Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

uXs posted:

I don't doubt the Russian army is willing to do this, but does this really make sense from a practical standpoint? How would they do this? Waste a ton of ammo levelling everything? Or do they have a tank run everything over? Neither makes much sense.

Hostomel is also the scene of early and massive back and forth fighting so even without deliberate action it's likely leveled. Both sides are probably shooting fairly indiscriminately in to buildings and knocking them down to deny each other their use. War sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

EU is working on an even more extended list of sanctions. The article makes Germany sound like the main country slowing things down, but hard to say
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1501150484840824834?t=QO4WJFv2AKHiJX1d0reR4w&s=19

Yeah this does sound like Germany yet again is being pain in the rear end, since everything meaningful in that package seems to be contested as of yet. In their defence, however, the oil ban undoubtedly is unpopular with a significantly broader number of member states.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Is it confirmed? There's a lot of Russian disinfo prop out there saying he isn't, but what caught my eye was a video from Chechnya's president claiming to be talking to him.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

I didn't get a chance to ask when it was first posted, but what was that bald guy with the "Z" t-shirt yelling about in that tweet?

Which of the millions of Russian skinheads yelling whilst adorned with 21st century swastika?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CSM posted:

Poland has made clear it has no interest in supplying aircraft for now.

As far as I can tell Russia has not threatened NATO countries over arming Ukraine. Probably to avoid further conflict and inevitable nuclear conflagration.

It has been more belligerent with regards to economic sanctions.

It's tentatively back on the table. Also people that think Polish government cares about Russian threats forgets that the same ruling party sent AA Manpads to Georgia in 2008. There's a total sense of desentisation to Kremlin bullshit threats, we've heard it all already. Once in a while some shithead on Russian state TV loves to poetically mention how long Topol-M will fly from Kaliningrad to Warsaw, or how well S-400 will swat our planes from the sky, or how many hours it would take for their armoured columns to cross Vistula.. Then there's constant accusation of being bogeyman: protest in Belarus - it's Poles using Departament of State money, etc.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Archonex posted:

Is it confirmed? There's a lot of Russian disinfo prop out there saying he isn't, but what caught my eye was a video from Chechnya's president claiming to be talking to him.

There were early reports from the first day or two that he was killed by a drone strike, or killed by a javelin strike, or killed after being air-dropped on hostomel. None of these have been confirmed, but I don't think we've seen proof of life either.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia once again treating humanitarian corridors with their usual respect
https://twitter.com/sarahrainsford/status/1501158993192013825?t=04NzNETvYB-Dan89_dkJjw&s=19
https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1501159292786913284?t=vgGY4s7HCXYNGYvVUbYcIw&s=19
https://twitter.com/KSergatskova/status/1501156669354655744?t=yD_wC365N98wRaR3c6-Z-A&s=19

Mariupol has no cell service and it's been all but out of contact for 3 days.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Archonex posted:

There’s no photo of his corpse, if that’s what you’re asking for.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

The O, V and X guys must be feeling pretty down at this point.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1501173649591701507

The loving vatniks are everywhere

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Moon Slayer posted:

I didn't get a chance to ask when it was first posted, but what was that bald guy with the "Z" t-shirt yelling about in that tweet?

He was yelling "I'm not a Nazi! I'm not a Nazi!" while slowly turning into an Hermann Göring.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

alex314 posted:

It's tentatively back on the table.
Source?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CSM posted:

Source?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fighter-jets-ukraine-poland-deal/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mobby_6kl posted:

The loving vatniks are everywhere

is that legit? because it wouldnt surprise me if it was.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My apologies to every Ukrainian itt

https://twitter.com/uawarinfo/status/1501138291348934657

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Zieg Heil.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
To add to truck chat, there's a video of a partially burnt GAZ-51 truck that's apparently in use by the Zs. Those were post WWII trucks that were rare by the 90s. The one in the video looked quite nice for it's age, the parts that weren't burnt anyway, so could be old stocks pressed into service.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1501071619439087617

:unsmith: Perhaps the tide is turning for the better in Kyiv?

