Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Scandalous posted:

On behalf of Royal Kislev Tourism Board and under watchful eye of Akshina Vocational Dissident Reeducation Programme I invite you visit glorious nation of Kislev. Our motto: Is Fine.

Visitors to Kislev encouraged through appropriate force to start tour in Kislev City, home of stunning Bokha Palace and secret Evelina Bebchuk Cloning Facility. Currently Bokha Palace largely unoccupied as Tzarina Katarin taken entire contingent Tzar Guard and Ice Guard on journey through glowing hell portal now conveniently located in walking distance of recently re-re-re-built city walls. Gossipy Patriarchs whisper treason, suggest leaving capital undefended during period of national crisis is sign of weak and foolish leader. Tzarina Katarin graciously offer Patriarchs opportunity to travel through glowing hell portal to realm of poo poo and snot themselves, spend four turns in bath when finished, see how like it. Few takers.

Kislev famed throughout Old World for snow but also boast miles of beautiful coastline. Here visitors from further north soak in rays on sunny beaches of Castle Alexandronov, recently rebuilt after terrible small-dick ex of Tzarina Katarin burn down in fit of pique. Castle Alexandronov and rest of Troll Country recently return to bosom of greater Kislev when greasy idiot Kostaltyn come sneaking back into Bokha Palace in middle of night, dump deeds to province on Tzarina's desk and start squatting in attic after losing popularity contest. Tzarina Katarin not asked if she want burning toxic oblast full of marauders and portals to turd dimension, did not have say in matter, scream at Kostaltyn but lank hair imbecile say 'no backsies' and run away. Now economy in shitter due to disbanded lords sitting on substitute bench triple-dipping salaries and useless churches everywhere despite Tzarina Katarin smashing big red button marked INVOKE DAZH on cooldown every twenty turn.

Prior to ignominious return to Ice Court with tail between legs Kostaltyn get smooch from crab lady and now have thing about shirtless dwarfs and putting things up nose, hands out pamphlets inviting to 'Sweat Night at Bear Cave'. No longer allowed unsupervised with Evelina Bebchuks.

While both Kislev people and Kislev food consistently ranked tolerable-to-good according to recent survey conducted by Akshina Bureau of Opinion Polling and Thumb Severing, recent incidents of sudden and severe depopulation mean Royal Kislev Tourism Board like to take opportunity remind visitors not confuse the two.

Here giant red screaming beast showing multiple large forces of chittering rat persons famed nightlife of Novchozy by smashing open walls with flaming axes and letting verminous hordes flood through, much to consternation of local Ataman whose defiant last words "You must be loving kidding me" now adorned newly rebuilt gate, sadly since destroyed by second wave with huge pestilent catapult devices who enslave residents and burn down again. Kislev is honoured to be melting pot for numerous cultures to meet and bond over shared interests like slaughter and pillage.

Even death no barrier to charms of Kislev! Here busloads of tourists from Sylvania receive customary Kislev welcome from stern woman on giant bear, having travelled long distance unimpeded over lands of their enemies just to visit bland featureless town of Igerov. Kislevites not vitalist, our nation welcome all with pockets full of gold to be looted from freshly re-interred corpses.

Many tourists flowing into Kislev lately from soft decadent Empire, desperate to see charms of superior nation and also flee burning, ogre-ridden husk of former country. Some holdouts remain, mostly sending untrained spearmen levies at each other in middle of toxic swamps and all dying immediately. Is different culture, not Kislevite place to judge.

Kislev formerly have embassy from elves of Laurelorn, enjoy cordial relations with weird tree kissing ponces. Suddenly start getting REALLY keen for Kislev to join military alliance and for Tzarina to "invest" thousands of gold in upgrading outpost in their big compensatory tree before go very, very quiet. Now when Tzarina pick up Elf Hotline nothing but heavy breathing and giggling on other end, so not much change really come think of it.

Similarly visitors from northerly dwarf kingdom Kraka Drak vanishingly rare. Previously Tzarina Katarin run cultural exchange program for try help dwarfs deal with insane Chaos corruption preventing dwarfs bumping uglies and growing settlements, but sadly now ended after Dwarf King Cromson keep sailing into sea on pleasure cruise and letting home get blown up by shambling green stinkmen with skull grenades.

