Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

drat horror queefs posted:

Page 1000

1000 pages of peace order and good governance

May it last 1000 pages more and then be wiped off the face off the earth along with every other living thing amen

millennial pax canadiana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can almost see how someone thought those signs were more cute then insulting. Definitely coming from, or okayd by, some energy vampire busybody types who are way too excited to get back to the office and think everyone else wants the same.

"ha ha, sure sucks we gotta be uncomfortable and also make our pets sad for this dumb song and dance"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i prefer to think it was done by a bitter graphic designer that never expected they would actually get approved

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

RBC posted:

i prefer to think it was done by a bitter graphic designer that never expected they would actually get approved

they got it from shudderstock

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

amazing, it wasn't even anybody's direct employer. just the building owner letting you know that their building is a miserable place to be.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
for their next initiative, they're planning to add "abandon all hope ye who enter here" over every entrance

as a playful joke

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Karach posted:

Renters aren't even people in Canada.

does that mean it's not really suicide if I KMS in my apartment?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

does that mean it's not really suicide if I KMS in my apartment?

Maybe I should clarify and say that I, personally, consider Canadian renters to be human beings, and believe they're entitled to civic rights and a certain amount of affection from friends and family. I really like you, renters.

It's the system that treats renters like scum. Landlords paint a hallway and install low-flow toilets that they got for free from a government-subsidized program, and then turn around and demand a 10% increase in rent based on "improvements made." You go down to the tenancies board to complain about this and are basically told that you're nothing and nobody after waiting for six weeks. It sucks.

And you're like a ghost as far as politicians are concerned.

What I'm saying is, don't KYS, Papa Was A Video Toaster. You are needed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
someone's gotta pay those rents.

landlords need to eat too, right?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

Given the immanent climate collapse, it's probably psychologically healthier to become accustomed to mass death than any social problems being solved ever again

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i can't even afford to rent, lol, lmao

if my parents disappeared i'd be homeless lol!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I got evicted from my last place so the landlord could "move in his daughter". That was November and the bitch still ain't moved in. My mom, whose name was on the lease, doesn't want to take him to court because she wants to use him as a reference.
New place is smaller, longer commute and costs 50% more.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

someone's gotta pay those rents.

landlords need to eat too, right?

vindictive landlords can take our pools away at any time

one poops, all are punished

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
But what're they gonna do if they find out who pooped in it? Arrest them for pooping?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Oct 29, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

landlords helping landlords from around the globe, doesn't it just warm the cockles of your little Canadian heart :canada:
https://twitter.com/DailyHiveVan/status/1500987158651412480

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

for their next initiative, they're planning to add "abandon all hope ye who enter here" over every entrance

as a playful joke

MEMO TO STAFF :

After some thoughtful workshopping this was found to be "too dark" by some. In the interest of maintaining an inclusive and positive work environment, it will be replaced by the more uplifting phase, "Work Shall Set You Free"!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Karach posted:

vindictive landlords can take our pools away at any time

one poops, all are punished

tenants, you give 'em an inch, they think they're a ruler

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jean Charest to launch Conservative leadership bid Thursday, Radio-Canada sources say

quote:

Former Quebec premier will join Pierre Poilievre in the race to become next Conservative leader

Jean Charest, the former Premier of Quebec, will be a candidate to succeed Erin O'Toole as leader of the Conservative Party of Canada.

He will make the official announcement on Thursday, two sources confirmed to Radio-Canada.

Earlier Monday, he won the endorsement of columnist Tasha Kheiriddin, who will not be running.

Kheiriddin was one of the anticipated candidates for the Conservative leadership race, but after careful consideration and discussions with Charest, she said he is best placed to advance their shared vision for the party.

She said the decision not to run was difficult but necessary, "so that we can really rebuild this big [Conservative] tent."

"There is no point in dividing our electorate or membership," she said in French. "So that we have a chance of succeeding in advancing the party in that direction."

Charest is not yet an official candidate in the race to become leader of the Conservatives, but Kheiriddin "doesn't think that his candidacy is a big secret."

But the official launch of Jean Charest's candidacy seems imminent.

After meeting with MPs and senators in Ottawa last week, Charest has strategic meetings scheduled for this week.

Pierre Poilievre, the Conservative MP for Carleton, is the only candidate to have formally declared his candidacy to date.

Prospective candidates have until June 3 to enter the race. The party will declare its new leader on September 10.

An official Charest website appeared on Feb. 2. The owner of the site, still under construction, remains anonymous.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/charest-leadership-announcement-1.6376367

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I would love to see the cons finally win Quebec but lose the prairies as the monkeys paw curls.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Popoto posted:

Jean Charest to launch Conservative leadership bid Thursday, Radio-Canada sources say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/charest-leadership-announcement-1.6376367

stephen harper dons a groucho mask and walks into the registration office

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

This guy looks like the bad guy from Doom 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bleck posted:

This guy looks like the bad guy from Doom 3.

i see it

no, wait, now i REALLY see it

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Let's say nuclear power heats all our homes and charges all of our cars. How does more available energy get us off the treadmill of buying and being sold garbage and basically throwing the Earth in a trashcan

:ducksiren: Anprim! Anprim! :hurr:

I guess I should have been more clear. I don't think it will be palatable to tell Canadians that they're gonna have to just deal with 40 C in the summer and -40C in the winter and que sera sera. Conspicuous consumption and disposable items can go, and planned obsolecense needs to die

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arivia posted:

i see it

no, wait, now i REALLY see it

lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thank you i was worried no one would get this

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Virtual Russian posted:

I would love to see the cons finally win Quebec but lose the prairies as the monkeys paw curls.

