Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I haven't died 20 times to Lynels in my entire set of playthroughs :smug:
because I run away every time :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is it possible to get all the lynel parts you need to upgrade the barbarian armor set without actually fighting any Lynels?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is it possible to get all the lynel parts you need to upgrade the barbarian armor set without actually fighting any Lynels?

Probably not without mods on an emulator. They don’t spawn or drop anywhere else.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr Pepper posted:

Taking any criticism from that moron as legitimate is inadvisable.

Only if you use nothing but your sword is that the case. Watching any speedrun(that actually fights things) shows how quickly you can dispatch enemies with the right tools.

Yeah, it's like complaining that combat in Dark Souls is boring because all you do is stand there with your shield and wait for an opening to safely spear your enemy.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Sure. Abuse Cuccos (sp?) to kill one Lynel, then use the inventory overload bug to dupe the lynel parts.

Or just get gud. :getin:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, that’s just, like, straight up wrong. There are maybe 3-4 enemies in the game that you can’t just aggressively rush down and just whale on, unless he means the bosses? If you’re standing around and waiting for a Stalfos or a Lizalfos so you can epically counter them then you have terminal Dork Souls brain, Ocarina of Time was designed for 8 year olds

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, that’s just, like, straight up wrong. There are maybe 3-4 enemies in the game that you can’t just aggressively rush down and just whale on, unless he means the bosses? If you’re standing around and waiting for a Stalfos or a Lizalfos so you can epically counter them then you have terminal Dork Souls brain, Ocarina of Time was designed for 8 year olds

UM, what about those Deku guys that hide in the ground if you get close???

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Finally getting into Age of Calamity. After 280 hours of HW:DE it was a bit of an adjustment to the added complexity of the Sheikah slate options and the elemental rods, but about 10 hours in it's now become pretty intuitive. My plan is pretty much the same as in the first HW, just get Link massively OP and steamroll everything. I haven't replayed any levels to grind or anything, but I try to hit all the side quests and such before moving on in the main story.

Game good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, I watched a blind LP of OoT a few years ago and I actually learned something from watching the OP: Deku Nuts work on drat near everything and most people just ignore them past the Great Deku Tree. She was throwing Deku Nuts all over the place to basically stun lock enemies while she whaled on them. Stalfos especially.

Basically if you're waiting for regular-rear end enemies to reveal weakpoints in OoT, you need to sack up and quit turtling.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

Basically if you're waiting for regular-rear end enemies to reveal weakpoints in OoT, you need to sack up and quit turtling.

There's even a mini boss that punishes you for turtling. I remember this because I was that kid who tried to play all cute and strategic instead of just opening up on the stupid things.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Winifred Madgers posted:

Finally getting into Age of Calamity. After 280 hours of HW:DE it was a bit of an adjustment to the added complexity of the Sheikah slate options and the elemental rods, but about 10 hours in it's now become pretty intuitive. My plan is pretty much the same as in the first HW, just get Link massively OP and steamroll everything. I haven't replayed any levels to grind or anything, but I try to hit all the side quests and such before moving on in the main story.

Game good.

Link is good and has a bunch of weapons but there are other, better characters. Impa is insanely good, she’s fast and using her special when she is maxed out with three symbols is really powerful. Zelda’s Shiekah Slate seems weird at first but once you understand it, it becomes godlike. But mostly anyone is good and there aren’t really any characters that suck to use like in HW:DE. Yeah, Agatha. I meant you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really liked using Ravioli. You can spend a lot of time up in the air and his combos are easy to do and do a lot of damage.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I still haven't really figured out Impa. Like I can use her just as well as anyone else but the whole symbols thing hasn't really clicked with me yet. I'm still too stuck in the rut of using the standard combos, I don't think I have ever gotten all 3 symbols working together.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My 9-year-old daughter is Revali's biggest fan for sure.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Winifred Madgers posted:

I still haven't really figured out Impa. Like I can use her just as well as anyone else but the whole symbols thing hasn't really clicked with me yet. I'm still too stuck in the rut of using the standard combos, I don't think I have ever gotten all 3 symbols working together.

