Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sheridan has basically become the Matt Rosenberg of Teen Titans, but also somehow way worse; he writes the book practically as an elaborate troll, with everything designed deliberately to make you hate every character and everything they stand for.

At least it'll be over soon, but between him, Bendis on Justice League and LoSH, and whatever gibberish has been happening in Suicide Squad, it's been a pretty miserable year for DCU team books.

(Robin is definitely great though, yeah.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Adnor posted:

I'm also from La Araucanía, not Santiago, so even more!

oh god buying ANYTHING nerdy if you're not a Santiaguino is hell

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1496934682839027716?s=20&t=KkqnZZLFRjOnQ9eWA-6BvA

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, has anyone else ever written Daredevil and Blue Daredevil at the same time?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Wow, has anyone else ever written Daredevil and Blue Daredevil at the same time?

I don't know the timeline between Miller's Daredevil and Miller's Batman stuff, but I think you're right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
now it's red batman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I don't know the timeline between Miller's Daredevil and Miller's Batman stuff, but I think you're right.

Miller finished his Daredevil run with #191, cover date February 1983, then Dark Knight Returns started in 1986. He and Steve Gerber apparently made a pitch to DC to revamp Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman in between, but it was rejected.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Strictly speaking, Born Again and The Dark Knight Returns overlapped in 1986, but one of those was a mini-series and the other was a limited run.

The other asterisk would be Alan Grant and DG Chichester, who wrote both characters simultaneously in the Batman/Daredevil and Daredevil/Batman crossovers, both while writing the ongoing series for one of the two characters.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Gerry Conway might have had like a single issue of Daredevil still on the stands while he was writing Batman in Justice League of America, if that counts. maybe an issue of Detective Comics if they had to bust out an inventory issue of DD, too.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Adnor posted:

I'm also from La Araucanía, not Santiago, so even more!

Siegkrow posted:

oh god buying ANYTHING nerdy if you're not a Santiaguino is hell

Y'all don't like gambling on wether Chilexpress will actually deliver your packages?

And speaking of Gerry Conway...

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1496611743761518595

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Because all the Almighty Algorithm cares about is SEO and promoting Kindle Unlimited. Curation and discovery tools? What're those? (Plus there's a bunch of 'self-published' stuff that is just straight pirated rips of existing comics)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chip on Batman sounds good. Hopefully it'll be as good as Nightwing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Four Jokers?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nessus posted:

Four Jokers?

(James Cameron comes into the room and whispers into Chip's ear.)

Four Joker$.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mark Waid sent Chip a nice email.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endless Mike posted:

Mark Waid sent Chip a nice email.

:discourse:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Four Jokers?

Two Batmen. Six Jokers

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xelkelvos posted:

Two Batmen. Six Jokers
DC Black Label:

Two Batmen; sex Jokers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
will they let batman go down on the sex jokers tho

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wonder Woman Historia #2 art preview

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That looks dope, I need to pick up that book

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DC Universe Infinite is 50% off an annual membership ($37.49) tomorrow only.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it's related to a DC comic series so maybe?

I usually buy all my comics in TPBs, but I wanted to try following the new Human Target series by Tom King. So, I have no experience with buying monthly comics outside of picking up the odd issue from a newspaper stand when I was a kid.

I managed to get issues 1-4 with relative ease. My local comic shop had them in ample stock, so I was able to walk in and get them the weeks they were released.

Then issue 5 came out and I can't find a copy anywhere. I've been to three comic stores and they've been cleaned out. They have lots of the older issues, but none of issue 5.

What do I do about this? I want to continue reading, but I don't want to miss an issue. Is there a way to order directly from DC?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nessus posted:

Four Jokers?

3 Jokers and a Batman Who Laughs.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Dr.D-O posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it's related to a DC comic series so maybe?

I usually buy all my comics in TPBs, but I wanted to try following the new Human Target series by Tom King. So, I have no experience with buying monthly comics outside of picking up the odd issue from a newspaper stand when I was a kid.

I managed to get issues 1-4 with relative ease. My local comic shop had them in ample stock, so I was able to walk in and get them the weeks they were released.

Then issue 5 came out and I can't find a copy anywhere. I've been to three comic stores and they've been cleaned out. They have lots of the older issues, but none of issue 5.

What do I do about this? I want to continue reading, but I don't want to miss an issue. Is there a way to order directly from DC?

Midtown Comics has it, might be your best bet if you've already checked everybody local.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Dr.D-O posted:

If you don't mind reading on a computer/phone/tablet, you can buy the digital comics from comixology (now amazon)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent posted:

If you don't mind reading on a computer/phone/tablet, you can buy the digital comics from comixology (now amazon)

Although as a warning the new Amazon Comixology PC reader is complete garbage. I think it's supposed to be better on tablet but PC it's just awful. I don't know why they just didn't keep using the same reader Comixology has.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

Although as a warning the new Amazon Comixology PC reader is complete garbage. I think it's supposed to be better on tablet but PC it's just awful. I don't know why they just didn't keep using the same reader Comixology has.

