Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think "you get a free Edge/Flood if you break TBN" and "you are punished if you fail to break TBN" are both valid interpretations of the skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There's a reason that, prior to EW at least, people would unironically say that TBN was the best tank button in the game. TBN still works the same way now that it did in SB and ShB.

Post EW, it's mostly that other tanks got new buttons that feel really fun and cool to press and Dark Knight kinda didn't.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i never liked TBN tbh

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Kerrzhe posted:

i never liked TBN tbh

Imagine not thinking of this every time you use The Blackest Night.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
As a comparison, looking at my logs on GNB Heart of Corundum's heal heals ~12k if it isn't getting buffed by other abilities (i had one that healed for 26k under Protaction). According to my armoury i have 81K HP in full BiS so TBN would shield for ~20.25k.

HoC gives 27.75% mitigation for 4 seconds, then 15% for 4 seconds. Oblation gives 10% mitigation for 10 seconds.

So the mitigation for HoC is incoming DPS * 1.75, and the mitigation for Oblation is incoming DPS * 1. So for a single use, HoC pulls ahead when the incoming damage is more than ~ 11k per second. I think the average trash pull is much more than that, because i don't think i'd be able to survive for 7 seconds getting hit with no mitigation or heals.

Before the Endwalker mitigation buffs, HoS was 15% for 8 seconds, and DRK didn't have Oblation, so the incoming damage would have to be around 16.9K for HoS to pull ahead, so around 50% more incoming damage.

You also have to take into account other factors. Both TBN and HoC average around 1 cast every 25 seconds when you take into account DRK's mana regen, but if DRK is fresh it can open with 3 of them off the bat and use a 4th soon after. Oblation has 2 stacks but has a much longer cooldown of 60 seconds.

I think another big factor is GNB gets Camouflage that increases parry by 50% and reduces damage by 10% for 20 seconds on a 90 second, whereas DRK gets Dark Mind that does nothing for physical damage. I don't know how much trash does magic damage but usually it looks like they are hitting me. The other is that Superbollide makes you invuln for 10 seconds whereas Living Dead doesn't help at all unless your healer is good at timing benediction or something just before it expires. So GNB effectively has 2 more cooldowns it can use on trash if needed.

One other thing i was wondering, since TBN scales off max HP does it make being undergeared in levelling dungeons more of an issue? The EHP it gives would be the mitigation provided by your gear * 0.25 of your max HP. So being undergeared means you are punished twice. For % mitigations they help cushion it because if you are taking more damage due to worse gear, it's mitigating more damage. I don't know how cure potency scales off gear so i'm not sure how much of a difference it makes for heals.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
A lot of words for nothing.

Do you job quests, get your skills.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd recommend doing your job quests instead of complaining that it was hard to do dungeons without TBN and then writing walls of text about how it isn't even that good, anyways

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Maybe i will when 7.0 comes out. I'm 90 now and don't plan to play that garbage job again unless they rework it. Even ignoring the mitigation, the DPS rotation is duller than ditch water.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd recommend doing your job quests instead of complaining that it was hard to do dungeons without TBN and then writing walls of text about how it isn't even that good, anyways

It's not that it's bad, it's that all the other jobs got buffs to their equivalent that make them really good. It doesn't justify DRK missing a % mitigation cooldown in dungeons anymore.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If the point of this all was to say "I hated DRK so badly that I didn't even do the 60-70 job quests while leveling it, even to get the capstone mit skill, just because I couldn't bear to play DRK any more than I had to," you could have led with that

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Antivehicular posted:

If the point of this all was to say "I hated DRK so badly that I didn't even do the 60-70 job quests while leveling it, even to get the capstone mit skill, just because I couldn't bear to play DRK any more than I had to," you could have led with that

No, i was saying that it's a bit of a relic to lock abilities behind class quests rather than just giving them to you, and the Stormblood ones are particularly bad because you have to go through 10 levels of class quests just to get one ability. I've skipped the Stormblood class quests for most jobs i've levelled to 90, i only mentioned DRK because i recently got it to 90 and it's particularly noticeable that you're missing it, compared to say Paladin missing Passage of Arms or Red Mage missing Verholy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
lmao

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CJ posted:

No, i was saying that it's a bit of a relic to lock abilities behind class quests rather than just giving them to you, and the Stormblood ones are particularly bad because you have to go through 10 levels of class quests just to get one ability. I've skipped the Stormblood class quests for most jobs i've levelled to 90, i only mentioned DRK because i recently got it to 90 and it's particularly noticeable that you're missing it, compared to say Paladin missing Passage of Arms or Red Mage missing Verholy.

lol okay come the gently caress on

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fiye posted:

If your TBN isn't breaking either you're not pulling enough trash, the trash is already dead, or the content is lmao too easy anyway and the DPS loss doesn't matter.

Looking forward to the warrior who does 70-90 without inner release.

A truly, deeply shameful Warrior.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

just boost the dark knight, it auto-completes the job quests for you

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CJ posted:

lmao

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CJ posted:

I thought you were quitting until next savage tier came out.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Maintainence got you down? Come read about White Mages in the Heavensward LP!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought you were quitting until next savage tier came out.

Unfortunately i got a medium house just before Endwalker came out so i'm stuck subbing. I do the daily dungeon and Frontline but yeah it doesn't look like there's any actual content for a while unless i want to try pugging Dragonsong.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

CJ posted:

Unfortunately i got a medium house just before Endwalker came out so i'm stuck subbing. I do the daily dungeon and Frontline but yeah it doesn't look like there's any actual content for a while unless i want to try pugging Dragonsong.

