Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Okay caught up. I watched group E in a food poisoning haze so I don’t recall much, they were pretty straightforward games with usually the better players winning I think? Also a more dynamic TvT than you usually see

Group F had the return of JD which was pretty fuckin hype. Probably starts with the worst game of Ro24 though yikes. The level of pros is nuts, where the worst guy in the ASL gets that demolished, and he’s probably top 50 players of the game ever or something.

Also during winner interview JD being visibly nerve wracked and having issues during the interview is surprising. You’d think a guy with such history in the game would be over that, but I guess he was stressing his return pretty hard! So happy to see him make it through and get back into the game after his service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdA3TatEWRQ

Group A. Just started watching it but the video is almost 4 hours long :allears:

e: the last match in the losers set is amazing

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 4, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Good games!

They are still getting $10,000/month on their patreon for ASL English. So happy ASL is around in english.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 5, 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mini has no confidence in his PvT against top tier Terrans apparently

and he appears to be correct, just some baffling decisions from him in group selection

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

It's not every day you see firebats fighting probes, but the opportunity arose, and it worked pretty well.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nostalgamus posted:

It's not every day you see firebats fighting probes, but the opportunity arose, and it worked pretty well.
guy in the chat has recommended artosis do that thousands of times

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

New one is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd-ASvJ400M

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

oh god the bait turret

Also, I was checking some things on liquipedia, and...

quote:

Firebats deal full damage to Protoss shields, and are questionably viable as a surprise early game attack in an Infantry based-build. However, standard TvP, which involves Factory units, is generally more effective. Occasionally, a Terran player will land a Barracks at a Protoss expansion and produce Firebats, with the intent of harassing the expansion.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/Firebat
How long has this been here?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
probably like 15+ years because flying terran buildings into an enemy base and building units has been a thing since very early on

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

yeah I went and checked and it's been there since June 8 2009, which I think was around when liquipedia was created

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
You still see that strat tried, both in bw and sc2 a couple of times a year. In sc2 there was also a weird evolution of that strategy where you'd build a nexus in the opponents main, start building probes and harassing and building gateways in, i think both your main and the opponents, and then once you have enough energy for a recall you recall in all your probes and zealots and try to kill them.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Group C is out. Come prepared for what might be a lot of Zerg on Zerg action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDa1a6OdPAs

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I felt like I was watching SC2 with all the ZvZ :lol:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but besides better graphics, what are any other QoL improvements that Remastered brings?

Also, are all the old campaign maps like Precursor and Resurrection 64 that you can download still workable on Remastered?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 13, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you can rebind hotkeys in a limited fashion

valkyrie missiles don't disappear because of sprite limits

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but besides better graphics, what are any other QoL improvements that Remastered brings?

Also, are all the old campaign maps like Precursor and Resurrection 64 that you can download still workable on Remastered?

All of the old campaign maps and customs work fine. There are also some new still-image cutscenes during the text narrative parts in the single player campaigns, but they're minimal and the actual cutscenes still use the outdated Maya Software renders from 1998.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It has a built in multiplayer ladder system.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Good to know, can you zoom in and out of the battlefield as well? I recently restarted Starcraft after a few years, and the super-closeness to the units was something I forgot.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Good to know, can you zoom in and out of the battlefield as well? I recently restarted Starcraft after a few years, and the super-closeness to the units was something I forgot.

In multiplayer and singleplayer you can zoom in and only zoom out to normal view. In replays, you can zoom way out.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Today I learnt that the word "pylon" comes from the Greek word "pyle", which means gateway. So the basic Protoss buildings are gateways and, er, gateways...

Proper content, group D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqBx6Bn0ecw

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
A gateway to the gateway, if you will

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I really enjoyed watching Bisu play through his matches. Seeing him play out games where it looks like he got hard countered by the Zerg player, only to flip things around was kind of nuts.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Match 2 Ro8(Match 1 was delayed because SK tested positive for Covid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Lc01IudLw

I thought Rush was favored going into this but Soma's understanding of when to attack Rush was incredible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elyv posted:

Match 2 Ro8(Match 1 was delayed because SK tested positive for Covid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Lc01IudLw

I thought Rush was favored going into this but Soma's understanding of when to attack Rush was incredible.

i thought soma would be slightly favored if he was on top of his game

i certainly did not expect that :stare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ism39fVM4Pw

lmfao @ game 2, the hell did i just watch

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
pretty fun match

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao @ game 2, the hell did i just watch
I thought the choice to pull back completely was a bit odd, but it worked out really well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 27, 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

that was a very good series, give me great players having clown games over macro games any day. we even got a macro game too!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think ASLs are actually getting better over the last year or two

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think ASLs are actually getting better over the last year or two

I know its because they would get stomped but let some NA and European players in!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know its because they would get stomped but let some NA and European players in!

