Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This has me imagening Perrin in a psychologists office with the couch and all, in walks Aram and lies down.

On the wall is Perrins diploma which just says "TA'VEREN!!!!" in large letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is it ever stated why the Seanchan Ogier gardeners don't suffer from the longing?

It takes years to kick in. The Gardeners aren't da'covale like the human Deathwatch Guards, so presumably they're rotated to make sure they don't have the problem.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah there's no indications that they don't have the same issue. The entire span of the series isn't looking enough for it to even kick in, afaik Loial has been out wandering around for 5 years before we meet him, and he's been fine. He takes a break in a stedding at some point off screen but it can't have been all that lengthy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah there's no indications that they don't have the same issue. The entire span of the series isn't looking enough for it to even kick in, afaik Loial has been out wandering around for 5 years before we meet him, and he's been fine. He takes a break in a stedding at some point off screen but it can't have been all that lengthy.

They explained it in the books somewhere, there were more stedding in Seanchan so they didn't have the same problems during the Breaking. The Longing came about when the ones in Randland couldn't find a stedding, but the Seanchan ones didn't have that problem. They might still need to go back from time to time, but it's not near as big a deal for them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Perrin I feel is written as the most reliable narrator even though I assume Jordan didn't make him the exception.

"slow and careful" but the climax of things like whitecloaks, or whitecloaks 2 galad bungaloo, are him just trying to kill himself.

I guess we needed more external POVs seeing how depressed he is and quick to impulse whether anger or self immolation. The show for some reason thinks a fridge'd dead wife was needed to develop into an impulsive and violent dude when it's in us all, all along.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

seaborgium posted:

They explained it in the books somewhere, there were more stedding in Seanchan so they didn't have the same problems during the Breaking. The Longing came about when the ones in Randland couldn't find a stedding, but the Seanchan ones didn't have that problem. They might still need to go back from time to time, but it's not near as big a deal for them.

aha, tmyk!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I always thought that was a lovely thing. I mean they try and recruit people who do violence all the time, but if one of their own "falls off the wagon" even once, there's no way back for him. Why?

At least they seemed to realize it in the end, but he was long dead by then.

This is one of the reasons why I like the show version better. Their whole ideology and belief structure seems more resilient and fully fleshed out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I always thought that was a lovely thing. I mean they try and recruit people who do violence all the time, but if one of their own "falls off the wagon" even once, there's no way back for him. Why?

At least they seemed to realize it in the end, but he was long dead by then.

One good thing the show did (maybe the only thing other than expand Moirane's role) was the Way of the Leaf convo Perrin had, where he was told that people who did violence had joined the caravan and the way of life. So Aram would have a way back, which makes alot more sense, since religion is all about forgiveness and transformation.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is it ever stated why the Seanchan Ogier gardeners don't suffer from the longing?

The only thing they long for is the blood of the Empress’s enemies.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

The only thing they long for is the blood of the Empress’s enemies.

They desire dead-ing not stedding

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A major theme of the books is stories repeating and changing as they do. Which is why "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots" became "the garden needs blood, all the time"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

As the only exotic race in Randland that is not Shadowspawn; it always confounded me how the Ogier Gardeners could serve the Seanchan Empire.

Every other indication from Loial to the various visits to steddings and the elders and poo poo gives the impression Ogier are predisposed to "goodness".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

One good thing the show did (maybe the only thing other than expand Moirane's role) was the Way of the Leaf convo Perrin had, where he was told that people who did violence had joined the caravan and the way of life. So Aram would have a way back, which makes alot more sense, since religion is all about forgiveness and transformation.

Gonna be awkward with the aiel flashbacks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

As the only exotic race in Randland that is not Shadowspawn; it always confounded me how the Ogier Gardeners could serve the Seanchan Empire.

Every other indication from Loial to the various visits to steddings and the elders and poo poo gives the impression Ogier are predisposed to "goodness".

they're literal transdimensional aliens some of whom considered loving off back to their dimension instead of fighting the dark one, they're not predisposed towards anything imo

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I don't think it is ever explained, but there is a certain self-righteousness to the Way Of The Leaf. Outsiders can be forgiven for their violence because they don't know any better, but those brought up within the Way already have the perfect enlightened teachings and don't have an excuse.

I strongly suspect that the combat veteran who wrote the books was influenced (consciously or unconsciously) by a certain strain of peace activist from his own era.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

They're just people? The Seanchan Ogier developed a very different culture over the 3k years they were separated from the Randland ones and we only run into their members that signed up for a military conquest. Might as well ask why any humans serve the Seanchan Empire.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gnoman posted:

I strongly suspect that the combat veteran who wrote the books was influenced (consciously or unconsciously) by a certain strain of peace activist from his own era.

