Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the greatest perils in the game is being a horse rider and also feeling the need to explore every edge of geography. The other day I just hit circle while gazing off a cliff and made a quite fatal step. And numerous other times I've managed to fall to my doom while trying to turn around the horse when again gazing from atop one of those 45 degree rock pillars.

Someone said wolves are trouble on the horse, not so for me. Mind you now I've been using some manner of big gently caress off stick for the whole game.

Some NPC would probably tell me what the giant jar and knights are all about if I could only find that person. Just getting to them is tedious enough, then I managed to kill one, but it seems I must kill all 3 if I want the jar to spill its knowledge unto me, or otherwise allow me to pass into the colosseum that I assume is just an elaborate cupboard for storing more jars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

codo27 posted:

One of the greatest perils in the game is being a horse rider and also feeling the need to explore every edge of geography. The other day I just hit circle while gazing off a cliff and made a quite fatal step. And numerous other times I've managed to fall to my doom while trying to turn around the horse when again gazing from atop one of those 45 degree rock pillars.

Someone said wolves are trouble on the horse, not so for me. Mind you now I've been using some manner of big gently caress off stick for the whole game.

Some NPC would probably tell me what the giant jar and knights are all about if I could only find that person. Just getting to them is tedious enough, then I managed to kill one, but it seems I must kill all 3 if I want the jar to spill its knowledge unto me, or otherwise allow me to pass into the colosseum that I assume is just an elaborate cupboard for storing more jars

The thing you're doing there just gives you an equip load talisman

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Deki posted:

So what's the deal with Margit and Margott the fell king? Same guy? Why was he loving around with us at Stormveil?

I will say defeating Margott in a one-shot felt loving good considering how much of a stone wall Margit was.

There's like four people who go by two different names.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The drat Putrid crystalian trio seems incredibly hard even with mimic spirit and all the usual cheese.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

That Dang Dad posted:

So I beat the game but I didn't continue to NG+ because I wanted to explore some side areas I missed like the Haligtree level everyone is raving about.

My run was Strength Tank with either Pizza Cutter or a Greatsword. I'm thinking of switching it up for my victory lap. I never tried powerstancing two weapons, are there some fun combos I can do with 40 Str/30 Dex or so? Any unusual recommendations that would feel very different than slamming fools with great swords?

Try stuff that lets you hit fast, like two katana types. I've got the uchi upgraded to +8 and with "stamp" there isn't much that can get much damage to me at all before they've been cut down by many strong, fast hits. Most of the time even bosses are done before they get to the bloodloss phase of the damage. (With the "Stamp" ash, since it sets the weapon to scale STR at "B", 2-handing the Uchi get's me to like 156 + 113dm, but it strikes so fast that nothing else in my inventory gets close to it)

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 7, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

codo27 posted:

i will say it's kind of funny i read in an interview some place they deliberately made riding the horse around extremely fast and responsive and arcadey because it was more enjoyable that way, but even with that goal in mind if the horse is right on the edge of something and you want to turn around it has to take one step forward before it pivots

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brandfarlig posted:

It's really not hard to tell because the answer is always the second one unless you're in the super late game.

the game would lose nothing by making this explicit and would, indeed, gain from it, since the probability of you drastically overleveling an area and turning it into chump town is a lot less when you know roughly whether an area is designed for your given level band

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What you have to do is just pan the camera around away from the edge and then carefully move the stick backwards. I just am not that careful, ever.

Ain't it dumb that sprinting on the horse uses your own stamina? Probably a balance thing as its all that holds me back from attacking more sometimes

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

If you find yourself on a cliffs edge on horseback and don't trust yourself to turn around with the analog stick then just use the double jump. Jump forward and then immediately backwards back to safety.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Cowcaster posted:

i will say it's kind of funny i read in an interview some place they deliberately made riding the horse around extremely fast and responsive and arcadey because it was more enjoyable that way, but even with that goal in mind if the horse is right on the edge of something and you want to turn around it has to take one step forward before it pivots

Who knew making the players main method of transportation good was good game design?

