Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lose even more weight, shave your head, and claim to battling cancer so that no one will question your “extreme” protective measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I think the debate that starts every time Kylaer posts telling someone to trust their respirator comes down to one thing:

There are two groups in this thread, those who have little covid dissonance and those who have a great deal of covid dissonance.

I'm in the first group (and I suspect Kylaer is as well). I live alone, my work is fine with me wearing my respirator, and I'm not self-conscious about wearing a respirator. I get all my news (covid and otherwise) from these forums, so my only actual exposure to 'covid is over' is second hand and in a specific context that contradicts it. I have a great deal of control over my environment and my personal safety.

I find Kylaer's posts reasonable and reassuring. I trust my respirator, and it means I have found a balance that I think is both safe and sustainable in the long term.

But for people in the second group - people with family members or friends or jobs pressuring them to return to 'normal', people who are in environments where wearing a respirator gets you gawped at (and especially people used to blending in as normal and not used to being singled out in public). People who follow broader news sources, even if it's just tiktok or twitter or other social media. People who are constantly recieving the message, from multiple sources, that they are acting crazy -

For these people, this thread may be the single sole counterbalance to the entire world-gone-mad telling them they're crazy and overreacting. They don't come to this thread wanting to hear 'calm down and just do whatever, it'll be fine' even with the completely correct caveat that they just need to wear their respirator.

They want reassurance that they aren't crazy to still care at all, that they're right to tell their partner that they can't visit friends (because they know that the first few times the respirator will be fine, but eventually there will be a request to 'not wear your weird mask this time, can't you just use an N95 like a normal person?' and then it will be a fight. Or worse, they won't have the energy left to fight, and they'll have so thoroughly normalised visiting friends that not going would be an even worse fight, and so they downgrade their PPE 'just this once'...

There's no real good solution to this, except for people in that second group to consider putting Kylaer on ignore. Not as a rejection of them as a poster, but just a recognition that Kylaer's posts aren't going to be great for them given their circumstances.

And Kylaer, it might be good if you could ease up a little on it. Not everyone who posts in this thread about missing simple pleasures is just playing a martyr. Some of them are drawing an extremely hard line (much harder than 'necessary') because they've got more to their overall maths than just 'keep covid physically out of my lungs in this moment'. They just want people to commiserate with them about how living through a pandemic sucks. If it annoys you to read it, you could probably also just selectively ignore people and not miss out on much actual covid content.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ordered a pack for my mandatory meetings in May, even though I'm supposedly 100% work from home. Looks more stylish than white.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

^^e I'm best man at both lol

ha same

I'm just gonna do the ceremony in an aura and then dip out. if they gotta problem with it they can find someone else to do it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:waycool:

Serf
May 5, 2011

i had a crown fall out and had to go to the dentist to get it put back in. they were very hostile towards my respirator for some reason. the dentist was like "people are already nervous when they come in here, can you imagine what they'd think if i walked in wearing that?" lmao

so anyways i probably have covid now, rip

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m serious about going to an amusement park when cases are lower. I want to ride some rollercoasters.

Go when the park is dead, sit in the front, and wear an N95. The mass of an EHMR is a liability under heavy acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMUq838o-0

Maybe I should get a pack of these for vomit resistance.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Serf posted:

i had a crown fall out and had to go to the dentist to get it put back in. they were very hostile towards my respirator for some reason. the dentist was like "people are already nervous when they come in here, can you imagine what they'd think if i walked in wearing that?" lmao

hahaha. I'm losin' it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Potato Salad posted:

first off, congratulations not only for having friends, but for legitimately being a really good friend

second off, holy poo poo 70 lb is amazing

third off, good luck to you with that second wedding, and I'm glad that the first isn't going to make a stink about you protecting yourself

I'm serious about those BOTNs, by the way. They're also one of the few things you can buy off of Amazon because they come individually wrapped and you can check their lot numbers. If you find Auras to be too small, try an L and XL

thank you and thank you, and yeah i'd almost certainly have to go for an XL

kreeningsons posted:

go full prom aesthetic and match your tie, pocket square, and waistcoat to the magenta filters

thinkin bout it, I do like purple/magenta already

Kylaer posted:

Put half a bowtie over each one :hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bob Socko posted:

Ordered a pack for my mandatory meetings in May, even though I'm supposedly 100% work from home. Looks more stylish than white.

I wish I’d ordered the black, trifold, Aura‐style F95B when it was briefly available.

This was back before Omicron was known.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

HazCat posted:

I think the debate that starts every time Kylaer posts telling someone to trust their respirator comes down to one thing:

There are two groups in this thread, those who have little covid dissonance and those who have a great deal of covid dissonance.

