Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Watch Banshee instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Reacher's hunches were often shown to be wrong in funny or surprising ways, and he's not very charming or good at communicating. It's corny as hell but he's definitely not just "perfect at everything." I liked that he's some weird combo of Sherlock Holmes and like, Paul Bunyan or something, and if he has some superpower it's just being a tank who can shrug off every injury. He seemed pretty flawed in lots of other ways.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reacher said nothing.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Reacher is extremely good for all the reasons you listed

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Reacher feels like it belongs on TNT or the USA Network. Just has those vibes of a mediocre TV cable drama.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Roth posted:

I highly recommend Criterion Channel and Arrow.

Criterion Channel is a fantastic service at $10.99 a month, and it's probably the service I use the most frequently. It's just so free of the things I don't really care about with other streaming services like there's no algorithms or prestige TV seasons every week. It's just dedicated wholly to film and provided as close to a curated experience one can have with a streaming service. It's got a wide selection of classic films from all over the world, and it feels like there's always something that's new to discover. If you're the kind of person that puts on a movie like once a day, I think this service is pretty essential and an excellent resource if you want to delve deeper into film.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

Personal Highlights: Showa Era Godzilla, Arthouse Animation, Kurosawa, House

Arrow uses the same kind of layout and curation experience that Criterion Channel uses, but their selection tends to be more focused on cult classics than high art films. Not that Criterion Channel films are all stuffy high art movies, but Arrow offers a wide variety of horror, giallo, yakuza, spaghetti westerns, Shaw Brothers. It's a very good complimentary service to Criterion Channel due to the fact that the offerings tend to be not the kind of thing that Criterion Channel would normally put up on ther service. The selection is smaller, but you can free trial for like a month and it's just $5 a month otherwise.

https://www.arrow-player.com/browse

Personal Highlights: Heisei Gamera, Audition, Red Angel, Society, Daimajin

Thanks for this almost-OP suggestion, I've been getting some decent value out of the criterion service and might also sign up to Arrow. BTW the "layout and curation experience" you're talking about is VHX, a whitelabel video hosting platform by Vimeo. If (for pure hypothetical) someone is having trouble with geo VPN usage with one of these services, it may be because you've used a VHX-hosted service in your home country already, and they've squirrelled something into your browser to track you. Use private browsing or another browser if that happens to you, like it definitely didn't happen to me.

An actual question though. It seems to me that Criterion's service is focused on what they consider to be Socially Important films (or at least cinematographically interesting). The words "abstract" and "dreamlike" are in half of the discriptions, and fully half of the library is foreign-language dramas. This is fine when you're in the mood.

You suggested Arrow as complementary, but that seems to be a different flavour of the same thing, i.e. it's focused on Culturally Important films perhaps more than whether the film stands up as entertaining on its own. (this is based just on your description to be fair)

What I would love is a service which has decent-or-better quality films that aren't emotionally moving dramas or Vampire Zombie Guts 4. Like if you took all the films with an IMDB score between 7 and 8.5, and had a decent number of them, not the amazon or netflix approach of 12 decent films floating in a sea of poo poo.

Is there something like that? I'd love to have a good, legal resource for when I just want to see Harrison Ford throw someone off a plane, or whatever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I know it’s for story reasons in Reacher but that amount of murders in one small town would not stay a small-town investigation. Especially when it’s most of the police force!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought people were exaggerating how bad The King's Man is, but no, they were not. Maybe the most confused politics in a movie that I've seen. I've heard of making a complicated or nuanced villain, but the movie instead goes with the approach that the villain is basically right, but gently caress him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've watched a bit of Domina, and while it had a pretty solid start, the third episode kind of lost me. Basically it does a timeskip spanning about a decade between episodes and switch out pretty much the entire cast. I'm not too good with character names at the best of times, so having a whole set of new faces and figuring out who is supposed to be who is a lot. Also, not to be racist against white people, but most of these Roman men look the loving same.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Watched Fresh last night. It was good, but it's been driving me insane trying to figure out who the main girl character looks like. She's got some Mary Elizabeth Winstead in there, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

She's very good in Normal People too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

reacher can also absorb bullets i think. he has a lot of powers. think i might do a rewatch

smackfu posted:

I know it’s for story reasons in Reacher but that amount of murders in one small town would not stay a small-town investigation. Especially when it’s most of the police force!

lol yeah I cracked up at this almost every episode. the local hospitals would be completely overwhelmed

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Google Butt posted:

Watch Banshee instead

cool Im gonna check this out. looks like its on hbo super max plus

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

how does Reacher stay jacked when he's a vagrant who spends his entire life on greyhounds and in motels. the dumbbells they offer in those "gyms" never go above 35 lbs

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A MIRACLE posted:

cool Im gonna check this out. looks like its on hbo super max plus

Banshee is the best trash tv show I've ever seen.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Banshee is fun, but it's super dumb and trashy. WAY more so than Reacher.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 7, 2022

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

smackfu posted:

It's hilarious how many times in Reacher someone suggests getting in the FBI / Feds / whatever and then the suggestion is dismissed, so Reacher can continue ganking random henchmen.

I enjoyed Reacher, but it's a very subjective thing - it's ridiculous, it knows it's ridiculous and leans in heavily. YMMV

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Enos Cabell posted:

Banshee is fun, but it's super dumb and trashy. WAY more so than Reacher.

