Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dark Souls 2 is the best game in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gaius Marius posted:

It's absolutely my favorite Dark Souls. I haven't beat Elden Ring yet, and I like Bloodborne better than DS2, but I do love how Elden Ring feels like a combo of BB and DS2

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bloodborne is better than Elden Ring. I like it a lot but I have issues with it. Bloodborne is just perfect and it's a crime against humanity that we don't have it on the PS5 at 60fps.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
All of the Dark Souls games are the best and worst in the series.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not a super XCOM fan but I'm sad that The Bureau got changed away from the initial premise so badly.

Same, but I'm sympathetic to the fact that they were struggling to figure out how to actually make that game.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Doctor Spaceman posted:

All of the Dark Souls games are the best and worst in the series.

Liking Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of liking Dark Souls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elden Ring is basically a sequel to Dark Souls 2 so is it any wonder that it’s the best game ever?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SpiritOfLenin posted:

hbomberguy talked about how even some people who liked HR did not want to play the sequel, and i recognized myself in that. I've even got the game from a humble bundle, but I just haven't bothered with it. I liked my time with the Human Revolution well enough, like I felt it was fine, but nothing special. I also realize that I was really checked out of the plot by the end, I remember that I just didn't care about the final boss at all and was only vaguely aware of why I was shooting at her.

Its a shame about MD, because that game has an amazing art direction and the environments would stop me dead in my tracks so I could just look around.

Just a shame that the game was forced out early and Eidos hasn't been given the chance to finish the story, instead being relegated to the Marvel pit.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I never before realized that the 'Ton Hotel in Deus Ex is a Hilton Hotel with a broken sign. There really is always something new to learn.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mankind Divided is pretty neat for what's there, the problem is it just abruptly stops. It's like a third of a game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Same, but I'm sympathetic to the fact that they were struggling to figure out how to actually make that game.

That's the part that hooked me! Sure the blobs zoom around the room and crawl into people and you gotta shoot them but that's simple.

What does THE OBELISK do though?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

This might be a point that gets raised on the DX:HR Director's Cut edition video, but something that heavily got to me about the worldbuilding of that game was that they spent a lot of time building a chinese city with two layers, one somewhat rundown and full of rundown hallways, dark buildings and another one bathed in sun, full of gardens and a potential festival going around it, named the structure that the upper side Pangu and the director's commentary is like "heeh, we don't know why we named the structure that".
As for the long video ordeal, I honestly don't mind. My roll of streamers and youtubers I follow tends to get bigger and bigger as more people get more exhausted with their own workloads and having just GIANT videos to follow while I work on other things is good for times when everyone decides to take a break all at once, and I have to look elsewhere for entertainment, hence why I have two different backlogs of stuff to burn thru. I do feel like a star about to start fusing iron when I look at stuff like Quinton's Icarly video and I just see nearly all of my frequent backlog drained, DARING me to watch that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sankara posted:

Mankind Divided is pretty neat for what's there, the problem is it just abruptly stops. It's like a third of a game.

It is. They were setting up a trilogy that never got off the ground.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just the other day Square Enix pooped a live-service game made by Platinum with zero advertising, in a season crowded by Elden Ring, Horizon, and Gran Turismo.

The game, Babylon's Fall, looks ten years out of date and bears no resemblance to its first viewing as a slick character-action title at E3 2019.

Square Enix are utter clowns when it comes to publishing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Square Enix as a company basically only exists at this point because they accidentally fell rear end-backwards into having an infinite money printer with their MMO, as the guy they assigned to salvage it turned out to be one of the best project managers in the entire gaming industry and turned a pant-shitted failure of online gaming into a loving juggernaut that subsidizes the entire company by itself. If they hadn’t done that one thing I’m certain the company would have folded in like 2015 from massive mismanagement on all concievable levels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The fan theories behind the name "Final Fantasy" even point to that kind of having been their default state since the 80s.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never been able to wrap my head around why THIS, of all things, was hbomberguy's most controversial take...

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Square Enix as a company basically only exists at this point because they accidentally fell rear end-backwards into having an infinite money printer with their MMO, as the guy they assigned to salvage it turned out to be one of the best project managers in the entire gaming industry and turned a pant-shitted failure of online gaming into a loving juggernaut that subsidizes the entire company by itself. If they hadn’t done that one thing I’m certain the company would have folded in like 2015 from massive mismanagement on all concievable levels.

Somehow they’re killing it with SaGa, Dungeon Encounters and Bravely Default 2 though (also Live A Live coming here) so SE in the last few years have snuck out some cool sleeper stuff under the mountain of trash their big releases have been. I hope FF 14 keeps their little game divisions afloat because they’ve put out some cool stuff.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

From the sounds of things their failing upwards continues even with FF14's success, the 14 devs having to beg and scrape to have their budgets increased as Squeenix siphons off money they should really be investing back into 14 into pet projects and boondoggles.