I wonder if this is the result of western made AA systems arriving and getting setup.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The past is prelude
https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1501177412259704840?t=V91w9d-O8SvfDSyYCrzNrg&s=19

Further down you see that this was indeed the contemporary caption - but in originally in pencil across the top of the drawing

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's legit in the sense that I didn't Photoshop it, but it's almost certainly completely unrelated

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Zephro posted:

Yeah one reason nuclear is so expensive is people are extremely anal about even the tiniest amount of radioactivity escaping the plant, but are much happier to live near a coal plant that spews uranium and thorium (both of which are radioactive) and all sorts of other toxic crap directly into the atmosphere as long as it's running :shrug:

edit: basically one of nuclear's biggest problems is it has to actually account for its waste products whereas fossil fuel plants can just dump that poo poo straight into the air and never mind all the consequences from pollution, lung cancer and planet-heating

Nuclear power has four main problems working against it:

1. Cost;
2. There is literally no workable ‘plan’ for thr long term storage of waste (France does a good job recycling its nuclear fuel, but most countries have spent fuel waste sitting in ponds with no real ‘plan’ to store it long term).

Basically, when you have to consult teams of anthropologists when thinking about storing fission power waste so that we can be sure to build signs that will communicate to people 100,000 years in the future not to dig in a location, it’s problematic… I don’t care how much cleaner the power is in the moment;

3. Chernobyl; and
4. Fukushima.

In addition to the spread of fallout from the Chernobyl accident that spread around Europe, there is a literal 1,000 square mile exclusion zone that will be incompatible with human habitation for thousands of years.

This is a big deal and it a very visible deal.

Then there is Fukushima. For years the standard pro-nuclear power line in the West was, “look these Soviet reactors are terrible and dangerous designs, but there is NO WAY a Western light water reactor will ever fully melt down, and even in the case of partial meltdowns, corium would never escape the pressure vessel.

Turns out those statements about the absolute safety of Western reactors were either delusional, OR straight up lies.

Fukushima represents an unmitigated disaster that still hasn’t been addressed, and it in a densely populated part of Westernized country.

Put all of this poo poo together, and it’s really hard for people, generally speaking, to be like, “oh I see the environmental advantages of building super expensive fission reactors where an accident on a scale I keep constantly being told will never happen has already happened twice and could make thousands of square miles around the reactor inhabitable for thousands of years, and whose waste products, which we have no real plans on what to do with, will be dangerous for thousands of years… we should definitely be generating all our power this way!”

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

PederP posted:

Russia is absolutely not occupying all that territory. There is a difference between their lines of advance and what they control/occupy. Lines like that look good on media presentations but it's a poor representation of the actual conditions. Look at the urban centers and how few have been taken. That Kharkiv hasn't fallen is highly indicative of what the state of the offensive is. UAR is wisely not engaging Russian units in pitched battles outside of Urban centers, but that does not mean the Russians have occupied vast swathes of the country.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Vastly overstating how much of that territory is controled by the Russians.

Its as far as Russian troops have been spotted. So they may not have pacified it, but they've advanced to that point at the least.

We're also only 12 days into the invasion. The German blitzkrieg took just under a month to conquer half of Poland. The American lightning invasion of Iraq in 2003 took over a month. Social media inspired instant gratification expectations are distorting things a lot here.

I'm not trying to diminish the logistical, planning and operational failures of Russia's army mind you. But theres something of an echochamber forming in the thread about Russian incompetence that doesn't really reflect the reality - Russia is still making advances, and is likely going to occupy a substantial portion of Ukraine after this at the very least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

Nuclear power has four main problems working against it:

1. Cost;
2. There is literally no workable ‘plan’ for thr long term storage of waste (France does a good job recycling its nuclear fuel, but most countries have spent fuel waste sitting in ponds with no real ‘plan’ to store it long term).

