Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

since we're on the topic: if you don't want your defense getting dinged but want to see your face and hair, there's a commoner hollow up past the ladder in the firebomb hollow section of stormveil that seems to pretty reliably drop an altered commoner's headband, which is just a lil crown that goes around your head. the noble sorcerers from various places also have a chance to drop a chunkier diadem with more absorption on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

its important to wear heavy armor because it makes you look really badass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm using the full Blaidd set since it looks badass

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Substandard posted:

It doesn't seem any more broken than frost stomp or the night and flame sword or bleeds or mimic ashes or like half a dozen other things in PVE. There seem to be plenty of options to make yourself overpowered and broken. I have no idea how concerned they are with PVP balance, but invasions seem like much less of a factor in this game in general, most people have probably never even had one. So I'm curious to see if they nerf stuff specifically for PVP purposes.

Yeah, I agree it doesn't seem too crazy compared with all the other crazy. The further I take Moonveil into the late game the more I'm starting to think it's main strength is how easy it is to hit things with either slash. Both it's damage and poise hit don't seem out of line compared to other weapons, it just has the benefit (very strong benefit) of being super easy to hit the thing you're targeting. The vertical slash specifically hits at a good range and has enough height to hit jumping targets and extra tall enemies.

Don't get me wrong it's definitely a very strong weapon, but the game seems to be full of very strong weapons and weapon arts.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Snake Maze posted:

They point towards a catacomb, yeah.

Maybe I'm missing something but they seem kind of vestigial, you can find the dungeons without them and it doesn't seem like the dungeons they point to are anything special.

They've pointed me to a couple places that I'd managed to run right past since without noticing, so they haven't been completely useless for me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My endurance is high enough I have a 4 hit dual colossal weapon combo and absolutely nothing can stand up to it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

chglcu posted:

They've pointed me to a couple places that I'd managed to run right past since without noticing, so they haven't been completely useless for me.

There's one in Altus Plains that points in the direction of Volcano Manor and I haven't been able to figure out where it's pointing. I think I've hit every cave/catacomb in the direction it's pointing, but the other ones disappeared after I cleared the cave so maybe not?

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Armor is good in this one. Especially defense vs like magic or fire or holy. There are some bosses where casting Holy Protection or whatever and wearing a matching talisman plus having decent physical defense means buying yourself a few more hits. At least for the way I first beat the game as huge sword and shield guy, that kind of thing made all the difference vs a few tough late game bosses. Now I don’t know about PvP, but for PvE I’d recommend as much armor as you can get away with and still medium roll unless you are super good at dodging. Even then I’d say do that because if you do mess up, it might buy you one more mistake then if you hadn’t.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

its important to wear heavy armor because it makes you look really badass

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm using the full Blaidd set since it looks badass

the correct use case for armor in souls games

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Is the confessor's starting finger seal strong enough to warrant upgrading with my limited smiting stones? "Strong enough" for me means "good returns and will last me for a bunch of bosses". I'm getting my poo poo pushed in. My vit and end are both 10 because I'm rushing winged scythe and I need every edge I can get.

Sadly faith doesn't get the bonkers crazy scaling stuff that sorcery does but the standard finger talisman isn't any better or worse than any of the later talismans, it just doesn't provide a passive boost to certain classes of incantations like the other ones do. Feel free to upgrade it, it's a decent generalist talisman that won't harm you, and by the time you get the other talismans, you'll have access to smithing stone purchases (presumably.)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I can confirm, if you murder Diallos you're going to like the way you look, I guarantee it.

Right now i'm wearing the 'Hello Clarise' mask i strongly recommend killing the guy at boilprawn for it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Where is that cave? I missed that one.

What's his build, specifically? Because while magic and raw melee have stolen the show a bit, I haven't seen faith stuff be demonstrably bad.

I'm not sure what weapon it is but he's using a giant mace or club that does holy damage and uses somber smithing stones. He's got it upgraded to max, but when I asked for the scaling grades it all sounded pretty low, like Ds and Cs across three things one of them being strength. He's invested in strength and faith so I'm guessing it's the scaling. He said his attack power was in the high 600s but I'm guessing it's another case of split damage being poo poo. His visceral attack damage hits for a little bit more than I do with a powered up moonlight greatsword beam hit which was hitting guys in one of the final areas for ~800 a shot-- that was on armored knight dudes though. I saw him hit some beastmen and it messed them up though so it sounds like resistances.

f#a# posted:

You have three right-hand equipment slots for a reason! First of all, when looking at a weapon you'll see its type of damage (Standard, Pierce, Slash, Strike). Generally, strike excels on rock dudes, slash excels on animals and pierce excels on most light armor and scaled creatures.

You're basically expected to level at least two weapons, even if one is your daily driver. The economy of upgrade mats backs this up, especially with regard to somberstone weapons.

