Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501263231947612162?s=20&t=twe1L13mJ3TmCAOx3ZFdTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the mechanics (including sending the jets to germany first) suggest poland is getting a little antsy about russian retaliation

Yep. So basically Poland is "trading" them to the US, and the US will in turn donate them to Ukraine.

I guess Ukraine will be flying a bunch of pilots to Germany to pick them up?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That's a very thin veil of plausible deniability, but I guess it's enough to protect Poland from retaliation?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the popes toes posted:

This is a fairly fascinating watch of a prominant Belorusian combat vet telling his countrymen not to go into Ukraine, for all the right reasons

https://twitter.com/dbiggs0001/status/1500957531073568770?cxt=HHwWhICz6YG7vNQpAAAA

this dude owns. Shame how many otherwise well spoken, articulate russians are throwing themselves into the fire and just leaving nothing behind

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheRat posted:

Are they going to Rammstein to be re-fitted for Ukrainian use or something then?

Someone mentioned that NATO IFF and datalink systems would have to be removed. (Though keeping the datalink would be really useful I imagine)

But it's just as much a way for Poland to dodge donating them directly.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Good. Let's increase the sanctions some more then.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I just saw. Huge news. I assume Poland is going to get F-16s either from the Boneyard or that are being retired for F-35s along with assurance they will get F-35s in the next 18 months.

Giving Poland 40-60 F-16s is a win-win-win here. It gives Ukraine needed equipment right now, it gives Poland a major step up in capabilities in the near term and a increase in airframes, it cost the US almost nothing since these were sunk cost and a majority would have likely gone to the Boneyard.

Long term once Poland gets F-35s these F-16s could easily go to Ukraine as well since I would be utterly amazed if Ukraine doesn't have personal training on US made equipment right now. Like I said before having 150 recruits sent to the US to train for use and maintenance of the F-16 pays off in spades down the road. Same with other equipment.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Can't sanction what you already aren't getting. Putin wins(?)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

That was Nordstream 2. This cuts off the rest of the gas that Germany was unwilling to sanction.

Gas that Germany is heavily dependent upon

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

TyrantWD posted:

Discord is working fine for me. Been on it all day.

Recently? All the channels I'm in stopped showing any new activity about an hour ago.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Doctor Butts posted:

Discord not working for me on my home internet or separate 5g connection.

https://discordstatus.com/

Seems to be a major API issue going on. Seems to be happening a lot lately. They push out so many updates so quickly I really do wonder what they test setup is like.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

TheRat posted:

Are they going to Rammstein to be re-fitted for Ukrainian use or something then?

Wingtip flamethrower re-fit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

That was Nordstream 2. This cuts off the rest of the gas that Germany was unwilling to sanction.

It seems as though this technique might have had more impact in February.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

this dude owns. Shame how many otherwise well spoken, articulate russians are throwing themselves into the fire and just leaving nothing behind

The absolute tragedy of these kinds of dictatorships is there are incredibly capable, moral people who have their lives ruined for standing up to the government. It's why some of the worst rise to the top: you either have to abandon your own principles or get broken on the wheel.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Polish Airforce might not be too hot about getting worn out F-16, there were already complains that Mig-29 were easier and cheaper to service. On the other hand we're talking about government that bought Abrams tanks despite all domestic experts saying it's a dumb idea, and we should get more Leopards instead..

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I guess my big concern here is that Poland will be temporarily "shields down" while the bulk of their airforce is away.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Djarum posted:

https://discordstatus.com/

Seems to be a major API issue going on. Seems to be happening a lot lately. They push out so many updates so quickly I really do wonder what they test setup is like.

So not maybe cyberwarfare, just really bad timing?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

alex314 posted:

Polish Airforce might not be too hot about getting worn out F-16, there were already complains that Mig-29 were easier and cheaper to service. On the other hand we're talking about government that bought Abrams tanks despite all domestic experts saying it's a dumb idea, and we should get more Leopards instead..

They should all watch Iron Eagle. They'll come around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

It seems as though this technique might have had more impact in February.

They replaced a lot of their electricity generation form Nuclear with natural gas. It will have an impact.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Missing Name posted:

If they cut off Nord Stream 1, Germany is hosed

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Djarum posted:

I just saw. Huge news. I assume Poland is going to get F-16s either from the Boneyard or that are being retired for F-35s along with assurance they will get F-35s in the next 18 months.

Giving Poland 40-60 F-16s is a win-win-win here. It gives Ukraine needed equipment right now, it gives Poland a major step up in capabilities in the near term and a increase in airframes, it cost the US almost nothing since these were sunk cost and a majority would have likely gone to the Boneyard.

Long term once Poland gets F-35s these F-16s could easily go to Ukraine as well since I would be utterly amazed if Ukraine doesn't have personal training on US made equipment right now. Like I said before having 150 recruits sent to the US to train for use and maintenance of the F-16 pays off in spades down the road. Same with other equipment.

