Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Borsche69 posted:

i gotta say, its insane how much better this poo poo is without commercials

Yes, Discovery Plus is amazing with Battlebots. They even upload the new episodes at 3AM before the show airs... I don't think I could watch Battlebots with commercials... But I loving hate commercials...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

That was a really good main event. I'd rather have 3 minute crazy brawls over "oops, vertical spinner just tossed something out of the arena in 10 seconds."

This season is weird because there are a lot of bots that aren't going to be in the tournament even though they're better than some that are. Lockjaw, Kraken, Gruff, Scorpios, Tombstone, Hydra all have losing records while stuff like Riptide or Glitch limped in with 2 wins. Really weird early season.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Riptide and Glitch are both good, though. Hard to not cheer for rookie bots having legitimately great success, especially in the context of the reliability issues in older seasons.

Blip is likewise awesome although that's an experienced team. The weapon is a shockingly effective design and the bot itself feels real durable.

If this kind of stuff can spur on new designs or revisions from the veterans and encourage more rookies and weird designs then it's not bad at all.

Don't get me wrong though, Lockjaw and its predecessors were always my favorites. And Gruff is a beast.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fish Of Doom posted:

That was a really good main event. I'd rather have 3 minute crazy brawls over "oops, vertical spinner just tossed something out of the arena in 10 seconds."

This season is weird because there are a lot of bots that aren't going to be in the tournament even though they're better than some that are. Lockjaw, Kraken, Gruff, Scorpios, Tombstone, Hydra all have losing records while stuff like Riptide or Glitch limped in with 2 wins. Really weird early season.

Outside of Lockjaw and maybe Kraken that still has a fight left, all those bots will most likely be in the tournament.

There is 32 slots for like ~60 bots, they have room for 1-2 bots, and they will likely go to the fan favorites! Although those teams have also had pretty tough schedules and their 1-2 records don't look that bad when at least 1 of the losses have been against the 3-0 squad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That was probably the worst possible strategy for Deep Six to do

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

You know how in baseball* you can say that a play wasn't a homerun, it was a triple with an error from an outfielder? They shouldn't record this fight as a knockout, it was a judge's decision with an error from Deep Six.

*disclaimer: my knowledge this happening in baseball is limited to that time this came up in an episode of Seinfeld.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Deep Six is normally not a fast moving bot. And it seems they had some sort of a hiccup getting going. And Minotaur was on top of them immediately...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The best part at the end was Minotaur trying to help and instead just buzzing off one of the stabilizers instead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

The best part at the end was Minotaur trying to help and instead just buzzing off one of the stabilizers instead

Yeah it had a real "Lenny trying to pet the fluffy bunnies" vibe to it. :v:

E: I guess it's a case of "If the only tool you have is a hammer eggbeater then every problem looks like a nail egg"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The bonus Retrograde vs. Defender fight is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tL8a02ibs

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I just don't get Defender. Its a new bot, from a team of experienced builders, and they must know you're pretty much never going to win unless you cause some damage points. But it doesn't have any way of damaging other bots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I just don't get Defender. Its a new bot, from a team of experienced builders, and they must know you're pretty much never going to win unless you cause some damage points. But it doesn't have any way of damaging other bots.

It's the brother from team Whiplash though... which also hasn't had a way to damage a bot (so far) this season. And really at best... the previous seasons Whiplash's spinner has been more for show instead of anything meaningful...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Worst fight of the season?

Definitely needs some work in the offseason. Right now it's just another Overhaul. They don't seem to be able to suplex consistently, and suplexes aren't that great an offensive weapon anyway.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

Having your bot ready to fight and having it work reliably is part of the game though. A perfectly-working Hydra might be a better bot than Glitch, but this season, it wasn't working perfectly. Glitch is a better bot than Hydra this season and deserves its place.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Queering Wheel posted:

Having your bot ready to fight and having it work reliably is part of the game though. A perfectly-working Hydra might be a better bot than Glitch, but this season, it wasn't working perfectly. Glitch is a better bot than Hydra this season and deserves its place.

Yeah. Tombstone is a good example too. Something is clearly wrong deep down as it is currently built, and as much as like to see it punt opponents across the arena, it's having a rough season.

