Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
New vid from Chris Cappy

https://youtu.be/FDKH_FxFdrw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I was disappointed when I learned it's like the only word among body parts that's the same in both languages.

Knuckle and foot are close enough to be the same word, and hand is hand. Actually, there are a lot of body part names that are obviously similar when spoken.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Naked Bear posted:

Somebody (Anonymous?) just a day or two ago claimed to have taken control of or at least broken into a Russian satellite.

I don't really have any expectation of that being confirmed, to be honest.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You guys are making me want to revisit my Duolingo German course.

Unrelated, Biden's going to ban Russian oil imports. Cue Chuds simultaneously praising him and whining about gas prices.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How much oil actually finds its way from Russia to the US?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Knuckle and foot are close enough to be the same word, and hand is hand. Actually, there are a lot of body part names that are obviously similar when spoken.

I guess nose and knee as well. OK I was wrong.

A.o.D. posted:

How much oil actually finds its way from Russia to the US?

Russian oil only makes up about 2% of US imports, according to CNN. In Europe, that number is 27%.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

tater_salad posted:

someone said that the satellites were hacked and RUS no longer had acces to them.

Yeah there have been a lot of hacking but disabling satellites is a strategic level attack that in a huge step on the escalation ladder (actually destroying said satellites being even more provocative) and that hasn't happened. The closest I've heard of is the disabling of cell towers and ground based satellite interlinks so the area no longer has 3G coverage.

But it turns out the russians were routing some of their encrypted comms over the 3G cell network to save money.

So thanks to a mix of actions by both sides (destroying cell towers and equipment) and said hacking, you could make a sliver of an argument that some russian satellite communications have been disabled.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

psydude posted:

You didn't read what I said at all, nor the context in which I said it. The conversation was about whether the term Tankie is still applicable today, and it absolutely is.

I don't blame non-interventionists for Putin invading Ukraine, I blame Putin. But a sizeable chunk of people on the right and left wing are going out of their way to avoid assigning any blame to him or his kleptocrats whatsoever. Playing the historical blame game is all well and good (I'd start with the Russian Tsarist aristocracy and work up from there), but it's kind of the same as blaming France and Britain for World War II. Like yeah maybe the treaty of Versailles was a raw deal for Germany, but that doesn't change the fact that they invaded an entire continent and murdered millions of people in response. And it doesn't change the fact that Putin alone is responsible for what's happening right now

I more or less agree with you. I think the tone of a lot of Americans and Europeans is inappropriate given the larger context. I think most of us just disagree about to what extent talking about the larger context “absolves” Putin and whatnot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CBJSprague24 posted:

Unrelated, Biden's going to ban Russian oil imports. Cue Chuds simultaneously praising him and whining about gas prices.

Regarding Duolingo you might want to check if your local library has free subscriptions to Mango. I thought it has better explanations of language rules and it may be available free.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I love the Irish lmao

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

But it turns out the russians were routing some of their encrypted comms over the 3G cell network to save money.

Right this is just plain dumb. Hey lets use 3G networks in a warzone.. what could go wrong?
Also: uses 3g towers for encrypted coms, but also blows up 3g towers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Biden is banning Russian oil to raise US gas prices to prevent additional Freedom Convoys from happening. :tinfoil:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

This is pretty good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Biden is banning Russian oil to raise US gas prices to prevent additional Freedom Convoys from happening. :tinfoil:

how will they expose that the USD is a major ponzi scheme then?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hang on. I haven't hit the dab rig enough this morning...

Yeah. I could see that. Or at least expect to hear about it being an infowars bit.

Guess it's time to

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Russia opted to wage war on the planets ability to sustain life as an economy.

Like seriously they only produce power if it comes from the ground and burns.

Russia has a lot of Nuclear energy too, they built the VVERs that are in Ukraine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Russia has a lot of Nuclear energy too, they built the VVERs that are in Ukraine.

They’re also (sadly) one of the biggest exporters to in terms of commercial sales.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

They’re also (sadly) one of the biggest exporters to in terms of commercial sales.

Yeah, its a major painpoint for me. Hopefully France can replace a lot of that with them announcing they are expanding reactor construction, which hopefully means more core manufacturing.

Losing the VVER as a nuclear market option is gonna be hard to replace, as Russia had basically gotten a full assembly line going.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Regarding Duolingo you might want to check if your local library has free subscriptions to Mango. I thought it has better explanations of language rules and it may be available free.

Foreign Service courses are pretty good and they're free... https://www.fsi-language-courses.org/

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its a major painpoint for me. Hopefully France can replace a lot of that with them announcing they are expanding reactor construction, which hopefully means more core manufacturing.

Losing the VVER as a nuclear market option is gonna be hard to replace, as Russia had basically gotten a full assembly line going.

Yeah, everything I’ve heard about the French nuclear industry is that’s it’s basically the gold standard for what the United States should be and honestly the rest of the world w/r/t nuclear power and the supporting industries. Also I know the Israelis are quite fond of French nuclear material. :v:

That said one thing I want to come out of this whole mess is a movement to create international treaties concerning military operations near active nuclear power plants and at least lay some sort of loving ground rules. I know it’s come up in some Geneva convention related things but nothing I think the US or anyone really signed onto.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Crosspost

mlmp08 posted:

Zelensky is much more open to a potential compromise with Putin now, it sounds.

