Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I bet I'm going to be the absolute last Q1 person to get the email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sab669 posted:

He probably did reserve it as quickly as could, but still ostensibly pre-order / reservation orders should be getting theirs long before anyone just buying one today I'd imagine. So if he still doesn't have a specific ship date or anything concrete then :shrug:

But yea I did hear about GabeN playing santa clause and handing out decks in Seattle so I dunno how they determine who gets theirs and when, I gues.

I think you misunderstand how they're selling them.

You have to reserve a Deck, and then you're given a timeframe of when you can purchase it. Like, I reserved a Deck within five minutes of when they went up last year and was given the first timeframe spot, and today I got my email to complete the purchase. Your friend has likely only given Valve $5 for a reservation-- he hasn't purchased something in full and has to wait six months.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm having Steam controller config issues again. The Saboteur worked fine with a gamepad when I launched it from EA's launcher, but when I ran it through Steam suddenly the triggers would act as if there as an additional input. Right trigger moves the camera to the right, left trigger to the left (on top of what the buttons are supposed to do).

I checked the controller config, and it's the default so idk where the issue is coming from, but Steam is clearly adding inputs.

seems to be an issue with the game

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't buy Glover, especially because it'll just be the ROM with a stolen copy of UltraHLE or some poo poo, but also because it's Glover

https://twitter.com/StoodUpOtomo/status/1500859499833270275

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

On the steam forums, you can use points to give medals to shitposts.

Has the steam community decided on which of them is the de facto medal for "eat poo poo and die"?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The 4800 point one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't buy Glover, especially because it'll just be the ROM with a stolen copy of UltraHLE or some poo poo, but also because it's Glover

https://twitter.com/StoodUpOtomo/status/1500859499833270275

I don't know if I'm misreading the tweets, but apparently the problem is that they fixed some bugs and aren't releasing the original bugged version? I don't get what the issue is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't know if I'm misreading the tweets, but apparently the problem is that they fixed some bugs and aren't releasing the original bugged version? I don't get what the issue is.

Well they aren't "persevering" things if it's not the original, they steal emulators and just send those to the steam depot and send takedowns to sites hosting prototypes of their games.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Can't the "preservationists" just download the N64 rom or original PC iso file somewhere? I'm surprised they haven't already.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SirSamVimes posted:

I think that the people tweeting a people who preserve old roms. So they take a historian approach to keeping old things intact. These people buy the rights, use their preservation work to get the roms, then hack them, release them and file takedown notices on the preservers.
Something like that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Joe Man posted:

Can't the "preservationists" just download the N64 rom or original PC iso file somewhere? I'm surprised they haven't already.

Part of their business model is making sure that's not possible

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think that the people tweeting a people who preserve old roms. So they take a historian approach to keeping old things intact. These people buy the rights, use their preservation work to get the roms, then hack them, release them and file takedown notices on the preservers.
Something like that.

https://twitter.com/Spikestuff/status/1073463526574850048

Yeah they're just downloading ISOs from emuparadise, using a resource editor to add an icon to a (license-breaking) copy of pcsx-r and making GBS threads it out on Steam.

oh also

https://twitter.com/Pikointeractive/status/1471465237924753416

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
selling my GLOVER NFT for millions

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone else getting Steam Cloud errors all of the sudden? I have to resync manually for some reason with every game that supports cloud saves....

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's... here!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

$10 for 991 things (games, ttrpg)

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Turns out it's not anymore!!!!!!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The 7th Guest posted:

Huh. I opened the page, then refreshed it and now I get a 404.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anno posted:

They just took it down, a couple of minutes after being up. Clearly, something wasn't ready but someone jumped the gun and hit the publish button before they should.

Edit: oh, there it is:
https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/1501001593944096770

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anno posted:

Its back again. Think they had to add that bit about them not being steam activatable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you get the Ukraine bundle the best thing in there is Ynglet. It's a platformer without platforms and it's amazing.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Sick bundle. Good lord so much game for 10 bucks and I only scrolled down like the first 10 lines or so.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you get the Ukraine bundle the best thing in there is Ynglet. It's a platformer without platforms and it's amazing.

