Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FFT posted:

From personal experience, trimming a mustache so it's not at a chewable length takes up to a minute with a trimmer and a comb.

It's been quite a while since I've taken a proper razor to my face but that's not what's in question here. This was solved by electric trimmer technology by at least the 90s.

Electric trimmers are hot garbage, shaving is one thing that technology hasn't improved on in a long time. Even those multibladed carts are universally terrible. The best shave is still a brush, cream, and a single blade razor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're fine if you just buzz it to 1/2 half blade length once or twice a week. Clean-shaven and beard grooming take a modicum of effort. I still loathe the 2 or 3 minutes of it. If I'm ever rich maybe I'll try a huge beard. Related peeve: dudes who grow huge beards but don't realize that the cool, good-leaking beards you see are high-upkeep.

If anyone has a good solution for dicks and balls I'm all ears.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do it in the shower.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Put them in the Shine-O Ball-O

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Iron Crowned posted:

Electric trimmers are hot garbage, shaving is one thing that technology hasn't improved on in a long time. Even those multibladed carts are universally terrible. The best shave is still a brush, cream, and a single blade razor.
I've done that in the past and, yeah, wouldn't recommend electric trimmers for anyone that wants that sort of completely smooth shave.

Straight-edge razors aren't good advice for mustache maintenance, though, yeah?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nair :grin:

stringless has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Mar 7, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My solution to all that poo poo is to just not shave and it rules I love my armpit hair

I wish I could grow a beard, why didnt I get the one cool PCOS symptom

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Are women still expected to shave their legs and pits? It's 2022 ffs

I groom my facial hair into designs and people know them by name. Presently I'm sporting "The Blade" which is a variation of "The Sword". The most advance form is "Silk and The Heron" but requires three levels of hair growth to pull off.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Mar 7, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

credburn posted:

I groom my facial hair into designs and people know them by name. Presently I'm sporting "The Blade" which is a variation of "The Sword". The most advance form is "Silk and The Heron" but requires three levels of hair growth to pull off.

I need to know what this means

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've read that the Philips One Blade (which is I think as close as humanity is to an actual Star Wrs-style Vibro-blade) is really good at that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

credburn posted:

Are women still expected to shave their legs and pits? It's 2022 ffs
Depends on context. We do live in a society.

At least here in The States the shaving is still generally considered a fundamental aspect of femininity and lapsing or rejecting it is considered a transgression.

The only person I've known to take a stand about it? The last time we talked they told me about how empowering it felt to be packing. And you know what? Hell yeah.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I need to know what this means

So, I'm going to do an awful job, so here's an illustration. I know it's an awful illustration but it might help.

So if you imagine, I grow naturally a full beard. The Sword is where the mustache and beard meet, and they taper out about an inch before reaching my sideburns. Actually, I did the illustration badly; the tapering ends about my nose. The Blade is like The Sword but there is a division between the mustache and beard. The mustache tapers toward the sideburns, and swoops down a but, but doesn't touch the beard. And SIlk and the Heron is this; The beard and mustache do connect, but only barely, just as they both taper off toward my sideburns. Furthermore, on my chin, there are three levels of growth so that it kind of jabs downward. That's the heron's beak!

Or actually, here is just the image I use on Facebook. It's The Blade but kind of looks bad because I hadn't shaved that day.

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Mar 8, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

:five:

Thank you this is more delightful than I could have hoped

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just cut them off

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm no industry expert, I don't know if this was a real technical limitation or a stylistic choice, but there was definitely a period right around when everyone was switching to Flash for tv animation where it looked like they were overdoing bounciness in motion (not squash and stretch, like literally just exaggerating the paths moving layers took) to get over how otherwise lifeless flash looked and it was terrible

I remember learning Flash for animation when it first came out. It was really hard to make the animation have life to it. It always ended up stiff.

