Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scut posted:

This rules. If I find I have the spending money some day I should commission one. Gerwalks will always steal the show.

I had one of those transforming kits, but it's small and really fiddly and I hopelessly hosed it up. It lives in a box in the closet with my N64 and vacuum. I think I cannibalized the gun for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From what I remember when I was interested in trying one out, the semi-recent Bandai transforming VF-1 kits were supposed to be kind of dodgy and floppy, but the VF-25 and 31s were ok (if sticker hell)? I'd still be worried about scraping the paint, had I ever painted a drat thing in my life.

If I did get a Bandai kit though I'd want to try out http://dalong.net/reviews/etc/md03/md03_p.htm , not because I have any connection to the show or the character but because a transforming Saab Draken is pretty cool

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

it turns out I don't hate painting, i just hate paint

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

the paradigm shift posted:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
You just haven't found the right paint yet.

Probably because it doesn't exist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There are some absolute mad lads on Facebook:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

the paradigm shift posted:

I like painting :3:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I'm off-and-on kitbashing together this hovercar, inspired by the game Brigador. Still quite a way to go, and what you see here is barely held together as I try to keep sub-assemblies apart for work, but I really like this thing.

I needed a display stand for it, as the 'skid plate' on the bottom isn't a suitable surface at such a steep angle. The shop I work at recently rebuilt a Stihl MS880 chain saw, leaving the old piston aside as scrap. The MS880 is the most powerful chain saw they make (it puts out over 8hp!) so I thought it worked thematically with the rat-rod sci-fi aesthetic I'm aiming for. I drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the piston and used a stainless rod I salvaged from a dead office printer as a retort rod to hold up the model.

The main sub-assemblies here are tacked together with dabs of hot glue just to get some sense of the overall envelope, so the alignments are poor. I'll be tearing it down tonight to get access to the guts again.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

That scene is going to be on every contest table in every model show for years!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I've been looking for a good Russian armor or truck model and some good modern civilian figures to do something similar.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

You just haven't found the right paint yet.

Probably because it doesn't exist.

This is how I felt until I discovered airbrushing Mr Color lacquers mixed with Hataka lacquer thinner - and controversially not 'unicorn tears' aka Mr Levelling Thinner. However, Tamiya mixed with MLT is a close second, tied with Colourcoats enamels thinned with MLT.

Water-based acrylics are all a real pain though.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

MrUnderbridge posted:

There's a bunch of guys who have never done farm equipment quickly buying JD tractors.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

tidal wave emulator posted:

This is how I felt until I discovered airbrushing Mr Color lacquers mixed with Hataka lacquer thinner - and controversially not 'unicorn tears' aka Mr Levelling Thinner. However, Tamiya mixed with MLT is a close second, tied with Colourcoats enamels thinned with MLT.

Same except SMS acrylic lacquers. No thinner required 9 times out of 10.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

In a similar vein, Mig 29 kits and Ukrainian digital camo masking sets are now sold out across the web as every aircraft modeler out there is now building a Ghost of Kiev model.

I spotted this mock-up of a Zvezda Ghost of Kiev kit that's been doing the rounds on fb.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Doubt if Zvezda would be doing one! ICM, if they weren't under attack.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I'm sure if Zvezda actually tried to make that kit they'd all be put on a one way train to Siberia. That photoshop is fooling a lot of folk at the moment though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That also doesn't follow the typical layout of Zvezda boxes (full English and Russian title). I wonder if they make any agricultural tractors though...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sudden demand for 1/35 tractors

e: this aggression shall not stand

https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...MHblKyvgg=s2048

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 9, 2022

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've only used unicorn tears and grey poupon for thinning my paints. What is it about Hataka that you prefer over MCLT?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I've only used unicorn tears and grey poupon for thinning my paints. What is it about Hataka that you prefer over MCLT?

It seems to give a, for want of a better word, 'softer' finish and at least in my experience is far more forgiving in terms of dilution ratios. I guess the paint comes out a bit more matte using it than MLT which is supposed to give a glossier finish but if I don't get it right turns out a bit pebbly. I'm awful at spraying clear/gloss coats so that's probably a big factor.

I've got a bottle of Mr Rapid Thinner which I've not tried yet but is supposed to be good stuff.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/kylemizokami/status/1501743157737783302?s=21

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Those models will be sold out and scalped on eBay within days.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've got a bottle of Mr Rapid Thinner which I've not tried yet but is supposed to be good stuff.

I wonder if that rapid thinner is just leveling thinner without the retarder, aka hardware store lacquer thinner. Which isn't actually a bad thing. I use straight lacquer thinner with Mr. Color paints when I want to build up a lot of thin coats fast.

edit: is there a backstory to the tractor pulling the tank?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not 100% sure if you're joking or just isolating yourself from the news out of despair for humanity, but yes. It's a very current affairs subject to build.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

:utruck:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I wonder if that rapid thinner is just leveling thinner without the retarder, aka hardware store lacquer thinner. Which isn't actually a bad thing. I use straight lacquer thinner with Mr. Color paints when I want to build up a lot of thin coats fast.

edit: is there a backstory to the tractor pulling the tank?

A lot of Russian armor is being abandoned in Ukraine and local farmers are hooking it up and pulling it away with farm equipment.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Midjack posted:

A lot of Russian armor is being abandoned in Ukraine and local farmers are hooking it up and pulling it away with farm equipment.

