Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

To be honest my last job kind of sucked and I only realized this after I left it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I've been in this situation as well. Some technology was being EOL'd and I really pushed for replacing it with the modern version. My superior constantly blocked it even when I had it completely ready to go, and even after I did a presentation on it showing this. It collected virtual dust for literal months.

This would drive me completely batty and is a great way to demoralize employees that give a poo poo. On our team, if anyone sees an improvement, go for it! Do the due diligence to make sure it fits in well and won’t cause issues with the change but otherwise go hog wild. It drives a lot more investment and pride in what your are doing and any manager that doesn’t realize that is an idiot.

We have a company-wide culture of continuous improvement though, so much so that we hired a VP to drive it across the company a few years ago.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › [SPAM] FW: RE: my last job kind of sucked and I only realized this after I left it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

We were having an issue the last couple of weeks where our VOIP conference room phones would drop audio (but not the call, exactly) after 30-60 minutes.
Guess what the problem was? You know it.

for whatever reason, our DNS was geolocated to Hong Kong (we're in the US), which really pissed off VOIP. Other devices it was just a bit of a lag (though that may also explain our Teams video issues...) but VOIP is apparently very sensitive to transit times.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

8x8?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Bob Morales posted:

Or you get one like eight months later

I got a response seven months later from Spirit Airlines prompting me to update the application based on new additions to the application form: a single checkbox for "do you have a current passport?"

Continued silence after that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yes!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have the same problem and while using their own DNS servers does fix the problem, I’m still unconvinced that this isn’t a problem that 8x8 could solve - all Microsoft and Google services manage to geolocate properly to send traffic to data centres in the correct region and we’re here in Europe with endpoints connecting to Singapore. Their own documentation has examples of setting Google’s DNS servers in phones and then their support will insist that Google, Cloudflare, and Quad9 DNS isn’t supported.

My opinion on this is that 8x8 need to do some work on how they are routing traffic and their support have been instructed to find as many ways of blaming the customer networks as possible. Doesn’t help that for whatever reason their own network checker needs approval from support to run, there’s no need to limit the use of tools like that.

Looking at their own explainer of how they are achieving this, it seems like DNS servers that use anycast just completely throws them because they can’t attribute the requesting IP to a region https://community.8x8.com/communiti...ab=digestviewer

They should really be geolocating based on client IP address and have some logic for redirecting clients back to home regions if they end up in the wrong place - this is tricky with SIP but even manually assigning handsets to data centres would work, because it’s not like they move around. There’s no need to be clever here and it’s tripping them up.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 9, 2022

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

IT manager for subsidiary company posted:

On [user]'s machine, the printer is not being listed. I have updated windows 10, ran SFC scan and DISM and troubleshoot the printer but could not fix the issue. Can you please check?

Apparently "add the printer" didn't occur to them as a troubleshooting step :shrug:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

Apparently "add the printer" didn't occur to them as a troubleshooting step :shrug:

Adding the printer by hand will gently caress up machine-level printer GPO execution so I wouldn't touch the "add the printer" button either :shrug:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I hate printers.

We're having an issue with a bunch of new Windows 10 Pro machines that I can't install networked printers on. If I try to have the user add a printer they get an "Oops Something Happened" error telling them to contact the system administrator. If I try installing them using Admin credentials the progress bar moves about 10% of the way and stalls there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I blame PrintNightmare.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

I blame PrintNightmare.

Pretty sure you're not wrong.

Only thing that seems to work is bypassing the print server entirely and connecting via IP address.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I spent a fuckload of time on that poo poo. I ended up creating security groups that linked to a GPO that pushed a printer to the end user.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I spent a fuckload of time on that poo poo. I ended up creating security groups that linked to a GPO that pushed a printer to the end user.

That's the way to do it. Bonus points if you change the printer security so only that group can access it so no one can go around manually adding printers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet Explorer posted:

That's the way to do it. Bonus points if you change the printer security so only that group can access it so no one can go around manually adding printers.

I have almost 3 digits worth of security groups just for printers.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I can't even get GP to push the printers. They're set to be deployed via GP, and they should have all the deployment rights needed, but no go.

Can I somehow set GP to push printers using the printer's IP address instead of the print server share?