Apropos of nothing, the last time I used Flash was for a job that paid $600 in 2000. I did a turtle that played guitar and sang "On the Road Again." It was pretty good. I wish I had saved it. The company did not acquire the rights to the song even though I told them they needed to. I think I did pretty good turtle Willy Nelson. My turtle had the braided pig tails and bandana. Plus a scruffy beard. It was for a trade show for a product that they made that was a power meter that sent data across power transmission lines. It was called "The Turtle" because it was slow but it was better than a meter reader. This was pre cell service everywhere so it was actually really cool for rural areas.

I delivered the animation and they promptly declared bankruptcy. I played collection agent and, after a month or two, got my $600. I was pretty happy with that. The check was a personal check. I'm sure the person from the company that hired me just straight up paid me herself because she felt bad.

And that was the end of my animation career. Too bad. I really like doing it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I used to make derpy Flash animations in the 2000s, back when you had to e-mail a guy to get your cartoon on Newgrounds. I was 16. In a convoluted teenage-drama filled adventure, I, an American kid traveled to Australia to meet my Internet girlfriend and was briefly engaged to her. Her father was going to hire me as some kind of specialty thing that would greatly help if not basically grant me citizenship in my new country. Until he brought me to his job, sat me down with a guy, gave us a task involving making an interactive activity for his business website, and thus discovered I knew gently caress-all about Flash but I guess was pretty good at hiding my ineptitude behind elaborate motion tweens. Even the guy whose job was to make poo poo in Flash for a living thought I must know what I was doing.

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Mar 8, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

I used to make derpy Flash animations in the 2000s, back when you had to e-mail a guy to get your cartoon on Newgrounds. I was 16. In a convoluted teenage-drama filled adventure, I, an American kid traveled to Australia to meet my Internet girlfriend and was briefly engaged to her. Her father was going to hire me as some kind of specialty thing that would greatly help if not basically grant me citizenship in my new country. Until he brought me to his job, sat me down with a guy, gave us a task involving making an interactive activity for his business website, and thus discovered I knew gently caress-all about Flash but I guess was pretty good at hiding my ineptitude behind elaborate motion tweens. Even the guy whose job was to make poo poo in Flash for a living thought I must know what I was doing.

This was every IT/web workers origin story around the millenium. Pretend you know what you are doing and hope you don't get caught before you actually learn.

These days it's a bit harder sadly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

This was every IT/web workers origin story around the millenium. Pretend you know what you are doing and hope you don't get caught before you actually learn.

These days it's a bit harder sadly.

This is exactly how I got my job in tech support, just know how to Google poo poo and make sure you take notes in case it comes up in the future. My first job I basically had a mycrimes.txt OneNote that, should my boss ever have actually read it, would show that my experience was 20% knowhow from using computers daily and 80% desperate Google searches like "how do you reset a network adapter" and "what is a raid array"

I know what I'm doing now, but you can totally still get a job like that. At least in 2015 you could

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Which brings up my job related peeve.

When you start at a new job, where what exactly they want/need done is a mystery and you'll "be trained, don't worry". Month later, still got many many questions, but just roll with it seems to be the answer.

When I heard about some jobs using eye scan technology to make sure you are looking at the screen when you are supposed to be, I had the fear put into me. What kind of misanthrope programmed that?? Someone who is tired of their coworkers slacking off all the time I bet.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The only thing more embarassing than my google history is my calc.exe history.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
hello if you are a package deliverer, can you please not just open doors without knocking or ringing the doorbell and waltzing in like you own the place? Are you trying to get shot or what? Why would you ever do this? Also after I tell you to get the gently caress out, why would you yell through the door "should i just leave it at the door?"...yes, you should, that's your job. Put it on the ground, knock and leave.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

hello if you are a package deliverer, can you please not just open doors without knocking or ringing the doorbell and waltzing in like you own the place? Are you trying to get shot or what? Why would you ever do this? Also after I tell you to get the gently caress out, why would you yell through the door "should i just leave it at the door?"...yes, you should, that's your job. Put it on the ground, knock and leave.

What the gently caress who the hell ever does that

Maybe it's a thing in European countries where the airlock style entryways are common? Still gently caress that.

