Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

I got concerned by the damage taken increase on the Soreseal (the +5 one) so I haven't been using it. I saw what it did to my damage absorption ratings and immediately took it off lol. Is the drawback worth it?

It definitely is worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

I got concerned by the damage taken increase on the Soreseal (the +5 one) so I haven't been using it. I saw what it did to my damage absorption ratings and immediately took it off lol. Is the drawback worth it?

they're completely fuckin insane, each one gives +3 to four different stats, it's like 12 levels for free and theres also upgraded versions that give +5 to those stats instead. i've got both equipped and i'm never fuckin taking them off lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Control Volume posted:

I found a basic talisman right near the start that probably would have cut a couple hours worth of final boss attempts on my first playthrough if I knew it existed :negative:

Yeah there's a ton of stuff you can find real close to the starting area if you know where to look. There's some random guy on the beach just behind the start that drops a gravity weapon art. It would have been useful if I had found it before I decided to go dex/faith instead of dex/int

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

Unless youre stacking armor or cant survive a hit, absolutely

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

they're completely fuckin insane, each one gives +3 to four different stats, it's like 12 levels for free and theres also upgraded versions that give +5 to those stats instead. i've got both equipped and i'm never fuckin taking them off lol

Yeah the boost to vigor means my HP is a lot higher so the damage increase doesn't matter much lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah the boost to vigor means my HP is a lot higher so the damage increase doesn't matter much lol

absolutely lol, there's tons of poo poo that adds to your stats in this too up on altus plateau i found an awful-looking helmet that adds one to faith and i'm not taking it off lmao, apparently the commoner garb does too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I looked on the wiki and naturally people have done a ton of testing and yeah it looks like it's extremely worth it

It works out that if you're below the 40 Vigor softcap, the extra HP you gain from the Scarseal is enough that you can take more hits before you die even though your defense is drastically lowered. If you're at or above 40 Vigor already then the Scarseal does actually decrease your survivability in a measurable way (the extra HP is less due to diminishing returns), but not by a ton and the extra damage and Endurance you have probably make up for it.

Guess I'm putting it back on as soon as I log back in after work

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i wore the stone head helms for most of the game. +5 int is insane

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

I looked on the wiki and naturally people have done a ton of testing and yeah it looks like it's extremely worth it

It works out that if you're below the 40 Vigor softcap, the extra HP you gain from the Scarseal is enough that you can take more hits before you die even though your defense is drastically lowered. If you're at or above 40 Vigor already then the Scarseal does actually decrease your survivability in a measurable way (the extra HP is less due to diminishing returns), but not by a ton and the extra damage and Endurance you have probably make up for it.

Guess I'm putting it back on as soon as I log back in after work

the vigor softcap is actually 60 lol. and almost all the other stat softcaps are around 80

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Noticing that everyone who has claimed to already beaten the game in this thread is an INT build wiki reading minmaxer. Hmm...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

the vigor softcap is actually 60 lol. and almost all the other stat softcaps are around 80

Vigor kinda has two softcaps. Maybe it's more accurate to say 40 is the point where diminishing returns starts, and 60 is where it starts to feel like a real softcap.

Up to 40, every point you put in Vigor is worth more than the last one, so it's ramping up pretty fast. Between 40 and 60, the HP per point starts going down and every point is worth less than the last, but not enough that it's not worth it. After 60 it's low enough that it's not really worth it anymore.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

So I explored the capitol, went into the sewers, which are the Depths, ultimate edition and fought a really tough boss at the bottom, and now there's a very scary door at the very bottom, drat that was the toughest boss I've fought yet. Also Volcano Manor is cool, very different feel from the rest of the game, and hunting npcs is sick. Dex/ faith is cool, just gonna go full fast roll. Is the artifact that improves the roll worth it?

dex/fth has some of the best weapons in the game friend. enjoy. plus if you don't like the unique ones theres the erdsteel daggers which scale with faith and you can slap whatever art you want on. Dagger powerstance is ftw in this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quick exploration tip

With the map open, pressing Y/Triangle brings up a text list of all the sites of grace you've unlocked, sorted by region. If you press R3 on this list you can mark a site of grace with a little star. It's probably meant to mark important sites of grace but you could use it as a way to sort of check off mini-dungeons you've completed for yourself to keep track.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm doing str/fth as a big heavy armor dude with just enough faith to use some cool weapons, but kinda wanna respec to use the moonlight great sword instead.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

American McGay posted:

Noticing that everyone who has claimed to already beaten the game in this thread is an INT build wiki reading minmaxer. Hmm...