I'm in the first group (and I suspect Kylaer is as well). I live alone, my work is fine with me wearing my respirator, and I'm not self-conscious about wearing a respirator. I get all my news (covid and otherwise) from these forums, so my only actual exposure to 'covid is over' is second hand and in a specific context that contradicts it. I have a great deal of control over my environment and my personal safety.

I find Kylaer's posts reasonable and reassuring. I trust my respirator, and it means I have found a balance that I think is both safe and sustainable in the long term.

But for people in the second group - people with family members or friends or jobs pressuring them to return to 'normal', people who are in environments where wearing a respirator gets you gawped at (and especially people used to blending in as normal and not used to being singled out in public). People who follow broader news sources, even if it's just tiktok or twitter or other social media. People who are constantly recieving the message, from multiple sources, that they are acting crazy -

For these people, this thread may be the single sole counterbalance to the entire world-gone-mad telling them they're crazy and overreacting. They don't come to this thread wanting to hear 'calm down and just do whatever, it'll be fine' even with the completely correct caveat that they just need to wear their respirator.

They want reassurance that they aren't crazy to still care at all, that they're right to tell their partner that they can't visit friends (because they know that the first few times the respirator will be fine, but eventually there will be a request to 'not wear your weird mask this time, can't you just use an N95 like a normal person?' and then it will be a fight. Or worse, they won't have the energy left to fight, and they'll have so thoroughly normalised visiting friends that not going would be an even worse fight, and so they downgrade their PPE 'just this once'...

There's no real good solution to this, except for people in that second group to consider putting Kylaer on ignore. Not as a rejection of them as a poster, but just a recognition that Kylaer's posts aren't going to be great for them given their circumstances.

And Kylaer, it might be good if you could ease up a little on it. Not everyone who posts in this thread about missing simple pleasures is just playing a martyr. Some of them are drawing an extremely hard line (much harder than 'necessary') because they've got more to their overall maths than just 'keep covid physically out of my lungs in this moment'. They just want people to commiserate with them about how living through a pandemic sucks. If it annoys you to read it, you could probably also just selectively ignore people and not miss out on much actual covid content.

An excellent post full of understanding. It felt good to read this as someone in the situation you described re: trying to balance adequate PPE without further alienating myself from people I'm very close to who do exactly as you said - ask me gently if I'm ready to relax my mask wearing in the car, or in crowded outdoor spaces.... And they know that while I'm not a medical professional, I work with medical records all day and I see what this thing does to people. And keeps doing to them. Regardless of my personal risk profile I don't want to inadvertently give those outcomes to someone else.

I don't fault anyone who's out there living the respirator life with no concerns and shrugging at all the weird looks. I'm rooting for you!

I just want that too. :sigh:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

As someone with the mental capacity of a 2-year old, I yearn to see my people set free.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

Repeating some of my recent posts and apologies for the length, but summarized recent PASC studies for my own understanding and thought my notes might be of interest here. Would appreciate if people could point to any large scale studies of PASC impacts I missed.

PASC overview
-PASC encompasses a range of conditions that might occur after a COVID infection
-conditions include cardiovascular, neurological and immune disorders
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2021.698169/full
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/02/19/science/long-covid-causes.html
-several large scale studies and labor force analyses attempt to evaluate PASC rate, severity
-ignoring COVID-related mortality as it’s better understood, effectively reduced with vaccines

PASC rate estimates from major studies
-focus here on PASC rates for mild cases in <65 year olds where possible
-ideally account for vaccination impact, most large completed studies done pre-vaccine

Post-acute symptoms, new onset diagnoses and health problems 6 to 12 months after SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwide questionnaire study in the adult Danish population
-large scale study, 152880 participants, evaluated at 6-12 months, pre-vaccine availability
-long-term symptoms maximal for 30-60 year old
-”significant” post-infection symptoms:
-~40% risk of physical exhaustion, 35% risk of mental exhaustion
-~28% chance of memory and concentration issues
-~8% fatigue

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients
-followed up 312 home-isolated (non-hospitalized) Norwegian patients from the early pandemic
-study found that 52% (32/61) of home-isolated young adults, aged 16–30 years, had symptoms at 6 months
-”significant” post-infection symptoms:
-impaired concentration (13%, 8/61)
-memory problems (11%, 7/61)
-fatigue (21%, 13/61)

Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19
-157000 VA patients, predominantly older white males, with contemporary and historical control groups
-study period 2020-2021, pre-vaccine
-4.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome in entire cohort
-roughly 2.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome for mild cases