Recently weird old man following Tzarina around with noisy book say Tzar Boris still alive inside giant crystal prison at Frozen Falls. Tzarina ask him to speak up, cannot hear over cataclysmic devastation occuring around clock at all times day and night, will get around to it when get five loving minutes and anyway, father stuck in ice chunk for years already, little longer not make difference.

In conclusion please visit land of Kislev, bring money and also gun if can use, thank you

I legit laughed the whole time while reading this, 10/10, amazing comedy.

Edit: Quoting the whole thing due to this lovely page snipe, don't miss this seriously great post!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is essentially the Kislev experience in all its glorious bullshit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scandalous posted:

In conclusion please visit land of Kislev, bring money and also gun if can use, thank you
Jesus christ I'm dying. My wife doesnt understand why I've turned red from laughing so hard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scandalous posted:

Recently weird old man following Tzarina around with noisy book say Tzar Boris still alive inside giant crystal prison at Frozen Falls.

“Tzarina, darling, get me out of this wack-rear end crystal prison”

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Put almost 70 hours in. The soul race isn't too bad now that I've figured out how the realms work, but once the combined map is out I'll never touch the soul race mechanics again. It was a nice try at something new, but I prefer the sandbox.

I'm excited to build outposts on the IE map and construct some Rogue Army-level abominations to roll around the world with, some real "carnosaur and ratling gun" BS. I assume this is what you're supposed to do to fill out the mono-god Chaos rosters, except I think it's currently bugged for some things. I tried as Tzeench to recruit Chaos Warriors from a neighboring group but could only get T1 marauders for some reason, so clearly there's stuff that needs to be fixed. Ogres would've been cooler anyway.

Also I think CA being quiet is fine. Silence isn't an indicator of laziness and noise doesn't always mean productivity. Hell, just look at what happened to Cyberpunk.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

HoboTech posted:

I'm excited to build outposts on the IE map and construct some Rogue Army-level abominations to roll around the world with, some real "carnosaur and ratling gun" BS. I assume this is what you're supposed to do to fill out the mono-god Chaos rosters, except I think it's currently bugged for some things. I tried as Tzeench to recruit Chaos Warriors from a neighboring group but could only get T1 marauders for some reason, so clearly there's stuff that needs to be fixed. Ogres would've been cooler anyway.

Theres a known bug with Chaos warriors not offering warriors. You can still get Chosen, Chaos Knights, etc, once they get high enough and you have a level 3 outpost.

Also it's 4 allied units per army, not 4 allied units per ally. So if you have two military allies you want to recruit from you still only get 4 slots for them, unless there's a mod eventually to remove/change the cap (which I assume there will be)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
So just play as High Elves and never build a military building ever

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Kislev:

"Behold glorious generals the Boyars who get job through persistence and friend's tragic potato accident. Weilds two of axes borrowed from brother in law but was taught wrong, as a joke. Will be promised bear for promotion but probably be awarded at funeral. Well respected and feared by chaos legions due to tendency to get caught in soul grinders leg joint causing discomfort and increased maintenance cycles."

"Our Kossars represent superior Kislev versatility in combat. Unlike Empire soldiers our host made up of hybrid infantry, is good at shooting arrow but also good at dying gloriously for the motherland. Pay men in potato and have good job security, as struggling economy cannot afford to maintain better unit. Keep telling finance minister that nation cannot be sustained simply selling empty barrel back and forth between two Atatamans. "

"At bleeding edge of Kislevite technology is advanced Strelsi rifle, is good rifle with built in axe well suited for digging graves for half frozen Strelsi corpses who get run over by ogre. Now and then will cut down a Chaos warrior before his 99 brothers proceed to tear down Praag gate for the fifth time this winter. "

"Kislev scientists hard at work for glorious motherland and present Tzarina with excellent projects. They tell her they use special river rocks, can double income of trade good producing buildings. Tzarina asks how much ducats lumber industry make last month, trade minister says zero but we can double that by next year. Tzarina ask what else we got, Ivan says he forgot to bring notes, left them in Erengrad right before got smashed by vikings, such is life. "

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Kislev campaign really is lore appropriate as you run around trying to hold back the various streams of chaos flavoured bullshit from the north while the empire bumbles around war-deccing on each other

My completed Kislev campaign was one long AAAAAAAAAA

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How much would it help a kislev campaign if you had a bunch of stacked level 1 atamans saved from a previous run with the +growth/income/control/-corruption traits?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
They're nice but they're still contingent on having 2 provinces. This isn't as bad for Katarina since Kislev itself counts as a province already but Kostaltyn and Boris are another story.