Basically, when you have to consult teams of anthropologists when thinking about storing fission power waste so that we can be sure to build signs that will communicate to people 100,000 years in the future not to dig in a location, it’s problematic… I don’t care how much cleaner the power is in the moment;

3. Chernobyl; and
4. Fukushima.

In addition to the spread of fallout from the Chernobyl accident that spread around Europe, there is a literal 1,000 square mile exclusion zone that will be incompatible with human habitation for thousands of years.

This is a big deal and it a very visible deal.

Then there is Fukushima. For years the standard pro-nuclear power line in the West was, “look these Soviet reactors are terrible and dangerous designs, but there is NO WAY a Western light water reactor will ever fully melt down, and even in the case of partial meltdowns, corium would never escape the pressure vessel.

Turns out those statements about the absolute safety of Western reactors were either delusional, OR straight up lies.

Fukushima represents an unmitigated disaster that still hasn’t been addressed, and it in a densely populated part of Westernized country.

Put all of this poo poo together, and it’s really hard for people, generally speaking, to be like, “oh I see the environmental advantages of building super expensive fission reactors where an accident on a scale I keep constantly being told will never happen has already happened twice and could make thousands of square miles around the reactor inhabitable for thousands of years, and whose waste products, which we have no real plans on what to do with, will be dangerous for thousands of years… we should definitely be generating all our power this way!”

Fukushima is largely overblown, and Chernobyl is not a very good example of reasons why nuclear power is bad. For one thing: Chernobyl happened largely because of outright human negligence, the reactors flaw only amplified what was done.

Fukushima happened because of corruption. TEPCO was warned by GE/Hitachi to rectify the placement of its generators and switchgear. They did not. But despite that, nobody died from the meltdown, and even the released radiation was far less than suspected and with have minimal impact on human life.

Coal and Natural Gas, on the other hand are actively destroying our planet....Nuclear is by far the cleanest and most efficient method to generate power, and that's not even a controversial statement. It has the lowest death per kwhr. The lowest CO2 released, and is, despite Chernobyl and Fukushima, still the safest energy generating method. And we can do stuff with nuclear waste, in most cases high level nuclear waste is not even waste, it can be recycled into new fuel and re-used.

Cost is a stupid reason to not do nuclear, for the most part because being cheap is largely why were in the mess we are in climate wise. Its going to take a lot of investment to dig out of it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 8, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blut posted:

Its as far as Russian troops have been spotted. So they may not have pacified it, but they've advanced to that point at the least.

We're also only 12 days into the invasion. The German blitzkrieg took just under a month to conquer half of Poland. The American lightning invasion of Iraq in 2003 took over a month. Social media inspired instant gratification expectations are distorting things a lot here.

I'm not trying to diminish the logistical, planning and operational failures of Russia's army mind you. But theres something of an echochamber forming in the thread about Russian incompetence that doesn't really reflect the reality - Russia is still making advances, and is likely going to occupy a substantial portion of Ukraine after this at the very least.

Yeah not only this but every time someone tallies up Russian and Ukranian losses they come to the conclusion that Russia has lost a smaller proportion of its starting force than Ukraine has.

The 'good' outcome for Ukraine here is they avoid sudden collapse and are able to fight Russia in a protracted bloody meatgrinder where Russia hits strategic exhaustion first, which does get more likely the more they are able to hit logistics and avoid the mass encirclements we've been expecting to see develop since day one, but that outcome is still weeks and tens of thousands of deaths away.

The official UK assessment from CGS the other day was 'it is no longer impossible for Ukraine to win'. That's not high hopes.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Well China, that's pretty loving ghoulish
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1501154100246986753?t=GexL4M9fZe6hBlqXjfSqMQ&s=19
Yeah yeah journalism and poo poo but how can you pretend this is a war of defense when there are journalists embedded with the invaders well outside the "defended" territory?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Blut posted:

So far the Ukrainian Army has demonstrated not just success, but battlefield dominance while at best Russian forces seem incompetent.