You just mark 3 mobs and use strong attacks to gather the symbols when you hit those mobs.

fake edit: also abuse stasis, it's amazing.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 7, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I watch a lot of youtubes about all sorts of things because I have it on in the background while doing other stuff, but I just reflexively cringe at ones that are an hour+ even if they're topics and channels I like. I like some of Arlo's reviews, but the thought of spending over three hours talking about a single game just preemptively exhausts me.

i keep seeing a video on my timeline called 'a brief retrospective on Morrowind' and it's like 8 loving hours long in what loving world is that loving brief who the gently caress has an entire work day to spend watching a goddamn youtube video

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Flytrap posted:

i keep seeing a video on my timeline called 'a brief retrospective on Morrowind' and it's like 8 loving hours long in what loving world is that loving brief who the gently caress has an entire work day to spend watching a goddamn youtube video

NEETs

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven't played it in years, but now you've got me wondering if I'd approach it differently if I played it nowadays. I did the "wait for an opening on every enemy" thing as a kid because that was how I thought you were supposed to do it and everything else I tried got me wrecked. :(

The Deku Nut thing is especially intriguing, I remember thinking "why come they keep giving me these forever" and never thinking harder about it lmao

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Flytrap posted:

i believe titling the video "brief retrospective" is what we usually call a "joke" in this case

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

But mostly anyone is good and there aren’t really any characters that suck to use like in HW:DE. Yeah, Agatha. I meant you.

It's funny because Agitha is a pretty solid character, not amazing but adequate.

The only actual poo poo characters in HWDE are Great Fairy Link and Tingle.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ardryn posted:

You just mark 3 mobs and use strong attacks to gather the symbols when you hit those mobs.

lol and here I was thinking each symbol had a different way to bring it up or something, like I said I have been too stuck in my HW:DE ways so far.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's funny because Agitha is a pretty solid character, not amazing but adequate.

The only actual poo poo characters in HWDE are Great Fairy Link and Tingle.

It took me a long time to get into Wizzro, he's soooo slow, but he has a great room-clearing move and I learned to abuse the Kamehameha beam.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Ardryn posted:

Specifically, break out of Impa's stasis attack pattern so you can attack normally.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Winifred Madgers posted:

lol and here I was thinking each symbol had a different way to bring it up or something, like I said I have been too stuck in my HW:DE ways so far.

You hit the unique ability button (ZR?) to tag an enemy with a symbol, then once you kill them (or finish a combo?) you can hit strong attack to absorb it and make clones. You can absorb up to three symbols. Each one makes her combos increasingly stronger and hit a bigger area. Once you have three you can’t tag enemies any more, ZR causes all the clones to fly forward really fast, damaging enemies in front of you. When you have max clones, her special attack becomes bigger and stronger and involves all the clones. This immediately clears your symbols, so it’s best to use right as the symbols are about to expire. You’ll know they are expiring because a countdown noise will play and the symbols will start to flash. She’s definitely my go-to character.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does nintendo acknowledge the capcom zelda games? I would love a remaster of the oracle games especially if they made the third oracle game to finish the trilogy off.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Does nintendo acknowledge the capcom zelda games? I would love a remaster of the oracle games especially if they made the third oracle game to finish the trilogy off.

They're usually included in official series retrospectives and timeline stuff.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You hit the unique ability button (ZR?) to tag an enemy with a symbol, then once you kill them (or finish a combo?) you can hit strong attack to absorb it and make clones. You can absorb up to three symbols. Each one makes her combos increasingly stronger and hit a bigger area. Once you have three you can’t tag enemies any more, ZR causes all the clones to fly forward really fast, damaging enemies in front of you. When you have max clones, her special attack becomes bigger and stronger and involves all the clones. This immediately clears your symbols, so it’s best to use right as the symbols are about to expire. You’ll know they are expiring because a countdown noise will play and the symbols will start to flash. She’s definitely my go-to character.