Six-month sequelae of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection: a retrospective cohort study of 10,024 breakthrough infections
-10024 vaccinated individuals, 9479 matched against unvaccinated controls
-evaluated pre-Omicron
-two doses had no impact on “long-COVID” features, several other disorders
-this study might be more focused on evaluating difference in long-term outcomes between vaccinated vs unvaccinated and not so much the absolute rates
-”significant” post-infection symptom:
-60% outcome of long-COVID (any) by day 150, vaccinated or not (!?!?!?)
-cognitive symptoms 10% at 150 days, vaccinated or not
-fatigue 20% at 150 days, vaccinated or not

Indirect PASC impacts from labor statistics

Is ‘long Covid’ worsening the labor shortage?
-assumes ~100 million workers infected by Oct 2021
-roughly estimates ~1.1 million people out of work due to long COVID at any given time

COVID-19 Likely Resulted in 1.2 Million More Disabled People by the End of 2021
-additional 1.2 million people in the US civilian institutional population with a registered disability in 2021 compared to 2020
-total labor force without disability is down ~2 million since the start of the pandemic
-large increase in workers with disability likely due to PASC, ~1% of infected workers

Summary
-multiple PASC research studies suggests >10% chance of “significant” long-term impact from COVID infection, esp fatigue and cognitive symptoms (estimates vary around 10-20%)
-additional risk of cardiovascular disease after mild infection is ~2.5%
-vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no effect, depending on the condition)
-vaccine protection has likely not improved with Omicron dominant given lower protection against symptomatic infection
-labor statistics suggest >1% of infected workers either disabled or too sick to continue working at least temporarily
-current overall picture is >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds

Outstanding Questions/TBD
-is seriosu PASC post-COVID infection a ~1% or a ~10% outcome? PASC and labor statistic studies disagree
-is risk of PASC cumulative with reinfection? Likely yes, given PASC likely arise from factors associated with symptomatic infection
-are reinfections likely? Likely yes, given short vaccine induced neutralizing antibody lifetime and continued viral evolution
-how do PASC risks compare with other common risks? Likely significantly worse for people getting regularly infected (teachers, HCWs, parents with children in school)
-are there long term prospects for improved treatments and reduction of risks? ????

great post ty for sharing :)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serf posted:

That's funny because if my dentist was wearing a respirator I would feel reassured. Also, if it makes you feel better, I went to a doctor's office where they gave me a hard time for wearing an N95.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 8, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

what does this mean

Serf
May 5, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

That's funny because if my dentist was wearing a respirator I would reassured. Also, if it makes you feel better, I went to a doctor's office where they gave me a hard time for wearing an N95.

yeah my reply was "i would feel more comfortable if you were wearing a respirator" but he just kinda laughed it off

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what does this mean

Folks stopped taking the train to work when COVID hit and they never came back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

I’m serious about going to an amusement park when cases are lower. I want to ride some rollercoasters.

Go when the park is dead, sit in the front, and wear an N95. The mass of an EHMR is a liability under heavy acceleration.

I live like 20 minutes away from King's Island, and in the before times I would get a season pass, and just kill a boring Saturday or Sunday morning. The best times to go were the overcast, even slightly misty or damp days, because the only people there were basically part of some planned group function. There were no lines and it was possible for me to ride everything I wanted to about 3 times before noon.

I wonder if they'd let me wear my full face respirator on the coasters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Iron Crowned posted:

I wonder if they'd let me wear my full face respirator on the coasters.

I doubt that there is specifically a rule against it, so there is good chance that they won’t care.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what does this mean

It's the amount of rider traffic for NYC's Grand Central Station

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

jesus christ

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I'm looking at the CDC Wastewater Tracker and scrolling through each state.

These all show huge increases in COVID over past two weeks

Multiple Counties in Colorado (Broomfield, Weld, San Miguel, Larimer)
Clearwater, Florida
Augusta, Georgia
The Connecticut/NY border is a mess
Chicago is a loving mess + plus a dozen other counties
Reno County Kansas
Farmington, Maine
Reno, Nevada
New York City (10% inc all over cities)
Greensboro, Raleigh and two other NC counties
Toledo, Ohio and two other counties
The entire state of Rhode Island
Beadle COunty, SD
El Paso and Dallas Texas
Hanover County Virginia
Snohomish County, Washington
3 Counties in West Virginia
Racine and Green County, Wisconsin

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In other cities like DC it pretty much imploded the budget of the mass transit system.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

etalian posted:

In other cities like DC it pretty much imploded the budget of the mass transit system.

Yet another example of why the powers that be want to get rid of working from home.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

Yet another example of why the powers that be want to get rid of working from home.

