Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is not dumb poo poo, my work evacuated nearly all (might be all not sure) 340+ Ukranian employees and their families out of Kharkiv and Kyiv to safer places/countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

From the Trumplol thread:

https://twitter.com/audrawilliams/status/1500669564711014401

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My boss told me today that he's never had more complaints about someone then he gets about me. I got worried for like half a second, until he said "They'll send me these chat logs and I'm like 'That's the exact same poo poo I'd tell you, dumbass', but then I just tell them 'OK, I'll look into it' then delete the email because gently caress 'em."

We have a pretty entitled userbase and I'm certain the one that made him bring it up was the user last week who needed Outlook fixed on one computer but was flabbergasted that I would refuse... Because he has two computers, and the one where Outlook didn't work was old as poo poo and out of warranty, so my resolution method was "Nah, gently caress that, you got a working PC, let's make sure everything you need works on it then we can trash the other PC."

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Cthulu Carl posted:

My boss told me today that he's never had more complaints about someone then he gets about me. I got worried for like half a second, until he said "They'll send me these chat logs and I'm like 'That's the exact same poo poo I'd tell you, dumbass', but then I just tell them 'OK, I'll look into it' then delete the email because gently caress 'em."

Similar to me getting a talking to for *checks notes* telling my discipline managers that they are responsible for sizing their teams appropriately for the work we have, not me.

Oh and also trying to get the organization to concur with delaying a change for like, a full year, so we could show that we meet requirements for the limiting analytical case.

Those got me a lot of heat but no actual official reprimand that I had to acknowledge.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Work has just said they’re giving people 4 weeks notice to say they’re going to a “hybrid” back to office model whatever the gently caress that means.

I’m currently writing my boss to say that they can shove it as a) I work 3000 miles from the closest major group of my colleagues so meetings will be online exclusive ANYWAY, and b) all my work is digitally received so there’s no need to collaborate with anyone in person ever.

Gotta jump ahead of this before someone assumes I’m okay with sitting in a cubical being bothered by people not in my loving department anymore.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Alkydere posted:

Two problems with that.

The minor problem: I would likely lose my easy rear end job where I don't sweat for Amazon.
The major problem: they wouldn't notice as anything I could do without getting in trouble would be lost in the white noise.

You're just thinking too small

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Reads like "management wants to be tortured by having the employees dogs chew on their balls before being executed when the class war starts" but what do I know. It's from a real estate developer so there's hope they go under or at least suffer if WFH continues.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Would 100% be showing up to that office in a sweat suit.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

This is not dumb poo poo, my work evacuated nearly all (might be all not sure) 340+ Ukranian employees and their families out of Kharkiv and Kyiv to safer places/countries

That's dope as gently caress and when the revolution comes I guess we can give your board of directors a conditional pass.

Seriously that's awesome.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

is your company a Ukrainian software development shop by chance

Barudak
May 7, 2007

insta posted:

is your company a Ukrainian software development shop by chance

It is not, big multinational thats in basically every country except america, and has (had?) massive operations in Russia.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
I'm expected to switch to short-sleeved shirt on Friday. It's still snowing outside.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mamkute posted:

I'm expected to switch to short-sleeved shirt on Friday. It's still snowing outside.

Time to get sleeve tattoos so they let you wear long sleeves.

VVV or that guy in one of my classes in college who wore multiple polo shirts at once, all with popped collars

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2022

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Be a rebel. Wear a short sleeved shirt over a long sleeved shirt

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mamkute posted:

Are you a private school student? What kind of bullshit company is this?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Time to get sleeve tattoos so they let you wear long sleeves.

VVV or that guy in one of my classes in college who wore multiple polo shirts at once, all with popped collars

Get sleeve tattoos... of shirt sleeves.
Blow the mind of whoever is enforcing this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Wear a vest instead of a shirt. Can't get shorter sleeves than no sleeves.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

Are you a private school student? What kind of bullshit company is this?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Wear the shiniest vest you can find, a sequened bowtie, and no shirt. Show those bastards whos boss.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

wear only the sleeves, just cut off the bottom 2/3 of your shirts (make sure you leave enough for the shirt pocket so u have a place for pens)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

blatman posted:

wear only the sleeves, just cut off the bottom 2/3 of your shirts (make sure you leave enough for the shirt pocket so u have a place for pens)

Leave the shirt pocket dangling below the cut, as a final gesture of contempt.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atopian posted:

Leave the shirt pocket dangling below the cut, as a final gesture of contempt.
"I want sure of your stance on nipples so I split the difference"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get some really long gloves.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Get a short sleeved shirt that is several sizes too big such that the sleeves cover your whole arm.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Potato sac has no sleeves and sends a clear message regarding your position on wages.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Spatule posted:

Yup. TLA are idiotic.

Dumb poo poo of the week: arguing with me about IP codes (as in Ingress Protection) and selling a customer an IP67 product instead of IP66 "because it's rated higher". Happened before with IP69K and IP68 too. Yes I know this is boring jargon.

I mean, I'm not super up on my IP levels, but isn't IP67 a higher level of protection than 66? Or is it just that the customer didn't need the higher level?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mamkute posted:

I wear stoner metal band t-shirts and jackets at work every day, but I also work nightshift manufacturing at a plant that is shuttering, and I live in NM so unless it's like 30 or less it's really not that cold to wear a t-shirt under a hoodie.

But that's not what they're asking you :(

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

lol that reminds me of all the manuals for daily tasks with the weird back office software i made

i had to do screenshots of every step because like there were two different menus named "tasks" or something like that so i'd snip and highlight the right one because unlike the career at the company girl who did them before, i understand when a design is confusing

mistakes went down while i was doing this so people were actually reading them!!

