Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Gamerofthegame posted:

you misunderstand me; the trash you can clean through, but then you find out you're underleveled because that boss is wrecking your poo poo but your runes are stuck in there so you're compelled to try it for a bit

the crystalian dude dungeons are particularly bad for this

Fair enough. Remember that save+quit puts you outside the fog door. It can even save you from falling to your death if you're really quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

queeb posted:

1 in the weeping peninsula tower, 1 from roundtable, 2 easy to get ones in liurnia is 6 total with the 2 you start with right away, and you can get one after getting through caria manor

spoiler if you want but where are the easy ones in liurnia? the first rise i found needs a gesture i don't have

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Sellen

So am I to understand that at the end she didn't quite realize that Rennala would be right back and got turned into a face ball? That's ... some kind of an ending for her, I guess.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Cowcaster posted:

spoiler if you want but where are the easy ones in liurnia? the first rise i found needs a gesture i don't have

Gesture spoiler: you get it from the dude who wants back into the academy. Find the key on top of a chandelier in the academy. You also need the 2 faced mask from the academy.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 7, 2022

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Cowcaster posted:

i will say it's kind of funny i read in an interview some place they deliberately made riding the horse around extremely fast and responsive and arcadey because it was more enjoyable that way, but even with that goal in mind if the horse is right on the edge of something and you want to turn around it has to take one step forward before it pivots

That kind of stuff is so infuriating, the little quirks that have to do with how the game queues up inputs has gotten me damaged and killed a LOT.

It's very noticeable with fast weapons, you'll think you're through a swipe and ready to block but miss it somehow even though you've got the button held, or what is incredibly infuriating is not actually swapping from the bow properly and having to wait precious extra time while you fire an arrow off into nothing because you accidentally tried to attack before the right part of the animation decides you've got your sword out instead.

It makes you feel dumb because you know the game isn't dropping inputs, but it's just particular enough about not letting you cancel that if you get surprised by something leaping towards you it's easy to mis-time something that in other games doesn't cause you any issues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TeaJay posted:

So am I to understand that at the end she didn't quite realize that Rennala would be right back and got turned into a face ball? That's ... some kind of an ending for her, I guess.

There's a lot of weird body poo poo in this game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

So am I to understand that at the end she didn't quite realize that Relanna would be right back and got turned into a face ball? That's ... some kind of an ending for her, I guess.

I don't think there's really enough info to actually say, but my interpretation was her whole plan was about wanting to become face ball, she did, and then renalla was like uh ok guess I'll come back in then

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Volte posted:

If I have one complaint about FROM boss animations in general is that they can go from having to visibly work to heave their massive weapons at you to casually swinging them around like golf clubs from one move to the next.

drat. You just put words to a feeling I've had pretty much the whole game. Dark Souls 3 had weird swing timings and pauses to trip up veteran players who could dodge roll on reaction to beat any boss that in previous entries would have been considered "fair". Elden Ring adds this new trick, though, and you've nailed it. My brain knew something was off, but I couldn't tell why the timings on some boss swings just seem like they don't fit.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think there's really enough info to actually say, but my interpretation was her whole plan was about wanting to become face ball, she did, and then renalla was like uh ok guess I'll come back in then

She doesn't sound entirely pleased. And the other 2 renegades also look dead/incredibly hosed up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do find it funny that goons see their own experiences as objectively correct.

They struggled at a boss so the boss must be poorly designed.

It reminds me of when the game first release and the whiny about the first real boss and when I got there he turned out to be a pretty standard first souls boss.

Kind of slow with one long combo that literally could not be more telegraphed

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm trying to find the "Four unlocated demigods" before I go too far in the capital (I'm at the Erdtree chamber already) but cannot figure out where they could be.

I looked it up and apparently they are in a zone I've never heard of before. This game is bananas-big.

Forget about the demigods for now and continue the story.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
is that the beast priest blocking my path to the volcano manor? wtf dude go back to your hole

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
also stop being mad at me cause your prick bodyguard picked a fight with me

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

hazardousmouse posted:

is that the beast priest blocking my path to the volcano manor? wtf dude go back to your hole

No.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It reminds me of when the game first release and the whiny about the first real boss and when I got there he turned out to be a pretty standard first souls boss.

lvl 10 goon with non upgraded weapon: man when is from going to nerf Margit, I don't know what else I can do in this vast open world

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Anyone willing to give a hint on how to get to the lower area of Stormveil? I was able to find one path down to a miniboss, but not whatever leads to the elevator back up.

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021
Anyone know why there's 2 sets of pvp fingers? One from volcano manor crew and one from mask dude that slices your finger or whatever (recusant and bloody?).

The descriptions seem the same.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I see a lot of criticism of this game that seems very valid and a lot that seems pretty laughably dumb, often coming from people who have just chugged 100+ hours of ER in a week. I have barely begun my own journey as a Tarnished because I started ER and decided I had to finish the DS3 DLCs and play Sekiro before going through ER while I wait for a patch or two to improve performance on my potato PC.

Now, with that caveat aside - has there ever been an open world game or any game of this magnitude that isn't guilty of reusing assets? I've literally been reading every post in this thread for a few days now and it seems like ER is on a scale that hasn't been attempted by many, if any games before it. Certainly the reuse of assets and bosses is nothing new to the Souls trilogy, at least - it confuses me a little for it to come up as a criticism so often this time around, when it's been there all along and is obviously a way of compensating (I assume, I don't work in game dev or anything) for the otherwise insane scale of the game.