Telling that the Squeenix's brass were openly horny for NFTs and Yoshi P had to open one of his recent live streams with "We're not putting NFTs in, we're actively against them".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

I've never been able to wrap my head around why THIS, of all things, was hbomberguy's most controversial take...

It's not his most controversial take but it's probably the most controversial take he's done a video of. DS2 is what got me into the series after bouncing off the first game a couple of times so I've always had a soft spot for it and even if it is the weakest entry in the series (not sure that's true) it's still better than the vast majority of games. I guess it's bad in the sense that getting into FromSoft's games kinda ruined games for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the development side of SE has been gradually scraping itself back together into a not-embarrassing state but as a publisher they remain dogshit

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Thi4f was legit terrible feeling and is the one of those I'll disagree on, so much of 4 just felt like corridors leading to corridors and had none of the freedom and stuff that made Thief such a cool feeling series.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Sometimes I wonder how much of the restrictions you saw in reboots of things in the 2010s were engine related. It seemed a lot of them simply weren't built to create big non-linear worlds that also looked modern.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I bought Thief 4 because it was on sale for the price of a eurosaver burger.

Contextual jumping only, frequent choke points for loading, an edgy reboot of Garrett who is nothing like Garrett, points of no return, and Awful, Awful sound-design when the soundscape of the original two games was so good. Deleted off account permanently.

I want Deus Ex to return, but as a Final Fantasy thing with little to no continuity between titles. It's unrealistic for games made by different teams across different decades and different eras to line up to make some perfect timeline. All you do us stifle creativity. That's why Star Wars is so stagnant these days.

I dropped Thief 4 without ever hearing the infamous line about cock rings.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Grondoth posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of the restrictions you saw in reboots of things in the 2010s were engine related. It seemed a lot of them simply weren't built to create big non-linear worlds that also looked modern.

This is why I don't begrudge Thief 3 anywhere near as much as 4, 3 absolutely felt like limitations in place for the need of also developing for the original xbox, while 4 came out two years after the first Dishonored, which felt way more like a Thief game than Thief 4 did.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thi4f is weird because there are setpieces, like a level where you have to run and climb in one and only one direction through a falling apart/on fire district, that feels like it came straight out of an Ubisoft game

and yeah the level design in thi4f is wack, it doesn't feel based on looking glass design at all

thanks for bringing up dishonored though, i had completely forgotten about that in this discussion, dishonored does have the 'you feel in control of your own routing' aspect even if the actual mission completion is limited to just a couple of choices. deathloop was disappointing in this regard because there is only one solution to win the game and there are nowhere near the amount of vertical spaces that dishonored had (and maybe like 2 or 3 apartment buildings you can enter in total?)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Quinton put the Victorious video out and it's 8 hours lol

Here I was thinking HBomb's Deus Ex video was ludicrously too long

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:psyduck:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't even know what you talk about for that long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How does YouTube pay out? Do you get more the longer a viewer watches a video? Can't really blame him for this insanity if he's getting way more compared to his shorter (better) content.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grondoth posted:

I don't even know what you talk about for that long.

Dry reads of Wikipedia plot synopsis if it's anything like his last video.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

Aaaand 5 minutes! I might watch that when I'm done with my reserves of "overly long poo poo to watch".

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I don't know anything about payouts but I've been hearing that over the past few years or so "The Algorithm" has been favouring longer and longer videos for recommending to people. Something about the more watch-hours for your channel/video the more likely it is to be recommended. Someone watching(or falling asleep during) an 8 hour video could be better for getting recs than ten people watching a 30minute one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just the other day Square Enix pooped a live-service game made by Platinum with zero advertising, in a season crowded by Elden Ring, Horizon, and Gran Turismo.

The game, Babylon's Fall, looks ten years out of date and bears no resemblance to its first viewing as a slick character-action title at E3 2019.

Square Enix are utter clowns when it comes to publishing
it rules that platinum, one of the best game developers on this stupid planet, is going to die because garbage idiot publishers keep super loving them over

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

it rules that platinum, one of the best game developers on this stupid planet, is going to die because garbage idiot publishers keep super loving them over

My heart sank when the other day they said (paraphrasing) "Our problem is we make good games. We have to transition into making cash cow skinner boxes"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

platinum's leaders have been openly talking about wanting to get into the GaaS stuff all on their own

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Let's spend forty minutes learning the entire history of one hit single from 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyYAiU4DKUY
I watched this last night and it was great! It led me to his video about the Spice Girls lack of any cultural relevance and it was also a fun and interesting watch.

https://youtu.be/NTt7OSbMgfg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Insurrectionist posted:

This guy is so weird

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Insurrectionist posted:

No. That show is simply not worth MauLer level time length. Nothing MauLer does is either, but especially a tween sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

This guy is so weird

It's....uncomfortable.

Like I guess he probably grew up with it but ehhh......