Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Went and saw the batman. An entertaining movie. It was good not great or bad.

how dare you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Joementum posted:

speaking of which has anyone tried ordering a second set though the form recently?

they apparently have only handed out 50% of their stockpile so I’m curious if they’ll let cave crew have more now.

Didn't Biden say during the SOTU address that people can place a second order now?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Didn't Biden say during the SOTU address that people can place a second order now?

cool. I just checked the website and it says we can order more “starting this week”. I tried ordering some and it told me to check back “this week”, so I guess I’ll try again tomorrow.

at least we know there’s no rush since covid is over

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the only "bat" man you should concern your with is Dr. Anthony Fauci, who genetically engineered a bat virus in 2019 and caused a global pandemic

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Caveat for Bad weekend reporting - but..

Last week - I pointed out Georgia had spiked from ~300 a day to 600 a day. It has settled to around 500 a day. New York has seen 4000 Covid Admissions in the past 5 days, compared to 2000 in the five before that

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Two mask related questions:

1) Has anyone seen any rolls of foam tape like what's inside auras on the nose strap? Auras really don't fit my face well especially around the chin, but the nose is great. I have some cheapo vented N95's from the HW store back in Jan 2020 that are fine but don't seal amazingly around the nose. I have some other really good N95's that work pretty well and are molded, but maybe 1/3 of the time the mold varies a bit and isn't quite the perfect shape, and adding a little conformal foam would seal the top perfectly. Is this stuff just weather stripping basically?

2) Is everybody wiping off their elastomerics with alcohol, or taking them apart and washing them every time? Or just doing nothing? Especially since you can't always let them sit for days and days like with cycling masks. I've been completely disassembling and washing but that seems like it'll wear out parts quick. And wiping the outside of the cartridges with alcohol wipes sometimes.

re: 1 cannot say anything about it's feasibility for kludging together a mask but it's not dissimilar to rubber foam of the sort you'd use for weatherstripping or sealing up the gaps around an aircon.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

Pillowpants posted:

Caveat for Bad weekend reporting - but..

Last week - I pointed out Georgia had spiked from ~300 a day to 600 a day. It has settled to around 500 a day. New York has seen 4000 Covid Admissions in the past 5 days, compared to 2000 in the five before that

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Tim Kaine in the (grotesquely inflamed mucus) membrane https://twitter.com/ec_schneider/status/1499130497162743828

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Tim Kaine in the (grotesquely inflamed mucus) membrane https://twitter.com/ec_schneider/status/1499130497162743828

What part of MILD don't you get, loser? :thunk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol did the hoots manage to give another movie theater full of people covid?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do you think if the situation ever gets so bad that it seems plausible that it'll meet the new criteria for the cdc chart to say its bad we, they change the scale again so that it never colors the map red again

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

lol did the hoots manage to give another movie theater full of people covid?

Mr. Hootington is Pestilence, OP.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if Tim kaine didn't want to get it he should have gotten vaccinated

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Shear Modulus posted:

do you think if the situation ever gets so bad that it seems plausible that it'll meet the new criteria for the cdc chart to say its bad we, they change the scale again so that it never colors the map red again

as you can see we have adjusted the colors for low, med, and high risk.
low is now green, med is now a slightly darker green, and high is an even more slightly darker green

-the cdc, probably

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't fully get the new scale but I iirc it's catastrophically bad if we hit red on this new goalpost because it means we have exceeded hospital capacity at that point, sometimes by hundreds of percents under the CDCs new metrics

so yeah maybe, but they'd have less latitude the nrxt time as they would be running up into some grim numbers pretty quick

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pingui posted:

I don't like that we are getting a lot of reports like this from across the world:

Antivax sentiment is so high after COVID started, that we are losing ground on polio and measles.

The overwhelming majority of polio cases are mild, it's fine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Man that’s loving brutal, didn’t the WHO have polio almost eradicated outside of Afghanistan and Pakistan and a big reason it was still present there was because of some stupid failed CIA op to try and catch Bin Laden? And now we have cases popping up in Ukraine and Israel among others.

