Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dack fayden spammed gg emotes and roped every game he ever lost. just thought y'all should know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

thats not even true for yugioh, they just dont make the stories at all accessible to people lol. like for years in the west every set was a dumping ground for all the duel terminal archetypes, and duel terminal was this incredibly dense lore spectacle lol. unfortunately only half of them released outside japan (and in super low distribution numbers too) so this basically only mattered for the japanese fans. i think the real difference is magic is focused on a singular cohesive experience, which makes it easier to throw out stuff like the stories etc. the downside is imo magic gets boring much much easier than yugioh et al because "its high fantasy!!!" is never gonna sustain interest for forever, and until pretty recently they very rarely did any meaningful twists on that. compare to yugioh where there is actually probably something that will appeal to you aesthetically no matter what somewhere.

I remember WTFing way back in the day when I heard all the Gagagigo cards were the same creature and there was actually a story connecting them. Still have no idea what it is other than apparently he was turned into a cyborg at some point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalel posted:

dack fayden spammed gg emotes and roped every game he ever lost. just thought y'all should know

drat, he sounds cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
bolas vs phyrexia, with the gatewatch grudgingly teaming up with bolas

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The phyrexians will compleat Bolas returning his spark...again.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did they ever explain why Bolas freed the Eldrazi, anyway?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he's a prick

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

He needed the distraction so he could build up his zombie army on whatever plane the Egypt land is on as well as enslave those gods there, as well as pick up the Immortal Sun on Ixilan

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

precision posted:

WOTC loves going back to things people loved

well then give me a sequel to Mirage block

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

kalel posted:

from an artistic value standpoint you're correct. but money is the primary driver behind wotc's decisions. Players want different things and the trick is balancing those sometimes competing concerns to extract the most value. everyone should have a reason to want to buy your product, and there's more than enough card slots to maximize the appeal. so you make a crappy Chandra mythic because the Chandra freaks will eat it up anyway, a lore-agnostic blue uncommon spell that becomes a legacy staple, a sideboard card for standard, then some executive wanted to design a card so you throw that in to placate the higher ups... you still have X-4 slots to go. might as well fill the disposable commons with references so the prerelease-only players get their dopamine shot too

My point is there's so much room to appeal to different players and there's essentially no design cost to doing so, so why wouldn't they if their goal is extraction of capital (making a fun game) and not artistic integrity?

it is absolutely wild to see a post that basically assumes as facts that story/characters/lore/setting are fundamentally detrimental to MTG's 'artistic value'

does this mean that the art depicting these story/characters/worlds is also detrimental to MTG's artistic value? is the most artistically pure form of mtg just pieces of cardboard with mechanical text and no art?

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 7, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

it is absolutely wild to see a post that basically assumes as facts that story/characters/lore/setting are fundamentally detrimental to MTG's 'artistic value'

does this mean that the art depicting these story/characters/worlds is also detrimental to MTG's artistic value? is the most artistically pure form of mtg just pieces of cardboard with mechanical text and no art?

Yes?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

no

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

kurona_bright posted:

I did not get this from their post at all. just seemed like they were saying that adding non-mechanical value via lore and art etc will boost sales. But you want the operating budget to be as tiny as possible while still gettin that sweet art money. The inherent duality of creating art and commodifying it hmm yes

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This is hilarious, but I think it misses the important detail that you get to play one land per turn.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's what "you may not play this card if it is not your turn or if you do not have any land plays remaining" means I think.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Huh, I thought mana only disappeared at the end of phases, not steps as well

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What was the last major villain WOTC invented. New Phyrexia was what, 10 years ago at this point?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

it's a funny joke but also not something i would want in my deck

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kurona_bright posted:

I play them in modern and usually I get one compliment a night.
Honestly I like them because they stand out while searching and would only like them blue if they where white bordered

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siivola posted:

Did they ever explain why Bolas freed the Eldrazi, anyway?

Accident involving a crazy man and Chandra showing off her cool new ghostfire trick.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm curious, given that the new Praetors play in the a different part of the color space than their previous versions, can they make an Elesh Norn that prevents cards from coming into play from Exile with the current rules?

It's unlikely on a praetor specifically because so far they have all had mirrored effects for the player and opponents

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MikeCrotch posted:

What was the last major villain WOTC invented. New Phyrexia was what, 10 years ago at this point?

Secret Lairs - December 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I would have also accepted "Throne of Eldraine" as a response

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I think oko was technically the villain of the set too

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's unlikely on a praetor specifically because so far they have all had mirrored effects for the player and opponents

New Jin-Gitaxis was more of oblong mirror. I was thinking this version of Elesh could double the ETBs of your creatures entering play from Exile and delete your opponents creatures in Exile.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think oko was technically the villain of the set too

He turned the king into an elk. Only wotc could be so bold to declare themselves monarchists

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

Given what I do for a living, I had 3 separate discords ping me about this, plus my friends telling me about these lands.

It fits perfectly for me.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Huh, I thought mana only disappeared at the end of phases, not steps as well

You are correct it did use to work that way! It changed with the m10 rules refresh, I wanna say.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Nastier Nate posted:

well then give me a sequel to Mirage block

They had some aspects of Mirage/Jamuraa in Dominaria, and one of the recent core sets had a bunch of descendants as legendary creatures, does that count?

What would constitute a Mirage sequel for you? When I think of Mirage as a setting the main things that stick out are Love Song of Night and Day and that it's on a faux African setting - though I don't know enough about the culture to recognise specifics, and who knows how respectful they'd have been about it in 1996.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

New bans dropped

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/march-7-2022-banned-and-restricted-announcement

quote:

Announcement Date: March 7, 2022

Pioneer:

Lurrus of the Dream-Den is banned.

Modern:

Lurrus of the Dream-Den is banned.

Pauper:

Galvanic Relay is banned
Disciple of the Vault is banned.
Expedition Map is unbanned.

Tabletop Effective Date: March 7, 2022

Magic Online effective date: March 7, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
VERY COOL AS I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING DEATH'S SHADOW FOR 2 WEEKS FOR A loving BIG TOURNEY!!!!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bye Lurrus!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

VERY COOL AS I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING DEATH'S SHADOW FOR 2 WEEKS FOR A loving BIG TOURNEY!!!!!

I hope you like street wraiths!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:sickos:

Been waiting for this one since lurrus was printed. It was pretty obvious it needed to go when like half the decks in every challenge were some flavor of lurrus deck imo

mcmagic posted:

Mega rip :smith:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

I hope you like street wraiths!

I loving love them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lol didn't they just print some pioneer challenge deck with lurrus?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Congrats to everyone who wants Pioneer to live, the fact that they bothered to ban anything at all in that format is a great sign IMO.

I am thinking about getting back into Pioneer.

With BW Auras lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurrus is the most Chad magic card of all time. Absolute legend. They should ban him in Vintage again.

Everyone I know who plays Pioneer on Modo loves it. If it comes to Arena I’ll start simping WotC again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

I loving love them.

Good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Historic: The last den of the nightmare cat.