Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spent all day exploring, finding cool things, getting to a nice even level 60, progressing any quest I remembered and decided to cap it off with seeing what Rahdan's whole deal is.

After 10 tries where I just immediately ate poo poo to his arrows I finally realized that the stuff littered about will stop one(1) stupid purple arrow. Not that it helped all that much

I think this mainly means that I'm tired, clearly not learning from anything, and he'll still be there tomorrow. But also maybe a couple levels will help. But also, also, as much as I like my claymore +13 with blood arc, maybe there's a different greatsword or ability I'd like even more, I should look into that

e: I need to actually use blood arc more, I did better with that today at least

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

nessin posted:

Is it actually useful for more than light through the rest of the game? Because if all you need it for is light just use the lantern and skip the torch.

The torch is way brighter and was more useful to me most of the time. Hell, I even had both of them equipped at certain points. I can't see poo poo!

There's also a torch that keeps away beasts apparently. I never bothered using it though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I find that the lantern is fine but it's fun to explore pitch black with a torch.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also there are enemies that you really, really want to hit with fire.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Is there a goon group password? I've got a few set up with friends

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Is it just me or is bloody slash insane?

It is really really good. There are better though, hoarfrost stomp being the current this is way too OP favorite

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I found a giant loving hammer. The 2-hand R2 is amazing. You do a somersault over it and then flip it over your head.

Gonna be rocking this bad boy as soon as I can get the 40 strength I need just to 2-hand it :shepface:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh god there's a spin-dash ash, I need to do a sanic run.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This may have already been posted itt but lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horizon Forbidden Blake.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there any way to shake up a Str/Dex build before I can manage to respec it to something different? I'm too far along to restart and am really being driven insane by continuing to play bleed/shield, even if it is relatively easy (although not as easy, I built up the morning star instead of katana with bloody slash). Just not sure what else I can do at this point that isn't a waste of resources since I'm almost at the academy to get through it and unlock respecing. Actually that's not true, not sure even what I could do to make a build that isn't based on bleed with a quality setup.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Has anyone figured out what these little pylons are for? No location spoilers below, but just in case:

These are just two I bothered to screenshot, they're all over the dang place, usually with a "but hole" message nearby. My theory is director's commentary points, unless they have another secret use?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I finally beat Malenia through a combination of my Mimic Tear, Hoarfrost Stomp, and my Mimic deciding that Hoarfrost Stomp is, in fact, the only attack he has.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

Is there any way to shake up a Str/Dex build before I can manage to respec it to something different? I'm too far along to restart and am really being driven insane by continuing to play bleed/shield, even if it is relatively easy (although not as easy, I built up the morning star instead of katana with bloody slash). Just not sure what else I can do at this point that isn't a waste of resources since I'm almost at the academy to get through it and unlock respecing. Actually that's not true, not sure even what I could do to make a build that isn't based on bleed with a quality setup.

A two-hand hammer is so very satisfying. I am using that with that one art that buffs holy on top of holy damage and even though I'm not specced faith it craps out damage. I also dual wielded bloodhound fang and a bloody slash Dismounter which had a nuts-o jumping R2, though they weigh so much I had to do it pants-less. Worth it!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mr. Merdle posted:

Is there a goon group password? I've got a few set up with friends

LLJK/lljk, both are in use

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Elden Ring is like they took the best qualities of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3's respective DLCs and created a perfect ~120 hour open world game of it. My only complaint is that your dude stands up from crouching to toggle the lantern. That's unnecessary and it's gonna get you in trouble someday, little dude.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I really do think there's something to the theory that the (very late-game optional zone) Haligtree area was originally meant to be DLC but they decided to just throw it into the game anyways. It just *feels* like your typical From DLC, being rather pretty, complex and brutal with a different feel from the rest of the game. I seriously cannot believe the sheer balls of From Soft, in this age where every developer is petrified people will miss a single thing in their games, hiding such a massive amount of work behind both a relatively long and hidden quest and an annoying as hell puzzle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chard posted:

Has anyone figured out what these little pylons are for? No location spoilers below, but just in case:

These are just two I bothered to screenshot, they're all over the dang place, usually with a "but hole" message nearby. My theory is director's commentary points, unless they have another secret use?

I've always assumed those are the little monuments you use to summon ash spirits.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Beat Radahn , did some Ranni stuff which is to find something(?) in some underground city. Well one thing led to another exploring down there and I ended up in the capital from below and I’m pretty sure I didn’t find the thing I was down there for in the first place. Man all the story stuff is hard to follow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man I'm trying to ignore anything that says haligtree but I'm loving pumped for when I get out of this snowy shithole I'm at the town and met Loretta in the church so I think I'm close.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Turns out you’re supposed to make a game, not an checklist GUI that makes full use of a 3080.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Feeling like Liurna of the lakes is just so empty after Stormveil. Maybe just readjusting to the open world after the legacy dungeon? But drat I just rode the horse around for like 2-3 hours and felt like I found very little of consequence.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

nessin posted:

Most things work. Faith has buffs if you want to keep whacking, and fast weapons + the 2/3 multi-attack bonuses or optimizing for stagger all shred bosses. Rot if you want another strong status effect.