Edit: We're not a big org, so I don't need a ton of groups. Just 3 printers, installed on every domain joined workstation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

We have the same problem and while using their own DNS servers does fix the problem, I’m still unconvinced that this isn’t a problem that 8x8 could solve - all Microsoft and Google services manage to geolocate properly to send traffic to data centres in the correct region and we’re here in Europe with endpoints connecting to Singapore. Their own documentation has examples of setting Google’s DNS servers in phones and then their support will insist that Google, Cloudflare, and Quad9 DNS isn’t supported.

My opinion on this is that 8x8 need to do some work on how they are routing traffic and their support have been instructed to find as many ways of blaming the customer networks as possible. Doesn’t help that for whatever reason their own network checker needs approval from support to run, there’s no need to limit the use of tools like that.

Looking at their own explainer of how they are achieving this, it seems like DNS servers that use anycast just completely throws them because they can’t attribute the requesting IP to a region https://community.8x8.com/communiti...ab=digestviewer

They should really be geolocating based on client IP address and have some logic for redirecting clients back to home regions if they end up in the wrong place - this is tricky with SIP but even manually assigning handsets to data centres would work, because it’s not like they move around. There’s no need to be clever here and it’s tripping them up.

Thankfully, I don't have to actually deal with the phones, just assist in troubleshooting as directed.

We're setting that particular VLAN to use 8x8 DNS, though.
The routing issue was also causing issues with some other internal stuff, like enrolling and provisioning Macs in our MDM, so ultimately needed to be fixed enterprise-wide regardless.
Generally, we like 8x8 (versus Avaya) but it's pretty obvious that 8x8 is a young "cloud" company.

PremiumSupport posted:

Pretty sure you're not wrong.

Only thing that seems to work is bypassing the print server entirely and connecting via IP address.

Y'all still use print servers?
PrinterLogic has been the greatest thing I have ever seen regarding this stuff. So easy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

PrinterLogic isn't free. Either is my time but that's not important.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Listen, if *my* company paid for it, it’s worth it. We’re kind of cheapskates. (Don’t) ask me about how we buy just barely enough MS365 licenses then immediately run out when there’s more than a few new hires. And also don’t provide 365 licenses to interns and temps, necessitating a special snowflake image for just those folks with Office 2019 instead. Our Corp IT is stupid sometimes.

Edit: oh, also using open source Munki rather than JAMF to manage Macs. With *one* guy administrating it from Europe. Somehow we can’t seem to beat it into the heads of upper management that a bus factor of one, much less that one bing on another continent that uses different rules form the US group, is very bad. Did I mention that we’re a security company?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 10, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

PremiumSupport posted:

I can't even get GP to push the printers. They're set to be deployed via GP, and they should have all the deployment rights needed, but no go.

Can I somehow set GP to push printers using the printer's IP address instead of the print server share?

Edit: We're not a big org, so I don't need a ton of groups. Just 3 printers, installed on every domain joined workstation.
It’s related to the PrintNightmare stuff and there’s a few other settings needed to get point and print installations working again on regular accounts.

MS has an article on all the settings you can change now but I believe we had to allow non admins to install drivers and then specify the print servers they could print to and then specify the same set of print servers to be valid for point and print installations.

You can also see if there’s the new print drivers available from your manufacturer (I think it’s the v4 stuff?) since those should theoretically work as before with the key allowing non-admins to install drivers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are any big printer suppliers making type 4 drivers yet?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Are any big printer suppliers making type 4 drivers yet?

HP and Ricoh do, good luck having a driver not designed in the late nineties for kyocera or sharp tho

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The automatic transcription on our voicemail-to-email is usually good enough that you can at least get the gist, but sometimes it goes and gives you things like "voicemail lesbian"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Entropic posted:

The automatic transcription on our voicemail-to-email is usually good enough that you can at least get the gist, but sometimes it goes and gives you things like "voicemail lesbian"

My dream job 😍

A support escalation came in.

:v:Hello! How can we help you?
:) I can't open this document. It opens in two different adobes
:v: This is an excel file. You don't have Office on this machine so it's trying to open it in Acrobat.
:) I know this. I want it to open normal. We have office on the laptop
:v: Have you tried opening this on the laptop then?
:) I want it open on this machine.
:v: Then you would need excel installed. Would you like us to quote a license an labor to install?
:) No.
:v: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
:) can i get password access to admin computer
:v: You want the admin password?
:) Yes
:v: To one computer or all computers?
:) all computers.

Ticket escalation reason: Out of helpdesk scope

Now I get to have a long talk with someone about why a person who can't tell the difference between an xls and pdf file isn't getting a single character of the admin password ever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I commend your restraint for not asking "in the world?" after that last one.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I thought you weren't going to be helping the support team since you moved to onboarding?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Arquinsiel posted:

I commend your restraint for not asking "in the world?" after that last one.