Vermain posted:

the game would lose nothing by making this explicit and would, indeed, gain from it, since the probability of you drastically overleveling an area and turning it into chump town is a lot less when you know roughly whether an area is designed for your given level band

Sure, but how do you do that without putting numbers on the map or limiting the player more?

codo27 posted:

What you have to do is just pan the camera around away from the edge and then carefully move the stick backwards. I just am not that careful, ever.

Ain't it dumb that sprinting on the horse uses your own stamina? Probably a balance thing as its all that holds me back from attacking more sometimes

Those reins are really heavy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Cowcaster posted:

it's not a big problem unless you're literally horse-platforming: just jump up and move the stick back in the direction you want to go and press jump again in mid-air. Saves you from walking off cliffs.
edit: :)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

codo27 posted:

I never tire of the use of "lazy" to describe aspects of this game which is quite easily the biggest landmark in gaming since about RE4

the game reuses the same assets constantly, in that regard it's pretty lazy

fun, but #open world games

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
so where SHOULD I go after the academy and the manor? I've unlocked the plateau and can do the festival but it's too tough right now. Just level up until I can do the festival, or some other thing?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Man, that cathedral uses the same style of brick for the entire structure. Guess those stonemasons got lazy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something's been bugging me about NPCs like Fia and Dung Eater and I figured out what it is - the intro makes them seem significantly greater than they really are - D.E. is even called out as taking part in the Shattering. It feels like they were retooled a ton. It's really cool and menancing when you first see DE in the Hold but after that it's kind of just whatever if you don't go for his quest. You can even punk him by turning him into a puppet. I didn't even realize Fia was the same deathbed companion. Like yeah there are ending variants related to them but it feels weird how they're just sort of there. A lot of the game so far though feels like that. Even seeing the Fingers feels a lot like "well, ok".

e: Oh wait, I got it wrong. They're all Tarnished, but still. They don't really feel like they matter especially much. I guess that's a pretty GRRM thing though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 7, 2022

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yesterday I climbed to the top of a ruined church and shot the Tree Sentinel with 200 arrows and then I climbed down and fed him to wolves and +2 great sword R2s from horseback. Felt good as hell after he chased me down and murdered me on sight 10 minutes into the game the day prior.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regarding level banding, I think the game is intentionally obfuscating things like that to create a more player-directed experience.

If each area on the map had like color-coding or something that changed from red to yellow to green or whatever based on your level and weapon upgrade levels or something, I think the game would lose a lot of its exploratory feeling. As it stands right now, it's still pretty easy to tell when you're outclassed by something and should be stronger, but ultimately that's up to you to figure out--and up to you if you want to press on or go do something else. If the game explicitly told you "you're not as strong as you should be for this area" you'd much more likely just never go there in the first place until you were the "right" level range. Maybe that ultimately has the same destination (you leave and go do something else), but the journey would be very different and not in a way that I think is conducive to the experience Elden Ring is trying to give players.

The answer to "am I underleveled for every area I could go explore right now?" is "probably not" for the vast majority of the game, though I guess if you try everywhere you can think of to explore and you're getting your rear end kicked in all of them then perhaps that's the answer.

Anyway in general I think there are times when hiding information from a player is a perfectly justified thing, depending on the game and its goals. Elden Ring not clearly marking which areas are too strong for you right now is in service of letting you figure that out for yourself and while I can understand players finding that frustrating, I think it's in line with the rest of the game's design to make that a player-directed thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vermain posted:

Is “I keep dying in this zone maybe I should come back later” not explicit enough for you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the game has a zone level indicator it's called "wow this enemy just wrecked my poo poo"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Vermain posted:

I think the game would become a little too straightforward then, it would just be find appropriate content -> do appropriate content instead of working it out on your own and occasionally finding yourself stuck doing something beyond your ability (which is ok in smaller doses honestly).

No Mods No Masters posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I can't sign on to this one, the laziest stuff was actually weirdly on the critical path looking squarely at you, the entirety of crumbling farum azula except the boss whereas the secret region legacy dungeon, though reusing a lot of enemies, at least had a lot of design effort put in to the environment and making the encounters as annoying as possible
Farum Azula had one part I liked, the banished knight gauntlet. You kind of massacre them and it's a good "look how far I've come" moment when the rest of the endgame just shits on you.

