Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It's really annoying when you look on youtube for help with a difficult boss, and they tell you to stay far back and cast your best spells. If I create a spell caster in the future, i'll be sure to remember that brilliant strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol i actually got dizzy fighting swarms of eagles in the late game area because the camera is just flying all over the place if you lock on.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Malenia down. What a loving unfun boss lol.

VV yeah that area was very well done

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 8, 2022

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
That Windmill Village filled with flowers and dancing old ladies is the most unsettling thing I've ever seen in a soulsborne game. Unironically gave me the willies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are bosses that are objectively far worse and more bullshit, but I'm annoyed about Rykard. Really didn't need Yhorm the Giant round 2, and I especially didn't need him to be two phases. I get why they want to do these fights, it's more interesting mechanically to make the player mix up their experience instead of sticking with the bread-and-butter of their build and it's a pretty cinematic and flashy moment, but it's just so long for what it is. At least OG Yhorm was a short fight.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Arist posted:

There are bosses that are objectively far worse and more bullshit, but I'm annoyed about Rykard. Really didn't need Yhorm the Giant round 2, and I especially didn't need him to be two phases. I get why they want to do these fights, it's more interesting mechanically to make the player mix up their experience instead of sticking with the bread-and-butter of their build and it's decently cinematic and flashy, but it's just so long for what it is. At least OG Yhorm was a short fight.

i actually liked it because it was a nice break from fighting spastic flippy guys

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

i actually liked it because it was a nice break from fighting spastic flippy guys

Same. I like a good Souls gimmick boss

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arist posted:

There are bosses that are objectively far worse and more bullshit, but I'm annoyed about Rykard. Really didn't need Yhorm the Giant round 2, and I especially didn't need him to be two phases. I get why they want to do these fights, it's more interesting mechanically to make the player mix up their experience instead of sticking with the bread-and-butter of their build and it's decently cinematic and flashy, but it's just so long for what it is. At least OG Yhorm was a short fight.

Mimic Tear trivializes this one especially because he too gets the appropriate weapon with its affiliated abilities. I imagine summoning help would also get it, if they have it equipped? He gets royally hosed with that much damage coming at him. I enjoyed him tbh, even sans Mimic. Skull storm was annoying tho.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arist posted:

There are bosses that are objectively far worse and more bullshit, but I'm annoyed about Rykard. Really didn't need Yhorm the Giant round 2, and I especially didn't need him to be two phases. I get why they want to do these fights, it's more interesting mechanically to make the player mix up their experience instead of sticking with the bread-and-butter of their build and it's a pretty cinematic and flashy moment, but it's just so long for what it is. At least OG Yhorm was a short fight.

The wierd thing for me was underestimating the range on the spear, it has massive range but my spacing sense kept getting me staggered by lava

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also his design is really cool and disgusting

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dandywalken posted:

Mimic Tear trivializes this one especially because he too gets the appropriate weapon with its affiliated abilities. I imagine summoning help would also get it, if they have it equipped? He gets royally hosed with that much damage coming at him.

Yep, it trivialized it. Fewest tries I'd needed for a shardbearer by a mile.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It also had some degree of challenge to it which was nice, the past ones have been trivial once you figure out what to do.

e: unless you use mimic tear I guess, that hadn't occurred to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Also his design is really cool and disgusting

It felt like a Nioh boss honestly

That's not even a complaint

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Snakey has a real easy cheese. Level up that spear you're forced to pick up when you enter, stand under him and mash the spear special. Put on the fire talisman if the lava bothers you

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

Sorry, this is not a cowardly Epee weapon which allows me to hide behind a greatshield while inflicting bleed safely on my foes.

Are you talking about my Rogier's Rapier +11

If I hid behind my +40 bleed shield with that am I still a coward?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly the main annoying part of it is just the skulls, which are an eternity where you don't get to do damage

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Malenia has one move that makes her bullshit tbh. Most of her fight is fine, and fun. But gently caress, that move.

Wah.

Waahh. Im crying like a baby now, such is its power. Waaaah.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Speculation about late-game plot stuff and what the DLCs are likely to be,

So it seems like the Two Fingers are the Heligtree and the Erdtree, yeah? But we're actually down to One Finger, because the Heligtree is withered. Miquella at some point got the idea of trying to merge with the Heligtree or be reborn through it and they entered a rebirth within its roots, but someone (death?) came through and stole their fetal/larval form out of the tree, and this either killed the tree or the same person also killed the tree while they were there. (I forget where this all came from - I think dialog with the NPC who sells boss weapons after killing Malenia?). This means that someone out there likely holds the power of a demigod on top of whatever else they can do. So one DLC is likely going to be about facing off against Death and possibly a Death-corrupted Miquella. Or maybe it wasn't Death and it was someone else :shrug:

Another DLC is almost guaranteed to be set in a new region north of Caelid because there is no way they will let the game world's map stop that short of being an actual ring. This will take place squarely between the Dragonbarrows and the Mountaintops of the Giants so I'm calling it now that it will largely be about some kind of war between dragons and giants, likely only tangentially related to the actual plot of Elden Ring.

