Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Hrist posted:

"My spirits are ever so low, Bart. But my reddit karma has never been higher! Once I can exchange it for dogecoin..."

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
drat that "new" voice actor for Martin sounds awful as well, do the Simpsons pay you more if you develop extra vocal nodules or something?

And not sure if Martin is incel or volcel tbh

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I see two therapists and they email each-other about me would have been an OK throw away joke if it just ended there. But they have to get a focusyn reference nobody asked for in there along with some other lovely puns.

When you realize that so many of the jokes in these modern episodes are two or three lines too long it’s really hard to “unsee”

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2022

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
They should retire characters when their VAs die.

Slowly, Springfield will depopulate itself as characters suddenly blink out of existence. Whole cohorts of seemingly unrelated lives vanishing in an instant.

At last, Marge will huddle alone in the wrecked shell of 742 Evergreen Terrace, everyone she ever knew long gone.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

WeaponX posted:

I see two therapists and they email each-other about me would have been an OK throw away joke if it just ended there. But they have to get a focusyn reference nobody asked for in there along with some other lovely puns.

When you realize that so many of the jokes in these modern episodes are two or three lines two long it’s really hard to “unsee”

It's way easier to write out a couple of weak riffs on the same joke than to come up with a new angle that still fits the scene.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

porfiria posted:

Slowly, Springfield will depopulate itself as characters suddenly blink out of existence. Whole cohorts of seemingly unrelated lives vanishing in an instant.

At last, Marge will huddle alone in the wrecked shell of 742 Evergreen Terrace, everyone she ever knew long gone.

Lisa? Bart? Anybody Home?

I'm Alone..

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW ALONE YOU ARE GARFIELD MARJORIE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Anti-psychiatry episode? Did they let Nancy Cartwright write this one?

They've always been pretty anti-med.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Julie Kavner croaks

new thread title

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

porfiria posted:

I'm surprised they let Phil Hartman's characters go with dignty. They could have had decades of populating crowd scenes, getting trapped with the family, and reusing their classic storylines until they've each gotten their own Italian Bob episode and we forget why we loved them.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm surprised they let Phil Hartman's characters go with dignty. They could have had decades of populating crowd scenes, getting trapped with the family, and reusing their classic storylines until they've each gotten their own Italian Bob episode and we forget why we loved them.

It’s only because it was 1998. If it was soulless-Disney Simpson’s when he died you better believe there would be no dignity in sight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has Sideshow Bob showed up again since the Italy episode?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat that "new" voice actor for Martin sounds awful as well, do the Simpsons pay you more if you develop extra vocal nodules or something?

And not sure if Martin is incel or volcel tbh

hes 10

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

So many times. He was genetically enhanced with cricket genes in one of them. It wasn't even a Halloween episode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

No Dignity posted:

It's going to be real bleak when one of the core cast Julie Kavner croaks and Disney recasts them without blinking

I wouldn't worry about that, Disney would never recast a voice actor
Because a star war TV show proved they can just train an ai to a voice performance and get a mediocre but cheap substitute they'll owe no royalties to

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PostNouveau posted:

So many times. He was genetically enhanced with cricket genes in one of them. It wasn't even a Halloween episode.

There are a lot of reductive heuristics for determining when the Simpsons lost its mojo (when celebrities started playing themselves, when Phil Hartman died), but regular episodes becoming indistinguishable from Halloween episodes is one of my favorites. I distinctly remember an episode where Kang and Kodos are just hanging out in a non Halloween episode as a bit of a watershed for me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

And he also had super strength and gills to breath underwater and poo poo. I think the episode was about genetically modified organisms, of which Bob was experimenting on himself. It was also dedicated to Marcia Wallace.

Poor Marcia Wallace, having her name plastered on such an episode :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I was watching some Flintstones today. It's very much the forebearer to The Simpsons. Corny as hell, I've always had a soft spot for the show. The show had a pretty legnthy run. I was thinking about the similarities and differences. We give Simpsons poo poo for celebrity cameos, but Flintstones was doing it decades prior. The celebrity caricatures stick out next to the normal cartoon characters in Flintstones just like they do in Simpsons.