That Dang Dad posted:

So I beat the game but I didn't continue to NG+ because I wanted to explore some side areas I missed like the Haligtree level everyone is raving about.

My run was Strength Tank with either Pizza Cutter or a Greatsword. I'm thinking of switching it up for my victory lap. I never tried powerstancing two weapons, are there some fun combos I can do with 40 Str/30 Dex or so? Any unusual recommendations that would feel very different than slamming fools with great swords?
I've been using pizza cutter + axe of godfrey.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

starting as a pure mage is pretty interesting. it seems hard? but you can get up to like 5-6 memory slots really quick, pick up carian slicer, and free aiming glint arc to obliterate packs really makes it smooth as well. its fun! and sitting at 10 vit forever is also fun

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I finally went back to duel the NPC knights at the Great Jar and fought 2 magic katanas and a 10-second-long dragon breath and Blackfire spammer. :argh: I see you, other players. I see how you live!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

f;uck beante

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

broken pixel posted:

I finally went back to duel the NPC knights at the Great Jar and fought 2 magic katanas and a 10-second-long dragon breath and Blackfire spammer. :argh: I see you, other players. I see how you live!

I also spam hoarfrost stomp once I chug a brew

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

queeb posted:

starting as a pure mage is pretty interesting. it seems hard? but you can get up to like 5-6 memory slots really quick, pick up carian slicer, and free aiming glint arc to obliterate packs really makes it smooth as well. its fun! and sitting at 10 vit forever is also fun

can you? i've found a grand total of two memory slot increases so far and i'm itching for more but all the places i've checked require more game progression before i can get them

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

redreader posted:

so where SHOULD I go after the academy and the manor? I've unlocked the plateau and can do the festival but it's too tough right now. Just level up until I can do the festival, or some other thing?

This is probably around the right time to go north and progress Ranni's quest at the westernmost towers

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Also this is probably not a universal issue though I have seen other reports of it- my opinion about the finishedness of (late game area) crumbling farum azula was not improved by the optional dragon boss's AI breaking at 40% HP and him just standing there perfectly still while I finished lazering him to death

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I am mildly annoyed by the "hold the wind-up for just a little bit too long to fake out the dodge" trick, because it happens so often. It's such a simple and dumb trick but it gets me every time. The Valiant Gargoyle boss has two different moves where it pulls a greataxe out and does a sideways swing with it, but one of them has a little hitch in the wind-up where it drags on the floor for a second, and I never managed to tell which one was which until it was too late. If I have one complaint about FROM boss animations in general is that they can go from having to visibly work to heave their massive weapons at you to casually swinging them around like golf clubs from one move to the next.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Vermain posted:

i feel like player survivability scaling would be less of an issue if there was both more armor options available early (seriously, the fact that the knight set is the best non-farmed armor set for a good 60-70% of the game is insane) and if level bands were more clearly signposted

as it stands, it's hard to tell if the reason you're getting flattened is because you're in The Hard Zone or because the game's balance expects you to be 30 levels higher than you are right now

Yea, the way I would judge it is if I couldn't take off at least 15%-ish of an enemies health with a good hit then I was probably in a tough area if those were "normal" guys for that place.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Volte posted:

I am mildly annoyed by the "hold the wind-up for just a little bit too long to fake out the dodge" trick, because it happens so often. It's such a simple and dumb trick but it gets me every time. The Valiant Gargoyle boss has two different moves where it pulls a greataxe out and does a sideways swing with it, but one of them has a little hitch in the wind-up where it drags on the floor for a second, and I never managed to tell which one was which until it was too late. If I have one complaint about FROM boss animations in general is that they can go from having to visibly work to heave their massive weapons at you to casually swinging them around like golf clubs from one move to the next.
The good news is greataxe form seems to have no answer to just hugging their feet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm trying to find the "Four unlocated demigods" before I go too far in the capital (I'm at the Erdtree chamber already) but cannot figure out where they could be.