Campaigns that don't give you a major settlement to start feel so much harder. You're kneecapped economically (and defensively) and the legendary lord themselves seldom have things that make up for this. Boris at least gets buffs to settling in ruined settlements but by the time you get it skaven will have grabbed up those ruins already.

And Kostaltyn is so difficult compared to Katarina, I don't know how you're supposed to get anywhere. Gave up on round 50 because I just couldn't expand or keep up with the follower race.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
But you can recruit atamans as lords, right? Couldn't you have an ataman garrisoned in kislev as well as an ataman from the screen?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
That was a great post Scandalous. Still chuckling.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

They're nice but they're still contingent on having 2 provinces. This isn't as bad for Katarina since Kislev itself counts as a province already but Kostaltyn and Boris are another story.

Campaigns that don't give you a major settlement to start feel so much harder. You're kneecapped economically (and defensively) and the legendary lord themselves seldom have things that make up for this. Boris at least gets buffs to settling in ruined settlements but by the time you get it skaven will have grabbed up those ruins already.

And Kostaltyn is so difficult compared to Katarina, I don't know how you're supposed to get anywhere. Gave up on round 50 because I just couldn't expand or keep up with the follower race.

You go take Praag

Actually it’s Hellpit, then Praag. Hellpit’s tough but doable. Get magic asap.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 7, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Been playing a Slaanesh campaign, with Marks of Slaanesh giving you sight over enemy armies.

Answer is when the portals starts spitting out daemon armies, AI armies change their priority to closing the portals. I saw the Welves on the map cross two regions to close a portal that wasn't affecting them at all.
Huh. Well, fair enough then. Wish they would do it earlier. Also, Kraka Drak got eaten while I was distracted. Sorry Dwarf Bros.

Boris is back online with a lovely stack I need to retrain as soon as I get a second guarding that path and Scrag, that gently caress, ate half the Empire so I'm conquering it all and giving it back to some allies. I'm really hoping the Stirlanders build up Nuln right (I would have given it to Ostermark if I could) because I put my first outpost there in hopes I might eventually get some Helblasters out of it. But jesus Scrag does a number on the Empire. I'm pretty sure everyone else besides Ostland, Stirland, and Ostermark is dead.

Also mildly irritated that the Ice Witch lord you get from confederating Marienburg doesn't have any bonuses from the Ice Court. Given that they're the "matriarchy" I can only assume that they'll be replaced by whatever DLC faction comes in with Ungols and Hags. I'd replace her and send her off on a suicide mission but I'm pretty sure I'm just giving that whole area over to Kostaltyn to watch over as soon as I confederate him, too. Now I'm just waiting on that respec mod to fix whatever lovely levels he picked.

Reik posted:

But you can recruit atamans as lords, right? Couldn't you have an ataman garrisoned in kislev as well as an ataman from the screen?
I haven't tried but I think Atamans only get their Ataman governing bonuses while governing, not when they're garrisoned. I think the only advantage they get over Boyars is that they are free to recruit. I think, I honestly haven't tried because they're just too useful governing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kislev economy is in the shitter because tsarina invaded the druzhina enclave and lost supporters.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

CancerCakes posted:

Yeah, I portalled Katarina down for a tour of the south eastern badlands straight after getting a soul, sacking everything on the way back to kislev.

Can someone post their end game Kislev stack?

I had two:

Katarin, Tempest Ice Maiden, Patriarch x2, Tsar Guard (shields) x6, Ice Guard (swords) x3, Ice Guard (glaives) x4, War Bear Riders x2, Starting Snow Leopard.

There were two other stacks that were the same plus/minus a unit or 3 with Boyars leading.

Boris, Ice Maiden (chariot upkeep reduction trait), Patriarch x2, War Bear Riders x6, Heavy War Sleds x8, Little Grom x2.

Not perfectly optimal but certainly enjoyable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Jesus christ I'm dying. My wife doesnt understand why I've turned red from laughing so hard.

My fiancée is a russian warhammer nerd and v much appreciated it. Inauthentic accent and government-sponsored character is not obviously drunk though, so a mere 7/10.

ps- Нет войне

Слава Україні

Героям слава

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 8, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Scandalous posted:

On behalf of Royal Kislev Tourism Board and under watchful eye of Akshina Vocational Dissident Reeducation Programme I invite you visit glorious nation of Kislev. Our motto: Is Fine.

This is the funniest post I've read in weeks.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Scandalous posted:

Nice.

Also, Atamans only give their bonuses while they are atamans, right? If they get recruited you lose those bonuses?

This whole campaign I've kept Kraka Drak alive as a pet faction in Hell Pit, and have completely rebuilt their original starting province myself, I planned on giving it back, but it makes too much money, plus as soon as I give it back they'll just lose it again, and I'd have to keep all my armies up there anyway...

Currently trying to raze all the chaos faction settlements across the Bay of Claws, while other armies take all of Norsca to end that threat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also, Atamans only give their bonuses while they are atamans, right? If they get recruited you lose those bonuses?

This whole campaign I've kept Kraka Drak alive as a pet faction in Hell Pit, and have completely rebuilt their original starting province myself, I planned on giving it back, but it makes too much money, plus as soon as I give it back they'll just lose it again, and I'd have to keep all my armies up there anyway...

Currently trying to raze all the chaos faction settlements across the Bay of Claws, while other armies take all of Norsca to end that threat.
I'm not sure where I saw it (in game, here, discord, who knows) but I'm fairly certain that you are correct - they only provide their bonuses if they are not leading an army.

Re: Kraka Drak - giving them Hellpit is a great idea, I'm disappointed that I didnt think of that. Much easier to keep them alive if they're on your side of the mountains.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My fiancée is a russian warhammer nerd and v much appreciated it. Inauthentic accent and government-sponsored character is not obviously drunk though, so a mere 7/10.
lol. Considering it is entirely text based I think its still at least a 9/10 :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Re: Kraka Drak - giving them Hellpit is a great idea, I'm disappointed that I didnt think of that. Much easier to keep them alive if they're on your side of the mountains.
Yeah, that's not a bad idea at all. I might do that to give them some kind of seeding ground. I would like to have them as my buffer up north instead of defending it myself. And while having a single settlement province is nice for the Ataman count I'm not sure it's worth it overall given how lousy Hellpit is otherwise,, especially when getting a dwarf hold and allies in your homeland is the other option.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, that's not a bad idea at all. I might do that to give them some kind of seeding ground. I would like to have them as my buffer up north instead of defending it myself. And while having a single settlement province is nice for the Ataman count I'm not sure it's worth it overall given how lousy Hellpit is otherwise,, especially when getting a dwarf hold and allies in your homeland is the other option.

Just an FYI Kraka Drak cannot hold the northern province. Too many Nurgle armies that auto-kill them. But Kraka Drak does give you some guaranteed alleigance and those cool dwarf copters, since they'll build outposts in your city.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Just an FYI Kraka Drak cannot hold the northern province. Too many Nurgle armies that auto-kill them. But Kraka Drak does give you some guaranteed alleigance and those cool dwarf copters, since they'll build outposts in your city.

Oh yeah, I know they can't since they just got wiped out and I regretted not moving them to hellpit. That said going up and conquering the northern province and giving it back to them periodically seems better than razing the Nurgle territories or trying to hold it myself.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Oh yeah, I know they can't since they just got wiped out and I regretted not moving them to hellpit. That said going up and conquering the northern province and giving it back to them periodically seems better than razing the Nurgle territories or trying to hold it myself.

That northern province really isn't a pain to hold. With walled/garrisoned minor settlements, only full stack legendary lord invaders will try to seriously besiege them. You've gotta have an army in the gap on the east, it doesn't really matter if you hold them in Sjotraken or in the eastern oblast. You've probably got another army close enough to the western end of the province to provide relief. This'll be whoever you've assigned to guard the Troll Country province. Rock a 24/7 Ursun invocation with the commandment that slows enemies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Most of the dwarves seem to be having growth problems and need some real protection from you to survive and thrive

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Third World Reagan posted:

SFO isn't bad. It is the fans that are bad. It is grimhammer.

I'm curious. Why? I'm not trying to bait you. I know nothing about it. I bought Warhams 2 rather late and I just copy/pasted my friend's list of mods that he subscribed to because he had like 1000 hours in the game and he sent me good mods for previous historical total wars.

I'm still rather vague on every thing that SFO does but I do like the slower battles and they've added some interesting faction mechanics to legendary lords that previously had none (like Throgg can eat people for new techs). Other than that I'm pretty unaware of anything controversial it does - it seems that it barely adds any new units and the added ones seem to fit in well without being overpowered.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I'm curious. Why? I'm not trying to bait you. I know nothing about it. I bought Warhams 2 rather late and I just copy/pasted my friend's list of mods that he subscribed to because he had like 1000 hours in the game and he sent me good mods for previous historical total wars.

I'm still rather vague on every thing that SFO does but I do like the slower battles and they've added some interesting faction mechanics to legendary lords that previously had none (like Throgg can eat people for new techs). Other than that I'm pretty unaware of anything controversial it does - it seems that it barely adds any new units and the added ones seem to fit in well without being overpowered.

SFO isn't really "slower battles" though, yeah? It's more that there's a bigger difference between regular and elite infantry, and that there are more Sophie's Choice style decisions. So you have to make a bunch of decisions about stuff like do you want your infantry to be faster or stronger (rather than a tech upgrade making your infantry faster or making them stronger). And your Hammerers may just be way, way stronger than your warriors. Whereas in regular play, you might not pick a Hammerer versus a Great Weapon Longbeard, because there isn't a clear upgrade path. And you certainly aren't researching tech that makes your Hammerer shittier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think only dwarfs get the "choose one upgrade" thing, it's sort of their big tech thing. And I think every unit can choose at least one option that just makes them better, but you can also sometimes choose ones that have tradeoffs if you want to specialise the unit. Otherwise it is the usual basic improvements scattered through the tech tree.

SFO does I think make battles notably slower in general, but it also does expand the gap between lovely infantry and good infantry a lot yes, if you have the right sort of unit you can kill basically endless lovely units with it. Hammerers are sort of the ideal of this, especially the everguard units that thorgrim gets, they're almost entirely untouchable by skaven and gobbos and will still do a real number on basically anything you fight except maybe top tier orcs. They also get area attacks so they really lean into the chaff demolition ability. I really like this variety but some people probably don't. It probably also only really works if you turn on unit caps because otherwise it just makes doomstacks more doomy. I would play with army and faction caps personally, makes for much more interesting compositions.

I think another big point of contention is the economic changes, it makes a lot of stuff have granular effects, like public order works the same way it now does in WH3 where it gives you banded bonuses and is harder to maintain at higher levels. Also the empire gets chaos corruption at low public order which is very funny if it happens and you aren't expecting it because it can gently caress you up badly lol, but it's a nice thematic touch. Taxes also impact growth a lot, so if you aren't making much money you want to turn tax off to grow the province faster. Also you probably want to stack growth buildings. You can be an absolute powerhouse but it usually involves interconnected webs of buildings with province adjacency effects or making sure you have all the province buff buildings and stuff. Also a lot of it is tied to map locations as major ports and gold mines give you massive amounts of gold. The vampire economy causes deleterious effects on the province when you build its high end buildings so you need to do stuff to offset that and think about where you want to build it (because they're vampires, exploiting people is their entire gimmick) dwarfs can build mines everywhere but doing so also increases skaven corruption and makes it harder to traverse the province, so you need to mitigate that too.

All the factions get IMO nice thematic changes to their economy but a lot of people just don't like the economic layer so they don't like that. Personally it's one of the bigger draws for me because I find that layer too shallow in base warhammer 2, and also in warhammer 3 tbh though it is a little better.

Overall though you have the right of it with the idea that it has a bunch of fun thematic stuff for each faction, it just makes all the factions pop better I think, makes them fun and different experiences from each other and adds usually a lot more variety and thought to each campaign.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 8, 2022

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Mr. Grapes! posted:

SFO is a massive overhaul that radically changes the base game, and therefore radicalizes the player base on if it is good or not. If you enjoy it, play it, if not, don't. It's really that simple.

On a deeper level, each faction and lord have been changed enough that you might find you like the way specific factions have been changed, but not others. At a baseline its a rougher experience because there are a lot more choices that can have long term consequences that you have to both understand the baseline game and engine to really grok what its doing, but then also learn the ins and outs of SFO in particular to assess. This is a PITA if you're a fairly casual player but can be quite compelling if you're a 1000+ hour player and have specific Thoughts on the state of the game. The community around it trends towards the more hardcore/high difficulty player base, coming with the toxicity you'd generally expect of it. In my surface level reading that community has become a bit better over the last 2ish years to a combination of better team guidance and enough sub-mods that they aren't as "pure" as they started off as, but I also don't dive into that community much because I don't find SFO super compelling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh that's another point actually yeah I don't personally play it on anything other than normal battles and hard campaign, possibly very hard campaign if you want it to be... very hard....

I think it does generally make the game tougher, especially if you're a faction with a significant quality deficit compared to your immediate adversaries, because the mod makes quality very important and it is very hard to fight good units with lovely ones. But you can probably offset that by just not going mad with the difficulty settings.

I would say it probably appeals most if you like to take your time and really look at the mechanics a bunch yeah, which I do, I like crunchy involved systems I can really dig into, I like getting a new lord type or legendary lord and going "let's see what this guy is good at fielding" and planning out an army comp for them that plays to their strengths and what I have access to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 8, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tzeentch just transferred one of my settlements...and then three turns later did another one this is bullshit lol

edit: oh wait, i didn't realize all tzeentch factions get that mechanic wtf

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Most of the dwarves seem to be having growth problems

Is that a short joke? I'm pretty sure that's a short joke.

*adds name to book of grudges*

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mr. Grapes! posted:

A nazi made it, or helped make it, so they changed the name. Fans often refuse to call it by its new name.

Fans often ask if something is compatible with SFO, causing issues with mod makers. Every update.

Other than that, it basically is radious but for a different set. The overhauls it makes range from 'economy broken please send help' to 'easier doom stacks'

So the mod itself is just what mods do. But god drat do its fans never shut up about it and constantly bug others about it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is that a short joke? I'm pretty sure that's a short joke.

*adds name to book of grudges*

In TW2, they nerfed growth at one point to give dwarfs some stupid long turn requirement. I believe it is fixed in TW3.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

A nazi made it, or helped make it, so they changed the name. Fans often refuse to call it by its new name.

Fans often ask if something is compatible with SFO, causing issues with mod makers. Every update.

Other than that, it basically is radious but for a different set. The overhauls it makes range from 'economy broken please send help' to 'easier doom stacks'

So the mod itself is just what mods do. But god drat do its fans never shut up about it and constantly bug others about it.

I remember the radious mod from Shogun 2. At first I thought it was a novel concept to freshen up the formula but I realised after playing for a bit that the additions were pointless tedium.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I generally don't like any of the overhauls. Usually, a lot of them involve boiling away the fascinating asymmetry of the game by splashing everything into every faction or adding so much extra busy-work to keep in mind that it creates a depth of complexity that works on minutia. In another game's example, that's basically what The Long War did for XCom, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for playing or liking it, but it's just never been for me. I don't need to have 8 spear infantry but they all have slight differences, I'd rather have unique things that have large impacts and changes. It's not that I don't like having a lot of things to play with but those "Lot of things" should generally be interesting to use and not strike me as a bunch of wasted potential.

An example is I used a mod called Guns of the Empire, It added a lot of fire arms units to the Empire Roster, Some of them however basically were just "Other handgunner" or in the case of Linebreakers/Longrifles just being Ratling Guns/Jezails for the Empire, which don't get me wrong, big fan of that. I liked having the option for my missile armies to have more depth, but some of those units were utterly pointless. I don't mind a better Anvil for the Empire's hammer, because the vanilla Anvil is really really poo poo (which is why the actual anvil is just a bunch of heroes and the Lord)

Or another thing, I actually really like Xoudad's Knightly Orders, however... they're ALL shock cavalry. Why do I need 8 flavours of shock cavalry, the Empire already has a shitload and they aren't very good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Overhaul mods like SFO are good if you want to re-experience a game for the first time again while still having it be familiar.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah SFO can be good. It's the same thing but slightly different, which can be welcome at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Playing as the iron dragon (man, his caravans really get hosed up if you auto resolve them, huh?) and i'm still finding it ridiculous that the hanyu port doesn't have a loving port.

Come on CA.