Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

drunken officeparty posted:

What are the small obelisk looking things I see everywhere

They enable using summoning ashes

I was wondering that for the longest time myself too. I was half convinced it was lore-related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
a place to put your butthole message on

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dumb question: If I put an ash of war on my Claymore and later remove it, will the Claymore just go back to Lion's Claw?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
uh excuse me From, this drawbridge would take DAYS to cool off
immersion loving ruined
:colbert:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Went back and found a lot I missed in stormveil but cant find the way to the lower area

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hazardousmouse posted:

uh excuse me From, this drawbridge would take DAYS to cool off
immersion loving ruined
:colbert:

i mean if you want realism, lava flows don't really behave like spicy red water to begin with lol

(you know this, i'm sure, i just wanted to post "spicy red water")

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Dumb question: If I put an ash of war on my Claymore and later remove it, will the Claymore just go back to Lion's Claw?

Yes. It won't consume the ash either if you're worried about that. They're like accessories for weapons, not consumables.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean if you want realism, lava flows don't really behave like spicy red water to begin with lol

(you know this, i'm sure, i just wanted to post "spicy red water")

spicy red syrup, with the fat rolls you get being in it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Yes. It won't consume the ash either if you're worried about that. They're like accessories for weapons, not consumables.

Thanks, that's good to know on both counts (seeing an ash duplication mechanic made me paranoid). I like Lion's Claw a lot so I was scared of losing it but wanted to experiment with other stuff

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Nepheli quest: Has anyone found a way to progress this quest after giving her the hawk ashes? She's just chillin down by the stairs even when you go back right before you fight final boss. Makes me think there's more to do for her.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I don't know what the like Cosmic reason for the omens is, or what they represent.

Omen speculation given that Morgott and Mogh seem to be children of Godfrey and Marika, I wonder if there’s some causal relationship there between Godfrey losing the grace of gold and the Omen curse. Could also be related to the crucible or the ancestral followers since both of those things seem to be horn related

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So regular weapons go like +15 and up right? I've been using the wolf sword for the entire game and it's at +9. Does a regular weapon that goes higher end up outperforming the somber stone weapons?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hope they sort the connection issues soon. I played a ton of coop yest and it was a blast. Almost every game I join today has connection issues. Tried different places and it's the same thing everywhere. I just want to sunbro, bro.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

is the Crucible actually an in-game location? i've found a few hints about it being used to create demihumans / beastmen and i thought it might just be another name for the Farum Azula but i can't tell for certain

Macaluso posted:

So regular weapons go like +15 and up right? I've been using the wolf sword for the entire game and it's at +9. Does a regular weapon that goes higher end up outperforming the somber stone weapons?

regular weapons go up to 25, with 1-24 being infinitely farmable upgrades and 25 the capstone. somber is 1-9 and capstone 10

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Malenia is showing me that Elden Ring wanted me to learn a bunch of new things in the souls-verse and I just completely failed at that lmao.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CLARPUS posted:

Nepheli quest: Has anyone found a way to progress this quest after giving her the hawk ashes? She's just chillin down by the stairs even when you go back right before you fight final boss. Makes me think there's more to do for her.

There are some datamined voice lines for subsequent parts of her quest but no one knows how/if they can be triggered. Considering how long the population has had to work on it at this point I’m leaning toward it being bugged or cut content

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I accidentally posted the following in the wrong thread earlier but posting it here becuase I think I triggered something...? What did I do??

--

Can someone please help me with (secret secret dungeon underneath the capital) Subterranean Shunning Grounds, in the secret area after you defeat the boss? I can't quite figure out what route they want me to take down.

Edit: The power of complaining on the internet worked! Now there's just a dead end with a very ominous door that I'm not sure what to do about..

Edit 2: I followed the advice on some messages and got the door open and now some Three Finger thing just hugged me and now messages are saying it's time for chaos??

Artelier fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 8, 2022

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I still don't really get quests in this game, because I'm usually playing in some stage of inebriation, but I'm fine with that. I can never remember who was where or what they told me to do. I figure these things will just work themselves out in time. Oh, there is one exception, I did finish the quest where the blind lady by the road tasks you with taking a note to her father, having some problems with unruly staff in the castle down the road. Did so, Dad's all, tell my girl I said hi. So I go back and she's just laying there and the text is all She's Dead (hit OK) and for some reason I thought that was really funny.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are some datamined voice lines for subsequent parts of her quest but no one knows how/if they can be triggered. Considering how long the population has had to work on it at this point I’m leaning toward it being bugged or cut content

Though I guess people found an alternate way for boc's quest to continue in the last day or two so who knows, maybe it really is something insanely obscure

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is the Crucible actually an in-game location? i've found a few hints about it being used to create demihumans / beastmen and i thought it might just be another name for the Farum Azula but i can't tell for certain

regular weapons go up to 25, with 1-24 being infinitely farmable upgrades and 25 the capstone. somber is 1-9 and capstone 10

But will a +25 weapon be stronger than +10 somber weapon or are they about comparable

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow this loving guy put down a sign, got summoned by me, and then noped out. Feels good man.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Everyone complaining about Godskin Duo clearly never messed around with sleep pots/sleep in general. Two pots puts the big guy to sleep and then it's a matter of managing who is asleep and who isn't (and making sure your spirit ash doesn't gently caress that up). It turned a clusterfuck into an actually fun fight.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You inspired me to try my own variation using some different weapons.