It's crazy to think that the gap of time between Flintstones' premiere and Simpsons's premiere to Simpsons's premiere is just as long, if not already eclipsed (it's too far in the evening for me to look up dates and do the math). But that said, Simpsons just never stopped. Simpsons has always been basically one unbroken production, while Flintstones had started and ended it's original run, then done a bunch of spinoff and sequel shows, like them getting a caveman version of The Addams Family as neighbors, or Flintstone Kids. Eventually Pebbles and Bam Bam started a rock band in their teen years and then got married to each other a few years later.

Yeah, Hanna Barbera churned shows out on an assembly line, but they knew when to end a show before it got stale. For their mega hits, like Flintstones and Scooby Doo, give them new gimmick shows. (And for the non-mega hits they'd be replaced with another group of teen mystery silverware and talking mascot animal.)

The Simpsons is very stale. Despite them occasionally updating things to catch up with the times, it's a show deathly afraid of change. I guess what I'm getting at, the biggest problem with The Simpsons is that they have yet to Meet The Jetsons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Simpsons is very stale. Despite them occasionally updating things to catch up with the times, it's a show deathly afraid of change. I guess what I'm getting at, the biggest problem with The Simpsons is that they have yet to Meet The Jetsons.

They should age the characters up.

The modern-day future episodes do suck of course, because they're written by the writers of the modern-day Simpsons, but at least they feel fresher.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

And he also had super strength and gills to breath underwater and poo poo. I think the episode was about genetically modified organisms, of which Bob was experimenting on himself. It was also dedicated to Marcia Wallace.

Poor Marcia Wallace, having her name plastered on such an episode :(

poo poo like this seems like, on paper, it would be awesome, but it's The Simpsons so you know it'll be very lame. I know American Dad would be able to pull this off.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did a Futurama crossover years ago??

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

[Scene: TV room]

*Homer is watching TV solo. The announcer speaks*

“We now return to ‘The Metsons Meet the Mintstones’.”

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I randomly remembered how happy people were when the episode about Homer having a gay friend came out, but rewatching the series I realized Karl was clearly a homosexual man and the portrayal was more favourable

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And that was in the "celebrity cameos don't get credited because appearing on the Simpsons is embarrassing" era

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Data Graham posted:

And that was in the "celebrity cameos don't get credited because appearing on the Simpsons is embarrassing" era

Out of interest, who was credited under a pseudonym/not at all back in those days? I know Michael Jackson and Dustin Hoffman were, though I was under the impression that MJ was due to rights concerning his voice being a legal minefield (which is why I don't think it's him singing in the episode?).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean wasn't Harvey Fierstein one of them? I guess I can't remember if he got credited for Karl or not.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

I mean wasn't Harvey Fierstein one of them? I guess I can't remember if he got credited for Karl or not.

I was trying to find the Fierstein quote about refusing to return for a gay-themed episode and the search ourobourosed back to the thread from a year ago:

PostNouveau posted:

They got worse after Homer's Phobia with Three Gays in a Condo, which Harvey Fierstein refused to return for:

quote:

Years later they contacted me when they wanted Carl to return. But I didn’t really like their approach. It had nothing to do with my character. Homer and Marge have a fight, and she throws him out and he has no place to stay, and he runs into Carl, who sets him up with a pair of gay men. All they needed me for was to introduce him to these gay guys. But the script was basically just a lot of very clever gay jokes, and there wasn’t that Simpsons twist. Jim Brooks and Matt Groening and those writers have always added that extra something beneath the surface, and it just wasn’t there. Basically, Homer just had a lot of fun hanging out with gay men, and drinking in bars, and dancing at discos, and all that, and there was nothing – there was no commentary there. Every restaurant had a silly gay name. They gym had a silly gay name. They were all double entendres, obviously. And I said, “Anybody could do this. You’re the loving Simpsons. Do something we have never seen before.”

And let me say that it was very flattering that they asked me to do it. Jim Brooks said, “You know, you’re the very first voice we ever asked to come back and do it again.” I was surprised. I asked, “Why do they need me to introduce them to this gay couple? Why wouldn’t he move in with Carl and his partner?” Then I started thinking, Maybe [sic] they just wanted my stamp of approval on it because it was just a bunch of clichés.”

And on another LGBT front, they had the old "transexual tricks someone!" trope with a transwoman pretending to be a ciswoman to marry whichever of Marge's sisters is a lesbian.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Out of interest, who was credited under a pseudonym/not at all back in those days? I know Michael Jackson and Dustin Hoffman were, though I was under the impression that MJ was due to rights concerning his voice being a legal minefield (which is why I don't think it's him singing in the episode?).

