Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gripweed posted:

You've heard of Cloverleaf intersections, but are you ready for Hellspirals?

looks like a forbidden symbol that summons a legion of brodozers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would drive on that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bi crimes posted:

looks like a forbidden symbol that summons a legion of brodozers
Completed by filling it with the blood from a hundred accidents.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of my neighbors has a volkswagen atlas lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I rode in a Toyota Venza and it's like twice the size of a honda fit and somehow has less space inside (there's somehow almost no cargo space because it's so poorly designed) and it's considered a midsize suv. It's amazing how cars manage to keep getting dumber and dumber.

I guess it's not surprising that it's designed for the US car market when the name sounds like "toilet seat" in Japanese.

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Mar 6, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1500582858842259457?s=20&t=5nujO0B6Ic4ySbsfCPI54g

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cool that the biggest and heaviest vehicles are the most likely to be driven by drunk people

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Gripweed posted:

no ring

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

Cool that the biggest and heaviest vehicles are the most likely to be driven by drunk people

if it makes you feel any better it's not like the sober ones aren't driving distracted

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Gripweed posted:

what the. cloverleafs let you turn around and this doesnt even do that it looks like?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

do insurance companies take this sort of information into account like they do age and sex?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

do insurance companies take this sort of information into account like they do age and sex?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they do since insurance prices vary on make and model

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Insurance companies have people whose entire occupation is to calculate your risk based on every available metric

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wake up! Brodozers? DUI Rams? What are you talking about? Oh silly you, you fell asleep in your quiet compartment while we were cruising at 300KPH

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

No this is intentional

If this happens, the car company legally owns you

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Gripweed posted:

maybe we can bait them with a bunch of bike and prius cutouts until they get caught in a deathspiral and run out of gas in like 10 miles.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

how bout this, but then a larger Hell Spiral around it in case you were looking at your phone and missed the first ramp

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know if there's a name for it, but when a street curves to the right or left 90 degrees - it's right by my place and I hate using it because cars just fly around that thing as you can't see who is coming, and there's no stop sign. a speed bump on both sides would be nice, or at least don't have parking in the immediate vicinity

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

at least don't have parking in the immediate vicinity

why do you hate local businesses and the disabled??

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Gripweed posted:

more like Groverleaf

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

actionjackson posted:

I don't know if there's a name for it, but when a street curves to the right or left 90 degrees - it's right by my place and I hate using it because cars just fly around that thing as you can't see who is coming, and there's no stop sign. a speed bump on both sides would be nice, or at least don't have parking in the immediate vicinity

I'd probably call it a blind corner

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

put very large rocks on the edge of your property line

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yes this is something i would feel safe using after watching all those Tesla self-driving videos.

https://twitter.com/Gugullig/status/1500522488790355969?s=20&t=x4ZeVHRWCe7XaVAPlsXfxQ

reinventing the roundabout but lovely

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

God Hole posted:

yes this is something i would feel safe using after watching all those Tesla self-driving videos.

https://twitter.com/Gugullig/status/1500522488790355969?s=20&t=x4ZeVHRWCe7XaVAPlsXfxQ

Building 12 lanes worth of asphalt to carry less then one train would carry.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

God Hole posted:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gripweed posted:

Driving on one of these madness runes gives you an instant case of terminal carbrain

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

God Hole posted:

Big Tech again trying to invent something that already exists. There are cities full of no-sign intersections where people simply slow down and yield as needed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lol

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

God Hole posted:

i thought the attraction of roads being 100% self driving cars was that they could couple together like a train and travel 100mph millimetres from each other, not to have 12 loving lanes of them

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Horace posted:

i thought the attraction of roads being 100% self driving cars was that they could couple together like a train and travel 100mph millimetres from each other, not to have 12 loving lanes of them

they can do whatever you want them to!!! (because they don't exist!!!)

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Gripweed posted:

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

more like Groverleaf
:hmmyes:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

That's $8 in like 1991 money which would be $17 or so today.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

There was a story on the national TV news last night about how we need to bring back passenger rail in New Zealand and painting trains in a positive light, so that's uhh pretty good I guess! Of course we're not going to actually do it because that would cost money which would require taxing the rich and yeah that's not a way to win elections.

Crazy to see a map of how many passenger rail routes have gone away since the 1970's.

Here's the passenger rail network at its peak:

And here it is today:

(And actually some of the 'today' lines shown are really tourist only lines that are shut down due to covid, and even when they were running only went a few times per week)

So basically you can't go between literally any city or town to any other on a train in New Zealand. There are still a fair few tracks existing but they're now used exclusively for freight, and even where there are passenger trains they have to share the lines with freight which mean the passenger services are severely limited in speed. Also the lines and grades are all 100+ years old and were never designed for high speeds, so even if the tracks were clear the trains would still be very limited (and none of the intercity lines are electrified).

The bullshit thing is that we have quite a good electricity grid in terms of renewable energy, about 84% renewable, so if we were to have a robust electrified rail network between our major towns/cities we could massively reduce our overall emissions.

Blackhawk has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Mar 7, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

There was a story on the national TV news last night about how we need to bring back passenger rail in New Zealand and painting trains in a positive light, so that's uhh pretty good I guess! Of course we're not going to actually do it because that would cost money which would require taxing the rich and yeah that's not a way to win elections.

Crazy to see a map of how many passenger rail routes have gone away since the 1970's.

Here's the passenger rail network at its peak:

And here it is today:

(And actually some of the 'today' lines shown are really tourist only lines that are shut down due to covid, and even when they were running only went a few times per week)

So basically you can't go between literally any city or town to any other on a train in New Zealand. There are still a fair few tracks existing but they're now used exclusively for freight, and even where there are passenger trains they have to share the lines with freight which mean the passenger services are severely limited in speed. Also the lines and grades are all 100+ years old and were never designed for high speeds, so even if the tracks were clear the trains would still be very limited (and none of the intercity lines are electrified).

The bullshit thing is that we have quite a good electricity grid in terms of renewable energy, about 84% renewable, so if we were to have a robust electrified rail network between our major towns/cities we could massively reduce our overall emissions.

goddamn, little island in the middle of nowhere all by itself can't resist car brain and paving over everything. what chance does america have?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sphyre posted:

they can do whatever you want them to!!! (because they don't exist!!!)

Self driving cars will never exist

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

walking Bailey when one of these came out of nowhere, so nice of them not to just mow me down (this time)

lol SENSORY

curb weight 5800 pounds (this is with no people or items in it lol)

(btw for reference the new F-150 electric truck WILL BE 6500 POUNDS)

75" tall lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But we just had a kid, we certainly need a vehicle this big!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, federal fuel economy standards don't apply beyond a certain wheelbase, which is why all cars are now humongous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know if we've reached the end of artificially low gas prices (probably not), but it sucks that once again it's largely regular people are getting screwed by it because there's no viable alternative to cars in most places. Like, I want to laugh at everyone finally having to pay for their unsustainable lifestyles, but it's not like there's much of a choice in the US. Then again, you didn't have to move a county over from your job so that your kids could go to the rich-kid school. You didn't have to buy that truck and SUV either. And maybe you had the choice of a smaller house in town vs the huge one you chose outside of town. People make these decisions so casually though, taking for granted that they'll always be possible, and we're reaching the point where the repercussions of unsustainable choices are going to start hurting people more.