Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've been obsessed with Ghost over the past couple of weeks. Would love to see them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kaddish posted:

I've been obsessed with Ghost over the past couple of weeks. Would love to see them live.

they are extremely tight live, very much enjoyed the show i caught a few years ago

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’m kinda surprised they’ve not released a live Blu-ray or something, the show they were touring back in 2018 or so was great fun.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I think I've said this before, but my lil podunk area had a random festival in 2016 (with music, a bunch of demolition derby/car gently caress-up things, and wrestling) ft. Shinedown, Nikki Sixx, Megadeth, Lamb of God, a bunch of random fuckin' acts. My 54yo mom was like "hey I really want to see Nikki & Shinedown, can you take me?" and it was a ton of fun. I dragged her to the Ghost set under the pretense "wait til you hear this guy speak, he's the chef from Sesame Street"

and they rocked pretty hard and she bought a t-shirt that she still rocks at her weekly bowling league

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hi5 another member of the 'mom likes ghost' club

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Same, kinda at least. (My mom is like 71 and a retired schoolteacher. Despite literally being a boomer she is and has always been a lefty atheist, though. She saw the humour straight away.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
do you not know how old your mother is?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I always forget my dad's age because he constantly says he's a year older than he actually is.

Like, how did I go so long and not listen to Ghost? The mind boggles.

I wish more bands would do V necks for their merch.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I know my dad had a milestone birthday a couple years ago but more precise than that I have no idea how old my parents are. Is that not normal?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/9xSZZOJx4b4

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Had to think a bit to make sure about the current year.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I know my dad had a milestone birthday a couple years ago but more precise than that I have no idea how old my parents are. Is that not normal?

If you have to help them with any medical stuff the doctors and nurses will ask them their birthdate over and over. Getting old sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJP0DejQmBw

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's easy to call ghost music for old people but i didn't think it was so literal!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

henpod posted:

I like it too, it stays in my head. It's dumb and the spooky occult scoobydoo rock Forge used to do is all but gone, but he still manages to do catchy stuff.

It's another grower, which I should've expected. Now that I've listened to it a bunch of times, I love it. And the lyrics, while a bit goofy, describe both the 1920s and the 2020s pretty well. I really do appreciate his lyrical writing at times.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ill forever regret missing Ghost when they came by on their first album at a tiny venue here in Winnipeg and now they are huge and will never, ever play a show that small again. gently caress. I loved that album too.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I've been thinking about introducing my 63-year-old mom to Ghost since she got me into BOC as a kid. She's a lefty agnostic but also might get turned off since my dad was turbocatholic.

Saw them for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. This goofy-rear end band was made for me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have never related more to the Cannibal Corpseman

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Taking recommendations of apocalyptic/symphonic blastbeat albums that pair well with the flavor of our times. Thanks.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZnHJ9-0EA

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh, "symphonic". Ah well

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Taking recommendations of apocalyptic/symphonic blastbeat albums that pair well with the flavor of our times. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOucG8rM5k

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4UMwF5zIqw

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8t_EcYVTs

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

I really want to like these guys, they have so many cool moments in their songs, but the songs themselves are always a little too long and meandering. I know that's their thing, but I really wish they could tighten it up a bit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Impera is a solid 80s rock album, with a 20s spin.

Very varied, has a bit of everything in its DNA. Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Queensryche, Abba, Foreigner.

Twenties was a weird single choice because it's very much the jarring midpoint, and Griftwood/Spillways are much more single coded.

Seeing them in Manchester next month and if the set list is Impera and greatest hits, it'll be a good gig.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 10, 2022

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Very varied, has a bit of everything in its DNA. Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Queensryche, Abba, Foreigner.

Twenties was a weird single choice because it's very much the jarring midpoint, and Griftwood/Spillways are much more single coded.

Seeing them in Manchester next month and if the set list is Impera and greatest hits, it'll be a good gig.

