Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sometimes I feel like this entry in the usernames thread was meant for the UKMT

Winifred Madgers posted:

The Nonce and Future King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

killerwhat posted:

It doesn’t even make sense. “My household has fewer people, but our bill is lower! You’re doing it wrong!”

That extra human is a source of heat and should be reducing your bills accordingly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The councillor's heating bill is lower because she's keeping her family warm with that take

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Ok, cool

Like, I don't care about making personal financial gains (and 75% of something is better than 0% of nothing, I guess) but I really can't make any losses

Mostly it's just a hail mary on a black eye for Keef

i think of it as a gofundme for labour party drama

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The councillor's heating bill is lower because she's keeping her family warm with that take

:hmmyes:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/poncyvaper/status/1500584476669366276

hullo i'm new labours have you considered wearing a jumper instead of being poor? need to light your home? set a jumper on fire. need ventilation? attach several jumpers to a cat. hungry? eat a jumper you prole scum.

It must be one of the unspoken rules of the internet that commentators always blame the victim.

If the cost of living is too high then it’s your fault because you have the heating cranked up all day because you like wandering around in shorts watching the biggest sky package on your enormous FLAT SCREEN tv. The thought someone might be doing everything they can to cut back on usage but still getting shafted apparently doesn’t occur to them.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

To recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque and insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less.

New Labour: yes but if the starving man ate less he would be able to afford more food so he wouldn't starve!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The thought someone might be doing everything they can to cut back on usage but still getting shafted apparently doesn’t occur to them.
Even when it's explicitly stated that the main part of their grievance was with the supplier making bank while people suffer, like it has to be deliberate at that point.

"Governor Shitbag sends men to cut off our right hand if we don't make the rubber quota, meanwhile he lives in riches."
"I know a great place for left handed tools :) :)"

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I've always taken it that people like that are just totally indoctrinated to Just World bullshit.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guavanaut posted:

Even when it's explicitly stated that the main part of their grievance was with the supplier making bank while people suffer, like it has to be deliberate at that point.

"Governor Shitbag sends men to cut off our right hand if we don't make the rubber quota, meanwhile he lives in riches."
"I know a great place for left handed tools :) :)"

I think a lot of it is projection combined with the internet giving a voice to any idiot who wants to shout about their opinion.

To use heating as an example, there’s plenty of boomers smugly telling younger generations they can’t have the heating on all day anymore. I don’t know of any millennials/gen Z who run the heating all day, but guess who always has the heating on when I visit? The boomers.

It’s the same poo poo where they tell people that they should stop spending money to always have the latest and greatest things, even though the people affected obviously aren’t. It’s because they always must have the latest and greatest, and look down on those that don’t.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We didn't have phones when I was a kid so you should stop spending a thousand pounds on phones every two weeks do you even need a phone i didn't when I was a kid.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Overminty posted:

I've always taken it that people like that are just totally indoctrinated to Just World bullshit.

It is an absolute pillar of centrism that society cannot be fundamentally changed, only bad actors who somehow mysteriously and repeatedly end up in power, so if life conspires to leave you in crippling poverty then either you've personally hosed up or that's just the fickle cruelty of life, and a care package of thoughts and prayers will be on their Twitter feed shortly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah even among those that aren't Just Worlders or other fundamentalists there's often a complete lack of what C Wright Mills called the sociological imagination.

Like there are individual problems with individual solutions that we can all do a bit better with, but if you assume that 10% of people can't easily afford their heating and that some wide scale sociological change has made heating even less affordable, then there is no level of additional jumper wearing that isn't going to cause some combination of that 10% increasing and the level of suffering within than now >10% increasing. It's just not a problem with an individual solution, even if the social solution is "jumper vouchers" or something not great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also I imagine you're much more likely to live in an energy-efficient (or at least well-insulated) house if you are posh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you considered that the market will provide jumpers at an appropriate rate to those who need them and that any shortfall can be made up by charitable knitting societies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please read my article where I went charity shopping for jumpers for my family and ended up buying a ballgown, eight pairs of trainers I plan to resell on ebay, and signed up to rent a coffee table from bright house next door, and now I live in regret.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
because a well-made, well-insulated house in a nice suburb somewhere costs 5 times as much as a drafty newbuild slapped together in 2 weeks which is probably also on a flood plain

the Vimes Boots theory strikes again

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Why don't poors just buy air heat pumps? It will pay itself back in 5-10 years.

*poor family saves up to buy an air heat pump*

Whoah, you claim to be poor when you have the dough for luxury items like that? Better cut your benefits!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lord Ludikrous posted:

To use heating as an example, there’s plenty of boomers smugly telling younger generations they can’t have the heating on all day anymore. I don’t know of any millennials/gen Z who run the heating all day, but guess who always has the heating on when I visit? The boomers.

In those very replies there are some old pricks doing the whole "in my day we woke up to frost on the inside of the windows and wore three jumpers indoors" routine.

Point the first: So what? It's not the 1960s any more and the point, surely, is that things should be better than they were in the past?

Point the second: Loads of people died of flu, TB, pneumonia etc. or lived permanently with impaired lungs and ridden with allergies because they lived in damp, cold houses heated with coal fired or paraffin heaters. You didn't, but others did.

