Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Sounds more like creeve to me? Or some "khl" sound I am unable to mimic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Keith

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Thread title tbh

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the same reason everyone started spelling it kyiv, because that's probably closer to the correct pronunciation and suddenly everyone is very keen to be performatively supportive about things they didn't give a poo poo about last month.

I don't see anyone tripping over themselves to start calling Bangkok 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon'

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm a bit too full to eat my Chicken Київ after snacking all day on मुंबई mix

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

wwuwuruhg noow is not the tiiiiime for a tutuliturian russhia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't see anyone tripping over themselves to start calling Bangkok 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon'

Well, yeah, that's why I'm a bit cynical about it. I doubt the journos really care it just seems like middle class highly selective performativity.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Mega Comrade posted:

Cmon you gotta at least go whole hog if you're gonna do that.

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Overminty posted:

Cmon you gotta at least go whole hog if you're gonna do that.

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.

Only the posh Thai call it that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually it's Londonkrungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I was under the impression - and this is obviously third-hand information - the specific issue was that the original English-language name was actually based on and/or more similar to the Russian-language name than the Ukrainian one. Which isn't ideal.

Like maybe it is self-congratulatory navel-gazing but it's not like changing it is very onerous so

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I view it as similar to saying Ukraine, not the Ukraine. Just because commentariat twats are doing it, doesn't mean it's not a good thing to do.

I find it very hard to get out of WW2 Eastern front mode when reading place names though...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1501268054486831109

sigh

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

Sounds more like creeve to me? Or some "khl" sound I am unable to mimic.

Sounded like kre-yeev to my ears. :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I was under the impression - and this is obviously third-hand information - the specific issue was that the original English-language name was actually based on and/or more similar to the Russian-language name than the Ukrainian one. Which isn't ideal.

Like maybe it is self-congratulatory navel-gazing but it's not like changing it is very onerous so
Yeah, language might not be magic soul juice that literally changes the way that you think but it does mean a lot to identity, more than more abstract forms of economics or power at the immediate group social level.

That's why it comes up so often in anticolonial contexts. (But also why e.g. Fanon would say that postcolonial nationalist leaders prefer dicking around with city names than they do actually addressing the more abstract forms of economics or power, but nonetheless it's not an idea without any power during times of struggle.)

mrpwase posted:

I view it as similar to saying Ukraine, not the Ukraine.
What about that tattoo on your chest?

Dmitry Utkin: No, that's German for 'The Ukraine The'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably be less cynical if they weren't writing style guides while also pushing refugees back into the channel tbh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That guy is a Russian nazi not a Ukrainian one for anyone who doesn't know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah he's one of the ones who thinks that the Ukraine is just a region of Russia being wrong on purpose.

Also apparently sent to 'denazify' it.

OwlFancier posted:

I would probably be less cynical if they weren't writing style guides while also pushing refugees back into the channel tbh.
I'd guess that libs are just adopting it in response to grassroots, rather than the other way around. While still sucking rear end at substantial change as always.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
People discover a thing they are doing is problematic. And stop doing it.

loving performative bastards.

I will never do the right thing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

People discover a thing they are doing is problematic. And stop doing it.

loving performative bastards.

I will never do the right thing.

We know.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kyith

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This all reminds me of every fucker on the BBC insisting on pronouncing chorizo as 'tho-ree-tho' and, like, I get it, but we're not in Valencia and no one is popping into 'prey-a-mange' for a sandwich, why that word specifically???

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I pronounce every word 100% authentically, it's very respectful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A prey in a manger, prince andrew's christmas number 1.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Tbf I get a little annoyed when people call Edinburgh 'EDINBORO' or 'EDINBURG'. Get it right for heavens sake!

(It's obviously pronounced "London of the north")

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's pronounced Glass Cow.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Tbf Edin-brah is the odd one out when it comes to -burgh place name pronunciations in the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbf Edin-brah is the odd one out when it comes to -burgh place name pronunciations in the UK.

Musselburgh?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Luff-bra

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Is that not more -burra than -brah, or have I just been pronouncing Edinburgh like a dickhead my whole life?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Middlesbrough is literally spelled that way and people sometimes spell it wrong because they think it's supposed to be borough.

Also it is called "the boro" to annoy foreigners.

Also I think the only two places I've been with something like that suffix are boro and edinburgh and I pronounce both the same way.

And I shall do the same thing if evver a vizzit the burruh uv towwer amlets.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 8, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

This all reminds me of every fucker on the BBC insisting on pronouncing chorizo as 'tho-ree-tho' and, like, I get it, but we're not in Valencia and no one is popping into 'prey-a-mange' for a sandwich, why that word specifically???

But you would pronounce the "T" because it's followed by a vowel, and you pronounce the "-er" as "ay" at the end of an infinitive, so I'd say "Pret-A-Mon-zhay" in both French and English. My French is quite poo poo tho

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I am extremely painfully monolingual and it shows

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess calling it anything more than "Pret" might mark you out as a knob tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Learn german if you want a second one, much better than french IMO, cos I literally cannot make french noises. Also if you go back far enough english turns into german so it's like cheating.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Wait, I say Edin-burra and I live here!

wtf have I been saying it wrong my whole life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbM7aPA6O6U

No way man, I don't recognise this.

edit: If you click the sound icon at the start of the wiki page the guy there says it like how I say it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 8, 2022

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

German is a cool language

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly if they could take out the genders and irregular nouns german would be the best language IMO.

Which I guess is just anglish.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1501218315477434374?s=19

The Press keeps finding Nazis to interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why would you assume they are nazis, they could just be big fans of Altered Beast.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2022