The CIA found out about where Bin Laden was from a walk-in informant, but they didn't want that to be the story, so they concocted this plan to go door-to-door pretending to be WHO doctors doing a polio vaccination, and then they claimed that by using the DNA pulled from people that they sampled in the house, they were able to identify that Bin Laden's relatives were living there, and so Bin Laden must also be there.

To emphasize, they already knew where Bin Laden was, they just created this other story to make it sound like this is how they found out, in order to protect the source. It's sort of like when the US codebreakers in WW2 knew that Japanese ships were going to be in a particular place at a particular time: the Navy would plant a search plane in the same area, so it would look to the Japanese like they were just plain old spotted by a lucky search pattern, and not that the US had foreknowledge of the transit.

The problem was, as you point out, by making this fake polio vaccination drive the public face of CIA intelligence operations, people in the region just started attacking doctors because now they think all of those people are Western spies.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

if Tim kaine didn't want to get it he should have gotten vaccinated

He should have gotten vaccinated prior to having a vaccine available to him (since it was May 2020) just like kids under 5 who don't have any vaccine available currently should bootstraps themselves! *taps head*

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
war is peace

freedom is slavery

covid is health

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Horseshoe theory posted:

He should have gotten vaccinated prior to having a vaccine available to him (since it was May 2020) just like kids under 5 who don't have any vaccine available currently should bootstraps themselves! *taps head*

Also, vaccination doesn't prevent long covid, which i think was also part of the joke :rubby:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
realized that an interesting/important deadline is coming up.

https://aspr.hhs.gov/legal/PHE/Pages/COVID19-14Jan2022.aspx

On jan 14, 2022, the feds declared ... that a public health emergency exists and has existed since January 27, 2020, nationwide.

Looks like it expires mid april. This is actually really frustrating because states that do presumptive eligibility for CHIP under PPACA plans are leaving everyone in that situation in limbo while this is hanging around out there.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

The CIA found out about where Bin Laden was from a walk-in informant, but they didn't want that to be the story, so they concocted this plan to go door-to-door pretending to be WHO doctors doing a polio vaccination, and then they claimed that by using the DNA pulled from people that they sampled in the house, they were able to identify that Bin Laden's relatives were living there, and so Bin Laden must also be there.

To emphasize, they already knew where Bin Laden was, they just created this other story to make it sound like this is how they found out, in order to protect the source. It's sort of like when the US codebreakers in WW2 knew that Japanese ships were going to be in a particular place at a particular time: the Navy would plant a search plane in the same area, so it would look to the Japanese like they were just plain old spotted by a lucky search pattern, and not that the US had foreknowledge of the transit.

The problem was, as you point out, by making this fake polio vaccination drive the public face of CIA intelligence operations, people in the region just started attacking doctors because now they think all of those people are Western spies.
The Central Intelligence Agency is pretty bad at being intelligent.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I thought y'all were overstating the D&D defense of the CDC. "Surely there's some basis for the defense, per D&D rules."

Nope.

Lmao. Full, unmoderated whole cloth.

Not one motherfucker is able to cite a single goddamn thing. Trust the science indeed.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

The Central Intelligence Agency is pretty bad at being intelligent.

Most things don't match their names. Few sciences have "Science" in their name for example.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Potato Salad posted:

I thought y'all were overstating the D&D defense of the CDC. "Surely there's some basis for the defense, per D&D rules."

Nope.

Not one motherfucker is able to cite a single goddamn thing. Trust the science indeed.

33% of D&D posters have a medical degree on their fridge tho which is a lot more fridge doctors than CSPAM has

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Nope.