And a third DLC I'm pretty sure will have something to do with the Moon, like maybe even going to the moon. It seems like the moon was in general played up as a big presence but then doesn't really go anywhere

Final best-possible-ending ending is likely to be something about restoring the Heligtree and therefore restoring the ordered balance of life and death

e: also can someone spoil for me what exactly a Tarnished is and how they're different from a regular Human, other than seeing the grace and... respawning(?) when they die?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 8, 2022

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Since every youtuber just makes the video about the same 5 weapons it would be great if there was a resource out there with pros/cons on each weapon.

Pretty sure cool colors, and DOES IT BLEED? are the only req. for youtubers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

Excuse me, it's not Yhorm round 2. It's Storm King round 3 :colbert:

96 spacejam posted:

Since every youtuber just makes the video about the same 5 weapons it would be great if there was a resource out there with pros/cons on each weapon.

Pretty sure cool colors, and DOES IT BLEED? are the only req. for youtubers.

FightinCowboy looks like he's trying to put out build videos that go beyond "use bleed" or "use magic." His Strength build video goes over several options for good Strength weapons, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuB5zHZ0XVQ

Note that this does have some spoilers because he talks about where to find things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also related to that Strength build video, I absolutely love that there's a sacred seal that scales well with Strength and that there are a bunch of low Faith requirement incantations that are all beast-themed or about throwing rocks, and they're boosted by that seal, too. It rules that basically any Strength build can have a bunch of cool special attacks where you just pick up and fling a rock with extremely minimal Faith investment.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

poe meater posted:

I saw my friend's achievements popup and apparently he beat margit, godrick, and then (secret optional boss) mohg lol. I have no idea how he did that!

There are two versions of Mohg, the one he killed was probably the one in the capital's sewers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

There are some reasonable strength things you can do early. One fun one is the great epee, which can be acquired immediately and will eventually hit A scaling with a heavy infusion. It is a bigass thrusting sword with a good amount of stagger, and a baller running R2. I find it a little more fun to use than the warhammers, which have kind of a lacking moveset.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
So what's the story significance of the detour where you kill maliketh for his death rune?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

After you clear out the Church of Irith from NPC activity, a scarab beetle with a white ball appears inside the church. If you kill it, there's no loot. Anyone know anything about this? It's got me wondering if there are a series of these that you have to find and take out before you get something good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There are two versions of Mohg, the one he killed was probably the one in the capital's sewers.

I think you can actually get to the other Mohg more quickly, although he's also significantly tougher.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, Borealis is the first dragon in the game that felt like it wanted to kill you. Even the Lichdragon had the same easy movesets that let you just chop wings, feet, and dick pretty safely. This fuckin dragon has 4 different deadly reposition moves, some that require horseriding just to catch up. That took like 12 tries with me and mimic... and it's got the weakest reward of any dragon, just a single heart lol.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DeathChicken posted:

Snakey has a real easy cheese. Level up that spear you're forced to pick up when you enter, stand under him and mash the spear special. Put on the fire talisman if the lava bothers you

You don't even have to level it up. None of his poo poo can hit you if you're all up on him so just stand there on him and go to town.

I just fought fire giant for the first time. I did not like watching his second phase transition. Gross.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Wow, Borealis is the first dragon in the game that felt like it wanted to kill you. Even the Lichdragon had the same easy movesets that let you just chop wings, feet, and dick pretty safely. This fuckin dragon has 4 different deadly reposition moves, some that require horseriding just to catch up. That took like 12 tries with me and mimic... and it's got the weakest reward of any dragon, just a single heart lol.

It also unlocks another skill at the dragon cathedral.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Excuse me, it's not Yhorm round 2. It's Storm King round 3 :colbert:

FightinCowboy looks like he's trying to put out build videos that go beyond "use bleed" or "use magic." His Strength build video goes over several options for good Strength weapons, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuB5zHZ0XVQ

Note that this does have some spoilers because he talks about where to find things.

So much better than literally every other video.

Side note, where the flying gently caress is the cave with the two bosses, one has a fail and the other a hammer (maybe?). You enter and it's two life bars, same name but with the weapon in ( ) after. I've been looking at the interactive map, and jumping from place to place with no luck.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've given the Twin Maiden Husks so many ball bearings, but if I go to "Bell Bearing Shop 2", the only option I have is "Patches Bell Bearing". Do I need to buy out that whole inventory before I get access to the half dozen other BBs I've given them?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Sab669 posted:

I've given the Twin Maiden Husks so many ball bearings, but if I go to "Bell Bearing Shop 2", the only option I have is "Patches Bell Bearing". Do I need to buy out that whole inventory before I get access to the half dozen other BBs I've given them?

Only bell bearings from NPC deaths go into those, the others add to the main shop

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Some bearings just add an item or two to their regular inventory.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Ball bearing stop 1 and 2 are for specific NPC inventories, the generic material ball bearings fill their main Inventory

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sab669 posted:

Nah, it just categorizes them in a kind of arbitrary way. The other bearings you've given them should have added items to either the original list or given you more options in Bell Bearing Shop 1, buying out the stock of a specific merchant doesn't increase the variety of their wares or anything like that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sab669 posted:

this fucker killed patches

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

:evergaol:

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
The frenzy pyros are so much fun in PVP, and look so cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igvKip8PX40

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I FULLY expected him to be all, "Please spare me!! ...Ha ha idiot, SURPRISE ATTACK"

Also my new flail is a whole rear end planetary system. Game just keeps impressing me more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im still kind of bummed the final boss is in ash lake v2. Without as much understanding of the trees importance or what were seeing when we see a bunch its not the same impact