Gotta get out the PPC vote in MB, SK, and AB to make this dream come true

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Isentropy posted:

I guess I should have been more clear. I don't think it will be palatable to tell Canadians that they're gonna have to just deal with 40 C in the summer and -40C in the winter and que sera sera. Conspicuous consumption and disposable items can go, and planned obsolecense needs to die

"We just need to learn to live with [insert horrible thing nobody should have to live with]"

The groundwork for this has already been laid with covid, forest fires, and floods. We were fine with hundreds of old people just keeling over from heat stroke in BC during the heat dome.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Karach posted:

Gotta get out the PPC vote in MB, SK, and AB to make this dream come true

You forgot the BC interior

(BTW, I started a new Western Canada thread in LAN just in case we needed to pass on survival tips or whatever. And I will soon need recommendations for new snow tires again)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Futanari Damacy posted:

Let's say nuclear power heats all our homes and charges all of our cars. How does more available energy get us off the treadmill of buying and being sold garbage and basically throwing the Earth in a trashcan

:ducksiren: Anprim! Anprim! :hurr:

No I get it. If we can't solve literally every environmental issue in one big sweeping gesture that is accomplished overnight, there's no point in doing anything.

We've already lost, right? No point in even making an effort.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Nuclear energy can be useful for addressing climate change but it's not a solution itself, and I don't know why people get so passionate in defending it like it is the solution.

We need to address capitalist production and consumption. There are a lot of movements doing this in bits and pieces, most notably in recent years are anti pipeline groups. Those are a more real solution in my mind than a pro nuclear lobby.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Duck Rodgers posted:

Nuclear energy can be useful for addressing climate change but it's not a solution itself, and I don't know why people get so passionate in defending it like it is the solution.

We need to address capitalist production and consumption. There are a lot of movements doing this in bits and pieces, most notably in recent years are anti pipeline groups. Those are a more real solution in my mind than a pro nuclear lobby.

what good is no pipeline when there is no energy alternative to heating your home and getting to your job? the energy needs to come from somewhere, might as well be nuclear as well as other alternatives

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

a primate posted:

what good is no pipeline when there is no energy alternative to heating your home and getting to your job? the energy needs to come from somewhere, might as well be nuclear as well as other alternatives

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Duck Rodgers posted:

It's much more feasible to significantly stall climate change with nuclear power than to try and convince people that consumerism is bad.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
My position is that there needs to be an absolute decline in energy and resource use. That can only happen by addressing production for commodity consumption which mean's confronting capitalism.

I am not against nuclear. My original point was that environmental movements should be judged primarily based on their opinion of capitalism, not on their opinion of nuclear power. The environmental crises are a result of capitalism. An anticapitalist, antinuclear environmentalist is more useful than a pro capitalist pro nuclear environmentalist. Ideally you can be anticapitalist pronuclear. But time and again the argument comes around to pro or anti nuclear, when the real issue is pro or anti capitalist.

e: re feasibility. It's not primarily about convincing people consumerism is bad. It's about building and using power to confront capitalist production and it's already happening. It's not a PR strategy

Duck Rodgers has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Mar 8, 2022

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Like we couldn't even convince people to stop going to Hudsons for overpriced wings during a deadly plague, you think people are gonna stop buying iphones because something something the vague notion of weather being worse in 30 years?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

We've already lost, right? No point in even making an effort.

The kind of social and governmental reforms we need to accomplish meaningful change would require staunch and immediate education on all relevant topics so that by the time that generation of people become the voting majority they could be trusted to actually support the necessary means and measures.

Even if convincing the current global populace of such were possible at perfect efficiency, it would still take longer than we have. We pretty much are actually hosed.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Politics doesn't need to be PR or convincing individuals what to think. I would suggest that conceptualizing politics in those terms (advertising, marketing, public opinion polling) is capitalist social conditioning. It's the idea that people are individuals, separate from society, who are able to make rational decisions in a marketplace of ideas if they have the proper information and education.

But there are already lots of people thinking about and concerned about these issues, who are taking direct collective action. That collective action can be educational, but ideally aimed at long term social engagement rather than transactional short term consumer engagement.

But most effective is direct confrontation of capitalist profit, which entails shutting down production. That's why strikes have power. Its not about good will or positive PR. Pipeline blockades and shutdowns allow for non labour to do a similar thing, by restricting transportation and access to markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

My position is that there needs to be an absolute decline in energy and resource use. That can only happen by addressing production for commodity consumption which mean's confronting capitalism.

I am not against nuclear. My original point was that environmental movements should be judged primarily based on their opinion of capitalism, not on their opinion of nuclear power. The environmental crises are a result of capitalism. An anticapitalist, antinuclear environmentalist is more useful than a pro capitalist pro nuclear environmentalist. Ideally you can be anticapitalist pronuclear. But time and again the argument comes around to pro or anti nuclear, when the real issue is pro or anti capitalist.

e: re feasibility. It's not primarily about convincing people consumerism is bad. It's about building and using power to confront capitalist production and it's already happening. It's not a PR strategy

The Green Party of Canada is a pro-capitalist, anti-nuclear party.