Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Nessus posted:

How far can a Javelin shoot?

The Russians were probably pushing the trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Alchenar posted:

The thing I immediately notice there - that is not good ambush terrain if the opposing force has even a shred of security.

I kind of agree. Maybe a very small tactical element - like a squad or maybe two? I guess you could setup on that berm and just have everyone open up with automatic fire at the driver cabins. It's only a few vehicles. But the tactical security is atrocious: a couple BRDMs would have kept that safe. (Unless that squad has Javelins/NLAWs/RPG-12s.

Overall it's anecdotal evidence that Russian forces don't control any ground where they don't have physical infantry and mechanized presence this very instant.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nessus posted:

2km for the normal version, extended range versions also exist apparently.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nessus posted:

E: f/b

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not good. They got shafted on vaccines availability much like everyone else outside NA, EU, and half a dozen other countries.

What happened to the perfect amazing Russian homegrown vaccine that Putin gave to his daughter?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

Maybe, maybe not. The reality is that Russian state media is fundamentally untrustworthy, and cannot really substantiate any claim or video.

No, he was. We have literal video evidence. Not everything is some grand conspiracy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah Javelin is for low flying aircraft or helicopters, not for medium to high altitude cruising aircraft like bombers.

I'm mixing up the Javelin Anti Tank weapon and their other missile systems.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 7, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah Javelin is for low flying aircraft or helicopters, not for medium to high altitude cruising aircraft like bombers.
Oh yes I am just thinking that you don't need a very high quality ambush situation if you just have to pop out and have everyone pick their truck, dump your death missiles, and then run back to get some pierogies. Even if one javelin misses that's five out of six and I imagine if it's a truck in the middle, it might go up too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I kind of agree. Maybe a very small tactical element - like a squad or maybe two? I guess you could setup on that berm and just have everyone open up with automatic fire at the driver cabins. It's only a few vehicles. But the tactical security is atrocious: a couple BRDMs would have kept that safe. (Unless that squad has Javelins/NLAWs/RPG-12s.

Overall it's anecdotal evidence that Russian forces don't control any ground where they don't have physical infantry and mechanized presence this very instant.

The road just ahead of the ambush site goes back to being dense forest on either side - they made a deliberate decision to hit them while they were out in the open - which might have been at a distance. They then clearly felt confident enough to walk up and stand around filming for a bit.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Alchenar posted:

The thing I immediately notice there - that is not good ambush terrain if the opposing force has even a shred of security.

Those treelines in the distance are very well within reach of Anti-tank guided missiles. A lot of them do not require the user or anything else especially notable to be exposed before or after launch. Spotting a cold missile tube or optic in a bush or peeking out of a shallow depression a mile out isn't going to be easy - at least without helicopters/drones/something taking a close look from the air with good sensors.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is the third one, and narrator says that they’re about to destroy it.

Carmant posted:

That's clearly not going to happen. If they were going to compromise, what would it look like? Just Crimea?

You’d have to have a referendum to determine that. The government is literally not in position to legally offer any territorial compromise. After the barbaristic bombardment of Russian cities, I’m very lukewarm on Ukrainian people voting to change their constitution in order to provide Russia with any territorial concessions. Even before this invasion, that was a really out there idea as far as the popular opinion goes, to, e.g., trade Crimea for EU/NATO memberships in peace.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CommieGIR posted:

The Javelin is for super low flying aircraft that stay so close to the ground they have tracks.

I think you meant Stingers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

The Javelin is for super low flying aircraft that stay so close to the ground they have tracks.

Yeah I mixed up the Stingers and Javelins, my bad.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Chalks posted:

So how much stuff can 7 fuel trucks resupply?

~4k gallons each I think.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ZombieLenin posted:

You can hit helicopters with Javelins too though. It's not what they are designed for but it's completely possible.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I mixed up the Stingers and Javelins, my bad.

It happens. I am also sure someone can point a Javelin at a low flying or hovering aircraft too. As I recall over half of the downed Apaches in Iraq and Afghanistan were brought down by rpg-7s.

punishedkissinger posted:

You can hit helicopters with Javelins too though. It's not what they are designed for but it's completely possible.

You beat me to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

Oh yeah, apparently its been tested against helicopters and can be toggled from top attack mode (for tanks) into a direct fire mode.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

It is interesting to note the demilitarization demand got dropped publicly. What neutrality in the constitution means is anyone's guess though.