This is probably what my friend needs to do. Diversify!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 8, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is this fire whip I found any good?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"You're beauuutiful"

Love these creepy voices lol

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There's one in Altus Plains that points in the direction of Volcano Manor and I haven't been able to figure out where it's pointing. I think I've hit every cave/catacomb in the direction it's pointing, but the other ones disappeared after I cleared the cave so maybe not?

Maybe an illusory wall or floor somewhere? Haven't been to that area yet, so no idea.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CRAYON posted:

Don't get me wrong it's definitely a very strong weapon, but the game seems to be full of very strong weapons and weapon arts.

The late game also has some very powerful lessons that unsheathe is not, in fact, a safe move against aggressive bosses

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

f#a# posted:

this discussion is criminally missing peoples' screenshots of their fashion souls

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The NPC encounters are less quests than encounters in Sword of the Bastard or Sorcery! And I like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Substandard posted:

It doesn't seem any more broken than frost stomp or the night and flame sword or bleeds or mimic ashes or like half a dozen other things in PVE. There seem to be plenty of options to make yourself overpowered and broken. I have no idea how concerned they are with PVP balance, but invasions seem like much less of a factor in this game in general, most people have probably never even had one. So I'm curious to see if they nerf stuff specifically for PVP purposes.

I mean, I agree with you, and I've argued for a while now that the game is full of ways to become "overpowered" on purpose. My actual ideal situation would be for Moonveil to just be completely untouched and instead have a few other weapons and weapon arts buffed.

But the cries across the internet for it to be nerfed--and its sheer popularity--make it pretty clear Moonveil's headed for a nerf, and that got me thinking of how to accomplish something like that without just ruining the weapon. The unfortunate thing is that if a nerf does come, it's probably going to be drastic. I wasn't joking about the "double FP cost, halve damage, weapon is useless, problem solved" thing, From has done it before.

Ultimately I hope that From just embraces the design it looks like they've intentionally gone for--that players are able to become boss-level strong--and maybe the PvP community can settle on a higher meta level just so everyone has 60 Vigor lol

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I'm trying to be extra thorough as I clear the final endgame area, but I'm running out of content. Walked into fatty and slim and two shot them with zero issues expecting to just practice a little bit before getting serious. I also went back and finished off the Leyndell Sewers. I had already killed George RR Martin down there so I thought I'd gotten it all, but nope.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
These two valiant gargoyles are going to make me respec again.
Jesus christ they don't give me any breathing room to cast anything and my main weapon is a +11 blood erdsteel dagger

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still wearing the Kaiden armor because it's cool looking and it's basically defined the Elden Ring Man for me

SnipeShow posted:

Last week I was dicking around in an early level fort and ran out of flasks. I tossed a message out by a ladder begging for heals and died shortly after. The message must have resonated though because I'm now at 3500 approvals and climbing. A legitimate survival strategy is to roll in circles until I'm healed back up.

Try popularity, but hole.

This is harsh, evaluate me

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Char posted:

Jesus christ they don't give me any breathing room to cast anything and my main weapon is a +11 blood erdsteel dagger

that's the only boss fight i've not enjoyed so far in this game, just summon for it. it's too janky to be fun.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I found the moonveil and was using it because it’s an int/dex sword and that’s my build. I had no idea it was so popular and overpowered. Are there any other int dex swords?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Fashion Souls

Yura's set is dope af. I love me some asymmetrical sets.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Khanstant posted:

Pretty great, feels longer than a spear most strikes. Also the Bloody Slash is great for catching PvP rollers.

How the gently caress did you get it?! I think he's bugged for me. Not at the campsite in Limgrave, already killed the dude in the river. He's also not at the academy or the 2nd church so I'm confused

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RatHat posted:

I'm beginning to think inflicting Madness only works in PvP

I believe Madness works the same as Death Blight: it only affects Tarnished, which means pvp plus fightable npcs and npc red phantoms. Basically anything that can drink a flask in front of your face.
Does nothing to non-Tarnished humanoids.

The few sources of deathblight I've found spell this out explicitly but none of the madness spells/weapons say anything about it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

and maybe the PvP community can settle on a higher meta level just so everyone has 60 Vigor lol

The pvp community tried setting a level meta less than a week after release and my youtube recommendations are distressingly littered with titles like "wow..... faith so balanced" where two people strafe around each other for a full minute until one of them gets hit with a lightning spear. Methinks they just hate fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Overbite posted:

I found the moonveil and was using it because it’s an int/dex sword and that’s my build. I had no idea it was so popular and overpowered. Are there any other int dex swords?

Yeah but they're mostly available later. Wing of Astel is a curved sword with a really cool weapon art that makes a fan of exploding stars, for example.