I see your Ynglet and raise you ZeroRanger, the greatest shmup - controls well, visually stunning and easy to read, has a great sense of progression, and a very interesting story

also you can swordfight or gurren lagannfight

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I bought the Ukraine bundle but I've never used itch before. When I open the app it doesnt show me owning any of the games :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The huge bundles are handled special in that they don't show in your library immediately in the app, i think you have to do... something... on the website first

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

You need to claim each game individually in the bundle download page.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dr.acula posted:

I bought the Ukraine bundle but I've never used itch before. When I open the app it doesnt show me owning any of the games :confused:

You need to go to https://itch.io/my-purchases/bundles and add specific games to your library.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

dr.acula posted:

You have to add them from your download link because they don't want to swamp your library with six gorillion games.

You can use https://randombundlegame.com/ to make things easier

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Well I guess that's one way to do it, thanks!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

dr.acula posted:

Since there are so many games, they purposely made it so you had to manually add games you want from the bundle's download page to avoid clutter - this happened in the previous massive bundles. I believe you can browse your purchased bundle through the app itself.

For previous bundles, a kind person (goon, I think?) made https://randombundlegame.com/ which can randomly pick games, help you browse and search via tags, genre, name, etc, and so far it looks like it works for this one too!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Artelier posted:

I see your Ynglet and raise you ZeroRanger, the greatest shmup - controls well, visually stunning and easy to read, has a great sense of progression, and a very interesting story

also you can swordfight or gurren lagannfight

i'm a big fan of Minit

thanks to a very cursed sword you find early on, you die and awaken at home every sixty seconds. you wander 'round a 2D map learning as much as you can in that time to guide your next go-round - talking to NPCs, finding keys & notes to open other areas, etc - in an attempt to ditch the sword & break the curse

if you're ok with the monochrome aesthetic (personally I liked it) it's a good fun romp for a few hours

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

crossposting. here's a list of good games in the bundle to get you started!

Action
Bleed 1 & 2 - Some of the most Treasure-like fun you'll find on PC, blistering jumpy shmupy
Minit - an incredible compression of the open world adventure into a tiny space, where you have only 60 seconds to accomplish something every run
SuperHOT - the much memed shooter, it's still good
Xenogunner - Another Treasure-style romp, I'd say this one plays kind of like Alien Soldier
ZeroRanger - one of the highest rated indie shmups in the last decade

Arcade/Score Chaser
FutureGrind - Stunt game with you're a unicycle grinding on sky rails
Super Hexagon - intensely difficult/stressful music game where you evade walls in a huge zooming out level

ARPG
CrossCode - what if Ys was set in a fictional MMO and your protagonist's silence has actual lore reasons?? note: lots of puzzles in the dungeons
Jotun - Hack & slashy with huge hand-drawn well-animated bosses
Lenna's Inception - a Zelda-like with a randomly generated world, it's pretty cool and has an optional pacifist route

Adventure
Alone With You - gamepad-controlled point and click adventure where you explore a dead space colony and build relationships with different hologram AIs
Don't Escape: 4 Days to Escape - post-apoc point and click where each action matters as you try to survive each day
Lucifer Within Us - point n click detective game that should appeal to fans of pointing out contradictions, with an additional cyber-religion layer on top that informs the mechanics
Pendula Swing - isometric point n click adventure game set in a fantasy version of the roaring 20s. you're a former adventurer trying to get their ax back
Rusty Lake Hotel - strange and surreal first person point n' click game from a long-time Flash developer. somewhere inbetween a conventional adventure and escape room
The White Door - more recent game by the Rusty Lake dev

Metroidvania
Forma8 - minimalist game where you're a little probe on an alien planet
Sundered - by the producers of Jotun, a game somewhere inbetween Metroidvania and Roguelite. you do get new abilities though it's quite linear, but each of the regions in the game is randomly regenerated when you die.
Super Win the Game - older non-combat Metroidvania with small similarities to zelda 2 (mostly superficial though)