My favourite Banshee moment was when the main cast are trapped in the police station under siege, cutoff from help, and one character reminds the others than this is not the first time the police station has been under siege. Because that's a thing that happens regularly in Banshee.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

God Hole posted:

how does Reacher stay jacked when he's a vagrant who spends his entire life on greyhounds and in motels. the dumbbells they offer in those "gyms" never go above 35 lbs

HAhahahah I thought the exact same thing throughout. Like "The Rock eats 10 pounds of salmon a day with two hours in the gym, what is this dude doing, killing local wildlife and bench pressing cars???"

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rollos posted:

Reacher feels like it belongs on TNT or the USA Network. Just has those vibes of a mediocre TV cable drama.

exactly, it's a bit like True Detective but in the style of NCIS

there are so many dumb moments but my favorite has to be when the medical examiner analyzes the photos of head wound on a previously closed case suicide (by hanging?) and does a zoom enhance to discover that the wound had to have been made by a large diamond. clearly this implicates the town mayor who walks around with a cane topped by a gigantic diamond

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

nonathlon posted:

My favourite Banshee moment was when the main cast are trapped in the police station under siege, cutoff from help, and one character reminds the others than this is not the first time the police station has been under siege. Because that's a thing that happens regularly in Banshee.

My favorite (among many, it is one of my top shows ever) was when the one deputy's abuser returns and the whole episode kind of sets up the sheriff being the one to handle him and he gets the location of where the guy is from the deputy and goes there and it turns out she gave him the wrong address and she just kicks the everliving poo poo out of this guy (including smashing his head in with a bible) and it rocks

It's a very satisfying show...

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

reacher can also absorb bullets i think. he has a lot of powers. think i might do a rewatch

lol yeah I cracked up at this almost every episode. the local hospitals would be completely overwhelmed

Reminds me of how much I liked the start of Justified in Season 2, where it's just boxing up and cataloging the murder board for the ridiculous amount of carnage at the end of Season 1 and how absolutely crazy it'd be to try and handle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i thought Guardians of Justice definitely had enough weird and neat visual stuff to keep me watching but it also deffo has an insanely "low budget cable access show" vibe that is baffling... especially some of the ADR sounds just super bad, and also doesn't make sense, like there's one character who is always ADR'd even though he's clearly saying the same words so it's like... why is he even ADR'd haha

Fresh is GREAT haha a little predictable in the third act but otherwise :discourse:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I said this in another thread but Diamond Dallas Page as an unhinged Batman is a lot of fun in Guardians of Justice.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

precision posted:

she looks quite a bit like Charlotte Gainsbourgh to me

Nah, I finally realized it's Ella Hunt who she reminded me of. At certain angles they look very similar.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lol I’m watching fresh it’s pretty wacky

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The twist in Guardians of Justice is so insanely stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol I’m watching fresh it’s pretty wacky

it's pretty funny that he cuts off her butt first and that is the only thing that ever gets cut off her so they never have to show her without an appendage or anything.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
West Side Story (the new one) is the most interesting and best possible version of that story, while keeping the original songs, that I can imagine. I still think the songs are hokey as gently caress, and dancing gang members will never make sense, but if you just accept those things and try to enjoy everything else it's pretty great. Some fun shots, sets, and a few pretty decent acting performances.

My main complaint is the Maria actress looking, and actually being, like 8-9 years younger than everyone else. It was distracting and odd.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

it's pretty funny that he cuts off her butt first and that is the only thing that ever gets cut off her so they never have to show her without an appendage or anything.

For some reason I thought the Fresh you're all talking about was that Fresh Prince reboot, so this spoiler took me for a ride.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Glottis posted:

West Side Story (the new one) is the most interesting and best possible version of that story, while keeping the original songs, that I can imagine. I still think the songs are hokey as gently caress, and dancing gang members will never make sense, but if you just accept those things and try to enjoy everything else it's pretty great. Some fun shots, sets, and a few pretty decent acting performances.

My main complaint is the Maria actress looking, and actually being, like 8-9 years younger than everyone else. It was distracting and odd.

All of those teen hoodlums had pretty tall foreheads.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
My wife just made the comment:

"One thing I will say for Reacher is that the dialogue is about a million times better than anything in Midnight Mass."

...and I can't say I disagree.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cithen posted:

My wife just made the comment:

"One thing I will say for Reacher is that the dialogue is about a million times better than anything in Midnight Mass."

...and I can't say I disagree.

False, midnight mass has no dialogue, only monologue

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
you're right, I'll let her know

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

For some reason I thought the Fresh you're all talking about was that Fresh Prince reboot, so this spoiler took me for a ride.

Extremely same, I was about to go watch immediately to see how that could possibly fit in the story.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The Fresh Prince reboot (Bel Air) is good. Not great, but good. Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv are cool as hell, as is Geoffrey.
Carlton makes a good villain. Will is Will but less Will. Ashley hasn't done that much, Hilary seems about right.

The original is one of my favorite comedies ever so I'll continue watching this one to just to see where it goes.

The show needs more lighthearted moments, though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In the Reacher books he expressly doesn't work out, he's just naturally muscular. Parody is too strong a word but there's definitely a sly humor about the character. A behemoth American loner who loves the blues, diners, and frontier justice written by a British guy.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

kinda liking the tourist so far

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Reacher is great because it's literally just a show about a large ham with a license to kill

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

"oh that wasn't James Marsden."
-me on IMDB after watching Fresh, which was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched Westside Story in a mostly empty theater weeks before it was on streaming and it was definitely as good as it could ever be

The Jets leader looking and sounding exactly like the the boss weasel from Who Framed Roger Rabbit was incredibly distracting though