Yeah, the show did a better job in my opinion in presenting the Way of the Leaf than Jordan did.
The sense from the books is basically "man, hippies are great to hang out with, but man, that poo poo just doesn't work in the real world". Which is more sympathetic a representation than a lot of combat vets would give them.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the show did a better job in my opinion in presenting the Way of the Leaf than Jordan did.
The sense from the books is basically "man, hippies are great to hang out with, but man, that poo poo just doesn't work in the real world". Which is more sympathetic a representation than a lot of combat vets would give them.

When I think about Tinkers vs Trollocs, for some reason, I am always reminded of the movie Gandhi when he is asked whether someone like Hitler could be defeated with nonviolence. "Not without defeat and great pain." Or most of your friends getting eaten, in the case of Trollocs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Even then I'd argue the Way of the Leaf is presented as something to aspire towards rather than something to be derisive toward. We see a lot of scenes of the Travelling People showing incredible courage and bravery and the only modern character who explicitly turns from their path has one of the harshest falls in the series.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zore posted:

Even then I'd argue the Way of the Leaf is presented as something to aspire towards rather than something to be derisive toward. We see a lot of scenes of the Travelling People showing incredible courage and bravery and the only modern character who explicitly turns from their path has one of the harshest falls in the series.

Yeah, Perrin has a lot of moments where he thinks that the Way of the Leaf would be nice if everyone followed it, but it's simply not realistic. It's against human nature not to defend yourself and loved ones with force

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zore posted:

They're just people? The Seanchan Ogier developed a very different culture over the 3k years they were separated from the Randland ones and we only run into their members that signed up for a military conquest. Might as well ask why any humans serve the Seanchan Empire.

Loial’s interaction with the Green Man seemed to indicate they had some ancient, pre-Breaking history together.

Perhaps I’m muddling Ogier sense of honor and morality with the Nym.

Where is this business about Ogier being interdimensional travelers found? Is that a portal stone thing or from the companion book?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hexel posted:

Where is this business about Ogier being interdimensional travelers found? Is that a portal stone thing or from the companion book?

It's in the text.

The Great Stump was a discussion between the entire group as to whether they were going to teleport off Randland for an Age or two, like they had done before. It's not clear whether they're dimensional or interplanetary travellers.

Their means of travel was the Book of Translation. Loial successfully argued in favor of staying.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

It's in the final 3 books when they're discussion opening the book of traveling to leave the planet and go somewhere else.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Hexel posted:

Randland had the Trolloc Wars a thousand years after the Breaking, which unified the individual Aes Sedai into an institution that tried to keep things peaceful. Seanchan only had a few trollocs invade, so the Aes Sedai remained splintered, self-interested, and without the norm of "don't kill people with the Power." And then 2000 years later, Randland had Hawkwing, who fought a big war that lasted his lifetime but then ended when he did. Seanchan had Hawkwing's kid, who spent the next few hundred years engaged in conquest. So basically Seanchan's history is much more violent over a sustained period of time compared to Randland's. And since there were more steddings in Seanchan, the Ogier found them more quickly than Randland and so the Longing was a lot less. So the Ogier would have been more able to go out and interact with humans and their culture would have intertwined with human cultures a lot more. Because of all the violence the humans develop in a more militaristic direction, and hence so do the Ogier.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The visions in TSR chapter 26 of the The Song of Growing which was sang during a special event called Seed Singing during the Age of Legends to help plants grow fast and healthy led me to believe that Ogier are predisposed to "goodness" and the Ogier Gardeners are an aberration.

Da'shain Aiel sang the Song with Ogier together. The threads of the songs were braided together and the Nym wove them into the soil and seeds with their dance using the One Power.

It is stated in The Wheel of Time Companion book that Ogier Treesingers sing the Songs of Growing. They also sing those Treesongs when they make sung wood.

I suppose it's entirely plausible different environments like Seanchan vs. Randland would produce dramatically different peoples. The Aiel used to be drastically different in their cultural disposition but the historical trauma of the post breaking years and abandoning the Way of the Leaf bear that out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Hexel posted:

The visions in TSR chapter 26 of the The Song of Growing which was sang during a special event called Seed Singing during the Age of Legends to help plants grow fast and healthy led me to believe that Ogier are predisposed to "goodness" and the Ogier Gardeners are an aberration.

