Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I personally like getting my 15th sideboard card back.

Its time for bogles, the deck of gentlepeople, to reign supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't play pauper but I love reading Gavin's pauper ban reasoning articles. They are the best ban discussions wizards has put out and I wish more formats would use that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

Everyone I know who plays Pioneer on Modo loves it. If it comes to Arena I’ll start simping WotC again.

I think they will sooner rather than later. There's a Historic Set Championship coming up which I think was the only thing stopping them from doing it right now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
*Rubbing Sleeves together on my fingers*
Lillianaaaaa....
Come out to playyYyy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Goodbye Lurrus, it's been nice
Hope you find your paradise

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
They would have to add loads of cards to Pioneer still to get it to work on Arena

Still I could imagine an intermediate format that's Kaladesh onwards so they don't have to add anything and get rid of all the silly bullshit they added to Historic for no reason (Faithless Looting?!!?!?)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

They would have to add loads of cards to Pioneer still to get it to work on Arena

If they want to add every card that’s ever seen play in pioneer to arena, they would have to add around 75 cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
One of the Midweek Madness events this month is going to be essentially "Pioneer, but only using the Pioneer cards that are already on Arena" and I'm very very curious to see how that goes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mezzanon posted:

If they want to add every card that’s ever seen play in pioneer to arena, they would have to add around 75 cards.

it's funny how the game of telephone has gotten to this point about pioneer on arena

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

New Jin-Gitaxis was more of oblong mirror. I was thinking this version of Elesh could double the ETBs of your creatures entering play from Exile and delete your opponents creatures in Exile.

The wording on the two abilities is identical except one says counter and one says copy (with its usual additional text), that's just a straight up mirror

Anyway, the ability seems super narrow compared to every other praetor so it would probably not get made unless the lead designer was Ken Nagle and he hates Ephemerate as much as Dredge

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The new Yugioh game that everyone likes launched with like 10k Yugioh cards iirc. I think WotC can find a way to add the good Pioneer cards in a reasonable amount of time, but their focus is on figuring out what a format that has all the historic legal cards on arena except for the alchemy cards/rebalances that everyone hates looks like (note: it can't just look like a format with all the historic legal cards except for the alchemy cards/rebalances everyone hates).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
anecdotally, I have heard no one talking about Alchemy since like week 1 of the format's creation and then for a day or so after the balance changes. Is the format just that dead?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people were playing it a bunch when standard sucked pre dynasty and it's fallen off a lot now that standard is good. once the new alchemy cards drop this month it'll probably bounce back again, especially as people get tired of standard again

most of people's complaints about alchemy are about its effect on historic anyway and less about the idea of the format itself

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kashuno posted:

anecdotally, I have heard no one talking about Alchemy since like week 1 of the format's creation and then for a day or so after the balance changes. Is the format just that dead?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/t53769/for_the_people_in_the_back_who_said_alchemy_is/

Not a perfect data set, but for Magic-brained people who would bother self reporting, it seems like interest in Alchemy is pretty low. Anecdotally most people I know who play Arena only play Standard and Limited, all the people I know who used to play Historic haven't bothered playing it since around the first Alchemy drop. The only person I've seen with anything positive to say about Alchemy cards is Crokeyz lol.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So is pauper tron good now?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Spend all your gold on some alchemy packs and find out. Please! Or cash in your wildcards. Just do it!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cashing in WC on Alchemy cards has to feel so bad lol. They're already niche to a pretty small format, and then WotC can basically gently caress with them at will without compensating you at all when they're no longer playable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
WOTC is financially incentivized to completely change up alchemy metas. The more often, the better in their mind.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Cashing in WC on Alchemy cards has to feel so bad lol. They're already niche to a pretty small format, and then WotC can basically gently caress with them at will without compensating you at all when they're no longer playable.

I burned 8-10 last time around on stuff that looked interesting and might have been good enough in Historic (Captain, the green sideboard guy, the red rares).

Anyway, fool me once.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Spend all your gold on some alchemy packs and find out. Please! Or cash in your wildcards. Just do it!