Ok. I got it now. :stare::hellyeah:

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
I picked up Skyward Sword when the physical copies were on sale and have been playing through it as I recover from a ankle injury. I'm at the point where I have to fight to the bottom of the pit where you fight Ghirahim and then Demise. I've found the controls terrible the whole game, both with a pro controller and with joycons and I think I'm going to watch the end of the game on Youtube rather than do these fights. I've found the story interesting, seeing the first cycle of these people in their roles and the creation of the Master Sword but I can't do two more fights that require me to swing in one location and the controls putting my swings somewhere completely different.

I picked up Link Between Worlds on clearance yesterday, I'm going to take a run at that next. Failing that I might just start another BotW run to pass the time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

pooch516 posted:

They're usually included in official series retrospectives and timeline stuff.

Are there any rights issues related to capcom having worked on them? I thought it was really odd how hyrule warriors didn't include anything from the capcom games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never played a Hyrule Warriors game. Are these considered spin-offs that are non-canon? I never seen them mentioned in timelines and such.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there is no zelda canon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Super No Vacancy posted:

there is no zelda canon

Wrong

Also his name's Link

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played a Hyrule Warriors game. Are these considered spin-offs that are non-canon? I never seen them mentioned in timelines and such.

Think of them as taking place somewhere in the Zelda multiverse. The first game is it’s own setting but after a couple missions a portal opens up that sends our hero’s off to other Zelda games like Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword.

Age of Calamity is like a “what if” universe that takes place before Breath of the Wild.

Don’t take either game too seriously and try to place it in a timeline or canon or whatever.

They’re both great Mosou games and should be played. I enjoyed the first Hyrule Warriors more, but that’s just my opinion.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2022

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's an unfair comparison because the first one is like a greatest hits compilation, it's hard to compete with that. But Age of Calamity is really growing on me too now that I've gotten around to it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also the definitive edition includes like a million DLC things and has basically infinite content, and the people who made it clearly just love everything about the franchise. I mean it's unequivocally a musou and not "a Zelda game" but it's really really good at what it does, and just a ton of fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have no idea what a “Mosou” game is, I was just curious if I needed to get the Hyrule Warriors games to complete my core Zelda Collection.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I have no idea what a “Mosou” game is, I was just curious if I needed to get the Hyrule Warriors games to complete my core Zelda Collection.

Musou = Dynasty Warriors type game.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Cartoon Man posted:

Think of them as taking place somewhere in the Zelda multiverse.

Zelda
Zelda 2
Zelda 3
The Amazing Zelda
The Amazing Zelda 2
Zelda: Homecoming
Zelda: Into the Zelda-Verse
Zelda: Far From Home
Zelda: No Way Home
Zelda: Across the Zelda-Verse (Part One)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Dr. Tingle & the Multiverse of Sadness

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A Long Way Down posted:

I picked up Skyward Sword when the physical copies were on sale and have been playing through it as I recover from a ankle injury. I'm at the point where I have to fight to the bottom of the pit where you fight Ghirahim and then Demise. I've found the controls terrible the whole game, both with a pro controller and with joycons and I think I'm going to watch the end of the game on Youtube rather than do these fights. I've found the story interesting, seeing the first cycle of these people in their roles and the creation of the Master Sword but I can't do two more fights that require me to swing in one location and the controls putting my swings somewhere completely different.

I picked up Link Between Worlds on clearance yesterday, I'm going to take a run at that next. Failing that I might just start another BotW run to pass the time.

I don’t understand how you could have gotten that far in the game if the controls were so inaccurate. You have to do small, controlled movements for the sword strikes, mainly with your wrist. I played the original and the remaster and never had that much trouble getting the controls to work*. Especially in the new one where you can reset the pointer whenever you want. But a lot of people had problems with it so clearly there’s something about it that made it unintuitive for a lot of players.

*Hero mode was extremely frustrating because it really put a magnifying glass on any and all flaws with the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

chaosapiant posted:

They aren't "core games" but they are fun. I've racked like 270 in the Switch version of the original so far. Only like halfway through the endless content.