Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I vote Olivier Richters. Here he is stood next to the aforementioned Martyn Ford (who is 6'8" tall himself) making him look small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
His height is absurd, it's unheard of to be that huge while also being over 7 ft. tall. That's like the size of Andre the Giant.

His wikipedia page says he's in the new Indiana Jones movie, which sounds perfect, he'd be a great Nazi goon.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
And the thing is now you are getting massive guys like that that can actually move as fast as someone way smaller which makes for better action. Ford is a beast (but has so many adorable photos of him with his kids on Instagram) but is also crazy athletic and can keep up with guys half his size in a scene.

Also the amount of food those guys have to eat just to maintain that size is absurd

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

dokmo posted:

The first one is pretty good, it is based on the best of the novels and the action is very well done.

It's got Werner Herzog in it and Tom Cruise destroys a BUNCH of ballsacks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

B-Rock452 posted:

And the thing is now you are getting massive guys like that that can actually move as fast as someone way smaller which makes for better action. Ford is a beast (but has so many adorable photos of him with his kids on Instagram) but is also crazy athletic and can keep up with guys half his size in a scene.

Also the amount of food those guys have to eat just to maintain that size is absurd

Isn't Ford boxing some enormous Iranian guy soon? I read something about him being on about half the calories of his bodybuilding to prep for it. Be interesting to see what has happened to him and probably the fight too, I've seen him beat the poo poo out of a heavy bag but I never had him down as a fighter.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

That's impressive given he was already loving huge.

Guess I know which book I'm starting with. I don't think I've read a really good fist fight before.
Don't, overall it's a lesser entry imo. The first half-dozen are great. They also can be read out of order without losing very much. As far as the later stuff, they go downhill in recent years, and some of the newer ones are bad. Other standouts imo: One Shot, The Hard Way, Bad Luck and Trouble, Gone Tomorrow has a pretty wild full-chapter fight as well iirc, I dare not say more in case you actually read it.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 17, 2022

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

That genuinely caught me off guard in Undisputed. I'm used to fights with big guys being kind of boring with lots of looping haymakers and stuff. Ford can actually kickbox (or at least do a bloody convincing impression of it) and moves well enough opposite Adkins that, while it's not the best fight in the movie, it's a shitload better than I was expecting.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Isn't Ford boxing some enormous Iranian guy soon? I read something about him being on about half the calories of his bodybuilding to prep for it. Be interesting to see what has happened to him and probably the fight too, I've seen him beat the poo poo out of a heavy bag but I never had him down as a fighter.

That fight has been planned and in the offing for a couple of years now. It's most likely not happening. Turns out the Iranian Hulk guy is pretty much all synthol and camera angles and the fight would be even worse than you think it would be

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

rivetz posted:

Don't, overall it's a lesser entry imo. The first half-dozen are great. They also can be read out of order without losing very much. As far as the later stuff, they go downhill in recent years, and some of the newer ones are bad. Other standouts imo: One Shot, The Hard Way, Bad Luck and Trouble, Gone Tomorrow has a pretty wild full-chapter fight as well iirc, I dare not say more in case you actually read it.

Agreed. I think Lee Child is stepping down and turning the book series over to his younger brother. I haven't read the last couple, but they started getting really repetitive. Maybe his younger brother will have some new ideas.

My favorites are Persuader, Gone Tomorrow, and The Hard Way. I'm actually not that big of a fan of the first couple of books (including Killing Floor). Felt like Tripwire is where he started to hit his stride.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I just finished the show- thanks for recommending it. Action wasn't tremendous, but it was 100% enjoyable. Dudes and dudettea who read the books, is he on the spectrum? Maybe I'm just reading into it, hoping my son will see someone with his type of brain be a hero, but he definitely felt autistic to me.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

B-Rock452 posted:

The big change is how good Da Juice has gotten in the last 20 odd years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Looks...good? A little smarmy, but good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IOsk2Vlc4o

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Since everyone here in [chud state] is intent on killing me via covid*, I went ahead and got Netflix and binged the Wu Assassins episodes/movies so I could get a really good Iko Uwais fix. Any word on if there will be another movie?

*I have a crappy immune system and 60% of people here refuse to get vaxxed. I catch it every time my antibodies come close to expiring. Not your problem; don't worry about it. This footnote is just to reduce questions.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

just saw Face/Off for the first time :stare:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

tokenbrownguy posted:

just saw Face/Off for the first time :stare:

:Lightly sweeps hand down your face:

Don't make this weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Face...OFF

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I would love to be able to watch Face/Off again for the first time it's just so insane. I just wish it wasn't like 8 hours long.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

J. Woo: drat, I haven't had a cool flip in a scene in at least ten minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vDPotPo98A&t=232s

:eyepop: I fucken love it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

B-Rock452 posted:

I would love to be able to watch Face/Off again for the first time it's just so insane. I just wish it wasn't like 8 hours long.
It's 2 hours 18. Which is on the higher end of length for an action movie, but still a long way short of the bloated near-three-hour marathons that have somehow become the fashion.

Put it this way, it's only a minute longer than the theatrical cut of Aliens, and it's rare for anyone to say that needed trimming.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
The whole secret high tech prison scene drags the movie down and most of the stuff involving the daughter doesn't need to be there either. Like I said I love the movie but it's just wayyy too long for me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Replace the entire prison scene with the video for Who Dat by JT Money: https://youtu.be/mWxTVS6yAkI

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Payndz posted:

It's 2 hours 18. Which is on the higher end of length for an action movie, but still a long way short of the bloated near-three-hour marathons that have somehow become the fashion.

