have those dollars but can't use it to buy ANYTHING else, what is that going to do for you? 1 trillion in the bank when you cant use it on anything none oil related doesn't help.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Was Zelensky not willing to give up Crimea and Donbass?

Ukraine probably could have even swallowed "neutrality." The main horrible sticking point for me seemed to be the Russian demand for Ukrainian demilitarization. It was a complete non-starter since it was obviously asking for Ukraine to be perpetually vulnerable to a Prague Spring-style crush every time the government displeased Putin.

I don't know what it takes to get a Russian negotiation in good faith, but I didn't see any of that in the run-up to this horrible war we have on our hands.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

if there were in a scenario where ukraine could end the invasion solely by recognizing crimea and donbas independence, they would be complete idiots to not take it. that is giving up poo poo they already don't have and can't get back anyway. it would be a massive defeat for russia, they'd have gained literally nothing for all their losses.

Yeah, they can have the Sudetenland if they just promise to stop there.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Deteriorata posted:

No, because giving them up simply ensures that Russia will do it again with new regions then invade them again in a few years.

i mean, russia has held all of crimea and much of donbas either overtly or clandestinely since 2014 and ukraine's lack of acknowledgement of that hasn't prevented their aggression at all. that price is basically giving up something they already didn't have, which means it isn't giving up anything at all. it would be purely a face-saving measure to allow putin to claim a victoy after exiting the country.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 7, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

"
Two large aircraft on the deck at Gomel Airport in SE Belarus earlier today, some 48 km from the Ukraine border. Their size and shape suggest they are likely Ilyushin Il-76, commonly operated by/for the Russia Military. Imagery: Sentinel-2
"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Eric Cantonese posted:

Ukraine probably could have even swallowed "neutrality." The main horrible sticking point for me seemed to be the Russian demand for Ukrainian demilitarization. It was a complete non-starter since it was obviously asking for Ukraine to be perpetually vulnerable to a Prague Spring-style crush every time the government displeased Putin.

I don't know what it takes to get a Russian negotiation in good faith, but I didn't see any of that in the run-up to this horrible war we have on our hands.

demilitarization as in literally no army, that is effectively being ruled by russia and obviously should be rejected out of hand. if demilitarization just means 'don't put missiles in your country,' probably something they could live with.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Private Speech posted:

Regarding Britain they are doing stuff, they took in whole 50 total refugees and everything.

Here's a celebratory BBC article about it: BBC News - Ukraine war: UK grants 50 Ukrainian refugee visas so far

e: They did help a bunch with the military side of things to be fair.
Lol even Canada states they've taken in like 6K refugees* and are promising to take in more. And we have an ocean in the way.

*counting people who left in 2022 prior to outright hostilities

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1500673088660201474

I figured the Israelis would take advantage of the situation.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Competitive sports people are exactly the kind of hilariously petty type to do that sort of thing. I fully believe he did it intentionally and with no coercion.

Even if it's a thread about war in Ukraine, as a goon, never let an opportunity to let people know you're still mad you got picked last in gym class pass you by.

i mean, russia has held all of ukraine and much of donbas either overtly or clandestinely since 2014 and ukraine's lack of acknowledgement of that hasn't prevented their aggression at all. that price is basically giving up something they already didn't have, which means it isn't giving up anything at all. it would be purely a face-saving measure to allow putin to claim a victoy after exiting the country.

I'd argue the lives of its civilians and the cost to rebuild itself following this may incur 'giving up' one or more things, depending on who you ask (the people of Ukraine).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Zhanism posted:

This may be true but if u have those dollars but can't use it to buy ANYTHING else, what is that going to do for you? 1 trillion in the bank when you cant use it on anything none oil related doesn't help.

He's getting hard currency. China is happy to take hard currency. Maybe India. And any other country willing to. There's plenty of poo poo to buy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, they can have the Sudetenland if they just promise to stop there.

well, in this case they would have already held sudetenland for nearly 8 years and also this alternative universe sudetenland would itself not even be all that interested in returning to its mother country (or in the case of crimea, absolutely opposed to it).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

It’s saying to Russia that there’s more anti tank weapons than they have vehicles (tank or otherwise). They’re being warned that they will get hosed up and lose most of their conventional warfighting capability if they keep pouring more poo poo into this conflict.

I think the way Russia is preparing the ground for a nuclear or biological false flag is a sign of their desperation. Their senior people might be happy to get high off their supply but I can’t imagine any country would have much difficulty seeing through Russia’s poo poo.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Big Beef City posted:

I'd argue the lives of its civilians and the cost to rebuild itself following this may incur 'giving up' one or more things, depending on who you ask (the people of Ukraine).

sorry, not sure what you're arguing here. if the alternative would be the war continuing, that would entail significantly more lives and cost than taking a peace deal. i don't think it is realistic to see any favorable outcome for the people of ukraine that doesn't involve a settlement at the table, they aren't going to rout the russians off the field.

to be clear, i think russia making those demands alone is not likely because their goals are maximalist, but i am just saying that there is no way crimea wouldn't be on the table in any peace deal. it's not like ukrainian forces are going to take it back ever.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Zelensky could not do such a thing legally, never mind everything else involved.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