"Goodness" is not necessarily non-violence though. Loial describes killing Trollocs as cutting noxious weeds that will kill a whole crop and was extremely violent when needed. If Hawkwing or one of his descendants had convinced the Ogier that he was trying to grow a peaceful place but needed to conquer to do so I could easily see them following along.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've always assumed, admittedly without much evidence, that it was a hostage scenario. Once Hawkwing's descendants won and formed the Seanchan Empire as we know it, they went around to the various Steddings and said "hey, tithe us a percentage of your people as our Gardeners or we'll burn the whole place to the ground with you in it." So I figure the various Gardeners we see are volunteers who've chosen to fight for the Empire in order to protect the Steddings and the rest of their people. It fits what we know of Ogier psychology, since even the Randland Ogier only fight in armies to defend themselves or the Steddings.

That said, it does bring up something I wish had been made a bigger deal of in AMoL....the Ogier marching to war. After all Loial does to keep the Ogier from bailing out and to help fight instead, the Ogier army never has the payoff on the battlefield that they kind of deserve. I mean they're there and they contribute, but I wanted a "Riders of Rohan at the Fields of Pellanor" from LotR or "The Klingons arrive to save the day" from DS9's A Sacrifice of Angels moment, and we never really got it. :sigh:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The Ents sacking Isengard would be a direct parallel, since Ogier basically serve the same narrative role

Large, powerful, slow to act and anger, long-winded, but terrifying juggernauts when roused

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I’m halfway through CoT and it just occurred to me: Rand cleansed saidin what must be days or weeks ago and Grady and Neald don’t have a single comment about it. To themselves or Perrin or anybody :psyduck:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hexel posted:

I’m halfway through CoT and it just occurred to me: Rand cleansed saidin what must be days or weeks ago and Grady and Neald don’t have a single comment about it. To themselves or Perrin or anybody :psyduck:

From what I remember, they discussed it among themselves, but weren't sure if it was real or the taint was making them imagine it. They also didn't tell anyone because they would have sounded insane since they didn't know Rand did it, just that there was a huge loving amount of Saidin used on the other side of the continent and then suddenly they both stopped feeling the taint. Oh, and they were the only 2 people there who saw the giant pillar of Saidin

Makes sense why they kinda held back a little

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Given how other Ashaman who did know what happened reacted, they were probably pretty stunned as well.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I guess I spoke too soon. Rand starts the cleansing right as Perrin and Co. are spying on Malden

“Sight and hearing, the world around, crashed in on him.
“. . . it’s madness,” Grady was saying in worried tones. “Nobody can handle enough of saidin for me to feel that far off! Nobody!”

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Small scenes like that show me how COT could have worked well. It’s just…the other plots aren’t doing anything/we’re already resolved in Winters Heart

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ungratek posted:

Small scenes like that show me how COT could have worked well. It’s just…the other plots aren’t doing anything/we’re already resolved in Winters Heart

The full context is even more striking. Up until now, casually thinking of Rand or Mat would do the annoying rainbow in the mind, then this happens mid convo:

“The colors erupted inside Perrin’s head, an explosion of hues so strong that sight and hearing vanished. All sight except for the colors themselves, at least. They were a vast tide, as if all the times he had pushed them out of his head had built a dam that they now smashed aside in a silent flood, swirling in soundless whirlpools that tried to suck him under. An image coalesced in the middle of it, Rand and Nynaeve sitting on the ground facing one another, as clear as if they were right in front of him.”

The metaphysics are odd and ultimately disposable since the rainbows in the mind don’t do much except give the reader anchor points for major plotlines that happen simultaneously :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And let Nynaeve find out where Perrin is so Cadsuane can try to dad-snap Rand out of his blackness.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

The full context is even more striking. Up until now, casually thinking of Rand or Mat would do the annoying rainbow in the mind, then this happens mid convo:

“The colors erupted inside Perrin’s head, an explosion of hues so strong that sight and hearing vanished. All sight except for the colors themselves, at least. They were a vast tide, as if all the times he had pushed them out of his head had built a dam that they now smashed aside in a silent flood, swirling in soundless whirlpools that tried to suck him under. An image coalesced in the middle of it, Rand and Nynaeve sitting on the ground facing one another, as clear as if they were right in front of him.”

The metaphysics are odd and ultimately disposable since the rainbows in the mind don’t do much except give the reader anchor points for major plotlines that happen simultaneously :shrug:

And provide comic relief when Mat keeps seeing Rand and Min going at it

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/03/09/reacher-eclipses-the-wheel-of-time-amazon-most-watched-series/

Welp. Reacher isn't even good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Different math I think. That's premier numbers and reacher dropped everything at once.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Different math I think. That's premier numbers and reacher dropped everything at once.

Yeah, WoT has more of people talking about it with the release schedule. Gives it a chance to build up a lot of hype and get it more into peoples minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What’s the deal with the mystical reverence the Aiel have for blacksmiths? That’s never explained in the books is it. Perrin could’ve leveraged that for a bit more respect from his cadre of wise ones I think :laugh: