Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I really wish George Bush didn’t destroy the towers. Then maybe we could have a good MMO ever again.

Alas, there will never be a good MMO again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we are already all a part of the greatest mmo possible my friends

this is because i've gone ahead and signed yall up for the free trial of final fantasy xiv including the award winning glamour dresser

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
SA forums, one of the longest active MMOs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vinestalk posted:

SA forums, one of the longest active MMOs

Mods no longer hand out probes, they are just crowd controlling with mezzes.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Zil posted:

Mods no longer hand out probes, they are just crowd controlling with mezzes.

:smugwizard:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want some really low graphics MMOs. I just feel like its a lot easier to make a sandbox MMO when you can leave animations and stuff to the imagination

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

eonwe posted:

I want some really low graphics MMOs. I just feel like its a lot easier to make a sandbox MMO when you can leave animations and stuff to the imagination

EverCraft Online is kinda like that, though I think it actually looks pretty decent considering the limitations of the style.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

eonwe posted:

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
XxSephirothxX says, 'LFG!'

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I miss the days of well populated MUDs everywhere.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mode 7 posted:

I miss the days of well populated MUDs everywhere.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
what would it take you to get back to MUDs? is it just the missing population?

i often fire up a MUD, get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of poo poo going on in the first 50 paragraphs of text it throws at me, and then nope right out of there. for me, i think it's partially the medium and partially the fact that the MUDs have had 20+ years of content and stuff added. and, yeah, when searching for a MUD i'm definitely guilty of sorting by population.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I still like writing bots for MUDs as a hobby, although I haven't worked on one in over a year.

I'm completely a hack and slash type player, so I'd like to see a MUD with fun, modern combat and class design. (And active development, and an active playerbase). Content like handwritten quests tends to be a negative for me - the only exception I've seen is Materia Magica, which managed to implement bosses with actual mechanics.

I haven't seen a MUD that's tried to apply the lessons of modern MMO class design, every ability is still just 90 different versions of magic missile, but with varying costs/damage/element.

If you're gonna make me do combat that's just spamming my highest level spell and maybe casting a heal then at least give me an FF12-style gambit system that lets me automate the boring decisions. And I like grinding and long-term character development, but I'm too old to do it by hand, give me idle game style offline progress or just let me bot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish there was a MUD designed with some more QOL and ways to teach people MUDs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the one time I tried a MUD I was immediately dogpiled by a half-dozen roleplayers emoting at me, I got super creeped out and uninstalled

i assume that's how it feels to discover sharks while going for a swim

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cmdrk posted:

what would it take you to get back to MUDs? is it just the missing population?

i often fire up a MUD, get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of poo poo going on in the first 50 paragraphs of text it throws at me, and then nope right out of there. for me, i think it's partially the medium and partially the fact that the MUDs have had 20+ years of content and stuff added. and, yeah, when searching for a MUD i'm definitely guilty of sorting by population.

Being 16 and having zero responsibilities, tons of free time and the ability to regularly stay up gaming until 4am again would also help a ton.

There's definitely an approachability problem where MUDs haven't really taken any of the design lessons that modern MMOs have, but at the same time I can't blame them. A lot of them are sheer passion projects as it is and people won't see any sort of financial return on the amount of time and effort they need to invest in coding and building. I think also for some long-established MUDs that have managed to retain a decent playerbase, substantial change of any kind comes with a degree of risk - a lot of the players who've stuck around will react to the idea of change not unlike a vampire hissing at a crucifix.

I think to get back into a MUD at this point I'd need it to have a population of around ~30 or so folks on in my time zone, do something modern/interesting with the game and combat design, and not retread ground that's already been well trodden by other games because I spent years sinking huge amounts of time into a variety of MUDs so anything that feels too same-y will immediately lose my interest.

That magical theoretical MUD will never exist.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Text based MUDs are for serious role players more than any RP server. In my time messing with them I don't think I ever saw another player pick up a weapon and hit something with it other than me when I went "this is a mmo right? I should fight other players?" Without having macros set up or nearly good enough equipment because threat analysis was difficult.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My best friend growing up played Achaea so much he got hired by the company that ran it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i thought the discworld mud was neat for like the 2 hours total i played

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i keep fantasizing about some kind of frankenstein's monster version of a MUD that is primarily a mobile app. hot RP action while youre taking a poo poo at work.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cmdrk posted:

i keep fantasizing about some kind of frankenstein's monster version of a MUD that is primarily a mobile app. hot RP action while youre taking a poo poo at work.

If you can do that to any extent while on the toilet you need either more fiber or more work.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I jumped on a RP mud last year sometime in march?

My eye's started to hurt when i got to the 3rd paragraph reading the description of a simple dagger I found on the ground..

