Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
OLED switch vs base switch is the difference between the Gameboy Advance and the Gameboy Advance SP. If you’re old enough to remember what Im talking about, then the choice is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Morter posted:

I got the ACNH Switch in Oct 2020 and I mainly play handheld. You folks are making me want the OLED. Stop it. :mad:

Speaking as someone who literally just dropped the coin to upgrade maybe a month and a half after getting the vanilla Switch and is kicking himself because he should have gotten the OLED to begin with, no, I refuse to stop. :colbert:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bust Rodd posted:

OLED switch vs base switch is the difference between the Gameboy Advance and the Gameboy Advance SP. If you’re old enough to remember what Im talking about, then the choice is clear.

So a must-have improvement for your poor eyes and pockets then?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's more like ags-001 vs ags-101

And if you know what the gently caress that means, you're a nerd but also you know you need one

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

It's more like ags-001 vs ags-101

And if you know what the gently caress that means, you're a nerd but also you know you need one

Agreed. Original Switch was perfectly serviceable on its own so you don't really think you need the OLED until you see one in person. OG GBA screen was terrible and everyone knew it needed an upgrade as soon as it came out. People were selling backlight mod services for it even back in 2001.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is the OLED model as hard to get as a PS5? And does anyplace do trade-ins for older switch hardware?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Not even close, OLEDs are pretty available though you might need to order one a few weeks ahead of delivery

Gamestop is always running trade in specials

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
OLEDs are easy to get because they are still using chipsets from 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the scalper price is only like $50-100 above MSRP last I checked which is a good indication that they aren't that hard to get

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There are times when the OLED is harder to get but for the most part I can regularly see it in stock at actual brick and mortar stores and online shops.

The Xbox Series S is surprisingly easy to get a hold of too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cos nobody wants that poo poo lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like it. It is small

Also coming from a switch 30fps Cyberpunk might as well be a NASA supercomputer

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1501227918177054720

Monster Hunter Rise free trial starting on Friday.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Series S is awesome, I love mine. But anyway, I should wander into GameStop and see what they've got going on. I presume they let you transfer your saves and downloads to the new console?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

External Organs posted:

The Series S is awesome, I love mine. But anyway, I should wander into GameStop and see what they've got going on. I presume they let you transfer your saves and downloads to the new console?

If you have Switch Online (you should) all your saved are backed up in The Cloud (why they don’t use Lakitu or at least a Foo to represent that is a missed opportunity), and downloads are tied to your Nintendo account and can be redownloaded from the eShop.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

If you have Switch Online (you should) all your saved are backed up in The Cloud (why they don’t use Lakitu or at least a Foo to represent that is a missed opportunity), and downloads are tied to your Nintendo account and can be redownloaded from the eShop.

I do have switch online! Not the extra fancy N64 version though.

And yeah wtf Lakitu is probably the best cloud branding of all time, what is Nintendo even doing. They're doomed!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

if you were to pick one of the packs first, would you go with Baldur's Gate 1/2 or Planescape Torment/Icewind Dale first?

my heart says Placescape

Planescape was the best written cRPG of all time until Disco Elysium came out, so it's an excellent choice, but you are basically picking between two near GOAT class games.

I am finding these games are crashing every 3 to 4 hours on the Switch, so make sure you are saving regularly! They load up super quick and it autosaves regularly, so it's not a big deal.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I could literally get an OLED switch today if I wanted...hng.

Xenomrph posted:

So I don't have to do an extra song and dance with regards to ACNH's cloud saving or whatever it talks about on the title screen? :ohdear:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Morter posted:

I could literally get an OLED switch today if I wanted...hng.

So I don't have to do an extra song and dance with regards to ACNH's cloud saving or whatever it talks about on the title screen? :ohdear:

If you have animal crossing you should go in and say so to the person your buying your OLED from. If it’s GameStop they will walk you through the transfer, they did it for my sister in law

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know everyone plays differently and all, but my enjoyment of Doom 2016 increased from "holy shiiiiit" to :piss: :brexit: :piss: :black101: when I set my gyro aiming sensitivity pretty much to the max.

I am both ripping AND tearing, and it is loving glorious.

