Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Quinton has become nikocado avocado but for YouTube video lengths instead of force feeding himself food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Random places I scrolled through

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

No. That show is simply not worth MauLer level time length. Nothing MauLer does is either, but especially a tween sitcom.

Victorious is an especially illustrative example of this because CJ the X already did what I think we can all agree is exactly the amount of retrospective video content the show deserves and it clocked in at just under an hour and a half.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

Quinton put the Victorious video out and it's 8 hours lol

Man, I marvel at this guy. I managed to very slowly work my way through one of his older mega-videos and it took me a full week. Also I missed half of what he said. But it seemed solid work, from what I could glimpse.

Still, I'm not willing to sacrifice another full week for Quinton, so I'll pass until he learns to pace himself better. Or learns how to break a larger video into smaller parts.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 8, 2022

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m willing to be charitable and say that Victorious has enough in it for say three 60-90 minute videos examining themes or dan schnieder grossness or what have you

this is 900 minutes of recapping

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
You couldn't pay me to watch 8 hours of a grown man talking about a ten year old children's sitcom

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spek posted:

I don't know anything about payouts but I've been hearing that over the past few years or so "The Algorithm" has been favouring longer and longer videos for recommending to people. Something about the more watch-hours for your channel/video the more likely it is to be recommended. Someone watching(or falling asleep during) an 8 hour video could be better for getting recs than ten people watching a 30minute one.
I'm gonna guess this has something to do with the "new" idea of YouTube stuffing mid-roll ads in whereever it pleases them, which in turn means that those videos make more money for Alphabet, whose entire business is being underwritten by a monopoly in the ad-space.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
The defense of most long videos is "well they have a lot to say and cover" and this guy literally just reads a (presumably paper thin) plot synopsis of every episode for 8 hours

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

You couldn't pay me to watch 8 hours of a grown man talking about a ten year old children's sitcom

Bonus: it's part two

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Mokinokaro posted:

Bonus: it's part two

Yeah it’s closer to 14 hours altogether. I may have watched the first one but I can’t remember any of it if I did.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Froghammer posted:

oh you could absolutely pay me

the question would be the rate

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Whatever happened to brevity is the soul of wit.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

People got a lot of dishes and laundry to do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s so interesting about these Dan Schneider shows.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I assume the target audience is people who saw these as kids and understand they don’t want to actually watch them, but have some sort of nostalgia for them. I’ve watched some of them out of morbid curiosity. The iCarly one I made it like 20 minutes or so. The Fred one was a little more engaging, but I mean in the context that it’s still pretty awful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

iCarly part 1 was 4:45, part 2 was 3:35, total is 8:20.

Victorious part 1 was 5:35, part 2 is 8:05, total is 13:40.

We're 22 hours in and there's still one more show to go through. But the three videos so far are at 8.5 million views total, half of which comes from the Victorious video, so he's clearly doing something... eh, correct isn't the word. Successful? Sure.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Crosspeice posted:

iCarly part 1 was 4:45, part 2 was 3:35, total is 8:20.

Victorious part 1 was 5:35, part 2 is 8:05, total is 13:40.

We're 22 hours in and there's still one more show to go through. But the three videos so far are at 8.5 million views total, half of which comes from the Victorious video, so he's clearly doing something... eh, correct isn't the word. Successful? Sure.

I think I only got through most of iCarly 1 by playing Stellaris on my PC, maybe also something on my Switch? That second part I don't remember anything, I think I just let it run at the end of the Quinton Watch Week and fell asleep at some point in the middle

Based on that, watching videos twice as long would be kind of stupid, my retention rate would drop even farther, making much of Quinton's work a waste

I'm guessing the people "viewing" those videos do this similar like me: With Quinton droning soothingly in the background while they're doing something worthwhile with their lives, like sleeping

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Ad money.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I imagine most people making these lengthy videos think of it more like a bachelor thesis in video form than a stand-up routine tbh

In this paper we will discuss the show Victorious (Schneider et al, 2010[1])...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Froghammer posted:

:emptyquote:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I imagine most people making these lengthy videos think of it more like a bachelor thesis in video form than a stand-up routine tbh

In this paper we will discuss the show Victorious (Schneider et al, 2010[1])...

They should learn how to actually write a thesis first instead of projecting verbal diarrhea into their microphones for hours

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Gaius Marius posted:

They should learn how to actually write a thesis first instead of projecting verbal diarrhea into their microphones for hours

This would actually make videos bearable and I don't think that's what they're going for.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
if this is him exorcising some personal demons I'm not gonna stand in his way I couldn't force myself through 8 minutes of these sitcoms

surely after this there's not anymore more he could possibly milk out of it and will focus on projects of a less insane scope

right

right

toss me a bone here

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gnome de plume posted:

if this is him exorcising some personal demons I'm not gonna stand in his way I couldn't force myself through 8 minutes of these sitcoms

surely after this there's not anymore more he could possibly milk out of it and will focus on projects of a less insane scope

right

right

toss me a bone here
i'm assuming he'll be doing a video on Sam & Cat next

as for why he does it, probably these reasons

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1501315253988122625
https://twitter.com/bnanasmash/status/1501266142861553668

huge traffic, ad money & fanart

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

the real answer? There's a very real tragedy to them considering how, before you even do a deep dive to find the real horrors, it was such obviously Schneider's twisted little fetish playground much like those old youtube videos that were bizarre 'challenges' that just got kids to record their feet or whatever. There's a real strange feeling of horror to look at a show you may have grown up with and see how right in front of you was all this abuse.

