Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh, right, they were wondering if going to New Zealand would buy them an extra couple of months of life.

it’s the little things about that book that hits the feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s the book “On the beach” but it’s New Zealand. It makes Threads look optimistic.

The main thing I remember about that book is their visit to Edmonds, WA where someone jumps ship. Very odd to see a town I visit frequently to see family mentioned. It has a nice movie theater.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Russia trying another run at "humanitarian corridors" today.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1500705250658988040?s=20

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man he's really trying to get NATO to do something....

While also getting what he wants.

And giving the appearance he is losing.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you think Putin is conducting this war well?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Putin or Macron?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

Russia trying another run at "humanitarian corridors" today.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1500705250658988040?s=20

That tweet leaves out the most important part: they're only opening up humanitarian corridors to Russia and Belarus.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Putin literally said he'd show the west genocide.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

He didn't say poo poo like this over the past 20 years of him consolidating power because it's not the kind of statement a head of state makes when they are doing well.

The idea that everything that is going on is playing into his hand seems farcical, at best.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I meant just that I think his forces are going to maximize civilian casualties, AND I don't trust Nazis.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't think anyone will ever know what Putin was actually hoping to get out of this, but I think we can all agree that this is definitely not it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Wasabi the J posted:

What, source?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

I meant just that I think his forces are going to maximize civilian casualties, AND I don't trust Nazis.

I mean yeah, that's a real possibility - one that is backstopped by the failure of Putin to exert complete command and control over his forces up onto this point. There are reports that suggest that desertion has been a somewhat regular occurrence during this conflict - a situation that I would imagine would be exacerbated if Putin was to command his military to start committing warcrimes as a matter of course.

But yeah it's a bad situation that has a lot of potential to get much worse.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

psydude posted:

That tweet leaves out the most important part: they're only opening up humanitarian corridors to Russia and Belarus.

WW3 sounds OK at this point, heh.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wibla posted:

If poo poo goes sidways I'm gonna find you and eat all your food and drink all your water

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
A Russian refugee camp is still better than being in an active warzone. It makes sense to open corridors to those areas instead of trying to coordinate convoys across the entire country and hoping a few buses full of civilians don't get blown up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wibla posted:

Finally, I will get to live out my dreams and be known as the Wolf King, and have a chariot drawn by a team of White Wolves!

:luca:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dick Ripple posted:

A Russian refugee camp is still better than being in an active warzone. It makes sense to open corridors to those areas instead of trying to coordinate convoys across the entire country and hoping a few buses full of civilians don't get blown up.

I don't think it does make sense to trust the Russians, and I bet the Ukranian government won't either.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
The Russians want people out of the cities, or at least it viewed as they left so anyone remaining is considered hostile.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dick Ripple posted:

The Russians want people out of the cities, or at least it viewed as they left so anyone remaining is considered hostile.

No they don't. Civilian casualties are a feature of their strategy, not a bug, otherwise they wouldn't be intentionally shelling evacuation points. They're struggling to beat the Ukrainians at a tactical level, so they're resorting to terror bombing to force the government to capitulate. This is the same playbook they used in Chechnya and Syria.

I wouldn't put it beyond them to try some pretty diabolical poo poo with their PoW camps, especially now that they've banned most Western media outlets.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
This is from BBC's live reporting feed, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to link to a specific post in it. Hopefully the link inside the quote works, but I've quoted the entire article just in case.

"BBC quoting the Red Cross posted:

Dominik Stillhart, director of operations for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), has been speaking with BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Asked what's gone wrong with so-called humanitarian corridors, he said they had been talking to both sides "for days", but problems remained confirming the detail of any ceasefire agreement - to allow civilians out of bombarded cities.

Stillhart said the challenge was to get the two parties to an agreement that is "concrete, actionable and precise".

He added that so far there had only been agrements "in principle", which had immediately broken down because they lacked precision, regarding routes and who can use them.

Illustrating his point, he said some ICRC staff had tried to get out of Mariupol along an agreed route on Sunday, but soon realised "the road indicated to them was actually mined".

"That is why it is so important that the two parties have a precise agreement for us then to be able to facilitate it on the ground."

