Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rosselkhoznadzor allows the supply of vegetable products from some countries
(announcement from) Central unit

From March 5, 2022, Rosselkhoznadzor cancels previously imposed restrictions and resumes the import of vegetable products from nine countries, from the entire territory, into Russia, without taking into account restrictions on manufacturing enterprises. It is allowed to import:

- tomatoes from the Republic of Armenia;
- tomatoes from the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- tomatoes and peppers from the Republic of Belarus;
- tomatoes and peppers from the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- potatoes from the Arab Republic of Egypt;
- tomatoes and peppers from the Republic of Kyrgyzstan;
- tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and eggplant from the Republic of Turkey;
- tomatoes and peppers from Turkmenistan;
- tomatoes and peppers from the Republic of Uzbekistan.

The decision was made based on the results of the analysis of information on regionalization provided by the national organizations for quarantine and plant protection of the above countries, as well as on the measures taken to prevent violations of the phytosanitary requirements of the Russian Federation and the EAEU member countries.

https://fsvps.gov.ru/fsvps/news/47727.html

In other words, let's not get too picky about the quality of produce - beggars choosers etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

I don't know if I believe that Western journalists are doing it on purpose, but I do think there's a good chance that Nazis within Ukraine's armed forces are making sure that they get photographed, and are making sure they have their symbols on hand. But I agree overall; at best, Western journalists and photographers are being kind of useful idiots by falling for this again and again.
Yeah, at this point I'm seeing more reactions to Western journalists/organizations boosting Nazis (inadvertently or not) than claims that it is representative of Ukraine. Obviously I'm not looking for the latter (or the former really), but I feel like that's a legit avenue of criticism, though it is somewhat tangential to the war itself. Extremely relevant to the post-war though, whatever that might be.

Antigravitas posted:

You can't kick someone out of the EU.
All rights can be suspended though, which seems good enough.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

EscapeHere posted:

Serious question - why is Hungary even in the EU and NATO at this point?

I'll profess I don't know much about the country, but whenever I do hear about it it's usually about them vetoing some EU bill, or blaming the EU or NATO for something. At this point they seem almost as much of a Russian puppet state as Belarus.

If they hate it so much, why don't they just leave? What's stopping them? Is this just a case that they want all of the benefits but none of the obligations or responsibilities? I don't think them leaving would have the same impact as Brexit.... from what I see it seems most other countries would be happy to see them gone.

The majority of Hungarians want to be in the EU and the NATO, and leaving these currently would require a public referendum, which the government knows they would lose. (One of the main fears now is that the government will pass a law that lets them quit without a referendum.) The Orban government has 2/3 majority in the parliament while getting about 40% of the votes in the elections.

Should probably move this conversation into the EE thread.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DutchDupe posted:

I don't get why there is a subset of people (online leftists mostly I guess) that can tell you in intimate detail the entire history, emblems, culture, and members of Ukraine's neo-nazi movement. Like great, but why is it notable in this specific conflict against another country that is also swimming in neo-nazis and racist bullshit.

Idk, I just never got why some people feel like posting an image of a Nazi from Ukraine is some argument ending clap back. I could find a nazi in any country, they aren't hard to find.
Contrarianism. I say this as someone who considers himself fairly leftist - There's a strong strain of contrarian broke-brainedness running through the left. Anything liberals support cannot be right, because they are impure of faith. It's never quite unfounded, but it's always pursued way more aggressively than makes sense.

[Citation: Glen Greenwald]

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Having trouble with wikipedia, seems to be down. Cyber?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

the popes toes posted:

It's working fine for me

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Struggling to believe that Ukraine would get rid of their commitment to join NATO. They've seen what happens now when you're not in NATO and near Russia and you do something that Russia doesn't like. Neutrality is meaningless when Russia fundamentally doesn't think you have a right to exist.

Gentle reminder that Russia already gave guarantees on Ukrainian territorial sovereignty in 1991 when Ukraine agreed to hand over all their nukes for it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Slugworth posted:

Contrarianism. I say this as someone who considers himself fairly leftist - There's a strong strain of contrarian broke-brainedness running through the left. Anything liberals support cannot be right, because they are impure of faith. It's never quite unfounded, but it's always pursued way more aggressively than makes sense.

[Citation: Glen Greenwald]

Glen Greenwald is NOT a Leftist

He's a contrarian "liberterian" and has no problem being a fellow traveler of most fascist movements with the exception of Brazil, where he lives.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1501230385157795845

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Leader of the right-wing Italian party Lega, Salvini, has flown to Poland after talking about "real" and "fake" refugees in the past days. Salvini is notoriously tied to Putin (there was a big scandal when it was discovered that Lega had received a massive amount of money from Russia some time ago) and the people in Poland were quick to remind him of that.

quote:

PRZEMYSL, Poland -- The mayor of a Polish town bordering Ukraine publicly called out the leader of Italy’s right-wing League party for his pro-Kremlin views on Tuesday, derisively calling Matteo Salvini a “friend” of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Przemysl Mayor Wojciech Bakun challenged Salvini during a news conference at the train station in Przemysl, where hundreds of thousands of refugees have arrived since Russia launched its war against Ukraine on Feb. 24.