Minotaur has bounced back nicely, though. :colbert:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Queering Wheel posted:

Glitch vs. Ghost Raptor was one of the worst fights so far though. Other than a decent weapon, there is nothing good about Glitch, it's slow, can barely move, gets stuck on the arena. It's 2 wins have seemed more luck than skill. Lockjaw has gone the full 3 minutes in 2 of its matches, so most of the bot isn't suffering reliability, it just had tough draws. And now Defender is 2-1 as well, is Defender really a better bot than Lockjaw? Is it better than Free Shipping, another bot that had a brutal set of fights and isn't unreliable? Skorpios is reliable and just had the best match of the season, but they're 1-2.

Apparently this week has Witch Doctor vs. Rusty, which is basically a free win for them, so congrats I guess? Is that more impressive than any of the above bots?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 6, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KennyMan666 posted:

The bonus Retrograde vs. Defender fight is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tL8a02ibs

good to see a classic CC-era fight again

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fish Of Doom posted:

Glitch vs. Ghost Raptor was one of the worst fights so far though. Other than a decent weapon, there is nothing good about Glitch, it's slow, can barely move, gets stuck on the arena. It's 2 wins have seemed more luck than skill. Lockjaw has gone the full 3 minutes in 2 of its matches, so most of the bot isn't suffering reliability, it just had tough draws. And now Defender is 2-1 as well, is Defender really a better bot than Lockjaw? Is it better than Free Shipping, another bot that had a brutal set of fights and isn't unreliable? Skorpios is reliable and just had the best match of the season, but they're 1-2.

Apparently this week has Witch Doctor vs. Rusty, which is basically a free win for them, so congrats I guess? Is that more impressive than any of the above bots?

It's quite possible the final 32 will have a spot or two open for an 0-3 bot, if so I can see Lockjaw getting a spot, just because it's Lockjaw. But given it's reliability issues this season, they are likely just looking to get ready for whatever they are doing for Bounty Hunters this year.

Skorpios will most definitely get a spot in the tournament at 1-2 with the schedule. Defender's loss was against Ribbot that went 3-0 (with a weak schedule though), so they are pretty worthy of being in the tournament. Although I do wish they would have gone with a different design considering the Vasquez's already have Whiplash as a control bot...

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

KennyMan666 posted:

A great showcase of how control bots are not only completely ineffectual but also boring in this format

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't think that Defender is a better bot than Lockjaw or Free Shipping, but I mean...at least it won fights. I think that you should have to get at least one win to make it into the round of 32. At the very least, any 0-3 bot should have to win a last chance fight/tournament or something.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

If it had been able to actually get its lifts off, consistently, they would solve those key issues. Whiplash is consistently effective as a control bot. If you had that caliber of driving and reliability it would be another story.

But that is also taking us back to the "Glitch deserves it" discussion where reliability and good driving and timing are so important. Also mechanum wheels are awesome.

Anyhow that's why they always emphasize selection committee every single show. It's not strictly the numbers that get you into the tournament.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Last main event looks to be Fusion vs IceWave, I assume either IceWave gets destroyed or Fusion randomly catches fire.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1500803540444487689#m

Also, completely random shower thought. Isn't it weird that all three women lead teams are horizontals?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Witch doctor isn't a horizontal though?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also, completely random shower thought. Isn't it weird that all three women lead teams are horizontals?
Witch Doctor is a vertical spinner and Andrea's always been considered the captain of that team.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I guess I forgot about Witch Doctor, that and I always saw them as joint captains as they're a couple.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Even though it didn't make it this season, Chomp is also not a horizontal spinner...

Also if anyone missed it from last week, this week is the last week of the qualifier matches. So you can probably figure out most of the bots that are fighting based on who is a contender with only 2 fights...

Also Huge & Mammoth are both 1-1, curious to see if they will give them a rematch or have them fight different opponents!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I guess I forgot about Witch Doctor, that and I always saw them as joint captains as they're a couple.

She's the captain. He's just such a good driver and he participates in much of their social media, so the show wants to talk to him a lot too.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even though it didn't make it this season, Chomp is also not a horizontal spinner...