On top of that we know the Ukrainians have been demonstrating an amazing amount of control over information and they have not been secret about husbanding the bulk of the UA’s mechanized force for a strong and decisive counter attack when the time comes.

We also know that the Russians have lost at least 10% of their operational strength—across the board.

So while I am not ready to declare a Ukrainian victory, I am equally puzzled by the continued expression of this notion that Russia will when, when push comes to shove the Russians are better than the Ukrainian army, and just you wait… any moment the real Russian attack will come and completely destroy the Ukrainian Army.

That seems like an incredibly optimistic assessment of Russian capabilities at this point.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yes, the banner takes you to the C-SPAM war thread. (I'm not joking or anything, I did click it when I saw it)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1501071619439087617

:unsmith: Perhaps the tide is turning for the better in Kyiv?

Obviously, no missiles hitting targets is good news, but I don't think its an indicator that the tide has turned. It's important to know how many missiles were fired. If the Russians fired fewer missiles, it's not necessarily as impressive. And the Russians firing fewer missiles isn't necessarily a good sign if they are actually planning to use them effectively in the future in a more coordinated way.

Sorry to be a downer.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Well China, that's pretty loving ghoulish
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1501154100246986753?t=GexL4M9fZe6hBlqXjfSqMQ&s=19
Yeah yeah journalism and poo poo but how can you pretend this is a war of defense when there are journalists embedded with the invaders well outside the "defended" territory?

I feel like this post needs more context. I don't understand what you are saying here at all.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

I feel like this post needs more context. I don't understand what you are saying here at all.

Mariupol is the city that the Russians currently have under seige. It's located on the coast of the Azov sea, far from the Luhensk breakaway region that Russia claims they were "saving" from "Ukrainian genocide"

It's also the site of many previously reported failed humanitarian corridors. Ones that failed due to Russians continuing to fire on them and even mining the designated routes.

China's stated position is that every state has the right to territorial safety and integrity. That position would seem to conflicit with everything happening in Mariupol.

Edit:And this is why I find it ghoulish
https://twitter.com/IMatviyishyn/status/1501181402619990028?t=bS6OTE6ZrW_EWli4iCsTGQ&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 8, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CSM posted:

Source?

The one posted before sound pretty much in line with what I can find in Polish media, with one caveat: we'd really love if it was a NATO decision instead of Poland sovereign one. It also entails promise of having a squadron of NATO fighters relocated to Poland for the time replacement ones get combat ready.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Blut posted:

Russians have been spotted *on roads* that far forward. This map is imo a more accurate presentation of the situation.
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1500862533384941570?t=86KIiikAxKgNgvbk4p_xUQ&s=19

Also Russian equipment losses are accelerating. This isn't a sustainable trend
https://twitter.com/Lee__Drake/status/1500950805595103233?t=z-oivE2iMwMBKBCVHh2daQ&s=19

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

a podcast for cats posted:

To add to truck chat, there's a video of a partially burnt GAZ-51 truck that's apparently in use by the Zs. Those were post WWII trucks that were rare by the 90s. The one in the video looked quite nice for it's age, the parts that weren't burnt anyway, so could be old stocks pressed into service.

The pictures of GAZ-53 and KAMAZ dump trucks hauling soldiers are amusing but at least those are super common. I don't think I've seen a GAZ-51 outside of a museum :psyduck:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Fukushima is largely overblown
Seriously, the post you quoted made it sound like the whole prefecture is a wasteland, it's not. I visited Iwaki in southern Fukushima in 2013, and it was just like any other small Japanese city. IIRC isn't the exclusion zone around the nuclear plant something like a 20km radius?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Mariupol is the city that the Russians currently have under seige. It's located on the coast of the Azov sea, far from the Luhensk breakaway region that Russia claims they were "saving" from "Ukrainian genocide"

It's also the site of many previously reported failed humanitarian corridors. Ones that failed due to Russians continuing to fire on them and even mining the designated routes.

China's stated position is that every state has the right to territorial safety and integrity. That position would seem to conflicit with everything happening in Mariupol.