Same here, we use some weird software with no manuals so the pandemic has been "Verdugo makes job aids" ... seems like I have do do one every week at least for someone. How did these people function before this?

Mamkute posted:

Arm warmers.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Last week we were told that remote-capable positions were going to be required to return to the office next month.

Also last week, my newest junior hire (less than six months) put in his resignation for a position making almost twice as much as he is now, and within a very small number of digits of what I'm making. I'm an ansoc, so I'm down with people making more or less the same amount regardless of position, but in this capitalist hellscape I'm making far, far less than I should be for this role and my experience level, and I'd like to retire someday!

So I'm gettin the heck out! But because I have a job and I'm relatively comfortable, I've set the following rules:
  • A "WIP" limit of 10 positions
  • Sorry, I no longer do technical interviews. I have 22 yrs experience and have shipped 50+ titles, with my name on them, some of which are still available in the wild.
  • You have three days from our last communication to update, even if only to tell me we're still waiting for something, before I tell you I'm no longer interested
  • I will not accept a lower salary than the range for my position just because I live in the rear end end of Canuckistania. Unless you want to give me more than four weeks of vacation, in which case let's haggle.
Good lord I hate job searching.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Neito posted:

I mean, I'm not super up on my IP levels, but isn't IP67 a higher level of protection than 66? Or is it just that the customer didn't need the higher level?

Kinda, but it's going to depend on the application. The first number for an IP rating is for solids. A six means that it's dust proof. No dust gets in side. The second number is for water resistance. The six means that you can aim high pressure jets at it and you'll be good. Seven means you can dunk it for up to 30 minutes in water up to 1 meter.

So yes it's better, but also IP67 is going to be overkill for the vast majority of stuff. And it often has a bigger price tag. So if you don't need to dunk stuff, it's a waste of money.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Last week we were told that remote-capable positions were going to be required to return to the office next month.

Also last week, my newest junior hire (less than six months) put in his resignation for a position making almost twice as much as he is now, and within a very small number of digits of what I'm making. I'm an ansoc, so I'm down with people making more or less the same amount regardless of position, but in this capitalist hellscape I'm making far, far less than I should be for this role and my experience level, and I'd like to retire someday!

So I'm gettin the heck out! But because I have a job and I'm relatively comfortable, I've set the following rules:
  • Sorry, I no longer do technical interviews. I have 22 yrs experience and have shipped 50+ titles, with my name on them, some of which are still available in the wild.
  • You have three days from our last communication to update, even if only to tell me we're still waiting for something, before I tell you I'm no longer interested
  • I will not accept a lower salary than the range for my position just because I live in the rear end end of Canuckistania. Unless you want to give me more than four weeks of vacation, in which case let's haggle.

I quit a job near the start of a pandemic because I had 3 years experience at that job, 8 in the field, and a master’s degree in that very specific sector. I was the last remaining employee after the original other 5 quit and I took on an enormous amount of responsibility when everyone else bailed, despite being in my last semester of grad school.

They told me no raises cause of covid and then hired someone with a bachelor’s and 6-months experience on full-time at $600 less annually than made.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Maddening, isn't it?

One of the reasons I want to get out now is because I don't want to recruit for an underpaid position just to have to do it again 6 months from now.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm getting out of my position because the bosses just don't trust me anymore after I told them they hosed up manpower planning big time last year when they asked why we were short staffed.

6 years and my only actionable feedback was from trying to fix a problem.

Anyone looking for a project engineer/team leader/project manager with 6 years loving around on jet engines, shoot me a pm.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Barudak posted:

My company also does a lot of work with a Ukrainian company. A few of my team have managed to escape to other countries, but we lost contact with the majority (and had to cancel all their Teams access etc. for security reasons).

Today the whole team managed to join our stand up :dance: some of them looking a little worse for wear (and still in Kharkiv/Kyiv), but after two weeks of nothing it was great to see them. Not entirely sure I'd be so eager to work though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Just got my severance date pushed from Sept. to "Plan to work through December, expect to work through March."

Turns out the plan to shut down the plant that produces 100% of the products that account for 70% of yearly product sales in 1.5 years was loving harebrained bullshit.

They're going to end up spending so much loving money, in order to move all this production to Deutschland they need to build 2 additional SMD lines that aren't even ordered yet. As well, that plant has nothing but trouble delivering on the other 30% of the product line they produce with their extremely simple lines.

Very interested to see how this progresses since evidently they're 100% all-in on this proceeding even though it's falling the gently caress apart rapidly as orders outpace production 4 years running.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 9, 2022

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Neito posted:

It's a different test. Immersion vs jet of water. Most, but definitely not all, IP67 systems are also IP66. Many IP 69K systems are IP 67 but not IP 68 (which varies between manufacturers), or at least not tested as such. They could be in practitce, but It's a norm in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code#Second_digit:_Liquid_ingress_protection --> The ratings for water ingress are not cumulative beyond IPX6.

The issue is: if it fails and we said it's fine under the customer's conditions, we are hosed.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 13, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SubnormalityStairs posted:

You seem like a joy to work with.

So uhh, none of the people involved with interviewing you are allowed to go on vacation or get sick, lest they violate the 3 day rule?
How will you know its a technical interview ahead of time? And why are questions directly related to your ability to do the job off limits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

How will you know its a technical interview ahead of time? And why are questions directly related to your ability to do the job off limits?

For the first one is usually something answered in the initial screening call. Every tech recruiter I've ever talked to gave me an overview of what their general interview process looks like.

For the second, I didn't see anything saying questions directly related to the job were off limits. I think it's just not being willing to do the more complex technical screening that is normal for software types, like algorithm-hazing, system design, etc. Depending on what SubnormalityStairs considers a technical interview though, that might be pretty limiting especially if the goal is make figgieland numbers or something.