It's a pretty good 80's rock album for sure, however if you like ghost for the spooky, occult or apocalyptic vibe it'll leave you a little cold. However, a catchy tune is a catchy tune and this is full of em.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Any recommendations for bands like Unleash the Archers, bands that are power metal or adjacent but have more complexity and richness in their instrumentation? I've been listening to some of there recent stuff and its so good. Their cover of Northwest Passage is so loving fun, and I'm not even Canadian.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Battle beast

Edit: Bolt Thrower

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

If I had to guess, Twenties was probably released early so everyone could get the hot takes out of their system before the album dropped. If it dropped with the rest of the album people would be too busy talking about that song to the exclusion of everything else, so you might as well rip the bandaid off so it doesn't distract from the rest.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Picked up a ticket to Napalm Death in London for next Friday. They're also going to stream the gig so I don't have to leave the comfort of my living room.

Ticket was a mere £6.65.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
how the gently caress did they not make it £6.66

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ridiculous

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Napalm Death are cancelled

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any recommendations for bands like Unleash the Archers, bands that are power metal or adjacent but have more complexity and richness in their instrumentation? I've been listening to some of there recent stuff and its so good. Their cover of Northwest Passage is so loving fun, and I'm not even Canadian.
I've talked about many of these bands before pretty recently, but here goes anyways. The context is that I'm also a huge Unleash the Archers fan, and these all scratch a very similar itch for me.

Eternity's End Three of these guys have a tech death background and it kinda shines through sometimes.

Ravenous

Mega Colossus

Seven Spires These guys are symphonic metal in the same way UtA are power metal: Technically yes, but it doesn't quite convey the whole truth.

Frozen Crown Budget UtA: Not as rich, not as impressive vocally, but they can kinda fill in for the same spot in a pinch.

Lastly, because I don't know your background with power metal, on the off chance you don't know them, I'm gonna toss Lost Horizon in there because gently caress. (Trivia: The vocalist from this band is, according to her own words, one of the biggest influences on Brittney Slayes from UtA.)

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Nordick posted:

I've talked about many of these bands before pretty recently, but here goes anyways. The context is that I'm also a huge Unleash the Archers fan, and these all scratch a very similar itch for me.

Eternity's End Three of these guys have a tech death background and it kinda shines through sometimes.

Ravenous

Mega Colossus

Seven Spires These guys are symphonic metal in the same way UtA are power metal: Technically yes, but it doesn't quite convey the whole truth.

Frozen Crown Budget UtA: Not as rich, not as impressive vocally, but they can kinda fill in for the same spot in a pinch.

Lastly, because I don't know your background with power metal, on the off chance you don't know them, I'm gonna toss Lost Horizon in there because gently caress. (Trivia: The vocalist from this band is, according to her own words, one of the biggest influences on Brittney Slayes from UtA.)

Thanks! These look exactly like what I wanted.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

If I had to guess, Twenties was probably released early so everyone could get the hot takes out of their system before the album dropped. If it dropped with the rest of the album people would be too busy talking about that song to the exclusion of everything else, so you might as well rip the bandaid off so it doesn't distract from the rest.

Probably, though in the context of the album as a whole, Twenties feels fresh and leads well into the finale. It's not a bad song at all, but it's better in the context of the album, how it's really meant to be heard.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHy1POIGkKM

Bunch of live songs from the album, good stuff

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Digging the camcorder aesthetic.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Probably, though in the context of the album as a whole, Twenties feels fresh and leads well into the finale. It's not a bad song at all, but it's better in the context of the album, how it's really meant to be heard.

Agreed, it's not as jarring when you have the intro instrumental and follow it up with the rest of the album. Tobias said he wanted Kaisarion to be the album's first single (hence why it's the one song from the album he played on the tour that just got finished up) but the label decided to go with Call Me Little Sunshine instead, so label execs thinking they know best is to blame for these odd decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Anfauglir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHy1POIGkKM

Bunch of live songs from the album, good stuff

This is very cool.