Correct, they got a soundalike to do the singing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there something with Albert Brooks where he was just credited as A. Brooks?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I guess what I'm getting at, the biggest problem with The Simpsons is that they have yet to Meet The Jetsons.

They've already met Family Guy, Futurama, Flintstone, Out of Continuity Gamera along with a few Tohos, and probably half the cast of Mad TV. They've already done it before the Flintstones copied them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hrist posted:

They've already met Family Guy, Futurama, Flintstone, Out of Continuity Gamera along with a few Tohos, and probably half the cast of Mad TV. They've already done it before the Flintstones copied them.

And The Critic. And The X-Files.

It really is just a different show in the golden age. Practically unrecognisable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's that Super Eyepatch Wolf video essay about how the fans have been doing better with The Simpsons than the showrunners. I'm not gonna parrot the video but it echoes the sentiments I've felt for a while. Simpsons has a unique cultural cachet and I think they could do something really cool if they wanted to. They always get press whenever they give another auteur animator the couch gag, but it would be cool if they had a sideshow where they give an animator/animation team/what have you, a chance to make their own episode from the ground up. Their own art style, even different voice actors if they wanted to. They could treat it like they do the Treehouse of Horror episodes and not worry about continuity or even having to make sense.

Something to inject some life into the series.

SpongeBob SquarePants fits a lot of the same meme space as Simpsons does for generation of folks who were just slightly too young to catch Simpsons in it's golden age but around to watch SpongeBob for its'. I heard that Stephen Hillenberg explicitly condemned the idea of doing any spinoff shows, so it's pretty drat scummy of Nickelodeon to have started a couple of them (they also announced a Squidward show a few years ago that I think probably got shelved.) But that said, I heard that the Patrick Star Show is actually pretty good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard that Stephen Hillenberg explicitly condemned the idea of doing any spinoff shows, so it's pretty drat scummy of Nickelodeon to have started a couple of them

iirc that Squidward one was announced like

a month after Hillenberg died

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And The Critic. And The X-Files.

It really is just a different show in the golden age. Practically unrecognisable.

drat, I think I'm going to have to start throwing golden age episodes on as filler again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, that was extra crappy. I wonder if they shifted gears and turned it into the Patrick Show. Squidward was originally slated as a Netflix show but that was before they had their own streaming platform.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big problem is that 'Simpsons writer' is one of the best gigs for a worthless showbiz failchild, because there's clearly no standards.

Even with the people who claim to be fans of latter-day Simpsons, I get the feeling they'd fly into an incoherent rage if you asked them what their favourite moments were from the last 20 years of the show.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even with the people who claim to be fans of latter-day Simpsons, I get the feeling they'd fly into an incoherent rage if you asked them what their favourite moments were from the last 20 years of the show.

again I think about the guy who'd been on the show for 14 years and couldn't name a single joke he'd gotten on the air

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Empty Sandwich posted:

iirc that Squidward one was announced like

a month after Hillenberg died

You could tell that the last mo ie had a bunch of stealth spinoff pilots. loving gross.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's that Super Eyepatch Wolf video essay about how the fans have been doing better with The Simpsons than the showrunners. I'm not gonna parrot the video but it echoes the sentiments I've felt for a while. Simpsons has a unique cultural cachet and I think they could do something really cool if they wanted to. They always get press whenever they give another auteur animator the couch gag, but it would be cool if they had a sideshow where they give an animator/animation team/what have you, a chance to make their own episode from the ground up. Their own art style, even different voice actors if they wanted to. They could treat it like they do the Treehouse of Horror episodes and not worry about continuity or even having to make sense.

Something to inject some life into the series.
I honestly had similar thought when I saw that "Serious Flanders" episode. If they want to do noncanon riffs like Superman's "imaginary stories" from the Silver Age, that'd still more interesting than the bland, labored almost-humor they've been doing. Now I'm wondering what a Masaaki Yuasa episode would be like.

*EDIT* Also a friend sent me this:

https://twitter.com/davidbcooper/status/1500922700444876801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Simpsons and anime is a potent combination. Bartkira worked really well. A Bart vs Sideshow Bob fight in the style of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure practically writes itself. Joseph Joestar is basically swole Bart Simpson.