D&D is based on Roberts Rules of Order and :decorum:, NOT on actually knowing poo poo, OP. They won their High School debate tournaments by machine gunning bullshit faster than the judges could internally confirm them. *taps head*

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I wear my elastomeric w/ p100s when I exercise and everyone looks at me but jokes on them I'm not catching covid lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so why are daily cases plummeting so sharply did everyone die

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Stairmaster posted:

I know quite a few people who've tested positive on RATs and are staying home and have been sick sick but arent going to get PCRs because whats the point?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Literally everyone I know with children in school caught COVID in January. This wave finished early and went home.

silicone thrills posted:

I know quite a few people who've tested positive on RATs and are staying home and have been sick sick but arent going to get PCRs because whats the point?

This too is a factor.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Literally everyone I know with children in school caught COVID in January. This wave finished early and went home.

it’s this 2/3 to 3/4 of the population probably got Omicron.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Had a covid dream lol where'sssssss my mask aaaaaahhhbbbb

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Ran into an old acquaintance who told a funny story about going to a birthday party for kids. She was thinking it was a bad idea the whole time, but expected cupcakes and instead a cake was brought out. And the birthday kid did an intentional fake sneeze onto it

So she had to drag her crying kids out while they demanded cake and got told no they had to go buy some at a store
hahahah loving hell

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Had a covid dream lol where'sssssss my mask aaaaaahhhbbbb
through all this bullshit i've only had 1 covid dream, and it wasn't even much of anything, i'm mad at my brain
talking with someone at some place, and they're not wearing masks, i freak out and blink, and boom everyone has masks on
it was a very They Live! type moment and immediately after i blinked in the dream and the masks were on i woke up in a cold sweat
lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Imma go meet a goon to pick up some plant cuttings from them and I know that they are good smart anti covid people who mask but im still a bit wary after that weird rear end goon covid dream I had lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s this 2/3 to 3/4 of the population probably got Omicron.

ah, so another month or two until everyone starts getting reinfected

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A thousand children of communicable disease: FDA sleeps

Two young adults die because they’re dumbasses with powdered caffeine: FDA swoops

quote:

The Food and Drug Administration recently sent warning letters to five distributors of powdered caffeine, saying the products, which are marketed as dietary supplements, present a serious health risk if taken in too high a dose.

The move signals an ongoing effort by federal regulators to rein in sales of the stimulant in its pure form, after overdoses of powdered caffeine resulted in the death of two otherwise healthy young men in Ohio and Georgia last year.

[…]

“These products are dangerous and present a significant or unreasonable risk of illness or injury to consumers,” the FDA said in a statement Tuesday. “The difference between a safe amount and a toxic dose of caffeine in these pure powdered products is very small.”
The agency warned the five companies — PureBulk, SPN, Kreativ Health, Hard Eight Nutrition and Bridge City Bulk — that they have 15 days to respond or risk legal action and seizure of their products.

https://archive.ph/YeKJG

To be clear, this was in 2015.

e: lol @ these two‐faces

quote:

The advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest said the FDA's warning letters "show progress on the issue, but the agency’s action today falls short of a comprehensive ban and recall of the product. ... Pure caffeine never should have been sold to consumers. A teaspoon is a fatal dose for a child, and two teaspoons would kill most adults. FDA has clear authority to ban such a hazardous product and should do so."

Front page of their website right now:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 7, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I always thought The Omega Man sucked. The Last Man on Earth was the best adaptation of I Am Legend IMHO

etalian posted:

It's closest to the book as well for the twist ending being kept intact and Vincent Price was really great as always in the lead role.

Iron Crowned posted:

Vincent Price rules in everything.

I just had a thought, that the cave crew should probably read the book, I mean it's perfect for right now.
thanks for all this
somehow i never watched The Last Man on Earth and am watching it now via Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Man_on_Earth_(1964_film)
and god drat is this movie amazing

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Platystemon posted:

A thousand children of communicable disease: FDA sleeps

Two young adults die because they’re dumbasses with powdered caffeine: FDA swoops

https://archive.ph/YeKJG

To be clear, this was in 2015.

Four Loko got banned after no deaths were specifically assigned to it looking at the wiki page. Just like, general "kids in college getting alcohol poisoning is prolly because of this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

this post is dead to me, see you on the page snype

Tzen fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 7, 2022