Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apple’s transcription is good enough to know if it’s something you should pay attention to

which is basically just like your dentist trying to reschedule or something, though stuff like that is finally often over email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hobbesmaster posted:

apple’s transcription is good enough to know if it’s something you should pay attention to

which is basically just like your dentist trying to reschedule or something, though stuff like that is finally often over email

lol i can't get visual voicemail on my carrier, so i'd have to listen

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

all I need to know is if someone wants to sell me a car warranty, or if they want to lower my energy bill. Transcriptions are very good at detecting that. Everything else is a coin flip.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The_Franz posted:

when she had a kid, she had a full nursery built adjacent to her office and then proceeded to ban working from home because "look, i have a kid and i manage to come into the office! it's so easy!"

I thought it was they closed the on site daycare that the employees had

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mediaphage posted:

i never listen to a voicemail. i don’t think my carrier supports just disabling it entirely but i’m going to look into it

i ported to the "premium" provider in my nation and they don't support VVM by default. if you want it, you have to suffer through a live chat session, you can't just turn it on in the portal
they also send you a fake SMS telling you that you missed a call (purporting to be from the number that tried to call you)
of course you can't that "feature" or VM entirely
if you do receive a VM for some god-forsaken reason, you can't listen to it without setting up a PIN and recording a welcome message

absolutely bananas

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

i ported to the "premium" provider in my nation and they don't support VVM by default. if you want it, you have to suffer through a live chat session, you can't just turn it on in the portal
they also send you a fake SMS telling you that you missed a call (purporting to be from the number that tried to call you)
of course you can't that "feature" or VM entirely
if you do receive a VM for some god-forsaken reason, you can't listen to it without setting up a PIN and recording a welcome message

absolutely bananas

that is confrontationally bad design.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I do like how for centuries if you wanted to communicate with anybody at a distance you wrote them a letter, and then we had about 60 years (maybe 30 if you're talking internationally) where you had to talk to the person in real time, which was awful, and now we've settled back into sending letters as the default with the real-time thing reserved only for people you actually care about.

There are few things as aggravating as a boomer sending an email that says "give me a call, I have something I want to talk to you about."

my girlfriend's mother does this all the time, which i don't mind because family, but it would drive me insane if a work person did it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i stopped using facebook when marissa meyer did the kid thing because someone i knew and was somewhere between friend and acquaintance went on a rant about she didn’t love her kid like a real mother should because she had a nursery installed next to her office rather than staying at home with the child

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hobbesmaster posted:

my favorite are the voicemails that sound like they're text-to-speech voices reading versions of messages that sound like they were run through a spam filter

quote:

Sure T noon. / we have found some sus P see us act T would be under your name. So when you get this mess age kindly call back on our number that is XXX-XXX-XXXX.

the audible version of those alternate letter glyphs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

unless it's:

subject: mr watson come here. i want to see you.

body:

too real!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jesus WEP posted:

my girlfriend's mother does this all the time, which i don't mind because family, but it would drive me insane if a work person did it

i have a client that does this constantly.

and one who leaves me voicemail messages where they simply say "please give me a call"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my dad sometimes will send me an email and then immediately text me to let me know he sent me an email

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

my dad sometimes will send me an email and then immediately text me to let me know he sent me an email

i've done this a few times when the other person was expecting a giant email and it was somewhat time critical.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we've decided to address the confusion surrounding android update releases by creating significantly more

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

why is anyone confused about android updates when the answer in the vast majority of cases is “your phone isn’t getting any lol”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if you're stupid enough to run beta software on your telephone, you deserve to be confused

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, literally no one should care beyond the impact on the lifespan of the phone. and the article kind of calls that out, it is deliberately confusing to not make it a really dumb marketing point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mrk posted:

Screenshot? I see a couple of ads in my Google Now feed (same feed as you have on Pixels) on my Galaxy, but those ads have "Ad" prefixing the title so easy to know. They are targeted ads though, like an ad for EV leasing since I look up EVs often lol, or a product I've searched on Amazon etc.