Also, wow, 60+gb on Steam vs, what... 18gb on Switch? I realized there's a graphic downgrade but :drat:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know everyone plays differently and all, but my enjoyment of Doom 2016 increased from "holy shiiiiit" to :piss: :brexit: :piss: :black101: when I set my gyro aiming sensitivity pretty much to the max.

I am both ripping AND tearing, and it is loving glorious.

Also, wow, 60+gb on Steam vs, what... 18gb on Switch? I realized there's a graphic downgrade but :drat:

It’s a travesty they never back-ported gyro aiming to PS4/5, it’s soooo good on Doom switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Downloading the MH: Rise trial... Is there anything specific I should aim to do in it this week to get the most out of it all? I wanna experience what it is that a) apparently isn't in the demo and b) what fans seem to really love about the game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the playstation 5 is as real as the switch pro

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Downloading the MH: Rise trial... Is there anything specific I should aim to do in it this week to get the most out of it all? I wanna experience what it is that a) apparently isn't in the demo and b) what fans seem to really love about the game.

If you have Online and the trial lets you, try a little bit of both village and online. They play very differently and are both fun in their own ways.

Don't ignore your wirebug moves, both the attacks and the movement stuff. Rise is very much a wirebug game. The weapon moves are almost all very useful and wirebug falling after taking damage is the most useful defensive move at your disposal.

Feel free to grab the Black Belt armor and the defender weapons if you want to start out with a nice setup, but know that they are designed to bee-line you through the early game gear progression, and that is going to be a big part of the game if you get into it (the building your own loadouts part, which can actually be a lot of fun).

The MH thread is a little sleepy right now but will pick up with the expansion. The OP has a ton of info and weapon tutorials, and the thread itself is crazy helpful and made up of some deep, institutional knowledge on the series.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962895&pagenumber=1

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It’s a travesty they never back-ported gyro aiming to PS4/5, it’s soooo good on Doom switch

They didn't even put gyro aiming in the PS version of Doom Eternal did they? Still only on Switch for some reason

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

They didn't even put gyro aiming in the PS version of Doom Eternal did they? Still only on Switch for some reason

They did not, it's baffling

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Other consoles didn't have a game like breath of the wild to show the masses the beauty of gyro aiming. The poor fools just do not know that they want it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

gyro aiming is bad actually

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it sucks. I turn it off in everything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bust Rodd posted:

Please post every time it slips out of the cradle and smashes you in the face

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1501174625933438989?s=21

Come on, Eurogamer, just call them Italians.

Been using a gooseneck tablet holder for two years now and it hasn't happened yet.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

When you start talk to everyone with a speech bubble above there head to get quests and tutorials out of the way, then hold "- " to pull up the fast travel menu and go to the buddy plaza. In the buddy plaza at the edge of the water is a boat that will take you to the training area. The training area has a equipment box you can use to switch out your weapon, play with the different weapons and see which one you enjoy playing with the most. Once you access the training area once you can fast travel here whenever you're in the village.

You can also pull up the fast travel menu and if you see a speech bubble next to the area name someone wants to talk to for a quest or to give you an item.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Please post every time it slips out of the cradle and smashes you in the face

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1501174625933438989?s=21

Come on, Eurogamer, just call them Italians.

This looks like.. baby Mario maybe?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thats a dick and balls wearing a hat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats a dick and balls wearing a hat

turn on your gaming CRT

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Bloop posted:

turn on your gaming CRT

Ok

*all 16 fans turn on at once circulating hundreds of degrees of dry heat around my tiny room that kills me and converts my remains to jerky in less than six minutes*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you need to get piano movers to put this on your desk

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 8, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

flavor.flv posted:

*all 16 fans turn on at once circulating hundreds of degrees of dry heat around my tiny room that kills me and converts my remains to jerky in less than six minutes*

nintendo ftw

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have a link to the one you bought?
https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Gooseneck-Nintendo-Samsung-Overall/dp/B01AUQ33LG/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I tried it in HFW and turned it off almost immediately.

Who are these people who keep their controller perfectly still except when aiming?

flavor.flv posted:

Ok

*your desk you've had since you were 16 and is falling apart creaks and moans when placing it on the desk, and you hear some tiny cracks in the particle board form, but only as you walk closer to the monitor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

you need to get piano movers to put this on your desk

Also your desk needs to be made out of I-beams.