Put it this way, it's only a minute longer than the theatrical cut of Aliens, and it's rare for anyone to say that needed trimming.

get rid of the will they/won't they incest plot and you'll easily get under 2 hours.

You know what's funny? The best action I've seen lately is loving Peacemaker.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The high tech prison part is amazing because of the reveal of where it is I would never even dream of cutting it.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

yeah the threatened daughter sexual assault / incest was... super gross.

coolest characters were def the GANGERSTERS doing COOL DRUGS and MAKING OUT WITH THEIR SISTERS.

also what was the body count of federal agents!?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

:Lightly sweeps hand down your face:

Don't make this weird.

:goes to sweep my hand down your face... but can't because of FEELINGS:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The extremely vile sex assault stuff is the main reason Castor Troy is such a memorable villain. If he's just a generic crime guy the movie is a lot less interesting, there's no particular reason a cop would have trouble pretending to be a gangster, they're already practically the same thing. But this particular cop isn't a sex criminal and has to amp himself up to be a guy who just goes around licking and groping people

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DeimosRising posted:

The extremely vile sex assault stuff is the main reason Castor Troy is such a memorable villain. If he's just a generic crime guy the movie is a lot less interesting, there's no particular reason a cop would have trouble pretending to be a gangster, they're already practically the same thing. But this particular cop isn't a sex criminal and has to amp himself up to be a guy who just goes around licking and groping people

While at the same time, Castor-as-Archer barely manages to contain himself whenever a woman is around and all everybody thinks is "Huh, he's kind of gross. Must be midlife crisis." It's pretty funny in that the guy could go way further before it would blow his cover because guys have a lot of leeway to be creeps.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
this looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8obK1XfO48

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Apparently Bruce Willis has dementia and is being fed with lines through an earpiece. Sounds abusive

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022...ile-performing/

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 22, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watching various car chases on YouTube and one from The Peacemaker (which I hadn't seen before) came up. Having just rewatched the genuinely high-speed Nice chase from Ronin for the 47th time, it was amusingly obvious that it was one of those cases where the city authorities went "sure, you can film here and have a gunfight and blow poo poo up, but no way are you allowed to break the 30mph speed limit."

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Apparently Bruce Willis has demnti and is being fed with lines through an earpiece. Sounds abusive

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022...ile-performing/

This sorta explains why it feels like he's been phoning it for years.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I guess it's more of a thriller, but I watched Unstoppable (2018) with the beefy guy from Train To Busan (oh yeah, and marvel's Eternals) this weekend. Nice little slow burn, but there were a couple of scenes when he's pushed to the edge that were very enjoyable.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
ambulance was insane, haven't seen this kind of tech surveillance chase scenes since Tony Scott's Deja Vu

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

This sorta explains why it feels like he's been phoning it for years.

I feel mean, but that was my first reaction as well. :(

It's not dementia, though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60934576

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Octy posted:

gently caress

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Octy posted:

I mean I’ve still had watched all of these movies - the most recent being American Siege where his scenes always dragged because he kept stopping g to listen to his ear piece.

Still, I’m dreading all of the Hollywood stars we grew up with getting old and dying. Morgan freeman needs to be made into a cyborg immediately

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The day Harrison Ford dies I'm going to be absolutely crushed. Not really a pure action star but he's been in almost every movie I ever loved as a kid. Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones....crazy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Octy posted:

Afaik aphasia can be a symptom of dementia

Anyone remember Willis popping up in the comment thread on Ain't It Cool News and showing a pic of himself to prove that it was him

Maybe he had those symptoms for awhile

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The drone shots in Ambulance were not very good, which is too bad because it feels like the epitome of Bay's style.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On a whim I picked up Invasion USA from eBay. I'd forgotten the 'joy' of seeing the Cannon logo at the start of an action movie. Your seal of quality!

What a weird movie. It looks expensive and cheap at the same time. It must have had a decent budget for a Cannon flick because a lot of stuff gets blown up or wrecked (a whole street of houses! A shopping mall! A helicopter!) and the final battle has hundreds of extras firing off automatic weapons in a city with dozens of military vehicles and even tanks rolling around, but there's little imagination or style behind the shots - there's a definite "shoot this as quickly as possible" air to it.

The plot is silly (the 'invasion' is like 50 guys who spread out across the entire continental US yet bring the whole nation to its knees by blowing up random houses and performing drive-bys), and Chuck Norris spends a chunk of the movie teleporting to where bad guys happen to be and shooting them. There's also an odd cursory subplot with a female reporter that made me wonder if she originally had more of a thing with Norris' character, only for 90% of it to be cut in the edit.

Norris himself is someone I've never understood the appeal of. Maybe in Wanker, Texas Ranger he displayed some actual personality and charm, but in every movie I've seen him in he's an unexpressive slab of gristle with a face like an alien prosthetic from Deep Space Nine with a beard stuck to it. He barely even does any martial arts here, just a couple of kicks and punches. Compared to Sly and especially Arnold from that period, he's a non-entity.

Overall a strange, cynical film with the apparent message "Americans are lazy, complacent, awful people who deserve to be invaded". I enjoyed the random goons who looked like Egon Spengler and Will Ferrell, though.

One thing: I could have sworn a clip from this on Film 8X back in the day had Norris standing in the back of a moving pickup blasting other cars with his twin Uzis, but that doesn't happen. Am I mixing it up with another Norris movie, or just conflating it with Cobra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Payndz posted:

. It looks expensive and cheap at the same time.

This is such a great way to describe the experience of watching any cannon movie.