They also undid my subscriptions. It was bad in many ways.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh the Amazon/Comixology shite is heinous. The whole thing remains a fiasco with no indication when it will get better, probably because Amazon itself couldn't care less.

Speaking of Amazons :rimshot:, previews for the first two parts of Trial of the Amazons are out and be warned that the second preview flatly spoils a huge friggin' part of the story. Like, major character death huge. Seems to be a lot of that going around these days. :sweatdrop:

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/03/04/dc-preview-trial-of-the-amazons-1/
https://aiptcomics.com/2022/03/04/dc-preview-nubia-and-the-amazons-6/

As for the story itself so far...eh. This might be a bit of nitpicking, but I hate that none of the Themyscirans are wearing their bracelets. I hope it's an artist oversight or something, because I've long always said that any writer who doesn't know enough about the Amazons to know about the history of their bracelets and why they wear them shouldn't be writing a Wonder Woman book. And this story has five whole writers. Not an auspicious start, imo.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Another great Tom Taylor joint this week on Superman, featuring Nightwing. I'm glad he's getting to run with semi-prominent books rather than being restricted to mostly elseworlds-type stuff (though he's generally great there too).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Another great Tom Taylor joint this week on Superman, featuring Nightwing. I'm glad he's getting to run with semi-prominent books rather than being restricted to mostly elseworlds-type stuff (though he's generally great there too).

It's extremely good and he definitely nails Dick's voice and personality. It's also a nice not to bring up all of the ways Dick is connected to Superman and Jon, either directly or through their own mutual connection of Damian.

First two parts of Trial of the Amazons is out and it's...okay? It's yes another new shakeup to Wonder Woman's personal lore grounds that's barely had much time to settle. Hippolyta's death was something one could see a mile away and it probably won't stick for too long. Donna and Cassie show up, but Donna hasn't actually done anything in these two parts yet other than be in a spread that also includes Cassie, Yara and the new Amazonian tribe.

Batgirls is not bad. There's a good jokey vibe to it and it's a bit refreshing in comparison to the other Bat-books currently running save for Nightwing. This is my favorite line out of this issue. Not the various coded All Star references or the censored rant by Cassie or even the reveal of the villain (which is also an interesting version of a foe that was introduced elsewhere but now is canon).

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Xelkelvos posted:

Batgirls is not bad. There's a good jokey vibe to it and it's a bit refreshing in comparison to the other Bat-books currently running save for Nightwing. This is my favorite line out of this issue. Not the various coded All Star references or the censored rant by Cassie or even the reveal of the villain (which is also an interesting version of a foe that was introduced elsewhere but now is canon).

Bag Girl is the best character arc out of DC in years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Sigh. I was really hoping to be impressed by Trial of the Amazons, but instead every fear I had about them stuffing five writers and four artists onto an issue got validated instead.

Glancing at some other sites, it seems that people mostly are good with it? Maybe you shouldn't take me all that seriously and would actually end up enjoying this instead...but still, it's kinda annoying that this seems to be the best that DC can do for these characters.

The plot itself is...mostly...fine (I will leave the implications of the story allowing Hippolyta some gay scenes and then immediately killing her off for someone else to dissect), while the execution is just sloppy. On a purely technical level, there is some really awkward art and composition and at least one panel of dialogue coming out of the wrong characters' mouths.

Not that you'd be able to easily tell, because the dialogue here is clumsy as hell and feels written mostly just to fill the air with words; scripting is definitely the weakest part of this whole affair. Characters gab at each other endlessly to fill page space, they seem to get offended or mollified at whatever someone else just said to someone else without rhyme or reason, and there are a couple of pages where you could randomly swap the order of sentences and not make much difference to anything because the ebb and flow of conversation is just so aimless. There's a page where Diana and Nubia are, like, making the exact same points but for some reason the dialogue makes it sound like they're disagreeing with each other instead? You're hard-pressed to feel or even understand the actual stakes of the story because it wastes pages on end on Amazons verbally sparring like an endless twitter thread instead of actually making anyone's motivations clear.

Worst of all is how this all reduces Diana herself to just bland set dressing, constantly reacting to things without much input. She came back to the island because Nubia asked her to. She wants to talk to the Esquecidas but is told to wait. She wants to see her mother but gets denied and then goaded into a pissing match by Faruka. Her mother dies and there's one panel of her reaction to this. There's four whole pages of discussion amongst the primary Amazons about what to do in the wake of this event and Diana does not say a single word through any of it. Wonder Woman finally shows some proactivity in the last scene of the second issue, and I can't be sure that the next scene of the next issue won't just be Nubia telling her "Nah you can't do that."