If you have ever turned off "targeted ads" in any service you use connected to google then you will get random ads. You will be getting ads anyway in anything online, so no point turning targeted ads off because you will get random bollox that is nowhere near relevant to you potential interests anyway.

ads are good, actually, because sometimes they will show you things you like and want

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

ads are good, actually, because sometimes they will show you things you like and want

the youtube algorithm confuses the hell out of me, because last week they seemed to think that i had AIDS and would show me ads for HIV medication, and now they seem to think that i am some tactical security operator who wants to see long advertisements for anti-drone area denial systems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

part of that is the advertisers doing poor targeting.

from google’s pov targeting too broadly because you aren’t experienced enough is a feature, not a bug

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i have gotten a lot of ads for grammarly and lotion on videos for cooking and old object restoration, so I can only assume my adamant doubleclick and adwords blocking is confusing the poo poo out of the platform

oh and o'reilly auto parts (yow!) but those are on car care videos so that makes contextual sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

companies may also be targeting a geographic area or everyone watching a specific type of video so you’ll see some very weird stuff occasionally

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

The_Franz posted:

the youtube algorithm confuses the hell out of me, because last week they seemed to think that i had AIDS and would show me ads for HIV medication, and now they seem to think that i am some tactical security operator who wants to see long advertisements for anti-drone area denial systems

honestly im super into the ads for prep and other sti adjacent meds. i think its a big step in destigmatizing hiv

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I get ads for estrogen when that’s the opposite of what I need

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't see any ads

it's pretty great, tbh

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I get lots of ads for Grammarly, life insurance and terminal cancer drugs, I hope google isn't predicting something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's a good thing androids don't use any proprietary connectors like apple, imagine how many plugs and cables he'd need

bull3964 posted:

Yup, those are maximums.

I have a small gear pouch that's my charging go bag.

It has:
1 - 5a Anker Flow 6ft C-C
1 - Belkin C-microA
1 - Elecjet Apollo Ultra 10x 65w graphene battery pack
1 - Anker Nano II 65w
1 - Galaxy Watch Charger
1 - Fossil Group Watch Charger
1 - C - Female A adapter (the kind google ships with their phones)
1 - USB-C OnePlus Bullets

I'll have other stuff I'll bring if I'm taking a long trip (like my Anker 63w desktop charger) and I might throw my Anker dual 100w charger in the bag if I'm bringing my ROG Flow 13 somewhere and expect to game on it.

The C-A adapter is a good thing to bring with you because it can adapt a C charger (or even your phone in a pinch) to power a USB-A device like one of the watch chargers.

I felt the need to put together a bag like that after I had my heart attack because it was a PITA telling one of my friends what and where to look for to get me a charger and headphones so I didn't go crazy in the hospital. Now it's just convenient if I'm going somewhere overnight or something.

I also have so many goddamn Google 18w USB-C chargers from over the years that I keep one with a C-C cable in each car (along with an Aukey 30w PPS car charger that I almost never use https://www.aukey.com/products/aukey-metal-pd-car-charger-dual-usb-30w)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dual wielding android watches like liquid metal extensions of my wrists

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

that dude packs more chargers than pairs of underwear. bet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i have definitely packed more chargers than clothes on very short work trips

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/stadias-pivot-to-a-google-cloud-product-is-official/

I predict a Microsoft xbox 365 streaming platform powered by google stadia

No, the 360 was the second generation xbox. No, the 365 is not the 5th generation xbox, it's more like a sibling or cousin to the series x, which is the 4th generation. Yes, microsoft has dumb names for xbox consoles.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

what?

Microsoft shucks xboxes and puts them in racks to power their own game streaming platform. why would they switch to Google’s weird Linux back end?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

cheap nokia x10 still serving me well

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lmao

quote:

"In a program called 'Communicate with Care,' Google trains and directs employees to add an attorney, a privilege label, and a generic 'request' for counsel's advice to shield sensitive business communications, regardless of whether any legal advice is actually needed or sought.

lets see how well playing dumb games with the feds goes for google

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont remember the training saying that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

that's not really accurate

care to enlighten me?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

care to enlighten me?

edited, but the training i took didnt tell people to use attorney privilege/counsel requests/etc that way. i could be wrong ofc but im pretty sure id remember something that blatantly dumb. of course i have no idea about how requests are actually used

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

maybe you just weren't high level enough to get the real training

quote:

The DOJ provided examples of emails sent by Google employees of various ranks, up to the CEO. "This practice of portraying ordinary business communications as privileged is followed at Google's highest levels," the DOJ said.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai emailed YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki in January 2018 about an upcoming press story. "Although the email was directed to a non-attorney (Susan Wojcicki) about a non-legal press issue, Mr. Pichai wrote at the top 'Attorney Client Privileged' and 'Kent pls advice.' Kent Walker, a Google Senior Vice President and General Counsel (now Google's Chief Legal Officer), apparently never replied to the email thread. This email was initially withheld by Google and only deprivileged after Plaintiffs challenged," the DOJ wrote. (Pichai is now the CEO of both Google and its owner, Alphabet.)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Kent pls advice

Kent pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
every company of a certain size does this. they tell you never to discuss anything potentially compromising over email, and if you’re talking about something that might end up bad CC lawyers and rubber stamp it with privileged and confidential.