Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It’d be a cool twist if there wasn’t only two personalities. For example, you go down the elevator and it’s your innie. Outside is your outtie. Go UP the elevator and it’s your... uppie? Whole other floor, whole other hidden identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great show, and good insights in the thread. Hadn’t thought of the theme of infantilism but that does definitely apply. I remember years ago someone decrying bad office jobs as “daycare for adults” and that’s stuck with me.

I like how Dylan acts like the most sarcastic and above it all worker but how his motivation to outdo his cube mates is muted by how worthless the prizes like fingertraps or a waffle party are. And how he is capable of hatred and paranoia but channels it at another dept rather than questioning the system. Mark has a bit of that too when he reflexively defends severance against a protestor despite being miserable and getting no reward for it.

A theory, the weird founders of Lumen wanted their ideas to save humanity but were ridiculed on the outside and only in a tightly controlled setting with no competing ideologies could they dominate a society. But their system is so poorly constructed a bad self help book looks better in comparison.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 8, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Factor Mystic posted:

It’d be a cool twist if there wasn’t only two personalities. For example, you go down the elevator and it’s your innie. Outside is your outtie. Go UP the elevator and it’s your... uppie? Whole other floor, whole other hidden identity.

If you think about it, there's lots of applications for a system that lets you completely excise a part of your life. You could have a home-mountained bluetooth Severance unit mounted above your bathroom door, so you never have to poop, shower, shave, put on make-up, etc. Just walk in and walk out clean like a whistle! I'd be tempted.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Factor Mystic posted:

Go UP the elevator and it’s your... uppie? Whole other floor, whole other hidden identity.

The Board! :tinfoil:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

XboxPants posted:

If you think about it, there's lots of applications for a system that lets you completely excise a part of your life. You could have a home-mountained bluetooth Severance unit mounted above your bathroom door, so you never have to poop, shower, shave, put on make-up, etc. Just walk in and walk out clean like a whistle! I'd be tempted.

That’s pretty bleak. I wouldn’t want to lose any part of my memory/consciousness. I can come up with solutions to problems while pooping and think about my family while shaving and sing in the shower. Even in mundanity there is something there for us

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

jesus the severance floor is already nightmare fuel, please do not make me contemplate the life of a bathroom innie :gonk: :gonk:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i might sign up to be a bathroom innie, oh no, I live my whole life in sweet blissful relief seldomly punctuated by assblasting adventures. bummer, I'll live my whole life dicking around on the internet and not having to wait all day to see the next day's news to post about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Innie Helly fighting her outie by taking a poo poo in the elevator at the end of every shift.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

i might sign up to be a bathroom innie, oh no, I live my whole life in sweet blissful relief seldomly punctuated by assblasting adventures. bummer, I'll live my whole life dicking around on the internet and not having to wait all day to see the next day's news to post about.

I'm giving you one month until you start spreading poo poo all over the walls.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Ccs posted:

Is Devs anything like this show? I'm out of episodes of this to watch and want something more that's similar. I tried Party Down cause it has Adam Scott haha.

They’re both very different, and the first comparison I made when recommending this show to someone. I’m sure that we’re going to end up getting many of the same complaints when the “science” behind Severance becomes even more outlandish and it’s clear we’re in allegory territory. Either way, I’d recommend Devs a lot to anyone who likes their fiction to pose philosophical questions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ghostwritingduck posted:

They’re both very different, and the first comparison I made when recommending this show to someone. I’m sure that we’re going to end up getting many of the same complaints when the “science” behind Severance becomes even more outlandish and it’s clear we’re in allegory territory. Either way, I’d recommend Devs a lot to anyone who likes their fiction to pose philosophical questions.

The problem with Devs wasn't that the science didn't hold up. It was that the plot didn't hold up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tiggum posted:

The problem with Devs wasn't that the science didn't hold up. It was that the plot didn't hold up.
I loved everything about Devs except the main character (and the ending). I just thought she was a really bad pick, whether it's acting or writing-wise.