The mayor pulled a T-shirt from his jacket showing Putin's face and the words: “Army of Russia.” The T-shirt was similar to one that Salvini had worn publicly in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Aw0dQoaYfY

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

the popes toes posted:

Why yes, I'd love some Cyber.

Also it's down for me too. But I can access through a work VPN.

May just be routing issues.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Disputed territory seized by Russia after ww2. They're relatively small, but it's a LONG chain of islands stretching basically from Russia to Japan.

There is pyrite, sulfur, polymetallic ores (whatever that is) and may be oil in the seas around it. Although I'm guessing control of the sea plus strategic and historical value is the main draw.

Gotta say I love this move from Japan though. Even if it's just words, it could help. Make Putin worried about places other than Ukraine.

I am incredibly annoyed at this video always ending right in the middle of him talking where's the rest??

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

turns out that the battlefield of the future isn't swamped in horrible gas, but it is swamped in small flying robots which can murder the poo poo out of heavily armored vehicles, so lightly armored vehicles don't really stand a chance. but your choice isn't between the bad vehicle and the good vehicle, it is between the bad vehicle and no vehicle, and it is freezing outside, so...

They are also generally traveling a pretty long way. They aren't gonna go that far dismounted, plus like you said it's super cold outside so they prefer inside. A lot of these troops also have zero actual combat experience, and their vehicles aren't taking small arms fire first, then missiles. They are just being blown up straight away

Djarum posted:

We are incredibly lucky that we didn't see a second Trump term for a lot of reasons but thankfully we aren't at risk of a Putin, yet.

I don't think it's an understatement to say that if Trump got a second term Ukraine would be totally hosed

ronya posted:

We have our answer to "is it just some civilian contractors carrying gravel or is RUA really that desperate":

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1501169703431163910

That looks like gravel to me. Or maybe sunflowers

mobby_6kl posted:

The loving vatniks are everywhere

Are you loving kidding me. Jesus, that's gross. Should be as bannable as nazi symbolism

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""McDonald's says it is temporarily closing 850 restaurants in Russia in response to Ukraine invasion""

That's it the Putin regime is kaput.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Play posted:

Are you loving kidding me. Jesus, that's gross. Should be as bannable as nazi symbolism

There is a QCS thread about it, for what its worth.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""McDonald's says it is temporarily closing 850 restaurants in Russia in response to Ukraine invasion""

That's it the Putin regime is kaput.

Ah poo poo, the Cold War really is back on now

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah this whole global economy thing is really going to be a brake on wars of aggression or whatever the history books end up calling Putin's folly. Not going to do much for resource wars obviously.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Struggling to believe that Ukraine would get rid of their commitment to join NATO. They've seen what happens now when you're not in NATO and near Russia and you do something that Russia doesn't like. Neutrality is meaningless when Russia fundamentally doesn't think you have a right to exist.

Gentle reminder that Russia already gave guarantees on Ukrainian territorial sovereignty in 1991 when Ukraine agreed to hand over all their nukes for it.

I still think if they could get an EU partnership/membership they would be willing to drop NATO since that'd still mean a form of mutual defence but with the excuse of "Well it's not NATO so you can't be worries about US nukes on our territory or whatever horseshit excuse you had"

Russia still won't go for it because the whole NATO thing is a smokescreen and they're opposed to any integration away from their domination/sphere including economic but, offering that would at least show that Russia's claimed invasion goals weren't real.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This new captcha poo poo is out of control.

Pakled posted:

Ah poo poo, the Cold War really is back on now

Not until Pizza Hut shuts down.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

DutchDupe posted:

I don't get why there is a subset of people (online leftists mostly I guess) that can tell you in intimate detail the entire history, emblems, culture, and members of Ukraine's neo-nazi movement. Like great, but why is it notable in this specific conflict against another country that is also swimming in neo-nazis and racist bullshit.

Idk, I just never got why some people feel like posting an image of a Nazi from Ukraine is some argument ending clap back. I could find a nazi in any country, they aren't hard to find.