Chomp has a turret, its a very slow horizontal :colbert:

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Control bots, particularly at the BB level are tough to pull off well. You're essentially signing up to throw your bot into a meat grinder in every fight because there's an abundance of nasty spinning things to fight and you're bringing something different. I do think one thing some teams bringing control bots miss is that if you're going the control route, you also need to be designed, built, and driven to dominate the aggression side of things. You're not gonna 4-1 or 5-0 damage in most fights, 3-2 is your typical damage ceiling, so you'd better take charge in aggression and control in every fight. The nice thing there is if you do that, the fight should be entertaining, and a good control bot can make a fight entertaining even if the opponent is having issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVd0sVnzlqs

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah but I do think the hazards should be stronger to give the control bots more to work with. The tech and armor have been advancing my leaps and bounds, but when was the last time the hazards did any real damage to a bot?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

Yeah but I do think the hazards should be stronger to give the control bots more to work with. The tech and armor have been advancing my leaps and bounds, but when was the last time the hazards did any real damage to a bot?

Bring back the Hell Raisers imo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

El Fideo posted:

I'm glad the hazards are bad so that indestructible shove bricks with no weapon can't actually win a fight (gently caress duck)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I'm glad the hazards are bad so that indestructible shove bricks with no weapon can't actually win a fight (gently caress duck)

bad comparison, duck is hardly indestructible

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

bad comparison, duck is hardly indestructible

The original was. I believe it was machined as 1 solid piece with redundant trains in case any went down.

The current build is a shadow of its former self.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Bring back the Hell Raisers imo

man no thanks. nightmare vs sow was cool and i dont think nightmare had a snowball's chance in hell at winning that, but it wouldve been cool for the hellraisers not to prematurely fire and knock nightmare off balance.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

i'm closer to this line of thinking. you kinda want the fights determined between the robots and not the arena. if there was a hazard that could do serious damage to another robot, then i feel like you'd want to position it such that it wouldn't do incidental or accidental damage. if it's supposed to be there for a control bot, then the control bot should have to actively use them.

imo a nice thing they could do is allow the teams to have control over the killsaws. like half are for each team. but i think they probably don't want them getting used at all simply because they don't want anything to gently caress with the saws and have to spend money to fix them. they probably have enough issues with the screws

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Having a poke at the Battlebots site and they've put the bracket up on Saturday here; https://battlebots.com/2021-bracket/. Its currently password protected so you can't actually see it until it goes live some time on Thursday. Found a blank bracket thing you can fill in here.

From looking at the site more I think its possible to find out who is through to the final 32 and what their seeds are. So yeah...

Edit: Yup, found out who the seeds are. Kind of. For some reason there's two 31 seeds and an "alt" seed. That mights explain why seeds 1 and 2 don't currently have an opponent listed for their first fight.
I'm looking at these seeds and, I'll be honest, I think they're a bit crap. There's a couple that are in that I don't think should be and a few that should be in that aren't. Par for the course I guess.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 8, 2022

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Glad they’re providing brackets again. My kid currently holds the house Moderately Large Nut for having the best bracket last season. And that is bullshit

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Having a poke at the Battlebots site and they've put the bracket up on Saturday here; https://battlebots.com/2021-bracket/. Its currently password protected so you can't actually see it until it goes live some time on Thursday. Found a blank bracket thing you can fill in here.

From looking at the site more I think its possible to find out who is through to the final 32 and what their seeds are. So yeah...

Edit: Yup, found out who the seeds are. Kind of. For some reason there's two 31 seeds and an "alt" seed. That mights explain why seeds 1 and 2 don't currently have an opponent listed for their first fight.
I'm looking at these seeds and, I'll be honest, I think they're a bit crap. There's a couple that are in that I don't think should be and a few that should be in that aren't. Par for the course I guess.

Not gonna dig around for the seeds since it will be full of spoilers. Good chance the last 2 seeds will be a playin tournament next week though. Lots of fan favorite teams with 0-3 & 1-2 records. The could fit two 8 bot play-in brackets into their normal show time if they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I like seeing weird bots, control bots, strange designs. It's much more interesting than watching a bunch of bots that are almost the same. I really don't want to see the box have a pit or something put in though. In the old Battlebots they would count the number of hits and just award wins based on the general vibe half the time, which also sucks. Those bots would be lucky if their batteries lasted the whole match though. The top tier of durable bots are just so hard to kill. Look at how many bots have lasted half a match on fire, or where they are totally beat to poo poo but they keep going. I don't know how you expect to kill them by holding onto them for a bit or bumping them into the walls.