Try doing job quests; those are content.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i may possibly make a poor impulse decision and boost a tank to swap off DPS in my static, i'm sure this is ill advised

that being said. debating warrior or paladin, even though paladins are loving book reading nerds and warriors are cool there definitely seem to be some advantages to both and it's a close decision. warrior is cool and still fell cleaves a lot (although not as much as i would ahve hoped i think?) but also has a cooler weapon and a lot of self healing. i have no idea which tank has better utility, they'rep robably fairly equal i would guess

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Thumbtacks posted:

i may possibly make a poor impulse decision and boost a tank to swap off DPS in my static, i'm sure this is ill advised

that being said. debating warrior or paladin, even though paladins are loving book reading nerds and warriors are cool there definitely seem to be some advantages to both and it's a close decision. warrior is cool and still fell cleaves a lot (although not as much as i would ahve hoped i think?) but also has a cooler weapon and a lot of self healing. i have no idea which tank has better utility, they'rep robably fairly equal i would guess

I prefer PLD over WAR but I'd highesly recommend you pick whatever you're more comfortable with (Considering you're gonna invest in a boost that's probably impossible to pick). WAR gets an insane amount of self healing and holmgang comes off Cooldown faster than it really should but PLD on the other hand gets the ultimate defensive cooldown and there's an amazing trickshot potential with cover.

WAR gets more use from me because I can swap to it and IR + Tomahawk at S ranks for instant free credit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Both PLD and WAR are viable to do all content and the self-healing for WAR can be really nice in certain situations. I main WAR and loving love the entire toolkit and I've been having fun running Savage content using it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PLD also has a significant portion of their rotation as ranged which can help with uptime a lot on specific mechanics if you manage to time things right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dude go do your stormblood quests and get the skills. You can be done with all of them for a job in about 15 minutes if you’re skipping cutscenes. You are missing out on very important skills for all jobs.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

CJ posted:

Because you have to go through 5 or 6 quests just for one ability. Getting one ability per quest is one thing but having to go through 10 levels of quests just for one ability is ridiculous when i just want to do dungeons. For most classes it isn't a big deal, but DRK it's really noticeable that one of your bread and butter abilities is locked behind it.

lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

imo this guy should continue to hategame for the next 2 years, a decision that will surely not backfire

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Thumbtacks posted:

If it is for raiding current tier, Warrior is the most stand out because Holmgang has such a low cooldown it lets you ignore every other tankbuster. For P4S especially this means you can invuln every tankbuster whereas every other tanking pair have to do at least one properly with tank swaps.

I play Gunbreaker, so obviously that biases it somewhat, but doing this tier in PF i will say that probably 90% of the time the other tank was a Warrior so they are super popular. That might be because they are really good in dungeons for levelling, but also i feel like they are very easy to do decent damage with. That's based on switching to Warrior for reclears a couple of times as well as just noticing that they always seems to do decent damage, which i can't say for some of the Paladins i've been with.

As for Paladin getting a ranged phase for better up time, the only time that makes a difference this tier that i can think of is P4S part 2 Act 2. For that, most PF groups use a strat that can keep you off the boss for 5-10 seconds as a tank, but for literally everything else people use strats where you are always in melee range. There is no other point where you're at range for more than maybe 1 GCD to do a mechanic quickly.

CJ fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 8, 2022

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

jalapeno_dude posted:

Imagine not thinking of this every time you use The Blackest Night.

In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. (sorry)

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Considering the new Moogle Treasure Trove, I'll probably just get the headband (even though it won't be shown as a Viera outside of mods), hairstyle (even though I can't use it as a Viera unless it's possibly added in 6.1) and the minions. The Little Ladies Day's reward is nice because small crowns are always good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't play my dark knight because I'm the world's worst tank, but I did the job quests because they were amazing and also TBN is the best button DRK has

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Controlled Chaos was one of the hairstyles they added to Viera in 6.0 wasn't it?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

thark posted:

In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. (sorry)

In blackest day, in brightest night
Uhh... cantaloupe, watermelon, yadda yadda yadda
A superstitious and cowardly lot
With liberty and justice for all!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Denizens of the abyss! From ink of blackest night, I summon you! Darkness to me!

Denizens of the abyss! From ink of blackest night, I summon you! Darkness to me!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

SMH if this isn't what you put into /p every time you use TBN.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Denizens of the abyss! From ink of blackest night, I su

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CJ, you probably could have done your job quests and gotten TBN in the time you spent trying to explain why you didn't do your job quests and why TBN sucks actually.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
CJ should install a launcher addon that does the job quests for you.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Warrior and Gunbreaker are the best tanks for savage because if you don't have Continuation or Inner Release you won't die you'll just have a bad parse

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Warrior and Gunbreaker are the best tanks for savage because if you don't have Continuation or Inner Release you won't die you'll just have a bad parse

Getting a bad parse is worse than dying really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

Because you have to go through 5 or 6 quests just for one ability. Getting one ability per quest is one thing but having to go through 10 levels of quests just for one ability is ridiculous when i just want to do dungeons. For most classes it isn't a big deal, but DRK it's really noticeable that one of your bread and butter abilities is locked behind it.

Dumb dumb lol.