It is a back door to apologize for Putin after more direct forms of Putin apology become socially unacceptable. As for why some people feel the need to defend Putin we’ve been over that. For some it’s a weird inverted form of American exceptionalism in which the US is identified as the world bad guy and forces opposed to it are thought of as good. For others, it might be distaste for a rules-based world order dominated by liberal capitalist countries and a desire to weaken those countries that Putin shares. For still others, it’s sympathy for authoritarianism more generally and longing for similar “strong” figures to emerge in the west. I’m sure there’s others who think I’m ways I haven’t begun to guess.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Play posted:

I am incredibly annoyed at this video always ending right in the middle of him talking where's the rest??
1 https://twitter.com/kopiganja/status/1498182268523016195
2 https://twitter.com/kopiganja/status/1498183055608975360
3 https://twitter.com/kopiganja/status/1498183657932333059

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

the popes toes posted:

I put on my wizard robe and hat.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

a podcast for cats posted:

I am becoming curious as to what a good, realistic best case peace deal would look like for Ukraine. Twitter has a 20 minute ABC interview with Zelensky and it seems he is open to ceding Crimea, the pirate states of Donetsk and Luhansk and NATO ambitions in exchange for non-NATO security guarantees.

At that point, it seems like both Russia and Ukraine are worse off than they began with, but it's not the worst possible outcome.

There are large natural gas fields in far eastern Ukraine near Luhansk, and far western Ukraine. There is also oil off the coast but with Crimea being taken by Russia most of those oil fields have become Russian territorial waters.
Ukraine has had EU companies like Shell invest in exploiting those and competing with Russian gas. Ukraine also charges Russia for use of pipelines to the EU.

I think Russia wants to take all the oil and gas fields, or at least guarantee Ukraine won't be able to compete in the market.

(Paywalled)
https://emergingmarketsdirect.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/independence-through-extraction-for-ukraine/

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_in_Ukraine#Shale_gas

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's not like there's a choice until Ukrainian tanks are rolling down Red square. EU could be a decent substitute that allows Putin to save face if he's not completely mental.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Discord and Spotify are completely dead. The cyber war is ruthless.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Play posted:

It links to the CSPAM Ukraine thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/adlist.php

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Tim Whatley posted:

Discord and Spotify are completely dead. The cyber war is ruthless.

I have to travel all day :(

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

the popes toes posted:

Spotify and Discord is fucky as well, hosting issues I'd guess.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

the popes toes posted:

AWS having more issues. Seems unrelated.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apple Music works fine. Insert Joe Rogan reaction smily here

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A rare thread on the state of Ukrainian armed forces in the South of the country.

https://twitter.com/billroggio/status/1500915123023753218

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Discord is working fine for me. Been on it all day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So rare it has been posted 5 or 6 times here today.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Doctor Butts posted:

Not until Pizza Hut shuts down.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1501193298928705542

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ijyt posted:

Anyone else perplexed by this threads eagerness to climb over themselves to proclaim "yes Ukranians did well today but here's 10 fantasy reasons why Russia will still win, regretfully".

:jerkbag:

If you expect disappointment then you won't be disappointed!

That said I still have hopes that Ukraine will prevail somehow, I'm not as cynical as I thought I guess. The way I see it is Ukraine has an overwhelming psychological advantage.

By all accounts Russia's soldiers thought they were going to be performing exercises and intimidating Ukraine, they didn't have the psychological acclimatization time to hype themselves up and de-humanise the enemy. They have poorly maintained equipment and supply issues as well, which is eroding the morale they mustered together after being thrown into a fight mentally unprepared. They'll advance lethargically, be overly cautious exiting their armoured vehicles, avoid advantageous battles to conserve supplies or be routing much quicker than they otherwise would have.

In contrast Ukraine is forced to defend their lives and sovereignty, they are bolstered by the defiance of their leaders and their principled stand against imperial tyranny. I believe there will be opposition and insurgency from them for as long as Russia's military is invading or occupying their country, no matter what happens. They are high on their propaganda and publicised successes, at this point they would fight to the last man against impossible odds, never mind the improbable ones they currently face.

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1501268895939837954

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

Discord is working fine for me. Been on it all day.

Discord not working for me on my home internet or separate 5g connection.

welp.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Reports of GPS jamming/spoofing in some parts of Eastern and Central Finland. Has caused small disruptions on certain airports. Last time similar things happened was in 2018 during a NATO military exercise in Lapland.

(in Finnish)
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12348237

https://twitter.com/teijalarikka/status/1499469001763741700

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Came here to post this.

Aside from the fact of the matter, I think the key takeaway is that the US and Poland have assessed that the obvious coming gift is worth doing, which says something about the military situation.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Are they going to Rammstein to be re-fitted for Ukrainian use or something then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Came here to post this.

Aside from the fact of the matter, I think the key takeaway is that the US and Poland have assessed that the obvious coming gift is worth doing, which says something about the military situation.

the mechanics (including sending the jets to germany first) suggest poland is getting a little antsy about russian retaliation