I know the "humanitarian corridors" were a bunch of bullshit, but this is a new loving low.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If all the stuff about Russian communications on the ground being nearly nonexistent how do they inform troops about a ceasefire?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

If all the stuff about Russian communications on the ground being nearly nonexistent how do they inform troops about a ceasefire?

At any point during this affair have you felt that the Russian infantry have been informed of anything?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nope.

Is incompetence an affirmative defense for war crimes?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so it wasn't malice, it was just russian central command not being able to relay the message to their infantry's phones and chinese baby monitors

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

psydude posted:

I don't think anyone will ever know what Putin was actually hoping to get out of this, but I think we can all agree that this is definitely not it.

I don't know, the "Putin is playing 4D chess" narrative is still alive and well on social media. Just you wait until his real forces get involved!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Finally, I will get to live out my dreams and be known as the Wolf King, and have a chariot drawn by a team of White Wolves!

:luca:

If you haven't already gotten around to properly calibrating your Geiger counter, there's still time...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I don't know, the "Putin is playing 4D chess" narrative is still alive and well on social media. Just you wait until his real forces get involved!
Ah, just like when the real US election results are revealed. Guessing that Venn diagram is a lumpy circle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Putin: "RELEASE THE T-14 ARMATA"

"but sir-

Putin: *kills dude, turns to next guy* "Congratulations on your new promotion"

T-14 Armata: *Rolls out. sinks into Ukrainian rasputitsa*

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.reuters.com/world/kremlin-says-russian-military-action-will-stop-moment-if-ukraine-meets-2022-03-07/

Russia is offering terms that were kinda in the realm of possibility a few weeks ago so while I doubt it’ll end soon the fact they may actually want to negotiate is a pretty big change.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/kremlin-says-russian-military-action-will-stop-moment-if-ukraine-meets-2022-03-07/

Russia is offering terms that were kinda in the realm of possibility a few weeks ago so while I doubt it’ll end soon the fact they may actually want to negotiate is a pretty big change.

They're defining neutrality as unilateral disarmament, which will obviously be a non-starter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They're not offering terms. They're demanding complete surrender which was identical to what they demanded before invading.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Russia's demands from the start were to cede large chunks of Ukraine to Russia, stand down the military, submit to Russian dominion over domestic affairs, and promise to never do anything that might change said dominion. It was a non-starter then and is still now.

Complete capitulation and surrender to hostile invaders when said aggressors have a storied history of bad faith action would be a bad idea.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Obviously they’re unreasonable but that’s a huge walk back from demanding regime change.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Obviously they’re unreasonable but that’s a huge walk back from demanding regime change.

How is "Zelensky can stay as president in name but we will have a russian picked prime minister running things" not regime change?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

How is "Zelensky can stay as president in name but we will have a russian picked prime minister running things" not regime change?

Christ I’m just saying they’re already walking back demands and no longer demanding complete surrender and everyone’s first grandchild to start the negotiation. It’s an interesting development that they may actually start to acknowledge they cannot win.

Are we going to keep getting mad if we don’t explicitly say “Russia bad” at least five times every post.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Christ I’m just saying they’re already walking back demands and no longer demanding complete surrender and everyone’s first grandchild to start the negotiation. It’s an interesting development that they may actually start to acknowledge they cannot win.

Are we going to keep getting mad if we don’t explicitly say “Russia bad” at least five times every post.

They haven't changed their position at all, is what I'm saying. They're offering nothing new.

It's not about saying Russia bad - its about calling out obvious bad faith as obvious bad faith. I'm not saying you are acting in bad faith, but Russia certainly is as demonstrated by all of their actions thus far.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

"Your government is replaced by somebody we appoint" was never in the realm of possibility.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

How are they walking back demands? The demands are the same? Even better: The avenues for refugees to escape? They will ONLY let them escape to Belarus or Russia.

This is not a negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How does anyone see Russia’s terms and think any of it is reasonable?

This is akind to Mexico coming in, taking Texas, Arizona and New Mexico and saying “alright Biden can stay but we pick Pelosse and Schumer’s replacements.”