To be clear I think Moonveil's probably overpowered for PvP but not necessarily for PvE. It's easy to use and powerful, but there are other weapons that are just as, if not more, powerful, they're just later in the game, maybe less versatile, and sometimes require a bit more timing to use effectively. So keep using it if you like it, you're not "cheating" or anything--Elden Ring lets you become very powerful, and it seems to expect you to.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Char posted:

Those two are the worst boss of the midgame. I'd just bring a friend (or a Mimic Tear).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Overbite posted:

When checking the name of one of the ones I have I found this

quote:

Troll Knight's Sword is a Colossal Sword in Elden Ring. The Troll Knight's Sword scales primarily with Strength, Dexterity and Intellect and is a good Weapon for Intellect Strength Builds.

So, uh, anyone running a int-str build given that dex improves casting time?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

since we're on the topic: if you don't want your defense getting dinged but want to see your face and hair, there's a commoner hollow up past the ladder in the firebomb hollow section of stormveil that seems to pretty reliably drop an altered commoner's headband, which is just a lil crown that goes around your head. the noble sorcerers from various places also have a chance to drop a chunkier diadem with more absorption on it

This isn't like Dark Souls 3 where you get an actual penalty to defence for empty slots. If you wear no helmet you can just use the freed-up weight to wear heavier armor elsewhere and end up pretty much the same.

e:

pentyne posted:

When checking the name of one of the ones I have I found this

So, uh, anyone running a int-str build given that dex improves casting time?

I used that for a while but the scaling seemed pretty poo. Mine is just at +6 atm because I dropped it a while ago, but it still has D scaling and my 38 int only gives +39 to magic AR.
You'd probably be better off using the normal Guts greatsword and casting a magic weapon buff on it.

e: at this same 38 int, a Magic Flamberge +9 gets a whole 141 damage from int scaling, more than 4x as much as the colossal sword, although it is a higher upgrade level.

It seems like there are a lot of cool options for "splash a little int into a str build" like the Ruins Greatsword or Death's Poker, but few stand-out things for "splash a little str into an int build". The coolest weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword which only requires 16.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 8, 2022

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

They point towards a catacomb, yeah.

Maybe I'm missing something but they seem kind of vestigial, you can find the dungeons without them and it doesn't seem like the dungeons they point to are anything special.

I thought this too until I found the one that pointed at a dungeon at the far end of Radahn's boss arena :wtc:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm def not having fun invading as a red phantom. Invading with a punch-only gimmick (+weapon art) just leads to getting my poo poo wrecked really fast. I gotta bluecop for a decent chance at winning in PvP, at least for now. Maybe I just need more practice in the new meta, too many people are pulling out moves I've never seen before.

At this point it doesn't seem like ER has a "be the boss" fight huh :( Unless it's super late endgame

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, with Sword of Night and Flame and Skeleton bros the game is less "Am I gud at this game" and more of a dice roll whether the boss forgets to finish the skeles and I win.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My current look. Some heavy armor with some pieces that give life regen (not noticeable but other armor did not had usefull properties)

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1501251396754104323

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Control Volume posted:

The pvp community tried setting a level meta less than a week after release and my youtube recommendations are distressingly littered with titles like "wow..... faith so balanced" where two people strafe around each other for a full minute until one of them gets hit with a lightning spear. Methinks they just hate fun

My own diagnosis is that there are a lot of Dark Souls 1-3 veterans who came into this expecting Dark Souls 4 and are finding the ways Elden Ring lets the player become really powerful to be not to their taste. They don't want weapon arts to be this good, or spirit summons to be that useful, or spells to be good. They're stubbornly trying to play the game like Dark Souls 4 and really hoping it'll be changed so they can.

That's probably more dismissive than is warranted but eh.

When I see the way the late/endgame areas are balanced and see how things like Moonveil, Hoarfrost Stomp, Blasphemous Blade, etc. just let you deal with it rather than trivializing it, it makes me feel like the answer isn't to nerf the things that work well, but buff the things that don't. I should be clear that I am 100% in favor of nerfs when they're warranted, and if the "overpowered" things actually did make the late/endgame easy, I'd be understanding of the calls to nerf them. I'm just looking at the overall game balance on both the player and NPC side and it looks like the problem might be more that some options are underpowered instead.

poo poo, just buff everything that's being outclassed and then apply an across-the-board reduction to the damage players do to other players and call it a day lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

At this point it doesn't seem like ER has a "be the boss" fight huh :( Unless it's super late endgame

It has one but I dont think its what you want haha

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Overbite posted:

Meteorite Ore Katana or whatever is what I’ve been using. Doesn’t scale as well as Moonveil with int though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I started playing offline a few hours in because the "Message appraised" pop-ups and sounds were non-stop and my HP was getting refilled constantly.