I hope to be wrong because I haven't seen many outright negative reactions to this all yet, but I just can't imagine anyone reading this event and being like "Boy this Amazon stuff sure is compelling, I sure do wanna see more of this." The best I can say is that it's at least better than the last Wonder Woman event we've had and not actually the worst two books that came out this week, but only because there were two Bendis books as well.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 9, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Sigh. I was really hoping to be impressed by Trial of the Amazons, but instead every fear I had about them stuffing five writers and four artists onto an issue got validated instead.

Glancing at some other sites, it seems that people mostly are good with it? Maybe you shouldn't take me all that seriously and would actually end up enjoying this instead...but still, it's kinda annoying that this seems to be the best that DC can do for these characters.

The plot itself is...mostly...fine (I will leave the implications of the story allowing Hippolyta some gay scenes and then immediately killing her off for someone else to dissect), while the execution is just sloppy. On a purely technical level, there is some really awkward art and composition and at least one panel of dialogue coming out of the wrong characters' mouths.

Not that you'd be able to easily tell, because the dialogue here is clumsy as hell and feels written mostly just to fill the air with words; scripting is definitely the weakest part of this whole affair. Characters gab at each other endlessly to fill page space, they seem to get offended or mollified at whatever someone else just said to someone else without rhyme or reason, and there are a couple of pages where you could randomly swap the order of sentences and not make much difference to anything because the ebb and flow of conversation is just so aimless. There's a page where Diana and Nubia are, like, making the exact same points but for some reason the dialogue makes it sound like they're disagreeing with each other instead? You're hard-pressed to feel or even understand the actual stakes of the story because it wastes pages on end on Amazons verbally sparring like an endless twitter thread instead of actually making anyone's motivations clear.

Worst of all is how this all reduces Diana herself to just bland set dressing, constantly reacting to things without much input. She came back to the island because Nubia asked her to. She wants to talk to the Esquecidas but is told to wait. She wants to see her mother but gets denied and then goaded into a pissing match by Faruka. Her mother dies and there's one panel of her reaction to this. There's four whole pages of discussion amongst the primary Amazons about what to do in the wake of this event and Diana does not say a single word through any of it. Wonder Woman finally shows some proactivity in the last scene of the second issue, and I can't be sure that the next scene of the next issue won't just be Nubia telling her "Nah you can't do that."

I hope to be wrong because I haven't seen many outright negative reactions to this all yet, but I just can't imagine anyone reading this event and being like "Boy this Amazon stuff sure is compelling, I sure do wanna see more of this." The best I can say is that it's at least better than the last Wonder Woman event we've had and not actually the worst two books that came out this week, but only because there were two Bendis books as well.

I agree with pretty much all of these points. It's not outright awful, but it's definitely a giant mess. At least from the foot it's starting from.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

BrianWilly posted:

I hope to be wrong because I haven't seen many outright negative reactions to this all yet, but I just can't imagine anyone reading this event and being like "Boy this Amazon stuff sure is compelling, I sure do wanna see more of this."

In large part because Wonder Woman fans number in the dozens at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inkspot posted:

In large part because Wonder Woman fans number in the dozens at this point.

There's a poo poo ton of Wonder Woman fans, they just don't buy comics.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

There's a poo poo ton of Wonder Woman fans, they just don't buy comics.

They are definitely one of the DC fanbases that is aging at an alarming rate. True for most comics in general but with Wonder Woman the only time the property had any life was when the Super Hero Girls existed. Much like the Flash I used to be a big Wonder Woman fan when I got back into reading comics in college, but now they have both been so underwhelming for like two Decades I rarely bother to flip through them. Maybe after Dark Crisis they will finally launch a good one? It hurt even typing that.

I still think DC should have a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all ages comic line to maybe try and get some new readers to exist in a decade or two. Bless all the older gay men who keep the title alive. If it wasn't for them I would be selling in the dangerously low single digits.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kids love superheroes. Kids love comics. Kids don't love spending $4.99 to buy a 22-page pamphlet aimed at people five times their age that you can only buy in dingy little stores filled with pervy Harley Quinn statues.

The entire structure of the comic book industry (I'm speaking primarily about DC/Marvel) has to change if it wants to be anything more than an IP farm for their respective movie/TV divisions. The question is: Does it really want to be anything other than that?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The shift to graphic novels for middle school / young adult stuff has led to a pretty successful corner to push IPs without the creative/publishing structure of periodicals and their pervy statue venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I don’t know why you all are focusing on the statues thing. I doubt it moves the needle one way or another.

Specialty shops in general are always going to be niche. You can see that as Manga itself keeps increasing its market share pretty fast as it isn’t burdened by that stuff anymore