Except it didn’t.

https://www.reuters.com/world/kremlin-says-russian-military-action-will-stop-moment-if-ukraine-meets-2022-03-07/

quote:

"We really are finishing the demilitarisation of Ukraine. We will finish it. But the main thing is that Ukraine ceases its military action. They should stop their military action and then no one will shoot," he said.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

why is everything qanon now

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Oh yeah, apparently its been tested against helicopters and can be toggled from top attack mode (for tanks) into a direct fire mode.

Technically direct mode is for tanks with overhead cover (i.e. trees), but gunners are trained for using it against helicopters.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500877633143332864?s=20&t=6yt8kZXeEuMS8wQ5FXpBnA

Hoochie mama

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

What happened to the perfect amazing Russian homegrown vaccine that Putin gave to his daughter?

It seems to be effective, although it's difficult to say for sure since Russia has not been completely transparent about, well, anything regarding the vaccine. The rollout/distribution phase was disastrous, though. Only 36% of Russians were fully vaccinated as of November.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Yes, stop fighting back and let the Russian army occupy the country. Then agree to let us keep Donbas and Crimea.

Problem solved and the war is over! Are we in Imperial Russia not generous? Peace in our time.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i really interpret this as "we have nearly demilitarized ukraine due to our massive victories and therefore do not need to impose it as a condition of a ceasefire." which is absurd on its face, since ukraine clearly has more weapons now than it did before the war, but russia is also not in a position to say that they are not easily winning the war.

edit: and to make it clear - diplomatic talk is often deliberately ambiguous, so i don't think there is any way to know for sure unless we are sitting in the negotiations room. i read this as a positive development, but others can rightly read it otherwise.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 7, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chalks posted:

Let's say that one tanker can carry 6000 litres of fuel... they could fully fill up a battalion of T-72's, or a lot more lighter vehicles. And those trucks won't be making any more fuel runs either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

why is everything qanon now

Who do you think helped push this stuff?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

there are potential constructions that would sound like neutrality but are stronger for ukraine in practice, like no foreign armies on its soil or whatever. but we're a long way from russia being willing to back down its demands enough that there's even room for agreement given that russia's word is worthless so the situation created by the peace deal needs to be relatively stable regardless of bad russian intent

Their demand is, to quote, “They should make amendments to the constitution according to which Ukraine would reject any aims to enter any bloc”.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the person filming say “pasho na khui pedarast?” If so lmao I remembered my Kazakh friend teaching me this too for extra emphasis.

No, a similar slur that is ambivalent to the age of the boys.

The Question IRL posted:

COVID III: Die Darkman, Die!

COVID III Of Might and Magic

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ZombieLenin posted:

You can read all about it on their propaganda website

https://sputnikvaccine.com

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jesus, that's gonna have some impact if confirmed.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
"Cease military action" reads like a slightly watered down version of "demilitarise". i.e "Stop firing at us and let us win so we can go back to the really crazy demands".

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

In economic news $1 gets you 150 rubles now (up from 80 two weeks ago and 105 last Monday).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

And it's unlikely that there's plenty more of where they came from. I don't think they have much of a military chopper reservoir? Pretty daring.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Chalks posted:

That's around 6000 liters of fuel each. A full tank on one of these trucks is 300, and that moves them 100km for 35 liters on roads.

7 is fairly bad

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Are the Russian words for "demiltarization" and "militarization" like the equivalent of "inflammable" and "flammable" in English? That's the only way this makes sense, given that Ukraine is net positive in tank losses/acquisitions since this started.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Often Abbreviated posted:

"Cease military action" reads like a slightly watered down version of "demilitarise". i.e "Stop firing at us and let us win so we can go back to the really crazy demands".

They are also basically saying: Ukraine has to stay in a position where Russia could readily take the rest of the country when it suited them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Chalks posted:

One fuel truck has about 20k L capacity, T-90 has about 1600L fuel capacity, so about a dozen tanks per truck.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Ukraine wasn’t huge on it, for understandable reasons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes, stop fighting back and let the Russian army occupy the country. Then agree to let us keep Donbas and Crimea.

Problem solved and the war is over! Are we in Imperial Russia not generous? Peace in our time.

"Just close your eyes and think of England"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CommieGIR posted:

Who do you think helped push this stuff?

brb will need three sets of paragraphs to answer that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tweeting this while negotiations are actually occuring might suggest that the "neutrality" demand is simply not going to fly

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1500857331881545728?cxt=HHwWgMC41dPyjtQpAAAA