Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
wine flavored wood tips to go with my fedora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

its_my_birthday posted:

wine flavored wood tips to go with my fedora

goonsir

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

TIP posted:

the hammond strategy

I did not get this reference

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Revins posted:

I did not get this reference

in jurassic park while the power was out and everything was going to poo poo hammond was eating the gently caress out of some ice cream

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

just loving it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
ohhh yeah I forgot all about that scene

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Revins posted:

ohhh yeah I forgot all about that scene

Wow. Thanks.

I wrote and directed that scene.

rear end.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

Wow. Thanks.

I wrote and directed that scene.

rear end.

Something you created was easily forgotten? I'm stunned.
Now, about that taint-work I was promised...

*presents IRON TAINT DEFENSE*

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dragged my old rear end tv and desk chair out to the end of my walkway to get picked up by the waste company tomorrow. My garbage and recycle bins are usually picked up on the side street of my house not the front since I live on a corner, but the guy I called to schedule the pick up said to put bins and everything out front.

Taking bets on what, if anything, gets picked up by Republic Services tomorrow.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

imo odds favor "Nothing"

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
starting next year my daughter's gonna go to one of these 5th-8th grade middle schools that pretend like they're a high school and im kinda nervous for my little bug tbh

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
the difference between a 5th grader and a 7th grader just seems like a lot to me like at least in the traditional 7/8th middle school errbody is pretty much going through the rough parts of puberty together lol

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
but the ex wife is a middle school teacher and she says this leads in to the best public high school in the area. so if the kiddo says she wants to do it, and she has, im just gonna be quiet about my concerns and supportive

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Big Beef City posted:

Something you created was easily forgotten? I'm stunned.
Now, about that taint-work I was promised...

*presents IRON TAINT DEFENSE*

THE IRON TAINT!!??

Could this be the taint that Master spoke of when he sent me from the dojo on this quest??

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Oh, there is Iron Taint animation too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxL85XCOkSI

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I got creosote in my wang flaps.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Valko posted:

I made something called a Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Bake. Some recipe I found in a ring-binder full of recipes from teachers and school chefs.

Whole chicken cut in parts, fried on the outside first. Fry onions and peppers, add garlic. Throw in two handfuls of black olives and some shredded sun-dried tomatoes in oil. Throw the raw rice in and cook until translucent and covered in oil. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and a glass of white wine - also enough stock so the rice can absorb it. Submerge the chicken pieces and bake in the oven until done. Garnish with fresh basil.

Mozerella optional; take the pot out 10 mins before the cooking is done and add the slices on top.

I would have taken pictures but it was Sunday family dinner and mom is extra cranky today. Constantly snapping and arguing about what ingredients to use.

That sounds like a relative of a pilaf/plov. The entire "fry meat and onion, then fry rice in the same pot and add stock" process is familiar, but the Mediterranean ingredients (and optional cheese) are new to me.

It sounds like it could work - how did it taste?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Computer viking posted:

That sounds like a relative of a pilaf/plov. The entire "fry meat and onion, then fry rice in the same pot and add stock" process is familiar, but the Mediterranean ingredients (and optional cheese) are new to me.

It sounds like it could work - how did it taste?

I've made it several of times and it's more like jambalaya than pilaf/plov.

It's usually good but this time it was kind of bland. I didn't have wine or fresh basil. I'd recommend against using mozarella - I've noticed that mozarella cooked in hot rice is like chewing gum stuck in hair and it doesn't really add much flavour. I've made it with chorizo (jambalaya influence) which works much better.

I can take a photo of the recipe if you'd like.

E: No response but it's only been 5 minutes. Here it is;

I have made some much needed changes to that recipe. Use both a green and red pepper for some much needed colour. 500ml of wine is far too much, use 250ml and make up the rest with chicken stock. Forget mozarella entirely. Fry a handful of diced chorizo along with the chicken instead. A carrot cut in very thin strips can go in along with the onions and peppers. Paprika and thyme add some good depth of flavour.

Valko fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 7, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm waiting and praying over a loaf of bread in the oven

please come out good :pray:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it looks ok, but I still gotta wait for it cool before cutting

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Tip, that looks amazing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Valko posted:

Tip, that looks amazing.

:tipshat:

I just followed the recipe printed on the back of my king arthur bread flour :v:

I did add one step that I read about elsewhere, I put a pan on the bottom rack of the oven and after I put the bread in I poured boiling water on the bottom pan and closed the oven

supposed to create a crisp crust, and it does seem pretty drat crisp

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

oh man, this bread is really good

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Valko posted:

I've made it several of times and it's more like jambalaya than pilaf/plov.

It's usually good but this time it was kind of bland. I didn't have wine or fresh basil. I'd recommend against using mozarella - I've noticed that mozarella cooked in hot rice is like chewing gum stuck in hair and it doesn't really add much flavour. I've made it with chorizo (jambalaya influence) which works much better.

I can take a photo of the recipe if you'd like.

E: No response but it's only been 5 minutes. Here it is;

I have made some much needed changes to that recipe. Use both a green and red pepper for some much needed colour. 500ml of wine is far too much, use 250ml and make up the rest with chicken stock. Forget mozarella entirely. Fry a handful of diced chorizo along with the chicken instead. A carrot cut in very thin strips can go in along with the onions and peppers. Paprika and thyme add some good depth of flavour.

Right - I've never made Jambalaya, but I see what you mean. Your changes sound entirely reasonable, so I'll keep this in mind on the list of possible things to make in the future. :)

Also, I see wikipedia speculates that Jambalaya has origins in either or both Pilaf as interpreted in medieval France and west African Jollof rice - so there is perhaps a greater Jambalaya-Pilaf family tree?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cannot believe that they Benjamin buttoned Dorothy Parker.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to make one of these now I know how. :)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I tried making one but instead of onion I put an AM/FM portable radio on it. 2 stars. Wouldn't make again.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Cannot believe that they Benjamin buttoned Dorothy Parker.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Okay guys, what suggestions do you have for Morning Beverages that don't have caffeine? Tell me what you guzzle in the morning (even you BBC)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Carnation instant breakfast and water. I hate coffee.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Coffee is a surefire starter for my acid reflux, so it's a once in a while thing. I drink chai now for my caffeinated breakfast drink but I also want something else. OJ feels weird, what else can one drink in the AM!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

bagmonkey posted:

Okay guys, what suggestions do you have for Morning Beverages that don't have caffeine? Tell me what you guzzle in the morning (even you BBC)

At most international stores you can find chicory, which tastes somewhere between hot cocoa and coffee. There are even “instant” versions.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Though the best way to start your day is with a glass of scotch and a protein shake. Separately of course.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

horlicks

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I don't actually drink that, its just a great name.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

Decaffeinated plunger coffee, though a a caffeine fan I personally only ever drink it just before bed.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

bagmonkey posted:

A nice herbal tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Tiny can of tomato juice