That would be like letting Diamond ranked players into the GSL.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I learned over the weekend with Artosis' KoTH series with ex-LoL players and high ranked women streamers that there is a Women's ASL. How long has that been happening and where are the casts for those tournaments?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Perhaps it's this?

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/Ladies_AfreecaTV_StarCraft_League
The wiki records it as going back to 2018, but it probably goes back further than that.

Does seem a shame that nobody's casting it in English, but here's a playlist with the latest season, if you want to just see the games. I will say, the auto-transcribed & auto-translated subtitles are as comprehensible as you'd expect - just wall-to-wall nonsense.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlfUuY59egs7f7EW7a1bS4SGY4ETAEJ7k

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

technically nothing stops them from participating in the offline qualifiers(if they want to fly in)

but also it's hard to explain how much better Korea is at SCBW than everyone else anyway, the best foreign players would be easy Ro24 outs and probably wouldn't be able to pass the offline qualifiers

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Day 3 of the round of 8 is out, maybe the best so far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76zZ5sFpmrI

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Heavy_D posted:

Day 3 of the round of 8 is out, maybe the best so far?[/url]
Bisu's season has been some "flash plays random" tier of somehow he won the series despite losing most of the games.

Except that last game. And the one pvz he won in an unbelievable display of game knowledge & skill. And how some early prodding gave jyj a quick L in one of the earlier games.

Glad to see he played well vs cheeses today & outright crushed jyj in early mechanical play after what happened on at least one of the other days.

If lategame pvt goes remotely like the jyj games light could potentially sweep him. I like Bisu and hope we get a good series.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 31, 2022

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Last set of the round of 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pxsv6YOhOk

Really nice series!

Game 2: man, the momentum flipped around so quickly just with that one weird attack.
Last game: the micro on the two zealots taking out all of the zerglings that got past the entrance was great.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
I watched all the matches played so far. After what I felt was a slightly weaker than usual start of the season there were some very decent games towards the end. Semi-finals and 3rd place were an absolute joy. Very excited for the finals.
I have to say though that tastosis are really disappointing by being so late with their casts. I almost kinda start liking scan/nyoken better anyway. Less entertaining maybe, but they seem to have more expertise.
It's somewhat weird that after all drama and Tastosis constant "thank you so much for keeping English broodwar casting alive" In regard to their patreon there _is_ a live English cast on Afreeca anyway, just not by them. What's up with that? It seems part of the story is missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

anchorpunch posted:

I watched all the matches played so far. After what I felt was a slightly weaker than usual start of the season there were some very decent games towards the end. Semi-finals and 3rd place were an absolute joy. Very excited for the finals.
I have to say though that tastosis are really disappointing by being so late with their casts. I almost kinda start liking scan/nyoken better anyway. Less entertaining maybe, but they seem to have more expertise.
It's somewhat weird that after all drama and Tastosis constant "thank you so much for keeping English broodwar casting alive" In regard to their patreon there _is_ a live English cast on Afreeca anyway, just not by them. What's up with that? It seems part of the story is missing.

ASL didn't want to pay Tastosis for a live English stream. Scan and Nyoken are either doing it for free, or super cheap.

This is a problem many Starcraft casters have talked about in the past. How do you get companies to pay you a decent wage for casting, when low ranked pro players and streamers always accept less money.

e: I remember the season before Tastosis went to Patreon, they announced that they were taking a major pay cut on ASL, but felt so passionately about Brood War, they were still going to cast it. Can't blame them for wanting to get paid. They are grown adults and this is their job, they draw tens of thousands of viewers. Scan and Nyoken are kind of being scabs for still running a live show.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 7, 2022