Also, lock yo door.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
drat, I guess I should be more thankful for my delivery guy that doesn't even bring the truck to a full stop before chucking my poo poo vaguely in the direction of my door.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress anything I have to plug in on the back of a large electronic device but you have to look at the plug to get it in properly. I should be able to plug that poo poo in blind and reaching and bending my wrist weird because, guess what, that's the situation.

The absolute worst is the recessed plug area on the back of my TV, because I can't even see the jacks looking down from the top, in from the side, tipping it... I literally have to be entirely behind the TV looking at the jacks or I'm probing around like a bad date.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked when TVs had large manual controls and ports on the front. The one we have even putting a DVD in the inbuilt player, a feature!!!, requires fumbling round back with the DVD.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

The absolute worst is the recessed plug area on the back of my TV, because I can't even see the jacks looking down from the top, in from the side, tipping it... I literally have to be entirely behind the TV looking at the jacks or I'm probing around like a bad date.
I keep having to take cellphone pictures of the back of my TV, which is awkward enough to accomplish. And of course I don't save the photo the first time I need it, so I end up doing it again down the road. Sometimes I resort to reading the manual for the plug area schematic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

when i door dash i like to open the door and throw the food at the people, and then fart before i walk out the door.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

when i door dash i like to open the door and throw the food at the people, and then fart before i walk out the door.
Presumably that's the point the doordash delivery people drop your food and leave

"Delivered, no photo"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FFT posted:

Presumably that's the point the doordash delivery people drop your food and leave

"Delivered, no photo"

the photo i take is the moment the food smashes their face.

im the riddler of door dashers

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I get kind of annoyed when a song that is normally followed by another song is not. Like, when you hear We Will Rock You, you expect We Are the Champions to follow. When you hear Feelin' That Way, you know Anytime is coming up. Tainted Love should segue into Where Did Our Love Go, and Nights in White Satin into Late Lament. Well, that's more a poem than a song.

I went out dancing to 80s music last night and had to be like WAIT WAIT STOP EVERYTHING more than once

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who say "horror show" to mean "bad"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

True bc horror is the best genre

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Hell yeah. Is "people who don't like horror movies" a peeve?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Tell me about it. I was sitting around a popular hipster Korova milk bar, and all the kids were saying that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CelticPredator posted:

Ehh give me terror any day

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

Do people say this? I used to say it for a while, but I didn't really mean it to mean 'bad'; I had just read A Clockwork Orange and was a real gromky, insufferable oozhassny malchick.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Also hey if I have a normal door and then an exterior screen or glass door don’t drop my poo poo right in front of it so it’s a hassle for me to get it, especially if it’s food ESPECIALLY if there’s a drink involved.

Put it a bit to the side and we good

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

credburn posted:

I get kind of annoyed when a song that is normally followed by another song is not. Like, when you hear We Will Rock You, you expect We Are the Champions to follow. When you hear Feelin' That Way, you know Anytime is coming up. Tainted Love should segue into Where Did Our Love Go, and Nights in White Satin into Late Lament. Well, that's more a poem than a song.
And Basket Case should segue into No Rain

because that's how I recorded it off the radio onto cassette back in 94

But without jokes, I feel the same way about Take On Me -> Sun Always Shines on TV

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
And Brain Damage should always cut into Eclipse, according to Dark Side of the Moon :2bong:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Also hey if I have a normal door and then an exterior screen or glass door don’t drop my poo poo right in front of it so it’s a hassle for me to get it, especially if it’s food ESPECIALLY if there’s a drink involved.

Put it a bit to the side and we good

My aunt did this with a gift bottle of wine. I get a text like "Left you a gift, had to run so I couldn't say hi :) check outside ur door" and yep, there's a bottle on my step with the neck right at door level. I ended up with a cramp getting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Google, please introduce a tipping function for basic guides on how to do something. Make that a way to make a living, where instead of a 20 minute youtube video where 80% of it is telling you to smash the notification bell, make it so i can give money to people who just tell me how to do it, no frills, just the steps. I have spent 2 days trying to learn how to stream oculus quest 2 to twitch. I will not watch your drat videos. Just tell me how in text, i'll pay you!