"
Two large aircraft on the deck at Gomel Airport in SE Belarus earlier today, some 48 km from the Ukraine border. Their size and shape suggest they are likely Ilyushin Il-76, commonly operated by/for the Russia Military. Imagery: Sentinel-2
"

Surely not another unsupported airborne assault… surely

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Albino Squirrel posted:

Lol even Canada states they've taken in like 6K refugees* and are promising to take in more. And we have an ocean in the way.
Not to dismiss the shittiness of Boris Johnson and UK Conservatives, but Canada is a bit of an unfair comparison since there's millions of Canadians who are of Ukrainian descent so that will be a big motivating factor to bring over refugees.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Zhanism posted:

They can in fact buy lots of things with those dollars, most of the world and most of the countries Russia trades with has not sanctioned it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

the popes toes posted:

He's getting hard currency. China is happy to take hard currency. Maybe India. And any other country willing to. There's plenty of poo poo to buy.

North Korea is probably sending their latest military catalog as we speak.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

OddObserver posted:

Zelensky could not do such a thing legally, never mind everything else involved.

I might get laughed out of the room for this, but could you explain why? The Minsk agreements?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gay picnic defence posted:

Surely not another unsupported airborne assault… surely

Peacekeepers and humanitarian goods to be air dropped unfortunately the beast Ukrainian keeps shooting down the planes trying to deliver these needed supplies

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the popes toes posted:

I think these guys are saying Putin is making bank.

this isn't exactly accurate because russian oil doesn't sell at market price, it's at a huge discount because no one trusts them to be able to deliver it and/or don't want to be involved.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

i mean, russia has held all of ukraine and much of donbas either overtly or clandestinely since 2014 and ukraine's lack of acknowledgement of that hasn't prevented their aggression at all. that price is basically giving up something they already didn't have, which means it isn't giving up anything at all. it would be purely a face-saving measure to allow putin to claim a victoy after exiting the country.

Russia has held all of Ukraine clandestinely since 2014? What loving pot are you drinking out of

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM

Deteriorata posted:

Russia can steamroll Ukraine whenever it wants militarily and has nuclear weapons to prevent others from coming to their aid, so they can take what they want anyways. The alternative to capitulation is perpetual conflict which the Russians are probably fine with.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Djarum posted:

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1500673088660201474

I figured the Israelis would take advantage of the situation.

I guess the talks between Bennett and Putin didn't go well

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Trump posted:

Russia has held all of Ukraine clandestinely since 2014? What loving pot are you drinking out of

mistyped, meant crimea

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah wait what?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I might get laughed out of the room for this, but could you explain why? The Minsk agreements?

The Ukrainian constitution requires changes to the country's borders to be done only via referendum. (I don't remember whether this is in an amendable section or not, though).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

sorry, not sure what you're arguing here. if the alternative would be the war continuing, that would entail significantly more lives and cost than taking a peace deal. i don't think it is realistic to see any favorable outcome for the people of ukraine that doesn't involve a settlement at the table, they aren't going to rout the russians off the field.

to be clear, i think russia making those demands alone is not likely because their goals are maximalist, but i am just saying that there is no way crimea wouldn't be on the table in any peace deal. it's not like ukrainian forces are going to take it back ever.

Mr Zelensky steps out of his plane on returning from the conference, waving a sheet of paper in the air and declaring "Peace for our time"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mebh posted:

I mean, look at this poo poo.

Boohoo our private schools that entirely flow into our political class are having funding issues because of these mean sanctions! Won't somebody think of our poor rich children as they burn bank notes in front of the plebs!

I have good reason to be bitter at our atrocious immigration policy. My best mate is Ukrainian and her family couldn't come here due to it. Now they're stuck near Kyiv and she's basically a complete wreck and has barely slept since this started. Like everyone who has relatives, friends, loved ones etc. there I imagine. All I have left is just... Anger.

As a UK citizen, that bit about the private schools just made be laugh aloud so hard.

But yeah gently caress UK immigration policies and gently caress Boris' limp dick clown attempts at responding to the invasion of Ukraine. On the plus side, maybe London property values will finally tank and my brother will be able to buy a place.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NTRabbit posted:

Mr Zelensky steps out of his plane on returning from the conference, waving a sheet of paper in the air and declaring "Peace for our time"

they're already at war...? what exactly do you think a realistic, good outcome for ukraine looks like?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

A New Dad posted:

Russia can steamroll Ukraine whenever it wants militarily

Whoa, I knew the forums were glitchy but this dude's post was delayed two weeks? Yikes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A New Dad posted:

I mean people keep saying this, but the evidence of this week suggests otherwise

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

this isn't exactly accurate because russian oil doesn't sell at market price, it's at a huge discount because no one trusts them to be able to deliver it and/or don't want to be involved.

Yeah, didn't shell finally buy a tanker that hadn't sold twice just recently? But it was $28.50/barrel discount which is just crazy and set a record for a shipment below market price. Oil prices effectively didn't rise hardly at all for the russians.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Xerxes17 posted:

lmao you're quoting from sputniknews you absolute deadshit.
I think that was the point... that Russia is mirroring the claim about Syrian fighters being used made brought up in this post

edited for clarity

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

A New Dad posted:

Is that why they...haven't done it?