Schneider himself is...I don't want to call HIM 'interesting' but he makes a good case study for how men like him can be protected by their industries.

I truly have no idea how Quinton can make so much about it while not talking about Schneider himself because boy were they just generic kid sitcoms. Like, even the only real long lasting story from it, how lovely Ariana Grande and Victoria Justice were treated on them, still has to involve talking about Schneider.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Yeah, this is definitely one of those videos where I can recommend it even if you don't think you're interested in the subject matter. Everyone in this thread already has plenty of time from not watching the new Quinton Reviews vid, so why not spend it here?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the real answer? There's a very real tragedy to them considering how, before you even do a deep dive to find the real horrors, it was such obviously Schneider's twisted little fetish playground much like those old youtube videos that were bizarre 'challenges' that just got kids to record their feet or whatever. There's a real strange feeling of horror to look at a show you may have grown up with and see how right in front of you was all this abuse.

Schneider himself is...I don't want to call HIM 'interesting' but he makes a good case study for how men like him can be protected by their industries.

I truly have no idea how Quinton can make so much about it while not talking about Schneider himself because boy were they just generic kid sitcoms. Like, even the only real long lasting story from it, how lovely Ariana Grande and Victoria Justice were treated on them, still has to involve talking about Schneider.

The "grown man talks 14 hours about a tween sitcom made by another grown man accused of inappropriate behavior and abuse towards children" is a genre that maybe didn't need to be created.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

But look at the numbers it's doing!

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
That fanart is such a self own and it has the same form of praise that I've seen about this videos: I liked another video he did, and this one is so long! Yay?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Libluini posted:

Still, I'm not willing to sacrifice another full week for Quinton, so I'll pass until he learns to pace himself better. Or learns how to break a larger video into smaller parts.

Oh, if you try to point that out to him he knows. Because that's what he's doing already. :v:

Yes, really.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The "grown man talks 14 hours about a tween sitcom made by another grown man accused of inappropriate behavior and abuse towards children" is a genre that maybe didn't need to be created.

I mean I guess it is at least a tween sitcom that came out when he was also presumably a tween. I'm just having a hard time thinking of an equivalent situation that might be relatable to other generations that makes what he's doing sound less insane

There's podcasts that riff exhaustively on Harry Potter but I'm having trouble articulating why those don't get the same reaction. Does Quinton actually critique any of the storylines in these things or is he really just doing straight play-by-plays with no additional commentary? Maybe that's the main difference

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I want a 14 hour GI Joe retrospective.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I want a 14 hour GI Joe retrospective.

hosted by Jeff Gerstmann

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I mean I guess it is at least a tween sitcom that came out when he was also presumably a tween. I'm just having a hard time thinking of an equivalent situation that might be relatable to other generations that makes what he's doing sound less insane

There's podcasts that riff exhaustively on Harry Potter but I'm having trouble articulating why those don't get the same reaction. Does Quinton actually critique any of the storylines in these things or is he really just doing straight play-by-plays with no additional commentary? Maybe that's the main difference

They’re like 75% synopsis, 23% discussion, 2% glasses commercial.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
long videos are awesome

you all just have short attention spans

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

long videos are awesome

you all just have short attention spans

That long AVGN video was top tier. Some long videos need like 9 more editing passes though.

Edit: this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmC5Zte5RnM

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I forgot to mention I watched the AVGN video and it was good. It even made the Simpsons point I made before watching it, lol. I checked out of AVGN long before all the screenwave poo poo and the plagarism stuff is kinda wild, but honestly the summary I got out of it is that James a somewhat out of touch 40 year old guy with a family to support and he now treats AVGN more like a source of income than a passion project which, fuckin' good for him.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sydin posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention I watched the AVGN video and it was good. It even made the Simpsons point I made before watching it, lol. I checked out of AVGN long before all the screenwave poo poo and the plagarism stuff is kinda wild, but honestly the summary I got out of it is that James a somewhat out of touch 40 year old guy with a family to support and he now treats AVGN more like a source of income than a passion project which, fuckin' good for him.

The Angus Young signature SG is one of the most dad tier guitars you can buy.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Blood Nightmaster posted:

the thing about podcasts is that they're more bitesized and also extended over a much longer duration so while they're a much larger time investment it's not upfront, shrieking shack has been going since 2018 for example

also podcasts about tv shows usually do one episode a podcast episode so they have time to actually cut into the episode proper instead of just regurgitating a wiki description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Recap podcasts (or story/lore explainer podcasts) almost always have multiple hosts which gives them a very different vibe too.