The premise and atmosphere of the show was excellent, though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Devs oozes atmosphere, and it's one of the most "stylish" shows I have seen. But as others have said the story completely falls apart.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Tiggum posted:

Strong disagree, but I understand where people are coming from. The emotional payoff worked well for me, and it made sense running on what I call dream logic. Mulholland Drive, Donnie Darko, Dead Ringers are all examples of things I’ve enjoyed that run on this type of dream logic. It’s not for everyone.

I highly suspect that this show is going in that direction as well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my memory of Devs is mostly people standing around staring out windows or cool shots of people walking outside while moody Ex Machina style music played

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

itry posted:

Yeah it’d be like solitary confinement except you don’t even get to yell impotently at the guard bringing you food. Depending on your bathroom setup you probably don’t even have a loving window. Fuuuuuuck that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Innie Helly fighting her outie by taking a poo poo in the elevator at the end of every shift.

This is actually a great scheme. poo poo n piss yourself every day, make your outtie deal with that on the commute. I'd also eat a shitload of cheese, just chug a big glass of cow's milk, and then some lemon juice or something after to really make it weird for my unmutated body. Guess they would just keep the milk and cheese away from us then. Bastards.

Oooh how bout this, you pull your hair back in a hairtie, but way way way too tight, so it starts giving you a headache by the time you leave work. You could also do stuff like tie a shitload of knots in your shoelaces, constantly stretch or tear holes in your clothes. Shave a swastika onto your chest (or would the code device detect it?) I think eveninternally you could, say, get really pissed off, get the adrenaline and blood haze illogical brain chems flowing then step onto the elevator and make your outtie have to start their commute home with an inexplicable dose of rage. There are a ton of subtle ways you could wage warfare on yourself.

itry posted:

We do that already, asserts dominance over the landlord.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Oooh how bout this, you pull your hair back in a hairtie, but way way way too tight, so it starts giving you a headache by the time you leave work. You could also do stuff like tie a shitload of knots in your shoelaces, constantly stretch or tear holes in your clothes. Shave a swastika onto your chest (or would the code device detect it?) I think eveninternally you could, say, get really pissed off, get the adrenaline and blood haze illogical brain chems flowing then step onto the elevator and make your outtie have to start their commute home with an inexplicable dose of rage. There are a ton of subtle ways you could wage warfare on yourself.

You OK, buddy?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just before you get in the elevator, stick a drawing pin under your foot and keep it arched. Let them find out with their first step. Repeat.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A cool twist would be an in-between floor. Like someone said, a third personality that is told a completely different story the first day than the innie. And the outie doesn’t know they exist.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
lumen's worked this out so well that the working class don't just hate each other anymore, they hate themselves

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

You OK, buddy?

I'm OK because we aren't Severed yet and I know how completely I am willing to hurt me if I try to pull any fucky poo poo on myself. We're getting severed for one week to see how it is, cause ya gotta try everything once, but get me out or the Trouble starts. Just thought of another one, eat a shitload of popcorn before elevator and let the stupid shell parts and all under your gums. in general eat really sloppy too so that idiot has to stop at the gas station looking like a food-stained fool. Oooh and wear a tight rubberband on your wrist so their hand gets all cold and tingly muhahaha

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's not real my dude. It's ok.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Just drop your pants in the elevator at the end of each day, for a laugh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

Just drop your pants in the elevator at the end of each day, for a laugh

Reckon this was why Dylan was sent to the Break Room? He seems less rebellious than Helly is, or that they've implied Mark to have been. But they've all definitely been there.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

Reckon this was why Dylan was sent to the Break Room? He seems less rebellious than Helly is, or that they've implied Mark to have been. But they've all definitely been there.