Don’t F-35s have the problem of every hour of flight requiring more than an hour of maintenance? I thought they were good jets on paper but terrible in practice but I have no idea.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Calibanibal posted:

I guess my big concern here is that Poland will be temporarily "shields down" while the bulk of their airforce is away.
I thought their MiG-29s were a portion but not the entirety of their air force. It sounds like they have F-16s already as well as Su-22s.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

They still have their F-16s.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I strongly suspect the executive order gives Putin the option to cut off that gas flow, but is not him actually doing it yet. Basically, just another threat that is largely empty (cutting off gas means Russia gets no hard currency at all, it would hurt Russia as much or more as it would hurt Germany).

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Morrow posted:

The absolute tragedy of these kinds of dictatorships is there are incredibly capable, moral people who have their lives ruined for standing up to the government. It's why some of the worst rise to the top: you either have to abandon your own principles or get broken on the wheel.

Yeah. Throughout history over and over again, there's whole generations of brilliant artists, authors, scientists, philosophers, poets, investigative journalists, engineers etc. who were wiped out by authoritarian incompetent boobs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it bad that my reaction to this is "good"?

Like, I get that Germany needs that gas and that's why they haven't sanctioned it, but Putin needs to sell his gas and his calculation is that Germany will be pressed to lift the other sanctions to get their gas back and I just don't see that happening. If anything, it's just going to piss Germany off more.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Djarum posted:

Denmark and Norway have airframes in storage as well, and I think they are pretty well maintained.

Calibanibal posted:

NATO fighters are stationed in Poland, they'll be fine.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Play posted:

Disputed territory seized by Russia after ww2. They're relatively small, but it's a LONG chain of islands stretching basically from Russia to Japan.

Japan only claims the four islands closest to Hokkaido. Everything north of that they ceded by treaty to Russia in the 19th century. The southern four were just occupied post-ww2 under “the gently caress you going to do” doctrine. They’ve never abandoned those claims and tried to resolve the issue just 3 years ago by negotiations

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Isn't this cutting off the nose to spite the face? I get that this hurts Germany, but wouldn't it also be cutting off their own one big remaining revenue source?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This is real Russian Roulette, every chamber is full and they're just repeatedly unloading into their own skull

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mef989 posted:

Isn't this cutting off the nose to spite the face? I get that this hurts Germany, but wouldn't it also be cutting off their own one big remaining revenue source?

Putin basically wants to do the inverse the EU is and make Russia less dependent on imports and exports.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

alex314 posted:

Doesn't Poland already have the Leopard 2PL? Seems kind of weird to put M1A2s into the mix.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

“the gently caress you going to do” doctrine.

Putin hosed around with this just a tad too much and the world is starting to see the consequences of leaning on that doctrine too heavily.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Telsa Cola posted:

There is a QCS thread about it, for what its worth.

Wow why is QCS such a dumpster fire? I thought that was the official mod support forum but all the replies are just shitposts. Sure seems like the admin take stuff very seriously.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Both the pessimistic and optimistic outcomes of this basically involve Russia ultimately taking most or all of Ukraine barring some unforeseen extraordinary event. Then Russia has to deal with what will be one of the largest and best equipped insurgencies ever. The whole situation is incredibly bleak and what Ukraine is fighting for isn't short term decisive military victory over Russia. To quote one person more knowledgeable than me, 'you don't quickly defeat an enemy with 2700 tanks by destroying 10 tanks a day.'

Ukraine's situation is incredibly bleak, it's also probably in the best position it's been in in the last 8 years. Their win condition is to continue resisting long enough for sanctions and international and domestic pressure on Russia to force them to the table. Barring Russia doing some stupid stuff on a level unprecedented even for this war, Ukraine doesn't win the conventional war any time soon. The more pertinent question was and remains 'how pyrrhic of a victory will it be for Russia?'

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

My immediate :tinfoil: interpretation of this is that Russia's vassalization to China is pretty much inevitable at this point and that this is these wheels starting to turn already.

Edit: Not in the sense that China is antagonizing Europe, but that they are securing these resources for themselves.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 8, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CommieGIR posted:

They replaced a lot of their electricity generation form Nuclear with natural gas. It will have an impact.

This is just as false as all the other times it was brought up, hth.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Doesn't Poland already have the Leopard 2PL? Seems kind of weird to put M1A2s into the mix.

:tinfoil: This is a plot by Warthunder to justify premium vehicles for the Poland tree!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mef989 posted:

Yeah, and the only thing this ensures is that it makes sure everyone in Germany should understand that you cannot trust the Russians anymore, and they need to switch to something else or get a new source sooner rather than later.

So Putin basically is threatening their last customers that he might cut them off or not deliver already bought stuff just to be an rear end in a top hat, further speeding up the process of customers leaving. Logic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wow why is QCS such a dumpster fire? I thought that was the official mod support forum but all the replies are just shitposts. Sure seems like the admin take stuff very seriously.

its the official forum for tattletales and people who take posting too seriously.