3/4 smithing stones require you to get to the capital, but other than that you have 2-3 respecs by Rennala and 10+ a short while after Radahn. I respec like once a day for gimmick invasions.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in dark souls you had to actively go out of your way to not end up with tens of thousands of souls when you were just dicking around, even when taking in consideration that you’d die and lose a few bloodstains. in this game I can easily play for five hours and not have much more than 5000 runes at any one time. will the amount of runes you get pick up after linuria and that place south of lingrave?

and what’s a good early rune farming spot? something comparable to the blighttown swamp or the bonfire run in Anor Londo right after the lift and buttresses

ulvir fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 7, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I know everyone posts the quest log thing as a funny joke and I do like jokes but I also found it very hard to remember how many eagles I had collected and it made me pretty angry tbh

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Beat the boss of the capital and... that's it? Really? I'm not trying to brag but I burned it down with my Mimic ashes before he could really uh, do anything. I've been underwhelmed by all the rune bearers but Godrick and Radhan so far.

Also I got my hands on the Dark Moon greatsword and it feels kinda clunky to use but I'm still tempted to pump it up. It's always been there for me, my guiding moonlight. Seems wrong to turn my back on it now, even if Moonveil is better.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You know, I wonder what happens if you avoid fighting Rennala until after you finish the entire Ranni storyline up until the point you need to nab the ring from her room. At that point Ranni shouldn't be able to able to interfere anymore, right?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Some UI things that I feel can improve things for me a lot:

- Do you want to use Stonesword Key (remaining keys: xx)?
- 32151 to next level up - access Golden Runes inventory?
- Quit to Desktop / OR don't nag me if I didn't quit to menu and then desktop

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can anyone suggest good STR heavy weapons? Im currently up to Altus plateau and Caelid.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean UX in FromSoft games can be quite rough... their menus are not intuitive and there's dumb stuff like the button that opens the map not also closing it. They've gotten better over the years, but even attentive gamers miss useful mechanics because they're not introduced in the most digestible fashion. If that was my line of work, I'd be extra sensitive to seeing it done poorly too.

But yes, salty Guerilla dev, the gameplay is more important and when the rest of the game design is *this* good UX faults don't matter.

(And while UI and UX are different, they are related and I much prefer From's take on HUDs. Even with HFW's smart hud toggled on, there's still so much poo poo.)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Can anyone suggest good STR heavy weapons? Im currently up to Altus plateau and Caelid.

You can get the Troll Club and Great Club in Atlus behind a stonekey door north of the Endertree Gazing Hill and NE of the Wyndham Ruins.

Though by the time you make it to Atlus you should be spoiled for heavy weapon choices.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

MasterBuilder posted:

If there are new players reading this, if you see a merchant selling a torch buy it. It's going to be useful throughout the entire game.

When I kill people as an invader my victory pose is standing over them with torch held high.

And yes, bloody slash is insane.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I mean UX in FromSoft games can be quite rough... their menus are not intuitive and there's dumb stuff like the button that opens the map not also closing it. They've gotten better over the years, but even attentive gamers miss useful mechanics because they're not introduced in the most digestible fashion. If that was my line of work, I'd be extra sensitive to seeing it done poorly too.

But yes, salty Guerilla dev, the gameplay is more important and when the rest of the game design is *this* good UX faults don't matter.

(And while UI and UX are different, they are related and I much prefer From's take on HUDs. Even with HFW's smart hud toggled on, there's still so much poo poo.)

The UI in FromSoft games are far from perfect, but they have a distinct style, and many of the odd UX decisions that no other game does are, to a point, a part of the reason people like these games. This is ultimately coming down to salty devs not understanding that there's more than one way to make a good game. Elden Ring is one of the best-looking video games of all time, but it's not a surprise to see narrow-minded developers get mad because it doesn't conform to the standards of graphical fidelity that have been instilled into western game development culture. I'm also morbidly curious what that one dude has against the quest design.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I refuse to believe this double boss in Redmane castle is beatable. It's insane. I'm at 8+ weapon upgrade but it might as well be nothing because I'm dealing 2 hyper aggressive bosses.

Should I just explore Altus instead?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
oof Took the dark moon greatsword to +8, this thing is not great.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
My biggest gripe about Elden Rings UX (and generally most FromSoft games) is that there is information that is left vague in the UI but not in a way that actually advances the experience. I have a status page, and I have little icons showing my buffs. Why wouldn't the status page have a rundown of what those buffs are doing or at the very least what they mean?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chard posted:

You can use your ash summons in the vicinity of one. A little icon that looks like a grave will pop up on the left side of the screen when one is nearby

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why does it feel like literally every website has the spirit summons ranked differently? Ancestral Follower is all over the place, though it seems most places haven't realised that his power is that he heals on kill making him ideal for camps as he won't be worn down via attrition. Some of the elite summons have been godlike on one ranking and the next thing says its F-tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

I refuse to believe this double boss in Redmane castle is beatable. It's insane. I'm at 8+ weapon upgrade but it might as well be nothing because I'm dealing 2 hyper aggressive bosses.

Should I just explore Altus instead?

I don't know what any of these bosses or locations are and my weapon is +14 so probably. I don't even know what Atlus is lol.