Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Halloween Jack posted:

Weird question: is there a reason to prefer the Wizardry style names for spells instead of just Cure2, Fire3, etc?

Only if you think it somehow looks better because it's literally the same thing:

ra = 2
ga = 3
ja = 4
...etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Halloween Jack posted:

Weird question: is there a reason to prefer the Wizardry style names for spells instead of just Cure2, Fire3, etc?
"immersion"

(I will admit that the loving in-universe book in XIV in the Great Gubal Library talking about how learned scholars were arguing over what to call Holy 2 or whatever was hilarious)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Numbers are for needs, ra/ga/ja/za for life.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Halloween Jack posted:

It's halfway to the superior system where you can construct every possible option of power, grouping and reversal by prefixes and suffixes that make you feel like a wizard when you figure out the rules.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've invented the sequel to Fire, Fire2

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That tracks. When you've exhausted Fire, Fire 2, and Fire 3 for ideas, the only option left is to go into space or gently caress around with time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

numbers are more powerful than letters

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kamek, mage supreme, used shapes, which are made of math and can be arranged into letters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

PK Fire Omega sounds way cooler than PK Fire 4

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Use roman numerals and get the power of both

FIRE
FIII
FIII
FIIV

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
FIIVer

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I select FF4 from the magic menu and the screen fades to black. The Squaresoft logo appears.

33 hours later, I am back mid-battle with a Malboro. 205 damage.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
F3u3r
Foreign language AND double numbers
Only thing missing is singing and music

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Fire
2ire
Fire: Tokyo Drift

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2PR should've used the suffix model. I want to see what suffix Fire16 gets.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
firajajajaja

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

FF2PR should've used the suffix model. I want to see what suffix Fire16 gets.

Firapa the rappa

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Play FF14 and get the best of both worlds

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motto posted:

A notable part of galuf's death scene is that the other three literally stand around him spamming spells to no effect

Very awkward during my 3-berserker run. You stupid assholes are too dumb to be able to pick your actions you really think you could cast sufficient healing magic? Please

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

High Fira in the Japanese version, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bentacos posted:

firajajajaja

Lol

Evil Fluffy posted:

Firapa the rappa

Lol

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Waterga-ship Down

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is actually really funny because Yoshida had to actually speak to higher ups in charge of Final Fantasy brand management about the possibility of making a new spell suffix before deciding on just making it "High Fira/High Blizzzara"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Imagine being in charge of Final Fantasy Brand Management and caring a lot about spell suffixes while being completely fine with Strangers of Paradise.

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Jack use suffixes or numbers?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does Jack use suffixes or numbers?

Suffixes

Curaga is a whole-party spell compared to cura's single target (also Haste/Hastega)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Imagine being in charge of Final Fantasy Brand Management and caring a lot about spell suffixes while being completely fine with Strangers of Paradise.

Sounds like something Chaos would say

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

SoP is the most FF the franchise has ever been. It fits in the same tone as the PSX era poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SoP is the most FF the franchise has ever been. It fits in the same tone as the PSX era poo poo.

Oh, I definitely agree. I just assume FF brand management to be weird corporate suits who want to protect the sanctity of an otherwise very weird franchise.

I'm probably wrong about all this though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1501256684722962432?t=N9wwAPFBflljm0zjoKjFXg&s=19

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are y’all playing on PC or console?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Console, if I can pull myself from Elden Ring. And I have to find time for Kirby too.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

PC, I don't have a PS4/PS5. I've got an i7-7700K and like 32GB of ram and a 3060 so I'm pretty sure it'll run fine. Gotta start looking into replacing my mobo/CPU one of these days tho.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PS4 is my only option and I'm praying the performance hit isn't that bad.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Will be PC.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mordiceius posted:

Are y’all playing on PC or console?
lol at owning consoles, lol at ever using the Epic store, I'm waiting for it to come to Steam in a year or whatever I guess

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, I guess my i5 isn't going to cut it anymore. :(

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ps5, the way final fantasy games are meant to be played

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is it just me or is the encounter rate in FFX stupidly high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s okay because FFX has a good combat system