Multiplayer
Crossniq+ - versus match puzzler with Dreamcast era aesthetic
Towerfall - Maddy's big game prior to Celeste

Platformer
A Hole New World - switch between the regular world and a literal upside-down world via pits as you progress
Binky's Trash Service - one of my top 15 from 2021, a tiny little platformer where you jump around cleaning up trashcans in varied open levels
Celeste - you might have heard of this one already
Double Cross - grapple hooky platformer with a megaman-style level section and cute art
Grapple Force Rena - another grapply platformer, by the Freedom Planet publisher, with similar 16bit art and music. combat is a tiny bit mischief makers.
They Bleed Pixels - a difficult platformer notable for allowing you to create your own checkpoints (a feature that would later by mimicked by Ori & the Blind Forest)
Toree 3D 1 & 2 - Fun short little 3D platformers that have mild creepypasta elements
Ynglet - One of Nifflas' best games since Knytt Stories, an incredibly chill wormy anti-platformer where you dive between safe zones, with an awesome aesthetic and good vibes music

Puzzle
A Good Snowman is Hard to Build - great short puzzle game by Draknek about... well, it's in the title
Baba is You - help your new best friend win every level by pushing and pulling programming logic tiles ala sokoban
Cosmic Express - another Draknek puzzler with dogs on trains
Golf Peaks - a minigolf game with a hand of cards you play to instruct the ball what to do
Elephantasy - Tile-based movement open world puzzler, reminds me of Pocket Kingdom
Pipe Push Paradise - open world combination of block pushing and pipe dreams, by the future dev of Bonfire Peaks (also see Hiding Spot in this bundle!)

Roguelite
Gonner - intense action platformer roguelite
Not the Robots - What if Pacman ate furniture instead of pellets

Story
A Short Hike - wander around a small mountain region helping people out and making the trek up to the peak. cozy as gently caress
Alt Frequencies - a time loop game where you alter the timeline by sending information into radio stations
Backbone - interesting sci-fi/noir story about classism, bear in mind the game takes a serious sci-fi/body horror turn in the back half. a lot of people hated that, though I thought it worked well.
Bury Me, My Love - try to help your partner reach safety over phone messaging, was a well reviewed game on mobile
INMOST - a spooky platformer with striking monochrome aesthetic, has platforming similar to Another World, also three protagonists that play completely differently (one puzzle-oriented, one action, one adventure)
Neon Struct - short stealth game definitely inspired by imm-sims but solely focused on stealth in this case
Figment - weird combination of story/action game/puzzler. it doesn't always work and bosses have musical numbers??? but it's interesting.
Sagebrush - Explore the aftermath of a Jonestown-esque cult
Wandersong - you sing in different colors to solve puzzles, but really this is a story game with a lot of introspection and great character moments

Misc
A Dance of Fire & Ice - One-button rhythm game by the future dev of Rhythm Doctor
Backspace Bouken - a dungeon crawler with typing-based combat!
Cloud Gardens - civilization's over, let's grow some fuckin plants
Glittermitten Grove - it's Frog Fractions 2, but some people like the opening game more than the actual hidden game underneath
Hidden Folks - a Where's Waldo esque game with cute animations and fun scenes
Lost Art of Innkeeping - might not look like much (using RPG Maker assets) but it's a neat little inn management story game that'll run you only 4-ish hours
Shutter Stroll - Proteus-style walky sim that's solely about taking pictures of randomly made areas

...now for games I haven't played but look interesting (some from past bundles, some new):