Dead Giveaway

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Quick exploration tip

With the map open, pressing Y/Triangle brings up a text list of all the sites of grace you've unlocked, sorted by region. If you press R3 on this list you can mark a site of grace with a little star. It's probably meant to mark important sites of grace but you could use it as a way to sort of check off mini-dungeons you've completed for yourself to keep track.

i stumbled upon the fact that you can also filter for only marked sites so I'm using it for a couple of sites related to quests and stuff. can't tell you what to press because I'm too stupid to remember unless the controller is in you hand. it's a lot better than slowly dragging the map cursor to where you want to go and I can't remember the name of any of these sites

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm doing str/fth as a big heavy armor dude with just enough faith to use some cool weapons, but kinda wanna respec to use the moonlight great sword instead.

The charged r2 with the buff active is really really good, but it's slow AF. If you're heavy armor thats less of a problem though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

this is the way to go. Magma wyrm scale sword is magnificent and the L2 seems to catch players offguard at the moment, probably won't for long but has given me a few PvP kills. Hoping to find some more unique/weird weapons though, most of those so far seem to be dex or quality

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I found the moonlight greatsword last night and it turned out tweaking my build to be all-in on INT was the right loving move. the weapon art destroys

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I found the moonlight greatsword last night and it turned out tweaking my build to be all-in on INT was the right loving move. the weapon art destroys

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So what the gently caress is up with the end of Alexander's questline..

Also yeah the Dark Moonlight Sword loving rocks.

Also Hoarfrost stomp is hilariously broken and causes invaders to rage quit.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i usually go dex in these games so it really paid off that bleed is retardedly strong rn

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

been saying thou art unfit even to Craft when i get a turd from a boar

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I started out as Str/Faith then pivoted to Str/Int but might pivot back to Str/Faith to use the Magma Wyrm Sword and some dragon weapons again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dongicus posted:

i usually go dex in these games so it really paid off that bleed is retardedly strong rn

Bleed kicks so much rear end that I’ve been using the starting uchigatana for the entire game lol.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
if you put all your points into int you get smart enough to open up google so you can stop having fun faster

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Every single point in strength, I have 200HP, 0 intelligence, and have slow rolled since the first second of the game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol I ain't going through wikis I promise

I basically always do STR/FTH in these games, I wanted to do something different this time!! I organically found it!!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

That Little Demon posted:

Every single point in strength, I have 200HP, 0 intelligence, and have slow rolled since the first second of the game

lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm gonna be wearing the mirror helm all game because I read the item description and I wanna see if it actually does something, lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bleed is balanced enough cause there are some enemies/bosses that are immune to it, but it's hosed up broken if you put it on a fast weapon.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dongicus posted:

I did int/dex in the beginning and was running around with katanas and doing frost/bleed on dudes. the greatsword is an adjustment after rolling around powerstancing

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bleed kicks so much rear end that I’ve been using the starting uchigatana for the entire game lol.

I definitely want to do a bleed build next time. I've found so many cool weapons for it that I can't use for now.

Everyone in my roundtable is dead or gone who knows where. Underground I found D's brother but he was all muttering and crazy because I accidentally killed D whoops

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Okay but what’s your build in game 😂😂😂

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

back in love with the rusted anchor greataxe. i want to like the brick hammer but its too shrimpy looking..

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I found a 60 str weapon... :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I definitely want to do a bleed build next time. I've found so many cool weapons for it that I can't use for now.

Everyone in my roundtable is dead or gone who knows where. Underground I found D's brother but he was all muttering and crazy because I accidentally killed D whoops
I gave them the armor because I feel compelled to do every quest thing but now I'm regretting it cause it hasn't gone anywhere and I was using the bracers because they were sick looking.