Namely these two daggers:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Reduvia

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Scorpion%27s+Stinger

You don't get to shove any ashes of war on either one since they're somber weapons, which also means no Blood Slash, but dual wield dagger moveset is super quick so you can build up the ailments very fast. Reduvia has it's own unique Ash of War in a mid range blood projectile that can also build up bleed and does good damage itself. It's also one of the Arcane scaling weapons that isn't broken right now!

Haven't gotten to test this out on a boss or such yet but it's fun and is giving me something a little different to roll with besides Hoarfrost Stomping everything for easy victory.

Reduvia plus a 100% phys shield makes margit and godrick fairly easy for people getting started

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow this loving guy put down a sign, got summoned by me, and then noped out. Feels good man.

You found real-life Patches??

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

when i highlight a location on the map, does the red or grey banner colour signify anything?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

But will a +25 weapon be stronger than +10 somber weapon or are they about comparable

Comparable. Although also a lot of what makes a weapon good or bad is its internal scaling with is both weapon-specific and incredibly obscure, the E-S rating system tells you almost nothing lol.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Question about Consecrated Grounds:

The waypoint teleporter to access Moghwyn Palace is deactivated for me, and doing Varre's questline isn't an option because I murdered his rear end. How do I activate the teleporter? (Please don't tell me it's by killing the invading Sanguine Noble who two shots me...)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

parara posted:

(Please don't tell me it's by killing the invading Sanguine Noble who two shots me...)

:(

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Oh no..... Thank you though, I will keep trying.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are you just supposed to throw ashes of war on a random rear end weapon and then whip that out to use them? Nothing I'm using can be infused with them and it doesn't look like any of the "special" weapons can take them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Big guy on a tiny horse boss is literally impossible

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Artelier posted:

I accidentally posted the following in the wrong thread earlier but posting it here becuase I think I triggered something...? What did I do??

--

Can someone please help me with (secret secret dungeon underneath the capital) Subterranean Shunning Grounds, in the secret area after you defeat the boss? I can't quite figure out what route they want me to take down.

Edit: The power of complaining on the internet worked! Now there's just a dead end with a very ominous door that I'm not sure what to do about..

Edit 2: I followed the advice on some messages and got the door open and now some Three Finger thing just hugged me and now messages are saying it's time for chaos??

So I rested at a grace and now Melina tells me I inherited some flame and has sworn to murder me?? Am I locked into an ending or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Faith is out.

We're arc dragon bois now.

There are three goddamn dragons next to the Moonlight altar.
Jfc I'm good but this is bonkers.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

parara posted:

Question about Consecrated Grounds:

The waypoint teleporter to access Moghwyn Palace is deactivated for me, and doing Varre's questline isn't an option because I murdered his rear end. How do I activate the teleporter? (Please don't tell me it's by killing the invading Sanguine Noble who two shots me...)

lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

heckyeahpathy posted:

Everyone complaining about Godskin Duo clearly never messed around with sleep pots/sleep in general. Two pots puts the big guy to sleep and then it's a matter of managing who is asleep and who isn't (and making sure your spirit ash doesn't gently caress that up). It turned a clusterfuck into an actually fun fight.

im sorry what the gently caress this works???

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Artelier posted:

So I rested at a grace and now Melina tells me I inherited some flame and has sworn to murder me?? Am I locked into an ending or something?
You are, but there's a special way to get out of it... behind a very hard boss.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Artelier posted:

you are unless you go do stuff to get a needle and cure yourself of the frenzied flame

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

fknlo posted:

Are you just supposed to throw ashes of war on a random rear end weapon and then whip that out to use them? Nothing I'm using can be infused with them and it doesn't look like any of the "special" weapons can take them.

There different ashes for different types of weapons, some ashes only go on spears, some go on everything except axes and hammers, and so on. You're either using weapons that can't use them or you don't have the right ashes.

You use them because you either want the special move, or the stat scaling they change (so if you change a sword that had only had an STR of "D" to STR "B", + it adds DEX "C" or something, it will start doing more and more damage as you level those up which can make weapons a lot stronger.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gologle posted:

im sorry what the gently caress this works???

this game is full of bullshit but it's a pretty even spread of bullshit for enemies and for the player lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh. I just now finally upgraded my mimic tear to +10.

Lol. Lmao.