They've done this with multiple anti air missile launchers worth like ten million. It's mind boggling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They've done this with multiple anti air missile launchers worth like ten million. It's mind boggling.

Igor is now proud owner of a 20-Million-Dollar mobile SAM launcher :ukraine:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, very heavy "for a horseshoe nail the kingdom was lost" vibes.

I think those air defense Pantsir trucks cost ~ $20 million, and they are being lost partially because Russia went cheap out on tires and didn't do basic bitch maintenance. According to one guy on twitter, anyway, you can see the wheel bearings on one Pantsir leaking oil, and that's because the seal dried out because the truck sat for a year.

The fighting Ukrainian tractor division is definitely a meme

On the plus side, lots of pictures and video of modern armor in the field?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nebakenezzer posted:

pictures and video of modern armor in the field?

Sometimes.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1502287487552606209

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sometimes you're in the field, and sometimes you're in the field.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Maybe the Russians have been backfilling armour crews with submariners?

I took a break from wooden ships to do some miniatures, specifically some Battletech stuff. I've got an Orion and an Atlas done so far:

It's a bit washed out because my photographic skills aren't great, but the white was achieved by a solid basecoat of white with a diluted blue-black wash over top and then a heavy dry brush of more white over top of that. It suggests white without being stark white and has quite a nice texture that adds a lot in terms of a sense of scale. On top of this, I did some rust and grime streaking with other washes, splotching with dabs of white, rust marks and battle damage.

I have done quite a bit of miniatures in the past, being a reformed Warhammer player, but I don't think I have painted one since 2016-- a transcontinental move forced me to leave all of my hobby supplies in storage on the other side of North America. I've since gotten into wooden models and was recently reunited with my Windsor and Newton brushes and have always enjoyed the Mechwarrior games and Battletech as a whole so I went out and picked up some miniatures (which were shockingly inexpensive compared to Warhammer) to put brush to plastic once again. I have since learned that I need to use a magnifier as the close in work is hard on my eyes and I think my hands tend to shake more than they used to. Still, I'm happy with the results.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 11, 2022

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

from PYF:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Scroll up :utruck:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fearless posted:

Maybe the Russians have been backfilling armour crews with submariners?

I took a break from wooden ships to do some miniatures, specifically some Battletech stuff. I've got an Orion and an Atlas done so far:

It's a bit washed out because my photographic skills aren't great, but the white was achieved by a solid basecoat of white with a diluted blue-black wash over top and then a heavy dry brush of more white over top of that. It suggests white without being stark white and has quite a nice texture that adds a lot in terms of a sense of scale. On top of this, I did some rust and grime streaking with other washes, splotching with dabs of white, rust marks and battle damage.

I have done quite a bit of miniatures in the past, being a reformed Warhammer player, but I don't think I have painted one since 2016-- a transcontinental move forced me to leave all of my hobby supplies in storage on the other side of North America. I've since gotten into wooden models and was recently reunited with my Windsor and Newton brushes and have always enjoyed the Mechwarrior games and Battletech as a whole so I went out and picked up some miniatures (which were shockingly inexpensive compared to Warhammer) to put brush to plastic once again. I have since learned that I need to use a magnifier as the close in work is hard on my eyes and I think my hands tend to shake more than they used to. Still, I'm happy with the results.
Those look great. Very similar technique to how I painted my Comguard's base colour.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Those look great. Very similar technique to how I painted my Comguard's base colour.

Thank you for your kind words. I adapted it from the recipe that I used for my pre-heresy World Eaters, and which is a modified version of the Forge World approach to white armour (for World Eaters, anyways). White's a tricky colour but the more I have done it, the more I like it and the hazard stripes seem to fit well and make my mechs look less like a heavily armed telecommunications company.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A discord server I’m on is having Arts and Craft month so I went ahead and pulled out a Trumpeter 1:144 WW2 LCM landing craft.

This is way too small a scale for this thing and many little bits have been eaten by the carpet monster.

I still have the decals and life rings to put on but that’s going to wait for a caffeine-free day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fearless posted:

Thank you for your kind words. I adapted it from the recipe that I used for my pre-heresy World Eaters, and which is a modified version of the Forge World approach to white armour (for World Eaters, anyways). White's a tricky colour but the more I have done it, the more I like it and the hazard stripes seem to fit well and make my mechs look less like a heavily armed telecommunications company.

I went with a bright shiny parade scheme. The only real difference is I made the black wash excessive and then dusted with the white spray again before the drybrush. Sadly the entire pair of Level IIs took a tumble as I was packing everything up to move, so I'll have to work out how to carefully repaint just the chipped bits. Might end up masking it somehow.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

I went with a bright shiny parade scheme. The only real difference is I made the black wash excessive and then dusted with the white spray again before the drybrush. Sadly the entire pair of Level IIs took a tumble as I was packing everything up to move, so I'll have to work out how to carefully repaint just the chipped bits. Might end up masking it somehow.

I've had to go back in and touch up white areas on mine and what has helped is using a stippling kind of brush stroke and thinned out white paint to gradually work up towards the desired colour rather than using a thicker paint more heavily. Whatever wash you used can be also stippled in there to help mask the touch up too. I did that on the rust marks on the Atlas especially-- I looked at some of them and felt that they were entirely too massive for an active war machine so I went back in with white and dabbed that on around the edges of the rust mark to give it a kind of chipped paint look, and the thinned out white really suggests depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

The Orion is such a great example of Battletech aesthetic. Just so ugly but in a way that looks so awkward it must fight like hell.