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1501192869054492672

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/zelenskyy-interview-david-muir-reporting-abc-news-exclusive-83309456

ABC News interview with Zelensky above. He says he is open to security agreements and compromise on "pseudo-republics" and how they will live on, focusing more on the future treatment or migration of pro-Ukrainian people who are inside these areas rather than the borders of these areas themselves. Zelensky assistance against aerial attacks are his greatest problem where he is asking for US help, pointing to bombing, rockets, missiles, shells and that Ukraine does not control the sky. He suggests that the US should be able to assist with [cruise] missile defense without shooting down manned aircraft.

He really leans into the argument that if Ukraine is left on its own, then NATO, etc will be targeted second. He's pretty sarcastic/bitter about the rest of the world "having time" to watch Ukraine lose territory and people and control of its power stations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Why would anyone trust a security agreement with Putin given what is going on right now?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
CNN says Biden to speak soon re: banning Russian oil, gas, coal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have a hard time believing that Putin is going to accept the pre-invasion status quo and an Austrian-like neutrality guarantee after having spent 2 weeks and ten(s) of thousands of his troops on this.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

tater_salad posted:

someone said that the satellites were hacked and RUS no longer had acces to them.

I like to believe theres a lot of HD's that are just chock full of dickpics rn.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Why would anyone trust a security agreement with Putin given what is going on right now?

A shaky deal and a few to many years/seasons of not being shelled is probably better than having cities with millions of people in them surrounded and shelled and starved and cut off from water and power. Winning city sieges has happened plenty of times in history. It has almost always sucked horribly. Mariupol is in extremely dire straits. Odessa is under threat. Kyiv continues to get hit. This war sucks a lot for Ukraine. Maybe there will be no agreement, but Zelensky is stating that he has changed from his stance of "no deal" he adopted earlier in the war.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

You wouldn't but its great for making peace overtures to get russians out of your cities and then you can point the finger when they break the agreements again. Its an olive branch to show that you're reasonable while still being committed to total war against forign invasion. There is no way they stop fighting for their homes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

A shaky deal and a few to many years/seasons of not being shelled is probably better than having cities with millions of people in them surrounded and shelled and starved and cut off from water and power. Winning city sieges has happened plenty of times in history. It has almost always sucked horribly. Mariupol is in extremely dire straits. Odessa is under threat. Kyiv continues to get hit. This war sucks a lot for Ukraine. Maybe there will be no agreement, but Zelensky is stating that he has changed from his stance of "no deal" he adopted earlier in the war.

Russia has already repeatedly offered ceasefires and then FIRED on the evacuation routes and mined them. So why would this time be different?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Russia has already repeatedly offered ceasefires and then FIRED on the evacuation routes and mined them. So why would this time be different?

Ask Zelensky, I am just posting a link to a video of him talking to an ABC reporter and providing a few snippets.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Really not sure about that ending though - assuming Americans will happily sacrifice. As we've seen with COVID and masking - there's still a giant subsection that simply won't inconvenience themselves a tiny bit and surprise, they're also pretty pro-Putin!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder if it was meant more for foreign consumption to encourage people for more support.

Honestly I wouldn’t be sure to say if he did try and do that it might trigger a coup.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Uhhh literally all of Europe and the US have a horrific track record when it comes to antisemitic behavior. Not saying this to excuse Russian conduct but to clarify that it is t really much of a historical point of difference.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

You wouldn't but its great for making peace overtures to get russians out of your cities and then you can point the finger when they break the agreements again. Its an olive branch to show that you're reasonable while still being committed to total war against forign invasion. There is no way they stop fighting for their homes.

They've offered evacuation and 'humane ceasefires' like 3 times now, only to shell the routes and mine them. That's my point. Maybe its for internal consumption or Duma consumption.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

They've offered evacuation and 'humane ceasefires' like 3 times now, only to shell the routes and mine them. That's my point. Maybe its for internal consumption or Duma consumption.

He is talking about compromise to end the war, not a no-fire-zone in an active warzone. The humanitarian corridors and ending the war are two separate topics.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

He is talking about compromise to end the war, not a no-fire-zone in an active warzone. The humanitarian corridors and ending the war are two separate topics.

Yes, but it’s still Russia.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1501228856778588163?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommieGIR posted:

This is my expectation. Zelinsky's making an effort to show that he's being reasonable and open to a peaceful solution. I don't think he has the slightest intention of actually accepting these terms or trusting Russia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, but it’s still Russia.

If the consensus is that it is literally impossible to negotiate any end with Russia, that the only two outcomes are total defeat or total victory, this is very bad news for Ukraine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

If the consensus is that it is literally impossible to negotiate any end with Russia, that the only two outcomes are total defeat or total victory, this is very bad news for Ukraine.

Unfortunately that might be the reality.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1501229838908071939?s=21

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/stealthygeek/status/1500859812317384720?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CommieGIR posted:

There would presumably be a security agreement with the West/NATO that's shy of full NATO membership, but would still offer Ukraine reassurance that they wouldn't be as on their own if Russia were to invade again. And the Ukrainian armed forces would probably be highly subsidized by the West. Couple that with EU membership in the medium term, and this could be an acceptable deal for Ukraine, as opposed to waging a long, disastrous war in their country, with Russia maybe leveling the biggest cities in the country. Already about 5% of the entire Ukrainian population has fled the country, this is already a huge catastrophe for Zelenskyy and his people. Ending it sooner rather than later might be worth some sacrifices. And realistically, I don't see anybody seriously entertaining the notion that Ukraine will regain Crimea and the two rebel "republics".