I've heard that a lot of catacombs and smaller dungeons are very similar, but is it a really egregious problem that will grate any player's nerves or is it the kind of thing that is probably less noticeable if you put your 150 hours of ER in over the course of say, a month or two instead of 10 days?

Anyway, just curious to see different perspectives on this because it's come up a lot and seems to bother a lot of people and be completely irrelevant to the experience of others.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Elden Ring is good but it's not perfect, like Bloodborne is

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait for it posted:

Anyone know why there's 2 sets of pvp fingers? One from volcano manor crew and one from mask dude that slices your finger or whatever (recusant and bloody?).

The descriptions seem the same.

not an expert on this but i think one is consumable (think cracked red eye orb) and one is reusable (full red eye orb)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is a grand tradition when discussing games on the internet for people to insist that their personal taste is the same as objectively good game design and it drives me up a goddamn wall lol

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

Elden Ring is good but it's not perfect, like Bloodborne Sekiro is

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tosk posted:

I've heard that a lot of catacombs and smaller dungeons are very similar, but is it a really egregious problem that will grate any player's nerves or is it the kind of thing that is probably less noticeable if you put your 150 hours of ER in over the course of say, a month or two instead of 10 days?

I think it probably depends on how completionist you are. The catacomb and cave tilesets both have a very small pool of rooms (and, honestly, a pretty small pool of bosses) so if you''re trying to clear the map out you will see the same rooms and layouts over and over and over, capped off with "That guy you fought before, but now he has some minions" or "That guy you fought before, but now he inflicts rot".

The main story dungeons are a lot less egregious about it, so if you're just doing those with a couple side dungeons along the way it won't stand out nearly as much.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

It is a grand tradition when discussing games on the internet for people to insist that their personal taste is the same as objectively good game design and it drives me up a goddamn wall lol

it is my own grand tradition where when a goon looks at a game like elden ring and says "i could have designed this better than from software" i instantaneously disregard everything they have to say

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Would it bother you less if people put "I think" before "Radahn is badly designed"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

I think it probably depends on how completionist you are. The catacomb and cave tilesets both have a very small pool of rooms (and, honestly, a pretty small pool of bosses) so if you''re trying to clear the map out you will see the same rooms and layouts over and over and over, capped off with "That guy you fought before, but now he has some minions" or "That guy you fought before, but now he inflicts rot".

while this is true it's also pretty true of those procedurally generated chalice dungeons in bloodborne and no one seems to mind that.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Radahn makes me want to stop playing this game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Earwicker posted:

while this is true it's also pretty true of those procedurally generated chalice dungeons in bloodborne and no one seems to mind that.

As long as Elden doesnt have fetid rotted cursed catacombs I won’t mind.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I wasn't able to play for a week because I was dogsitting, and just came back and skipped 9000 posts in this thread. Sounds like I missed some really insufferable discourse :v:

I'm trying to find a talisman, so I can work towards using this cool new dragonfire incantation I just got. Where is the best place to get one before Margit? I'm just now exploring the Weeping Peninsula, went south to unlock the first site of grace inside the castle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barudak posted:

There are two other endings. You may have been locked out of one (not sure, I assume you have to talk to the people involved to progress) and the other requires you to co-operate with a real piece of poo poo

Yeah I assume there's a default ending just letting this melina freak do her thing but I don't like her. I think I am also working towards another alternate ending with this haligtree medallion business.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

The main story dungeons are a lot less egregious about it, so if you're just doing those with a couple side dungeons along the way it won't stand out nearly as much.

It's not ruining my experience or anything, but I came across "tree sentinel, but there's two now" and just went "no thank you". The boss reuse is only a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

slave to my cravings posted:

Radahn makes me want to stop playing this game

Sit back and let the summons play it for you instead.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Dandywalken posted:

So are Greatbows worth using in a Strength build? Was thinking of giving Radahn's one a try, unless the Golem one is preferable Can I expect >500 damage a shot lategame?

Video Nasty posted:

There is this complete rear end in a top hat archer up on a ridge in Caelid that can fire a purple arrow up into the sky and it rains down a bunch of soul-arrows. Is there any spell or move that I can do like that later in the game? It looks cool as hell.

Yes, and yes. Golem one is good but weighs a ton and doesn't scale, but you can get it super early

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Earwicker posted:

My recollection is that lots of people complained that the chalice dungeons were samey.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Would it bother you less if people put "I think" before "Radahn is badly designed"

No

How is he badly designed

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

There are certainly think I think I would have changed if I was designing some bosses but this is the first Fromsoft game that 1. I've not given up and 2.beaten bosses with no prior knowledge so they can't be too bullshit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I know there's a quest but with the Dung Eater
I told him to leave his jail and he said he was going to murder, curse and destroy families. I couldn't let him leave.

now I have gross tooth armor and a cool sword!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Sit back and let the summons play it for you instead.

They seem like they're there more for a distraction than any amount of Damage?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Inzombiac posted:

I know there's a quest but with the Dung Eater
I told him to leave his jail and he said he was going to murder, curse and destroy families. I couldn't let him leave.

now I have gross tooth armor and a cool sword!

The bad news is you locked yourself out of an ending - the good news is, it was a pretty meaningless ending.

I did the same thing as you btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No

How is he badly designed

horse is too big