This sort of cult of suffering and a perverse desire to make things worse to teach the soft youth a lesson, and the fact that some people and politicians are comfortable enough to say it explicitly, is really weird and seems to be a fairly modern development. It seemed to start off with Brexit, and how it's a good thing that you won't be able to travel abroad, buy grapefruits or afford ['luxury' that's not actually a luxury any more] so you'll live like my idealised 1960s childhood and if you're not happy you'll at least be grateful.

Is this a sort of ideological immune response to living standards flatlining post-2008 and then going into reverse? Things can't get better, but let me tell you how it's actually good that they're going to get worse?

Or is it just collective rose-tinted spectacles by that perpetual 50+ part of the population that always polls against the rest and are materially secure and divorced from economic and political reality?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1500873195049701379

Can't remember if I've posted here about this building before but it was originally built as offices but then the GFC happened and it sat, half-built (and with the rebar just sitting out in open air, without even a tarp over it) for years before being changed to residential and completed - you can see the change in the exterior of the building, with the balconies being on the new floors and the weird pseudobalconies tacked on to the old floors.

The outer cladding isn't actually flammable *but* there's non-fire-rated timber boards on the balconies and the leaseholders have been locked in a battle with the freeholders and builders over this and some other fire-safety failures related to the change of use (IIRC the fire exit routes aren't continuous between the two sections, while it's technically within the law because the whole path is protected it's definitely not best practice). There's also almost certainly going to be some severe structural problems down the line no matter how they dealt with that rebar being left exposed for several years but AFAIK that's not (currently) being addressed either.

Only minor injuries reported so far but once again it turns out letting The Market decide on how to build housing has some unpleasant side-effects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can live in a cold house and I'll have your pension and live in a warm one then, we'll both be happier apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reminds me of the terrible prison take meme (that definitely predates brexit)

Apparently "plus they won't be able to vote for pricks" was not the desired reaction. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

You can live in a cold house and I'll have your pension and live in a warm one then, we'll both be happier apparently.

Not if you live on Whitechapel High Street.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BalloonFish posted:

Is this a sort of ideological immune response to living standards flatlining post-2008 and then going into reverse? Things can't get better, but let me tell you how it's actually good that they're going to get worse?

Or is it just collective rose-tinted spectacles by that perpetual 50+ part of the population that always polls against the rest and are materially secure and divorced from economic and political reality?

I assume for a certain portion of those folk, it's a way of distracting/distancing themselves from it being their practices as landlords with extortionate rents and lovely housing that put people into situations where their home is constantly freezing/damp/mouldy/unsafe/all of the above

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of the terrible prison take meme (that definitely predates brexit)

Apparently "plus they won't be able to vote for pricks" was not the desired reaction. :v:

Agree with this if being in prison also means the elderly can’t vote any more

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not that it needs saying itt but prison is not a good place to be an elderly person. They're all about arbitrary punishment there, & you can do that on old people just by treating them the same as young people. Like they'll just take away the cushion you need to sit on the hard chairs for no reason, & then you're hosed

Then they'll openly brag about how funny it was during an interview with a researcher with the recorder on, get absolutely monstered in the paper & later lose their job as warden for saying the quiet part loud lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Care homes aren't great either, but I think the overall meme is just another example of the famous "veterans are homeless MEANWHILE asylum seekers get 4 star hotels and room service" where the only real stated belief is that showing lip service to one injustice allows you to go hog wild on another group who aren't having a great time with less pushback.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
guaranteed that anyone sharing that meme is also 100% against the social care tax

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

GiVe OaPs FoOtBaLlErS wAgEs!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

guaranteed that anyone sharing that meme is also 100% against the social care tax

And probably post memes about 'looking after our own' to be swiftly followed by memes about people on benefits being lazy scroungers with 55" plasma screen tellies. Unlike themselves who were in the trenches and on the beaches through two world wars despite being only 45 years old and too scared to wear a facemask for 5 minutes in a shop.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Imagining a Reality TV show with boomers being allowed to live in prison and see how luxurious it is. Danny Dyer hosts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of people with good brain logic (and boomers who may be allowed to live in prison)

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500886096837849099

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Imagining a Reality TV show with boomers being allowed to live in prison and see how luxurious it is. Danny Dyer hosts.

I think it was Sweden (?) who recently recruited thousands of volunteers to "test" a new prison. They should do that here so all the boomers can either go see what it's like or shut the gently caress up*

*lol they will never shut up

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of people with good brain logic (and boomers who may be allowed to live in prison)

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500886096837849099

That's pretty much word-for-word the justification for the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the "interventions" elsewhere around the world.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And really, it’s not about making the care homes nicer, it’s about making the prisons more poo poo.

They don’t care about care homes, except as a means to bash prisons. It’s like the men who bang on about domestic abuse of males and male suicide, both of which are clearly awful, during women’s day, week etc, and then completely ignore it the other 51 weeks of the year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's pretty much word-for-word the justification for the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the "interventions" elsewhere around the world.
They at least found the secret WMD labs in Ukraine :pseudo:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
At least the Americans tried to create a pretense for Iraq beforehand, by like getting Colin Powell to debase himself at the UN and say a lot of wild poo poo about chemical weapons that could hit us in 45 minutes. Russians are just being lazy imo, haven't been putting the work in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we could send both tonty blair and putin to the hague that would be nice.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Neither will face justice, both will live longer than Kissinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1500917964052258817