<100 55 80>schedule appointment with eye doctor
>What?
<100 55 80>sigh
>You let out a long sigh..
<100 54 80>

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

i thought the discworld mud was neat for like the 2 hours total i played

The Discworld MUD is pretty fantastic. It was one of the first MUDs I ever really sunk a lot of time into, the sheer size of Ankh-Morpork (the main city) alone was bigger than some other MUDs, but it had actual effort put in to making unique and well written room descriptions at least across the main roads. At least once a year or so I'll make a new character and wander around for nostalgia, do some quests that I remember, hang out in whatever guild space I've picked this time and just generally luxuriate in the nostalgia, but it's too much of a time sink to get reinvested the way I once did.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
MUDs are fun, and I still play Dragonrealms once in a while, if anyone remembers that, or has played.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

eonwe posted:

I wish there was a MUD designed with some more QOL and ways to teach people MUDs

This is Discworld. I still play it on and off. It is vast and it is pure, and the people in it are generally very kind and eager to help a newbie out. The only downside is...you'll be feeling like a naked babby in an ocean of text and decades-old code

It is very new player friendly if you have the will to learn, and it is fully playable from the browser player they have, which includes overhead map. You will not need to learn mud software in order to create aliases and macros, they have those built-in into the game. Its great because you get to have your configurations server-side and ready to go.

But use this. Premium stuff for new players. I use it for the maps and chat windows and make all my aliases through the ingame system.

Just put on some nice immersive background music and dive in. There's lots to learn but every step will be enjoyable and you will get good brain chemicals with every small victory
Protip: Use the numpad to move around

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Great! I think I'm going to try this out tonight.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

duddits posted:

MUDs are fun, and I still play Dragonrealms once in a while, if anyone remembers that, or has played.

Hell yeah, I played the poo poo out of Dragonrealms as a kid. Came back a few years ago, leveled a Necro to Circle 100 and ultimately felt like I had seen most of what the game had, but it was still a lot of fun.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

cmdrk posted:

This sort of exists in Wyvern from Ghost Track. It has graphics, but the workings of it are very obviously of a MUD with pixel art and mild QOL bolted on top. I used to play it on iOS and have some grindy fun a few years back, during a time it was mobile-exclusive, but nowadays it's out on Steam too.

Unfortunately I can't speak for how much hot RPing action goes on. I expect at least some. There are customizable player homes, so surely someone built their very own sex dungeon.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

If anyone's looking for MUDs, Stormhalter is a Legends of Kesmai emulator and is pretty neat. LoK is a graphical MUD, so simple graphics, but some neat old MUD mechanics.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
LoK was my introduction to online RPGs as a really young and dumb kid. It has an interesting world with an entirely separate area for a death reincarnation quest if I remember right. I might check that out someday. Thanks.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

All this graphics mud-talk got me thinking about EUOtopia.

Its essentially Ultima V but multiplayer, made by a diehard ultima fan. Its been around for quite some time. I didnt play it much but its a unique experience, totally worth it if you have the time for it.

here

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you're looking for a MUD or simple browser based game you may want to look at http://www.glitchless.com/racewarkingdoms.html. There is apparently another one called Nodiatis.

Never played it, but I do want to caution you that they were trying to develop an EQ alternative called Dawn since 2002 and it still isn't out. It's vaporware of course, but hilarious to me since I remember thinking that this game would be amazing back in 2002.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Race War Kingdoms seems like a very unfortunate name

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I could never get into MUDs, I tried a couple times.

I remember reading about a really absurd MUD involving bunnies and wacky hi-jinks, but I don't know what it was called.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would sooner play something with the shittiest graphics, like Well of Souls, than play a MUD.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ok

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Freakazoid_ posted:

I would sooner play something with the shittiest graphics, like Well of Souls, than play a MUD.

holy poo poo I forgot about well of souls, that game was bizarre and apparently still running

the only thing I remember is all the character sprites were drawn to look like they were levitating so the devs wouldn't have to figure out walking animations

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

If you're looking for a MUD or simple browser based game you may want to look at http://www.glitchless.com/racewarkingdoms.html. There is apparently another one called Nodiatis.

Never played it, but I do want to caution you that they were trying to develop an EQ alternative called Dawn since 2002 and it still isn't out. It's vaporware of course, but hilarious to me since I remember thinking that this game would be amazing back in 2002.

Man, glitchless guy is certainly one of the smartest indie devs I have come across over a lifetime gaming. I played a bit of Nodiatis (and still do occasionally) and I have to say
a) game is opium and
b) it has the most outrageously well calculated method of skinning gamers for whatever is in their wallet. I have never seen a more shameless p2w system than Nodiatis. I'd wager this guys is already a millionaire by now, taking cash from olkskool rpg players and players in poorer countries (large playerbase in latin america) who do not have access to good hardware and end up completely addicted to his game.

I dont mean to poo poo on the guy, I unironically think he is somewhat of a genius

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I will poo poo on him

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

oh wow, I remember that thread :P

Well OK