1993 Space Machine, Antecrypt, Attraction Force, Batbarian, Beglitched, Butterflies Ep 1 & 2, Button City, Cardful Planning, Curious Expedition, Danger Scavenger, Delver, Demonizer, Desolate Roads, Eatvolve, El Gancho, Fatum Betula, Fostering Apocalypse, Frick Inc, Hack Grid, Hero Hours Contract, Highway Blossoms, HopLegs, Hypnagogia, Hyperspace Dogfights, Imaginaria, inbento, Interstellaria, Intra-System: Trust Issues, Kill the Superweapon, Klang 2, Long Gone Days, Luna, Magnibox, Micro Dash, Midnight Scenes, Murder at the Cat Show, Nauticrawl, Nebs n Debs, Nina Aquila, Ossuary, Operation Steel, Panic Factory, Pig Eat Ball, PolyRoll, Redd's Runaway, Regina & Mac, Remniscence in the Night, Resynth, Rip Them Off, RITE, Sarawak, Schildmaid MX, Sector 781, Shut In, Solas 128, Spooky Waltz, Stellar Interface, Summer in Mara, Summoner's Mess, Super Mumtaz Bros, Swim Out, Taimumari, Tenderfoot Tactics, The Lost Night, The Manse on Soracca, The Wratch's Den, Trainbow, Ultra Hat Dimension, Volk-san: Egg&Catch, Vulture, Wand Wars, Warpthrough, We Should Talk, Welcome to Elk, Zombusters

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 8, 2022

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

The 7th Guest posted:

Curious Expedition

Curious Expedition has a multiplayer / pseudo MMO mode called Rivals in it that the sequel doesn't (yet), it's really great and worth playing.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Is there a name for the genre of these ps1-esque games that makes it easier to find them?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dr.acula posted:

Is there a name for the genre of these ps1-esque games that makes it easier to find them?
i will say that Fatum Betula and Hypnagogia are both full versions of former Haunted PS1 Demo Disc prototypes, and Butterflies is clearly inspired by Jet Set Radio, which is Dreamcast but still around that era (same with CROSSNIQ+)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ciaphas posted:

i've been looking out a while for other games similar to Forager. the upcoming Nova Islands seems to fit the bill; Dysmantle would have too if it weren't so plodding

anyone have any other suggestions?
I felt the demo for Nova Islands didn't noticeably change anything I didn't like about Forager while making some things worse in order to have you automate it, but the automation was incredibly bare bones to the degree that your starting limit of robots wasn't even adequate to smelt the resources used to make them. By the end of the demo I had several islands 'automated' but was still heavily resource starved because the bots can like pick things up, mine a thing, or feed machines - which at a limit of three meant my base was a bot punching trees, a bot picking up wood, and another bot doing it's best to shove fuel and ore into a bank of smelters while I hosed around waiting for enough to unlock another island so I could progress.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

I felt the demo for Nova Islands didn't noticeably change anything I didn't like about Forager while making some things worse in order to have you automate it, but the automation was incredibly bare bones to the degree that your starting limit of robots wasn't even adequate to smelt the resources used to make them. By the end of the demo I had several islands 'automated' but was still heavily resource starved because the bots can like pick things up, mine a thing, or feed machines - which at a limit of three meant my base was a bot punching trees, a bot picking up wood, and another bot doing it's best to shove fuel and ore into a bank of smelters while I hosed around waiting for enough to unlock another island so I could progress.

well that stinks :( seems like very little else has tried to step into forager's particular shoes

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone else getting Steam Cloud errors all of the sudden? I have to resync manually for some reason with every game that supports cloud saves....

Latest Steam client added the status for cloud saves and the possibility to manually retry failed synchronizations.
I have a feeling that it simply just shows what was hidden before, but you just didn't know there were sync issues.

I had a few games with a warning (don't keep a lot installed) and all of them got fixed by clicking the resync button.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fart of Presto posted:

Latest Steam client added the status for cloud saves and the possibility to manually retry failed synchronizations.
I have a feeling that it simply just shows what was hidden before, but you just didn't know there were sync issues.

I had a few games with a warning (don't keep a lot installed) and all of them got fixed by clicking the resync button.

Yeah it's kinda weird and almost seems like it created those problems since that didn't really happen before, and if it did happen and just not display it then it fixed itself anyways.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

That bundle is making me think about how Valve hasn't suspended services in Russia like some other tech companies have. Considering there are Russian users that are review bombing games because the devs release a statement of support, I have to think pulling the plug will make the company a bunch of enemies for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Elex 2: I hate the cargo culted stuff they added to Elex, but I have to say…

I don't know how they do it, but the settlements just feel so right.