I don't see how having journalists tag along is opposed to any of that. Didn't CNN have journalists in the Russian camp at Hostomel a while back? Surely what matters is what they're writing/saying, rather than where they are? Now if you can show me that Chinese journalists are releasing pro-Russian propaganda then by all means I'll agree with you.

KitConstantine posted:

Also Russian equipment losses are accelerating. This isn't a sustainable trend
https://twitter.com/Lee__Drake/status/1500950805595103233?t=z-oivE2iMwMBKBCVHh2daQ&s=19

This is only neutral in so much as the person doesn't selectively report on the data they recive. The fundamental collection of that data is absolutely not neutral though. We're in large part seeing what one side wants us to see.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 8, 2022

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Saw this in the map thread and thought it was worth posting here.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

I don't see how having journalists tag along is opposed to any of that. Didn't CNN have journalists in the Russian camp at Hostomel a while back? Surely what matters is what they're writing/saying, rather than where they are? Now if you can show me that Chinese journalists are releasing pro-Russian propaganda then by all means I'll agree with you.

This is only neutral in so much as the person doesn't selectively report on the data they recive. The fundamental collection of that data is absolutely not neutral though. We're in large part seeing what one side wants us to see.

https://twitter.com/Liz_Friden/status/1501171446692864002?t=aEUd3KkSrujc82ZGYzFkSQ&s=19

China seems to be actively suppressing the Ukrainian perspective

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 8, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

See you should just have posted that in the first place rather than assume everyone knows what Chinese media are reporting.

KitConstantine posted:

What is your second paragraph implying? What is wrong with how Ukraine wants us to see about Mariupol or the Russian invasion?

What's 'wrong' is that they are obviously running a massive propaganda campaign, as they should. That also means that we are seeing a lot of one side and not so much of the other, in terms of losses and gains.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

ZombieLenin posted:

So far the Ukrainian Army has demonstrated not just success, but battlefield dominance while at best Russian forces seem incompetent.

On top of that we know the Ukrainians have been demonstrating an amazing amount of control over information and they have not been secret about husbanding the bulk of the UA’s mechanized force for a strong and decisive counter attack when the time comes.

We also know that the Russians have lost at least 10% of their operational strength—across the board.

So while I am not ready to declare a Ukrainian victory, I am equally puzzled by the continued expression of this notion that Russia will when, when push comes to shove the Russians are better than the Ukrainian army, and just you wait… any moment the real Russian attack will come and completely destroy the Ukrainian Army.

That seems like an incredibly optimistic assessment of Russian capabilities at this point.

"battlefield dominance" does not involve retreating from a large portion of your country and having your capital city come under nightly bombardment within the first week of a war breaking out.

You're spending your entire time viewing Twitter videos posted by Ukrainian forces, and seeing Ukrainian assessments of losses. Which are both great, but neither is a fully accurate picture of the war on the ground at this stage. The internet for the last week is very much a case of information asymmetry.

The Ukrainians are it seems doing much, much better than expected which is great. But theres a reason every serious military analyst still says Ukraine is going to lose, unfortunately. The military balance just isn't in question. Its not that theres going to be one "real" Russian attack that will completely destroy the Ukrainian army in one go, its that they can keep advancing slowly, day by day, over the next few months slowly grinding down Ukrainian forces and eating Ukrainian territory.

The best case scenario for Ukraine in a month or two is probably that they retain control of all land west of the Dnieper, and Russia agrees to a ceasefire at that point due to military/financial exhaustion. Which is absolutely a much better outcome from the war than was initially expected, but is still absolutely horrific on a humanitarian level and a crushing military defeat.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Sumy looks pretty levelled. Click through for a bunch more videos in the thread. Videos are all panning shots of buildings, no active fighting and no bodies afaict
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1501125578535145472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

See you should just have posted that in the first place rather than assume everyone knows what Chinese media are reporting.

Or you could have looked into how China is reporting on the story rather than expecting me to spoon feed you. We all want a lot of things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)