"Is the internet down?"

"Oh hell, I hope not"

- Me very early on in my IT career

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’m 20 years in and I’ll still say that.

I got some feedback from my boss the other day. He said the CEO told him I’ve been way more positive lately when he runs into me into the bathroom.

Yay I guess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Is the internet down?"

"Oh hell, I hope not"

- Me very early on in my IT career
"That's where I keep my memes!"

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

SlowBloke posted:

HP and Ricoh do, good luck having a driver not designed in the late nineties for kyocera or sharp tho

Xerox and Canon also do, the problem with Type 4 at the moment is when installed directly they are fantastic and great, when they are installed from a server they are stripped down to Microsoft Point and Print with zero features.

Mercurius posted:

It’s related to the PrintNightmare stuff and there’s a few other settings needed to get point and print installations working again on regular accounts.

MS has an article on all the settings you can change now but I believe we had to allow non admins to install drivers and then specify the print servers they could print to and then specify the same set of print servers to be valid for point and print installations.

You can also see if there’s the new print drivers available from your manufacturer (I think it’s the v4 stuff?) since those should theoretically work as before with the key allowing non-admins to install drivers.

Just gonna throw what my org is doing on here to get printers installed:

• Temporary GPO Bypass – Use for when there is a larger number of users to keep from going to every machine to update every print driver
o Create a new Group Policy Object
o Link it to an Organizational Unit that contains the client’s Workstation
 The print server cannot be in this OU and the GPOs settings will prevent the Print server from working
o Change the following settings
 Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/Allow Print Spooler to accept client connections
• Set to Disabled

 Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/ Point and Print Restrictions
• Check, Users can only point and print to these servers
• Enter the fully qualified domain name of the printer server in the text box
• When installing driver for a new connection, set to Do not show warning or elevation prompt
• When updating driver for an existing connection, set to Do not show warning or elevation prompt

 Computer Configuration/Preferences/Registry
• Add a new Registry item
• Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
• Key path: SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint
• Value name: RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators
• Value Type: REG_DWORD
• Value Data: 0
o Save the run gpupdate on machine that should be affected
o Try to update print driver, check registry for changes

• Permanent Fixes
o Find a way to easily push out drivers to all end user’s workstations.
 I don’t have a solution at this point but will be researching over the next week or so
o Update Printer driver to use V4 printer drivers
 I have heard/read very mixed reviews when this is tried. V4 drivers, if the printer manufacturers made them, often do not have the same feature as the V3 printer drivers. Any change to V4 would have to test with client to verify printer driver(s) would still work for them

Keep in mind that this is not a perfect fix and does still allow for "rogue" print servers; you can add this if you want to restrict installation to specific servers:

• Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/Package Point and print - Approved servers
o Select Enable
o Enter the fully qualified domain name of the printer server in the text box

Eventually Type 4 drivers will be usable and all this will be moot. Hopefully. Someday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

My dream job 😍

A support escalation came in.

:v:Hello! How can we help you?
:) I can't open this document. It opens in two different adobes
:v: This is an excel file. You don't have Office on this machine so it's trying to open it in Acrobat.
:) I know this. I want it to open normal. We have office on the laptop
:v: Have you tried opening this on the laptop then?
:) I want it open on this machine.
:v: Then you would need excel installed. Would you like us to quote a license an labor to install?
:) No.
:v: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
:) can i get password access to admin computer
:v: You want the admin password?
:) Yes
:v: To one computer or all computers?
:) all computers.

Ticket escalation reason: Out of helpdesk scope

Now I get to have a long talk with someone about why a person who can't tell the difference between an xls and pdf file isn't getting a single character of the admin password ever.

How did that end up as an escalation?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

How did that end up as an escalation?

This went to our after hours support service. They do tier 1 and everything else is an escalation. We've seen some weird stuff come through because they basically float around in autopilot.

Also I was involved in this because this is a recently onboarded client that I'm still basically primary contact for them for another month or so as a courtesy 🤷‍♀️

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Oyster posted:

Xerox and Canon also do, the problem with Type 4 at the moment is when installed directly they are fantastic and great, when they are installed from a server they are stripped down to Microsoft Point and Print with zero features.