The powers that be would get rid of or privatize public transit in a minute and we'll see the MTA abandoned in our lifetime.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insanite posted:

release cycle is wrapping up at work.

qa guy who was just out for a while with covid is forgetting conversations we had a week ago.

probably nothing.

mild early onset dementia, as a treat

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

Actually at any given moment in time there are genuine cancer cells in your body. It's just that they end up getting properly dunked on by your body's apoptosis machine or they kill themselves or just don't do anything and die off. I think a big problem is that everyone envisions infections as some sort of ice nine strange matter poo poo where just a single viron getting in means it's all ogre. That's not how biology works.

on a long enough timescale every single one of our body’s cells yearns for the void (cancer)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
BA.2 is now 11.6% of all sequences in the United States. It was 6.6% last Tuesday, 3.8% 2 weeks ago.

Region 1: 24%
-Massachusetts has seen a 17% increase in Hospitalizations over the past two weeks
-Maine is up 10%
-Connecticut and NH hospitalizations are up 7%

Region 2: 17.3%
-Wastewater in NYC is up dramatically and admissions doubled over the weekend
-New Jersey has seen a 10% increase in Hospitalizations
Region 3: 10.2%
-West Virginia is having Wastewater issues galore
-Maryland has a 12% increase in Admissions over the past two weeks
-Delaware hospitalizations are up 22%
Region 4: 7%
-Georgia is exploding, 55% increase in hospitalizations
-Kentucky admissions up 15% in the past 5 days, Hospitalization totals up 13%
-MS up 7%
-NC up up 7 and a lot of COVID in waste water
-TN up 28%
Region 5: 9.7%
-COVID wastewater is up huge in Chicago, parts of Ohio and Wisconsin
-Hospitalizations up 11% in IL, 9% in IN, 12% in MN, 10% in OH, and 15% in WI

Region 6: 9.7%
-Case positivity is up big in New Orlean
-Dallas and El Paso seeing jumps in Wastewater
-Texas hospitalizations up 14%

Region 7: 6.0%

Hospitalis are up
8% in KS,
12% in MO
13% in NE

Region 8: 8.2%

Hospitalizations up
40% in Utah
17% in Wyoming
8% in SD
16% in ND
10% in MT
14% in CO

Region 9: 16.3%
-80% increase in admissions in Hawaii
-Reno has huge COVID problems in the wastewater
-10% Increase in hospitalizations in Arizona
3% in California

Region 10% 14.9%
49% Hosp Increase in Alaska with 13% admission increase
16% in Idaho with 40% increase in admissions
6% in Washington

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
jokerfication intensifies

https://twitter.com/ValleyReporter/status/1501246438524739585

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The powers that be would get rid of or privatize public transit in a minute and we'll see the MTA abandoned in our lifetime.

NYC power brokers: I am tired of trains, these people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their turnstiles and stations.

Also NYC power brokers: Why is traffic here so awful

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

i know basically nothing about rowers other than "they exist" and my mind is currently blown that "moving them around" is a thing. maybe i'm thinking of a different style of machine, but i feel like the ones i saw looked EXTREMELY heavy and pretty much permanently installed. i can't remember where this was, maybe at the gym at my college or something for their crew team.

anyway, good poo poo, rowing does seem like a good combo of cardio + strength, i'll give some of those things a look. i'll maybe take this derail to the swole thread if i need more, thanks all

it’s rowing team not crew team. a crew is a team

if you are going to start using a erg pay attention to form a lot that is the most important thing. you want to mimic as much as possible an actual rowing stroke which takes practice as it’s not innate. they are very effective excessive cardio wise on par with swimming . it’s more calories per hour than running.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

about half the people are still wearing masks at the grocery store, I'm impressed. maybe we're just used to it as the cucks we are

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

I am wearing this now. Pretty comfortable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

it’s rowing team not crew team. a crew is a team

if you are going to start using a erg pay attention to form a lot that is the most important thing. you want to mimic as much as possible an actual rowing stroke which takes practice as it’s not innate. they are very effective excessive cardio wise on par with swimming . it’s more calories per hour than running.

This channel is pretty good at giving beginner erg tips:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DarkHorseRowing

Concept2 also has some good beginner videos how to avoid form issues like "chicken wing" rowing:
https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Serf posted:

dentists are, and have always been, grifting pieces of poo poo who charge prices that would be illegal in other countries so they can buy a 3rd house or bigger gun to go shoot endangered animals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rowing is insane. I can’t believe i did it. so much pain

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

euphronius posted:

as a middle aged runner, have you considered: pain good?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Well most of the pain is from things like a max effort set that builds up the lactic acid in muscles.

So far I've been injury free after starting erg rowing 2020

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

good posts all around

Only Your Respirator Trust

i've been exposed several times to covid+ people at my workplace and my secure click has done the job of protecting me

but also lol i got kids in school/daycare

the dice keep rolling lmao

:theroni:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah that’s what I meant

from interval training

worst one that I still remember is 12 x 2:30 on :30 off at race pace

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 8, 2022