He took more than two coins from the jar.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
you got to be a really certain type of person with certain circumstances to agree to it.

what happens if you need to be reached cause your kid or another family member has an emergency at 11:00 in the morning?

which makes sense for Mark cause he has no kids (I'm assuming) and his wife died

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What about bring your kid to work day?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

what happens if you need to be reached cause your kid or another family member has an emergency at 11:00 in the morning?

i doubt any of the four actually have dependents like that but if they did, they'd probably have to go through milchek who would play interference and then maybe, if lumen felt like it, go pick up the worker and lead them out with some vague explanation insisting they shouldn't worry about it, see you later/tomorrow.

the outies can call in sick so there are some allowances for that kind of thing. of course mark calling in sick immediately ramped up the spying on him.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The show hasn’t implied anything otherwise, but you’d have to be in a bad spot to willingly offer up portions of your consciousness and living experience like that. Patricia Arquette is arguably in a better position than her employees and they’ve offered evidence she’s in a really bad way mentally herself

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
from what we've seen, lumen's onboarding process for the new recruits is loving terrible. i wonder if that's going to be intentional.

there's no real reason that you need to end up with someone like helly in this situation. even if you accept the fact that a blank slate would have a strong sense of self-determination (which i don't, but i'll take it to get a protagonist within the severed floor), you could build in flexibility to allow either freedoms or conditions which quell resistance, and still keep them there doing the work.

they just keep trying to go with the usual procedures when it's only making her more rebellious. it's either stupid, or their goals include having workers fight the system for either research or other, yet to be revealed purposes.

i'm happy with either direction because employers mismanage and unnecessarily exert authority all the time, but this all being a shell game for something else will be entertaining.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
definitely the biggest stretch here is thinking the innies would work at all. Outside of specific passions that coincide with capitalism, you do work because you are held hostage with consequences if you do not work, and you can get through the work knowing you will be paid for it and do the things with the money that you do like to do, maybe. Working is hard when you have diminished care for being alive even with normal compensation for labor but the motivation here for the innie is just work, or be tortured and when those are your two main options obviously suicide becomes the logical compromise.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I mean, they are laying on the dogmatic cult principles pretty heavily at this point in the show. The handbook and Eagan's teachings are rigid religious texts and the organizational heirarchy with invisible, silent, and quite possibly dead leadership prevents criticizing it or questioning it by definition.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has Helly even been given the handbook? I don't remember seeing it. At what point is she supposed to start quoting from it if they just let her loose?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Khanstant posted:

definitely the biggest stretch here is thinking the innies would work at all. Outside of specific passions that coincide with capitalism, you do work because you are held hostage with consequences if you do not work, and you can get through the work knowing you will be paid for it and do the things with the money that you do like to do, maybe. Working is hard when you have diminished care for being alive even with normal compensation for labor but the motivation here for the innie is just work, or be tortured and when those are your two main options obviously suicide becomes the logical compromise.

I think being an innie matches the experience of being a salaried employee. I work hard because I want to do a good job, and the paycheck feels like something that is unrelated. It’s only when negotiating raises that I even really make the connection.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think being an innie matches the experience of being a salaried employee. I work hard because I want to do a good job, and the paycheck feels like something that is unrelated. It’s only when negotiating raises that I even really make the connection.

lmao

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

I think the non-Helly employees have just gotten through their severance processing (with a little help from the break room), while we are watching her attempt to cope with everything from the beginning.

Her reactions remind me of the “stages of grief” and we’re watching her go through them. The others have arrived at acceptance.. or maybe depression. She’s definitely got the first three covered, anyway.

- denial
- anger
- bargaining
- depression
- acceptance

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lol Maryann’s immediate sob

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

My job is literally mostly just drawing & designing poo poo and art is the only labour on earth I enjoy and I still do as good a job as I am compensated. If they doubled my wage I would work twice as hard lol, nobody gets 60% full effort for free and I dare someone to pay me enough to unlock the final 40% DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Please tell me what you do.

I mean, I want to do a good job too, but 18 years later and it's still FYPM.