Just gonna throw what my org is doing on here to get printers installed:

• Temporary GPO Bypass – Use for when there is a larger number of users to keep from going to every machine to update every print driver
o Create a new Group Policy Object
o Link it to an Organizational Unit that contains the client’s Workstation
 The print server cannot be in this OU and the GPOs settings will prevent the Print server from working
o Change the following settings
 Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/Allow Print Spooler to accept client connections
• Set to Disabled

 Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/ Point and Print Restrictions
• Check, Users can only point and print to these servers
• Enter the fully qualified domain name of the printer server in the text box
• When installing driver for a new connection, set to Do not show warning or elevation prompt
• When updating driver for an existing connection, set to Do not show warning or elevation prompt

 Computer Configuration/Preferences/Registry
• Add a new Registry item
• Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
• Key path: SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint
• Value name: RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators
• Value Type: REG_DWORD
• Value Data: 0
o Save the run gpupdate on machine that should be affected
o Try to update print driver, check registry for changes

• Permanent Fixes
o Find a way to easily push out drivers to all end user’s workstations.
 I don’t have a solution at this point but will be researching over the next week or so
o Update Printer driver to use V4 printer drivers
 I have heard/read very mixed reviews when this is tried. V4 drivers, if the printer manufacturers made them, often do not have the same feature as the V3 printer drivers. Any change to V4 would have to test with client to verify printer driver(s) would still work for them

Keep in mind that this is not a perfect fix and does still allow for "rogue" print servers; you can add this if you want to restrict installation to specific servers:

• Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/Package Point and print - Approved servers
o Select Enable
o Enter the fully qualified domain name of the printer server in the text box

Eventually Type 4 drivers will be usable and all this will be moot. Hopefully. Someday.

Yeah, that's basically where I'm at currently with this issue. I've got GP set up the way you describe here as a temporary solution, but even that's not working. The deployment starts, but the progress bar never moves past 10%.

I can add non-print server networked printers, but afaik that has to be done on each individual machine rather than through GP.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

PremiumSupport posted:

Yeah, that's basically where I'm at currently with this issue. I've got GP set up the way you describe here as a temporary solution, but even that's not working. The deployment starts, but the progress bar never moves past 10%.

I can add non-print server networked printers, but afaik that has to be done on each individual machine rather than through GP.

1) is the print server affected by this GPO in any way?
2) gpupdate (or log off/log on) does not seem to be enough, it requires a full reboot (maybe because it's computer configuration? I'm still pretty new at this).

Also, if the error when manually adding from the server is 0x000011b there is a different fix regarding a registry entry.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Hi-larious moment on a call this morning.

:) Hey Agrikk, is (public facing app accessed by millions of people every day across the globe) down?

:argh: Wait, you don’t know?

:) nope! We don’t have monitoring for [massive, monster app] so we thought you could tell us.

:argh: have you tried logging in? What does it do?

:) no we haven’t tried that. We just saw a tweet saying [app] was down.

:argh: one tweet? Do you think it’s more likely that maybe that person is having internet issues , instead of [massive app] being down and only one person tweeting about it?

Never has so much fail been revealed in a five minute phone call:

1. The most important app you have isn’t being monitored.
2. You triggered an outage response based on a single tweet.
3. No one thought to verify the outage by, you know, trying out the app.
4. Your troubleshooting starts with calling us, your infra provider, rather than the developers who actually wrote it.

There was no outage.

My mind has been blown enough for a Friday, thanks. Sometimes I think my customer is like Blaster of MasterBlaster fame from Thunderdome- a gigantic, menacing brute with the mind of a child.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But I heard that The Cloud meant you didn't have to manage anything yourself??

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

My mind has been blown enough for a Friday, thanks. Sometimes I think my customer is like Blaster of MasterBlaster fame from Thunderdome- a gigantic, menacing brute with the mind of a child.

This, ime, describes every customer that ends up with their own TAM

If they weren't idiots, we wouldn't need to assign a TAM

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk, you should start linking your coworkers to https://stop.lying.cloud/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Oyster posted:

1) is the print server affected by this GPO in any way?
2) gpupdate (or log off/log on) does not seem to be enough, it requires a full reboot (maybe because it's computer configuration? I'm still pretty new at this).

Also, if the error when manually adding from the server is 0x000011b there is a different fix regarding a registry entry.

Yeah, unfortunately the way our AD is set up the server is in the same (only) OU as the rest of the computers. I do reboot the clients after each GP change.
Manual installation never produces an error. The progress bar just stops at 10%