No thanks! I give WotC my money the good honest way: sucking at drafting.

fadam posted:

yeah this is my thought as well. Making people put their WCs into cards that can just be nerfed to unplayability with no way to get WCs back at all seems like it makes it impossible to get into Alchemy. If it was like 'you can trade 2x of any card into 1x of a wildcard' I feel like there could be a good format

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've enjoyed playing Gruul Werewolves in Alchemy but
1. I only play it when it's a Midweek Madness format.
2. I only built the deck because I had most of it from drafting MID and VOW, and it didn't require any Alchemy-specific rares.

It's going to be popular when Standard is bad and look bad when Standard is good. Standard is good right now, ergo nobody really cares about it. It's a solution in search of a problem that doesn't always exist, and has its own problems in kind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
dusting and any similar remove-cards-from-your-collection system would be the worst decision arena could make about their economy, tanking any interest in extended formats and bringing down card acquisition rates across the board to make up for it. it's an extremely short-sighted system and i'm glad arena doesn't have it even if it's got a lovely economy without it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dusting is bad, agree.

As much as I'm sure they already see the program as having currency bloat, I would be interested in seeing an Alchemy wild card. Can only be spent on Alchemy cards but they could hand them out a little more liberally.

If they gave out a half dozen with each Alchemy release, sprinkled them on the path, upped their replacement ratio in the Alchemy packs, made these free events give them out instead of Alchemy ICRs ...

Eventually even people who didn't give a poo poo would have 50 of the things and might give it a go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Good news!

Ehh not sure if they are even good in the deck anymore. I'm not even sure what to cut for them. The card that i'm interested in playing if you're playing them is Murktide.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The wording on the two abilities is identical except one says counter and one says copy (with its usual additional text), that's just a straight up mirror

Anyway, the ability seems super narrow compared to every other praetor so it would probably not get made unless the lead designer was Ken Nagle and he hates Ephemerate as much as Dredge

you can also think of it in the practical terms of "+1 spell for you, -1 spell for them" which is also a perfect mirror. as for hypothetical elesh-norn, if you wanted to go for something in that vein that also keeps the praetor design in mind, prob like "creatures in your opponents graveyard/they own in exile cant etb"/"you may cast creatures from your graveyard/you own in exile". thats probably really strong! and not very mono-w. but maybe lol.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
Just as an anecdotal data point, I haven't had significantly longer queue times in Alchemy than I have in Standard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

dusting and any similar remove-cards-from-your-collection system would be the worst decision arena could make about their economy, tanking any interest in extended formats and bringing down card acquisition rates across the board to make up for it. it's an extremely short-sighted system and i'm glad arena doesn't have it even if it's got a lovely economy without it

Maybe only letting you dust non-Standard cards for non-Standard cards would be a good compromise. Idk, I get where you're coming from but I wish there was some way to convert the unplayable rares into WC. I guess technically the way duplicate protection works you're always making very, very slight progress toward getting cards you want, but it'd be cool to at least be somewhat excited about getting rare card rewards.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Huxley posted:

Dusting is bad, agree.

As much as I'm sure they already see the program as having currency bloat, I would be interested in seeing an Alchemy wild card. Can only be spent on Alchemy cards but they could hand them out a little more liberally.

If they gave out a half dozen with each Alchemy release, sprinkled them on the path, upped their replacement ratio in the Alchemy packs, made these free events give them out instead of Alchemy ICRs ...