I looked it up and apparently they are in a zone I've never heard of before. This game is bananas-big.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

enemies wreck your poo poo isn't necessarily a good metric if you can reliably dunk the soldier dudes but the local bosses one shot you

also; why does mohg's arena have clutter in it stop putting poo poo in arenas holy gently caress

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I also spam hoarfrost stomp once I chug a brew

… same. And bloody slash.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Cowcaster posted:

can you? i've found a grand total of two memory slot increases so far and i'm itching for more but all the places i've checked require more game progression before i can get them

There's several rises that only need you to puzzle a bit. As is usually the case in Souls getting a caster build set up is much easier when you can route it a bit from experience or wiki.

Gamerofthegame posted:

enemies wreck your poo poo isn't necessarily a good metric if you can reliably dunk the soldier dudes but the local bosses one shot you

also; why does mohg's arena have clutter in it stop putting poo poo in arenas holy gently caress

Under few circumstances should you be getting oneshot if appropriately leveled for a boss. Getting wrecked is the best indicator.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Harrow posted:

Regarding level banding, I think the game is intentionally obfuscating things like that to create a more player-directed experience.

If each area on the map had like color-coding or something that changed from red to yellow to green or whatever based on your level and weapon upgrade levels or something, I think the game would lose a lot of its exploratory feeling. As it stands right now, it's still pretty easy to tell when you're outclassed by something and should be stronger, but ultimately that's up to you to figure out--and up to you if you want to press on or go do something else. If the game explicitly told you "you're not as strong as you should be for this area" you'd much more likely just never go there in the first place until you were the "right" level range. Maybe that ultimately has the same destination (you leave and go do something else), but the journey would be very different and not in a way that I think is conducive to the experience Elden Ring is trying to give players.

The answer to "am I underleveled for every area I could go explore right now?" is "probably not" for the vast majority of the game, though I guess if you try everywhere you can think of to explore and you're getting your rear end kicked in all of them then perhaps that's the answer.

Anyway in general I think there are times when hiding information from a player is a perfectly justified thing, depending on the game and its goals. Elden Ring not clearly marking which areas are too strong for you right now is in service of letting you figure that out for yourself and while I can understand players finding that frustrating, I think it's in line with the rest of the game's design to make that a player-directed thing.

This is exactly what happened to me with Castle Morne. I got REALLY intimidated by the giant gently caress-all archer at the front and spent my time exploring avoiding him, thinking it was a way advanced area. Then as a lark when I was mostly runeless I jumped off my horse and started attacking his legs. Was surprised that I was doing chunky damage and then took him down pretty handily.

Then proceeded into the castle itself and, while challenging, wrapped up everything there in an hour or so. It felt so good since I had anchored myself into thinking it was a big inaccessible beast.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Substandard posted:

Is there a decent bow option that scales with STR? I thought maybe the mighty shot art would let me change to heavy scaling, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Right now I'm largely just using Kukri's, or an un-upgraded longbow if I need to aim. But if there are better options I'd like to know.

Radahn's greatbow (remembrance lady) is what you're after. You can buy more of the special ammo from the rememerance lady too, so that you get to spam those purple shots, though all standard great arrows will work too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cowcaster posted:

All the memory slots are going to me, the strength fighter with like 8 faith and 10 int or whatever

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Under few circumstances should you be getting oneshot if appropriately leveled for a boss. Getting wrecked is the best indicator.

you misunderstand me; the trash you can clean through, but then you find out you're underleveled because that boss is wrecking your poo poo but your runes are stuck in there so you're compelled to try it for a bit

the crystalian dude dungeons are particularly bad for this

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
So after bashing my head against everyone's favorite, Radhan, for a good 3 hours, I decided to switch from my trusty claymore to a blood ashed uchigatana. I could only get it up to a +13 and even with all-in on strength build he simply melted. I was 1 hit away from killing him on the first try, and got him on the second.

I think strength build may have been a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cowcaster posted:

1 in the weeping peninsula tower, 1 from roundtable, 2 easy to get ones in liurnia is 6 total with the 2 you start with right away, and you can get one after getting through caria manor