Eventually even people who didn't give a poo poo would have 50 of the things and might give it a go.

basically any discussion of dusting is really about how commons/uncommons are worthless, how reprints of rares clog up your collection, and how the deckbuilding ui sucks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

Maybe only letting you dust non-Standard cards for non-Standard cards would be a good compromise. Idk, I get where you're coming from but I wish there was some way to convert the unplayable rares into WC. I guess technically the way duplicate protection works you're always making very, very slight progress toward getting cards you want, but it'd be cool to at least be somewhat excited about getting rare card rewards.

the trap that's easy to fall into when thinking about dusting is thinking that it'd be just adding it to how the existing game works with the rest of it unchanged, but that's very much not the case

the rate that people get new cards is extremely intentional and any new way to speed up getting said cards will be balanced by the alternative ways getting slowed down. less WCs from opening packs, less vault progress, less everything. dupe protection would probably go out the window since you can just dust your extras right? the only thing that'd really get changed by dusting is that suddenly all the established players would erase their entire collection to build the standard decks of the moment (since it'd be the fastest way to play new decks) which is a very short term speedup getting traded away for killing both extended formats and any sort of brewing of off-meta decks

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

it's funny how the game of telephone has gotten to this point about pioneer on arena

I have no regrets flatluigi, not a single one.

Adding pioneer might actually get me to come out of arena retirement.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well you already can't brew off meta decks, since you'll perpetually be out of wildcards. In fact, any alteration to the system probably needs to fix that as the primary problem, without adding too many ill side effects. That issue plus the xp and quests often being tied to wins rather than rewarding deck exploration really skews what you can do in the economy. It's the worst part of arena now that I think about it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well you already can't brew off meta decks, since you'll perpetually be out of wildcards. In fact, any alteration to the system probably needs to fix that as the primary problem, without adding too many ill side effects. That issue plus the xp and quests often being tied to wins rather than rewarding deck exploration really skews what you can do in the economy. It's the worst part of arena now that I think about it.

you can brew off meta decks with the cards you acquire on your way to getting the cards you want, through opening packs, ICRs, and draft pickups of cards you wouldn't otherwise target

Mezzanon posted:

I have no regrets flatluigi, not a single one.

Adding pioneer might actually get me to come out of arena retirement.

it's more that the "wizards only needs to add 75 cards to make pioneer happen" is both a dubious claim up front and ignores how many cards shut off meta success purely by existing in the format. it's an argument i dislike since it seems to be backfilled to support 'it's easy to implement pioneer on arena and they could do it tomorrow' after hearing that there's over three thousand cards in pioneer that aren't on arena one too many times

i'm still enjoying historic but i do want a true-to-paper extended format on arena as soon as they can do it, i just think people need to accept that whatever it is is gonna be a format that's inherently different than pioneer and will stay different until they finish implementing all the different cards + there's better ways to do that format than just 'ship 75 cards out and give up.' personally i want whatever format they do to still feel like historic minus alchemy, and there's too many iconic-to-the-format cards in historic that aren't in pioneer to keep that feeling in what pseudo-pioneer arena format they do, but at this point i think i'm going to be disappointed with whatever they settle on

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
i mean technically vintage/legacy on modo aren't true to paper either. there's a ton of cards that they never implemented for various reasons

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

jpmeyer posted:

i mean technically vintage/legacy on modo aren't true to paper either. there's a ton of cards that they never implemented for various reasons

yeah, i've watched enough canlander players to know they have their gripes about weirdo old cards being missing, but even then 3k+ cards is a bit of an order of magnitude and there's gonna be a lot of cards in that that people are going to want not just for pioneer but also for historic and historic brawl

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
also "just add those 75 cards" kinda gives away the game in that it's not really enough cards to make a full set, so at best it ends up structured like alchemy where basically everything is a rare and the pack is then stuffed with worthless random commons/uncommons

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

fadam posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/t53769/for_the_people_in_the_back_who_said_alchemy_is/

Not a perfect data set, but for Magic-brained people who would bother self reporting, it seems like interest in Alchemy is pretty low. Anecdotally most people I know who play Arena only play Standard and Limited, all the people I know who used to play Historic haven't bothered playing it since around the first Alchemy drop. The only person I've seen with anything positive to say about Alchemy cards is Crokeyz lol.

mengu also loves it but mengu has terminal pro-brain about alot of things and he's immensely salty about anything that gets banned so such is life

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cool I can play BBE in Jund again

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GoutPatrol posted:

Cool I can play BBE in Jund again

yeah but you shouldn’t

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007